Free Agency Has Been a Total Wash For Us....

Scribbles

Rotation player
I'm sorry like damn, no significant trades, no signings...with very little left to be excited about signing.

Getting bent ass backwards and raped by Phoenix and Dallas.

......at least free up some cap space.

Damn, the Knicks are a laughing stock now. G.Hill turned down NY for 2 million less...for a Phoenix team that's breaking the walls down to reconstruct when we are just building....

Can we get something right this offseason?

It's enough we got our gape opened on Draft Night.

****..... :teeth:

TunerAddict

Starter
I don't see anything wrong with what we've done.

We drafted well...

We didn't pay any guys that are over the hill and wouldn't be a determining factor for us...

Whats to complain about?

Its not like we refused trades for Curry or Jeffries...

Shit, if ppl are mad at this, then I guess we should be mad that Walsh didn't convince Danny Ferry to trade us LeBron for Curry and Jeffries...

New New York

Quiet Storm
I see your point to an extent...But you have to take into account that how the David Lee situation has played out! Again Walsh said David is going to have to prove that he is worth 10 million, basically calling his agents bluff and it worked wonderfully!

We have avoided getting burned in dealing w/ Nate Rob's contract. Again Isiah would've used 20 million to resign both of them back in October 2008

And stop me if I'm wrong...but wasnt these two players contracts the biggest issue we had to deal with coming into the offseason? Not the signing of Jason Kidd or Grant Hill! I think Walsh has handled the percieved biggest issues very well; I mean come on who of us really thought we would get Kidd! Who of us really thought Hill was going to make that big an impact?

Look Dallas is in a much, much better situation than us right now, and even in a rebuilding situation, Phoenix is a better situation than us right now, so it makes sense why these players didnt come to NY.

Missing out on two players past their prime for the Full MLE is not a loss its a blessing.

Now Portland is having a rough offseason! Darius Miles' contract limits their activity, and they get snubbed by Hedo, and are too scared to pursue Lee.

The Rockets are having a rough off season! They lose their franchise player for the season, get snubbed by Gorat for their in state rival, trade the backbone of their gutty run in the playoffs this year (Artest) for a poor mans version of him (Ariza)

Minny is having a rough offseason! They trade away two good players for a pick that amounts to nothing!

The Knicks are having an uneventful off season, I'll take not using the MLE on the 1994 Co-Rookies of the year over losing Yao, top FA's bolting after a verbal commitment or your lottery pick refusing to play for you.

dave2138

Rotation player
I disagree with you scribbles..this is probably the best off season for the knicks in like the past 10 years just because they didn't do anything stupid. They didn't take on any bad contracts or trade any draft picks. I can't really judge until something happens with Lee and Robinson, but I think whatever move is made it will be the most cost efficient and most benefial to the team from 2010/2011+ and not for this season. As long as that happens..us knick fans cant complain.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
It was a long shot and honestly Jason Kidd or Grant Hill isn't going to make much of a difference anyway. Honestly I'm glad we didn't get Grant Hill - I was hoping they could get him for the bi-annual exception, but 5 million dollars for a 36 year old injury-prone small forward is a little excessive.

Yeah, we didn't get the free agents we wanted. But we did something even better - Walsh successfully called David Lee's bluff. Lee's agent tried to get him 12 million a year. He'll be lucky if he gets him the MLE at this point. If we can retain Lee while signing two free agents in 2010, that'll be much better than if we had signed Hill and/or Kidd and can only sign one free agent in 2010 (and had to let go of Lee).

All in all things didn't work out as awesome as we wanted but that doesn't mean we missed out on our golden opportunities - after all 2010 is the free agency year that we're really worried about, not 2009.

Blumatic

Rotation player
I agree that our off-season has been sans stupidity. I love that. But if ths off-season tells anythin it confirms the fact that the Knicks need to make it to the playoffs next year or great players will pass us by like this year.

From what I've read Kidd and Hill were close to signing, the mystic of he Garden and NYC played a huge part but they don't want to lose a lot of games in this part of their career. Money does talk but losing can nag like an ungrateful housewife.

It is imperative that we make the playoffs this season but with out legitmate leadership on the floor, it may be difficult for us. Our draft picks seem like tough players hopefully they will help.

D'antoni better be doing some defense research, Playoffs or bust.

If we had a season like the Bulls did and with that epic 7 game series with the C's we would definitely be on our way.

Scribbles

Rotation player
Though old, Kidd woulda still brought a different dynamic to our squad and woulda really beefed up our backcourt.

