Chris Wilcox leaves NY (signs w/ DET)

mafra

Legend
"The Pistons and free agent Chris Wilcox have agreed to a two-year, $6 million deal, according to ESPN.com."

Oh well.... one less big guy who doesn't like basketball on our roster. Didn't think we would sign him anyway.

Kiyaman

Legend
After having only one bigman in the rotation all season, u would think the Knicks would go after alot of rebounding bigmen for next season.

Darko has been the NBA Joke since being drafted at # 2 pick.
Curry dont want to be another Zach & Crawful traded 10 games in the season, he is a ball injury away from spending another season in beloved N.Y..
Harrington been traded from Atlanta to Indiana to GS to the Knicks b/c he dont have any ability or talent to even be a backup PF (when J.O'Neal got injured it only took two games for G.M. Larry Bird to see how useless Harrington was at the PF position).
Gallo is a post-up shooter that have no position in the NBA....the same as Kukoc & Steve Kerr on the Championship Bulls when "Rodman, Pippin, Jordan, and Harper averaged 36 mpg for three years straight.
Kukoc & Kerr came in the game as postup shooters.
Jordan Hill is a one or 2 years in progress (depending if the Knicks would give him half of all the "5" training coaches they got for Gallo) of being a double-double PF.
All of the other Bigmen the Knicks have on their Summer League Roster seem to need 1 more year of college B-Ball to understand down low position on both sides of the court.

The Knicks 2010 plan is more of a "JOKE" than Layden & Isiah put together. There is no patience when an organization trade 9 players (thats right! nine-players) in just one year and get back nothing in return but a hire salary cap for players the D.League would not resign.

David Lee should up his demand from $10M to $12M for the Knicks for a one year offer.....for those who dont understand why then go hang-out on the Minny-Wolves board, or better yet go support a 8 year player Crawful that has no playoff experience...

KBlack25

Starter
The Knicks 2010 plan is more of a "JOKE" than Layden & Isiah put together.

This has to be sarcasm, otherwise it's the most idiotic statement I've read on this board (and that includes posts by abcd).

People are too hung up on what free agents will sign here in 2010, when that's only half of the issue. Isiah had us in salary cap hell until 2012, no flexibility, no moving of players, and I guarantee if he still had a job we'd have even more bad contracts that tied us into hundreds of millions of dollars.

The point of the "2010 Plan" is to get us out from under the rock that was Isiah's grandiose plans. Even if we sign no one, and I mean exactly ZERO players in 2010, at least we have the flexibility to make a play at players, make a trade here or there. Without any salary flexibility, you get stuck making trades that work out worse at the end of the day.

The 2010 plan, in the grand scheme of things is not necessarily to land LeBron, it's to be able to even have a CHANCE at getting somebody. You see how other teams are able to sign big time talent? How do you think they did that? They got under the cap and gave themselves cap flexibility, without that there's no SHOT of getting these guys.

If you'd rather have Isiah or Scott Layden running the team, well there's just no help for you.

It's not about 2010 solely, it's about being able to make a play later on, being able to be flexible enough to take on salary:

If LeBron James ultimately decides to stay in Cleveland, the Knicks have a number of fallback options to target in the next few summers.

In 2011, guys like Carmelo Anthony and Kevin Durant are expected to hit the free agent market.

If Anthony and Durant don't move to New York, then Chris Paul and Deron Williams could become options in the summer of 2012.

Kiyaman

Legend
Lets look at this from a wider version

K-Black....I been a Knick Fan way to long to know when Chekett, Grunfield, Layden, Isiah, or Walsh, make a move or the upstairs office make a move.

Pat Riley put this Knick Organization on "Blast" when he quit after the Finals.

The Knick organization owner have to many assets in New York from "Radio City, Optimum Cable, to MSG, ect., ect." where he wanted to keep the value of all his assets together above the Billion dollar level.
Even if he had to keep the Knick players salary cap above $80M so he could pay luxury tax.
Its no different from any man that adds on to his property or house to bring the price value-up so the Bank would value his worth to the bank at that price.

Are you sure the lowering the salary cap was Walsh idea.....with the Economy droping and the barrels of oil at an all time high which was raising prices on every items b/c shipping takes oil to get these item out so people will start tightening up their wallet from spending like they once did.
This sounds more like one of the Dolan's accountants or stock brokers giving him a heads up on the future economy with a losing NBA team?

Any long time NBA & ABA Fan knows that Isiah Thomas would never Hire Larry Brown to shine his shoes. Let alone stab a friend in the back (Dumars) during the time of both the East and Championship Finals. Plus give Larry Brown a salary that was more than coach Phil Jackson.
Isiah Thomas is crooked but he has never been that slimy and stupid.

