If JK and GH don't want to come to the NYK what makes you think LJ would want to?

johnstarky

Rotation player
Not that I am trying to sound negative but most of you already know that few superstar players in the NBA like to play for a losing organization.Even general managers from contending teams don't like to sign free agents from teams that average 50 losses a season.Not that they're in the prime of their careers but it didn't take a long time for Jason Kidd and Grant Hill to turn down the Knicks for better teams.These are two players that are hungry for a championship and recognize that playing for a team such as the Knicks will probably not even get them to the playoffs.With the rest of the league making moves to improve their rosters it will be very difficult for the Knicks to compete for anything next season.I doubt that the Knicks will trade for Chris Bosh or get rid of Eddie McFlurry and Jumping Jacks Jeffries' contracts in the next few months.If they re-sign Lee and Robinson I could see the Knicks winning 35-40 games next season.

As for Lebron James, it's difficult for me to see him coming to the Knicks.He grew up near Cleveland, has a better chance of winning a couple of championships in Cleveland, probably won't come to an organization that has a losing culture, and with the NBA salary cap decreasing do you think that he would want to be surrounded by mediocre players on a team that has made one playoff appearence in the last 8 years? What if he gets all our hopes up by showing interest in the Knicks but ends up changing his mind at the last minute? You can't believe anything an athlete says these days until he actually makes his decision.The only possible way that Lebron comes to the Knicks is if his team gets eliminated in the playoffs next season and he catches a desire to be part of Donnie Walsh's and Mike D'antoni's rebuilding process.

Looks like there is a major possibility that the 2010 plan won't turn out the way that many Knick fans envision it and the Knicks have to learn how to become a championship contender through the draft and through making the right trades.It will probably take Donnie Walsh at least 5 to 6 years to make the NYK a team that can compete with the best teams in the league and when you look back at the lengthy years of Scott Layden and Isiah Thomas five years of rebuilding doesn't seem like a long time.

CoolClyde

The difference between LBJ, GH and JK

Please.... why the negative nancy? The difference between LBJ accepting a max contract to play in the greatest venue in the greatest city, and earning twice as much in endorsements, and 2 declining players in their mid-late 30's deciding to stay with their teams? BIG DIFF! I'm glad old man kidd and over-the-hill are not coming...

have faith brother, the team we have now, and what we'll have by the end of this season is the true test of Donnie Walsh (and hopefully Chris Mullen).

I see Curry and Jefferies both being gone (unless Curry returns to "form"),
and 2010 in place to receive greatness...
:crossfingers:

Oldtimer

Rotation player
2010?

I had some similar thoughts to JStarky upon news of G. Hill's decision to stay in Phoenix. One could read it as suggesting that the NBA players to not believe that LeBron is coming to New York in 2010. If he were, Hill could have expected two years with him.

But cap space is important and eliminating bad contracts by 2010 is not a bad idea with or without LeBron coming. I still believe that we will work something out with Dallas and take T-Mac's contract for Curry and Mobley's 80% insured contract.
Can't wait to see some videos next week of a slimmed down Curry running down the floor.

We still need a point guard and I am not terribly excited about Andre Miller for the long term.

Not having a 2010 draft pick hurts

mafra

Legend
If Lebron was on the Knicks last year, they probably make it to the conference finals.

NYK have Chandler (6"9') & Danilo (6"10').... LJ saw first hand when he played ORL (how having versatile swingmen who are tall; Turko & Lewis are very useful)....

Let's also say, what if Harrington stays... He's another one of those types.

NOW, what if Hill & Douglas show they have game?

You have to admit.... Moving fwd.... Knicks have more talent.... younger talent. CLE is OLD.... very old. Not too athletic either.

Now, a lot of this depends on the kids: Chanlder, Gallineri, Hill & Douglas. If they show improvement & potential.... Now you have something to build upon.

Also, the DW plan is to attract 2 players. If Lebron decides to come here, then he'll bring another pal (like how Artest went to play with Kobe).

So... what if Wade & Lebron both decide to play together in NY.

I'm sure.... that might be enough to keep a Darko or Curry here, along with a Duhon or Harrington. Who knows.

What if David Lee or N8te stay as well?

But, who is this a bad team?

Wade
Chandler
Lebron
Gallineri
Lee

With Harrington, Hill, Douglas, Darko and Duhon off the bench

Seriously, are you telling me CLE is better? BOS? ORL? Please.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
I don't think you're being negative at all. You're being a realist. Yes it's New York and yes Dano runs a fast pace offense and all but the team has to make the playoffs and show that they can compete. The media refers to the Knicks players as mercenaries. Everyone knows next year the entire team will be gone mines 4 or 5 guys. That's not enough stability for most All-Star players.

List of free agent class of 2010/11 Season
LeBron James
Dawyne Wade
Chris Bosh
Amare Stoudemire

Joe Johnson
Paul Pierce
Manu Ginobili
Dirk Nowitzki
Yao Ming
Tracy McGrady
Richard Jefferson
Michael Redd
T.J. Ford
Josh Howard
Tyson Chandler
Mike Miller
Steve Nash

Most of these players are likely to stay put. Movers could include:
Michael Redd, Dawyne Wade, Chris Bosh, Amare Stoudemire, Tracy McGrady, T.J. Ford (IMO).

With the exception of Chris Bosh all of the players on this list are currently apart of teams that are far better than the Knicks. 2010 may not be what we all hope. Knicks will be lucky to get Wade but will most likely get Michael Redd or Chris Bosh.

dave2138

Rotation player
you are taking this off season way too seriously.. Jason Kidd and Grant Hill didn't sign here because the Knicks are not a "win-now" team. They are still in the process of rebuilding and will be so until they sign their superstar through FA which is pretty much a guarantee. The Knicks will get a guy to build around next season despite the negativity because its too tempting not to turn down an offer of being able to turn around a NY franchise.

dave2138

Rotation player
As for Lebron James, it's difficult for me to see him coming to the Knicks.He grew up near Cleveland, has a better chance of winning a couple of championships in Cleveland, probably won't come to an organization that has a losing culture, and with the NBA salary cap decreasing do you think that he would want to be surrounded by mediocre players on a team that has made one playoff appearence in the last 8 years?

Umm based on what..as of now Cleveland has only Varajeo, Gibson and Williams as players signed past 2010..Cleveland will be in the same boat we are next year trying to persuade Lebron to play with them with an average supporting roster.. Winning will have no effect on Lebron's decision since he will win anywhere. Cleveland has like 6 seasons to build a championship team around Lebron, but failed to do so. NY would automatically become like Boston and the Lakers in that players like Artest, Rasheed Wallace will sign for MLE just to play for a title contender.