Idiot Celtic Fan (B-Simmons) Rags on Ewing's Legacy

Status
Not open for further replies.

mafra

Legend
Avowed BOSTON enthusiast has this to say about our beloved Patrick Ewing in his new book (The Book of Basketball):

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/book/091027

"Why Patrick Ewing Was the 39th Best Player Ever"

Knicks fans did their damnedest to talk themselves into the Patrick Ewing era. Everyone believed Ewing was the Evolutionary Russell, a destructive defensive force who would own the league someday. Only it didn't happen ? and it didn't happen ? and then it seemed like it was happening, only it turned out to be a tease ? and it didn't happen ? and at some point everyone except for the delusional Knicks fans realized that it was never going to happen.

===================

Give me a break! He scuffs at the notion that Ewing could ever be in the same universe as a Bill Russell. By his own philosophy..... I guess Bernie Williams is twice the player Ted Williams was.

The only difference between Russell and Ewing: talent and eras.

Put the TALLER Ewing on those Celtic teams, and place Bill on the Knicks in the 90s.... WHAT? You think Bill leads NY to a title, or that Ewing doesn't wina few championships himself? Please....

Ewing never had a HOF guard to compliment him (Bill had Bob Cousy). Russell had Sam Jones, John Havlicek, Tom Heinsohn. How many HOF players did Ewing play with?

Let's not forget that there weren;t really any other big men in Bill's day (othe than Wilt the stilt). Ewing played in an era where every team had a few big men. Heck, how many Afro-Americans even played in Bill's day?

I think Simmons is comparing apples to donuts. Ewing was every bit as good and dominating as Bill Russell.... Rings are meaningless.

Hey, by his own estimation... Bernie Williams is twice the player Ted Williams was!

Status
Not open for further replies.