Do u actually believe that Isiah Thomas would make a trade for Steve Francis to chalenge his pet player Marbury for the PG position, plus trade his 2nd round pride and joy Trevor Ariza with Penny ending contract to Orlando so they can go after FA Lewis?
Do u actually want me to believe that Isiah traded Nazr to the Spurs (so they could win the Championship) when all coach Mark Aquire kept talking about was all the talent Nazr had that was not used in Atlanta?
U actually want me to believe that sucker Colango who was stuck with Marbury, Penny, and Chambers huge long contracts pulling the Phoenix Suns down the drain with thier cancer attitude in the roster forced Isiah into taking injury-prone Penny Hardaway huge long contract that no one on this earth would take under any circumstance....just to get Marbury?
Isiah would steal candy from a baby and sell it back to the parents....I dont buy any of those decision making moves comming from Isiah.

K-Black....are u serious? u remember how Isiah fired coach Chaney without informing him, plus trading everyone of Layden players every other week.
News Flash....why would Isiah fire Chaney and trade all the players and keep Herb Williams as the assistant coach when Isiah brang Mark Aquire for that position? do u actually think all the Knicks Headcoaches starting with Lenny Wilkins, Larry Brown, Isiah, and Dantoni wanted Herb Williams as their assistant coach???

Kiyaman

Legend
This has to be sarcasm, otherwise it's the most idiotic statement I've read on this board (and that includes posts by abcd).

People are too hung up on what free agents will sign here in 2010, when that's only half of the issue. Isiah had us in salary cap hell until 2012, no flexibility, no moving of players, and I guarantee if he still had a job we'd have even more bad contracts that tied us into hundreds of millions of dollars.

The point of the "2010 Plan" is to get us out from under the rock that was Isiah's grandiose plans. Even if we sign no one, and I mean exactly ZERO players in 2010, at least we have the flexibility to make a play at players, make a trade here or there. Without any salary flexibility, you get stuck making trades that work out worse at the end of the day.

The 2010 plan, in the grand scheme of things is not necessarily to land LeBron, it's to be able to even have a CHANCE at getting somebody. You see how other teams are able to sign big time talent? How do you think they did that? They got under the cap and gave themselves cap flexibility, without that there's no SHOT of getting these guys.

If you'd rather have Isiah or Scott Layden running the team, well there's just no help for you.

It's not about 2010 solely, it's about being able to make a play later on, being able to be flexible enough to take on salary:

Put it right....what did we get back for the 9 players we gave out? did we get one or two players that will lure an interest from one of the FA?

The Knicks 2010 plan is more of a "JOKE" than Layden & Isiah put together.
There is no patience when an organization trade 9 players (thats right! nine-players) in just one year and get back nothing in return but a hire salary cap for players the D.League would not resign.

KBlack25

Starter
K-Black....I been a Knick Fan way to long to know when Chekett, Grunfield, Layden, Isiah, or Walsh, make a move or the upstairs office make a move.

The Knick organization owner have to many assets in New York from "Radio City, Optimum Cable, to MSG, ect., ect." where he wanted to keep the value of all his assets together above the Billion dollar level.
Even if he had to keep the Knick players salary cap above $80M so he could pay luxury tax.
Its no different from any man that adds on to his property or house to bring the price value-up so the Bank would value his worth to the bank at that price.

Are you sure the lowering the salary cap was Walsh idea.....with the Economy droping and the barrels of oil at an all time high which was raising prices on every items b/c shipping takes oil to get these item out so people will start tightening up their wallet from spending like they once did.
This sounds more like one of the Dolan's accountants or stock brokers giving him a heads up on the future economy with a losing NBA team?

Any long time NBA & ABA Fan knows that Isiah Thomas would never Hire Larry Brown to shine his shoes. Let alone stab a friend in the back (Dumars) during the time of both the East and Championship Finals. Plus give Larry Brown a salary that was more than coach Phil Jackson.

Do u actually believe that Isiah Thomas would make a trade for Steve Francis to chalenge his pet player Marbury for the PG position, plus trade his 2nd round pride and joy Trevor Ariza with Penny ending contract to Orlando so they can go after FA Lewis?
Do u actually want me to believe that Isiah traded Nazr to the Spurs (so they could win the Championship) when all coach Mark Aquire kept talking about was all the talent Nazr had that was not used in Atlanta?
U actually want me to believe that sucker Colango who was stuck with Marbury, Penny, and Chambers huge long contracts pulling the Phoenix Suns down the drain with thier cancer attitude in the roster forced Isiah into taking injury-prone Penny Hardaway huge long contract that no one on this earth would take under any circumstance....just to get Marbury?
Isiah would steal candy from a baby and sell it back to the parents....I dont buy any of those decision making moves comming from Isiah.