I wasn't so big on G. Hill too much though.

It's just been embarassing as a fan seeing everyone just stick their dick in our organization. Pretty discouraging....

We still haven't done anything vast to improve from last year IMO.

Draft Night

- We lose out in the Rubio/Evans/Curry sweepstakes.

- Toney is a nice acquisition from what I see of his highlights but is still a question mark nonetheless.

- Jordan Hill can be a solid player but is there room for him now that it's looking like D. Lee will be back. How many 4s are gonna have this year?!

- Darko Trade - mehhhh......

FA Signing Period

- We pull out the red carpet for J. Kidd and G. Hill and sit here a week later 0/2. Quite embarrassing....

- The East is continuing to get bigger, stronger and adding depth to their roster.

- Even with some good assets and intangibles, nothing is brewing on the trade front for an upgrade to our roster....

All I'm saying is, we need to start executing now like we want to compete this upcoming season. Don't no Knicks fan want another 30 win season just so we can get raped next summer yet again (Utah Draft Pick/LeBron & Wade spurning us)....

TunerAddict

Starter
Though old, Kidd woulda still brought a different dynamic to our squad and woulda really beefed up our backcourt.

I wasn't so big on G. Hill too much though.

It's just been embarassing as a fan seeing everyone just stick their dick in our organization. Pretty discouraging....

We still haven't done anything vast to improve from last year IMO.

Draft Night

- We lose out in the Rubio/Evans/Curry sweepstakes.

- Toney is a nice acquisition from what I see of his highlights but is still a question mark nonetheless.

- Jordan Hill can be a solid player but is there room for him now that it's looking like D. Lee will be back. How many 4s are gonna have this year?!

- Darko Trade - mehhhh......

FA Signing Period

- We pull out the red carpet for J. Kidd and G. Hill and sit here a week later 0/2. Quite embarrassing....

- The East is continuing to get bigger, stronger and adding depth to their roster.

- Even with some good assets and intangibles, nothing is brewing on the trade front for an upgrade to our roster....

All I'm saying is, we need to start executing now like we want to compete this upcoming season. Don't no Knicks fan want another 30 win season just so we can get raped next summer yet again (Utah Draft Pick/LeBron & Wade spurning us)....

What trades can we make? Seriously. Staying pat this offseason is probably the best option available.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
The draft was a huge disappointment. The fact that Walsh was even considering Hill was asinine. Protect the cap at all cost, then add to it by a few mill for Hill? That makes sense. (not really) Kid's leadership may have been worth the risk but I think we all knew that he was just using the Knicks for leverage. You're not going to find an aging point guard that doesn't have a championship wanting to play for the Knicks, not even Nash...

The abundance of power forwards leads me to believe that there will be a sign in trade at some point. Or it could be that Darko is just here to ride the bench. Who knows with this team. We should all be hoping Curry comes back strong. He'll never be traded if he can't play, preferably at a high level. Personally if we couldn't trade both Curry and Jeffries I'd be ok with just trading Jeffries. Curry, when conditioned has a much higher upside.

paris401

Starter
i guess the roster we see now, is what we will see this season... and i can accept another $hitty season waiting for the class of 2010... but what happens if the class of 2010 decides to stay home, or sign elsewhere.. if that happens send donnie down to florida to be as ass't to isiah...

NYKnicks15

Starter
i hate to join the total disagreement of this thread BUT this has probably been one of the best off seasons for the knicks in quite sometime (besides the drafting of lee/nate/frye which sadly isiah did not bad at) and the main reason being is because we did stay put.

even though I agreed with the attempts to sign Kidd and Hill.. when another team is adding on years for two guys who although would add great leadership to the team but who would also add three years to our salary cap and are already over 35 you just say no. and thats what we did.

when david is asking for varajeo money haha and nate near the same and you are smart enough to play it down and wait around what happens? toronto grabs Turk.. Portland attempts to grab Millsap.. Randolph goes to the Grizzlies.. cap space is disappearing by the minute and that puts us in a great position.

with the cap going down in 2010 (which i think is sterns way of stopping dynasties making each team relevant) we need as much room as possible.. so lets weigh out our options demand Curry to the summer league which we did and try to ship him out and see if any offers come for a jeffries/? whoever deal. and good point donchris (what up man haha) if we could just rid ourselves of Jeffries.. and Curry plays decent all season ENOUGH to trade him next offseason we will be GREAT

playing it smart for once New York