K-Black....are u serious? u remember how Isiah fired coach Chaney without informing him, plus trading everyone of Layden players every other week.
News Flash....why would Isiah fire Chaney and trade all the players and keep Herb Williams as the assistant coach when Isiah brang Mark Aquire for that position? do u actually think all the Knicks Headcoaches starting with Lenny Wilkins, Larry Brown, Isiah, and Dantoni wanted Herb Williams as their assistant coach???

So, we should absolve Isiah because Dolan is an idiot?

I'm just not sure what your point is.....I'm not even sure your post makes any sense. You say Isiah would steal candy from a baby and sell it back to the parents, and somehow I'm supposed to garner from your post that I WANT Isiah running the team?

Your "News Flash" doesn't make any sense either. A "News Flash" is a piece of information, not a rhetorical question.

What does Isiah firing anybody without telling them have to do with my post? How is it that Isiah being crooked would mean I would want him to run the team over Walsh?

If you are blaming Dolan, that's one thing, but the problem with your thesis is that if you are saying that one man (Dolan) controls the entire basketball operation, then there'd be no point to him hiring a GM in the first place. If he's looking to cut costs he can just hire himself as GM. It also doesn't account for the different styles of GMs that came in:

Layden: Extremely tentative, afraid to trade, horrible drafter (see: Frederic Weis)

Isiah: Caution to the wind, trading anyone and everything for big names and even bigger contracts, pretty decent (or better than Layden) at picking deep in drafts (see: Robinson, Lee, Chandler, Balkman, Ariza)

Walsh: Shrewd trades, mind toward salary dumping over Isiah's style of salary acquistion, appears to want to rebuild via free agency

If you are saying one man was the puppet master on all 3, how can you possibly account for the radically different managing styles? If you don't believe the moves came partially from the mind of Isiah (trading Nazr, trading for Steph, Francis) then how can you possibly account for Layden and Walsh NOT doing that. The ownership has been the same.

All I was saying was that the 2010 plan is extremely overblown. The point is to get under the salary cap, get flexibility so that you aren't perpetually caught in salary cap hell.

Finally, for once, we are rebuilding the right way. Unfortunately because Isiah decided to trade our draft picks like it was going out of style, it may take a bit longer than it normally would. But the fact is this regime is trying something different. They aren't taking on big time salaries, they aren't trading draft picks for washed up stars.

Isiah isn't slimy? He was involved in a ****ing SEXUAL HARASSMENT CASE! Of course he's slimy!

Kiya, you seem like a reasonably intelligent dude, and unlike some people on this board you are all about the Knicks winning. But honestly, what is your suggestion? Look at the roster and contracts Walsh inherited. How would YOU have turned THAT mess around? Sat on the contracts?

It just doesn't work, Walsh managed to trade guys we all thought were impossible to trade due to their contracts. Maybe he didn't get a ton of talent back, I'll acknowledge that, but what he did get back was flexibility. He blew up the team and is choosing to build it from the ground up again. I think that's EXACTLY what this team needed. Isiah's team had no direction, no purpose, no point...they were just a bunch of guys wearing "New York" jerseys. I really believe Walsh is trying to build a TEAM, and the only way he could do that was essentially by hitting the "Reset" Button. I don't really see any other options.

Kiyaman

Legend
K-Black....dont get me wrong I was with the hiring of Isiah Thomas untill "he" made that first trade Moochie 4 Weatherspoon. After that I bashed him worst than I am Walsh & Dantoni b/c the Knicks upstairs office take over after one mistake and make u the puppet.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Interesting discussion. I don't think Dolan is smart enough to mastermind this whole thing. I think Isiah made some obviously really bad decisions. But I think money obviously didn't matter. Had Thomas kept Lenny Wilkens around for a few more seasons, I honestly believe this would be a totally different team right now. We would have never seen Francis in a Knicks uniform, Curry would have been properly developed and ether succeeded or would have been traded. (I believe Francis trade set Curry back.) We would still have had Trever, and the Marbury/Crawford backcourt would have been broken up. That was issue number one for the Knicks.

You've got to give Larry Brown credit for sticking the nail into the Knicks coffin. That was the ripple affect that made everything fall apart. For this reason the three headed beast had to be destroyed. (Thomas, Brown, Marbury) But this new regime, I really don't have much confidence in. The Knicks are the 90's version of the L.A. Clippers. Maybe these guys will luck out and get Chris Bosh, but honestly, The Raptors have more potential then the Knicks do right now. There are lots of players that have something to offer the Knicks, but what do the Knicks have to offer these players? Certainly not a championship. Hell, maybe not even a playoff spot. Maybe the Knicks can get Bosh and Redd. But if DanO can't make that work wave bye and start all over again in 2011.

Kiyaman

Legend
How does this low economy effect the Star FA in 2010?

It makes them stay put, especially the ones that have strong leadership over their team, and some say-so in the front office dealings.
Lebron, Wade, Bosh, Dirk, and Joe Johnson are all staying put.
And I dont want Amare on the Knicks.

The New York Knicks has never gave any of their star players juice like that.....u can ask Reed, Frazier, King, and Ewing.

I recall when Phil Jackson and Jordan put out the news about the Chicago Bulls Head Organization.....after that no big NBA player wanted to be apart of the Bulls organization.
It almost took 2 decades of the Bulls draft choices (players) to get the Bulls back to the playoffs after Jax & Jordan left.

The Knicks should have worked out a deal with Lee, Wilcox, and another FA bigman for this up coming season. WHY? b/c I see every Knick oposition team making Curry, Darko, and Sene our weakness next season.

Kiyaman

Legend
Donchris.....I have to agree wid u on alot of things.....but I dont see Bosh leaving the Raptors.

Bosh is making American & Canadian paper$.
The Raptors went all-out already to get Bosh some help in the Paint by going after J.O'Neal max contract. When Bosh found out J.O'Neal injury was not worth resigning yes, he did make a little noise. But the Raptor organization did not waste any time on a fix-it solution for Bosh.

The offseason moves the Raptors made....has me putting the Raptors in the same position I put the Magic in last year.

Boston
Cavs
Raptors
Philly
then Magic (I have low confidence in a Carter/Nelson tandem)

I'm luvin and luvin this guy Jordan Hill game after game.
It would've been great for him to work out and watch "Lee & Wilcox" play the PF during his rookie season.
I have no LUV for this 2010 Plan...

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee

So what are you actually saying?

That it's Jim Dolan's fault?

But you still hate on Walsh & D'Antoni?

I don't really understand what you're on about here? Isn't the 2010 plan an attempted re-patch of former failures? Any team that was as poorly handled as ours would have to have a goal to re-build as quickly as possible wouldn't they?

Or, what do you think you would have done alternately? If the plan is an assured failure as you keep saying, then what is a superior plan?

What would you do?

I'm in no way blindly protecting the 2010 embargo. That'd be ridiculous. It all hangs on a thread that's true. But if it works out well, it's the most brilliant thing that's happened here since Van Gundy left.

On the other hand, if it doesn't it's a monolithic **** up.

Still, I can't see why anyone would pick a side (for or against) and defend it so strongly. What's the point in hating on something when you're basing it's failure on assumptions?

Wait & see.

JayJ44

Starter
People also need to realize that it's not just 2010 or bust. Say Lebron, Wade, Bosh, Amare, etc all stay with their teams. There are trade possibilities because of the cap space. Besides the fact that there are some great free agents in 2011 and 2012. The point is that any team that sucks, have to rebuild. You rebuild by clearing cap space. There was really no choice but to clear cap space, if you want the Knicks to be successful any time soon. You think we would ohave gotten anywhere with Crawful and Z-Bo? :lol::lol::lol:

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
Walsh is doing it the right way by clearing cap and he is obvious that winning 41 games a season and make the playoffs is far away from his mind. He is going after a championship, the guy is 70 years old, lol. Walsh is a brilliant mind and he is doing it the same in Indiana. With patience and getting his shooter in Gallo who plays very similar to Reggie Miller. He got his big in Hill similar to Dale Davis. Got Darko to turn him to Rik Smits. When he gets his players in 2010 we will be a powerhouse in Mike's system in 2010...One can only dream, but I have faith.

Kiyaman

Legend
Crazy-8....JayJ....Arod....when JVG quit coaching the Knicks, before that season came to an end over half of the Knicks coaching-staff quit (our defensive coaches) along with coach JVG.
That is how player Herb Williams turned into an assistant coach the next season.
The Knicks front-office has yet to replace all of the coaching-staff that quit that season.
If they did we would've seen more wins in the last decade than what we been getting.
The Knick Players were always there to put up a 41 win season....but the coaching staff was never there.

With the Knicks bringing in 3 to 6 new players each season through offseason & regular season trades, plus adding draft picks.
When u do things like this each season with a small coaching staff that is not able to introduce "each" new players to what is expected from them....

u cant get upset with Mcdyess for playing the injury list for years, or Weatherspoon and Harrington talking back to coach Chaney everytime he took them out of the game, or Tim Thomas, Malik, Taylor, Curry, for looking lost in every game, or Jerome James not wanting to participate at all, or Dale Davis wanting out after his first 10 days with the Knick organization, or Jelan Rose & Taylor not reporting to training camp, or Q.Rich & Zach screaming and yelling at the President of the Knicks for taking them out of the game.
Changing players each season with a small coaching-staff that is never given the chance to have a group of players stay long enough to jell or create a team chemistry.

All of the above could've been avoided if the Knicks had increased their coaching staff where certain players are assigned to this division of coaches and other players are assigned to other division of coaches.
This way coach Chaney, Wilkins, and Brown would've never had so much problems having to play only the huge money contract players in their rotation. When the coaching-staff would've decided the best starter and backup for every position, rather than the headcoach, G.M., or President.

The Knicks 2010 Plan is.........

Turning this Knick team into a new franchise team just entering the league in 2010, receiving the first two draft picks (Chandler & Gallo) to add to the roster, and being able to grab two players with one year experience (Jordan & Douglas) from the next team along with two expiring contracts (Curry & Jefferies) is the position the Knicks new regime has put this organization in.
Hiring a no-defense celebrity head-coach Dantoni to run the show,
with a small ineficient coaching-staff that is known all around the league to have no defensive system.

What bright FA will be wanting to sign-up with this new Franchise Team (Knicks) ????
please name the FA?

LJ4ptplay

Starter
The 2010 plan's success hinges on getting rid of Curry. If Curry is gone before the trade deadline, we can sign two max free agents. One will come to the Knicks if another is on board.

If Curry is still here, then we will only be able to sign 1 max FA, or most likely 2 really good players. One max FA will probably not come alone.

Either way you look at it, the team will be better with the 2010 FA signings compared to a roster with Crawford and Z-Bo on it.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Well, that exact same coaching staff contended for a title in the horrific west enough times. If you don't think that's good enough, then you couldn't rightly think that the Knicks consistent playoff losses in the 90s behind Ewing, Starks & Oakley were sufficient enough either.

And, I've no doubt that the head coach would have plenty of influence upon deciding who'll be taking the vast majority of the PT.

Also, if you're insisting that coaching staff and an ever changing line-up have been and will be the burden that breaks the Knicks back, then I think that's all too brief and concentrated upon just 1 of numerous issues.

Charles Oakley (a hugely influential mentor) has been added to the staff as well. Would you rebound harder if Oak told you to? You wouldn't be given an alternate option.

But in comparison to your 2 "plague proportion" issues, there are plenty of reasons that either Wade or Lebron (cos that's who I think we're all talking about in particular) would sign on. Aren't there?

Here's a couple I can think of:

It's NY! Your fan base will multiply like hamsters. Even if you are already a household name.

The trade itself. So much noise! So many eyes and ears! So much focus from members of the most powerful, most resourceful, and most influential news media market in the world.

Game time. If Mike D really is such a wet sock, then why is he so hugely popular with all his past players? I recall Amare saying he'd love to play in NY. And it's widely stated that playing for Mike in his frenetic style, is meant to be as good as it gets for those who like to....Run, Dunk, Shoot, Score, Pass etc. (See the entire NBA).
And before you think it, superstars don't request defense, they create it. They will the desire onto others to follow suit as well. Name one real superstar that hasn't!

NY. After years of failure throughout the entirety of the organization prior to now, how easy will NY be to please? Our team won 32 games this year. I believe we'll win more next year as well. If Dwade or LBJ did climb aboard, would that be lessened? No!!! It'd be an instant 10-15 game increase I've no doubt.... Which would mean playoffs in the East. Tell me they wouldn't relish the opportunity to turn millions of frowns upside down.

#I am fully aware that a playoff run THIS Year would make everything a lot more certain. I honestly think we have a better chance this year than last if N8 & Lee stay which seems likely. Along with Sessions and Hill and Douglas on board, that leaves a lot of room for optimism.#

Lastly.

Making History.

You garner a title in Cleveland, whoopdee friggin' doo....

You do so in NY, you're borderline immortal. The streets will go ballistic, you'll be a demi God, the cash'll be falling from the sky and you (LBJ or Wade) have a shot at being the richest athlete that ever lived because this is New York. Not Cleveland. Money, fame, money, fame, money, fame. It's bigger and better in the Big Apple.

All positives I know. I don't think what I'm saying is gospel at all btw. I hear negatives and don't ignore them. Still, I think you'll have to do better than blaming the coaching staff for something we can't say won't happen.