Possible Trade Partners for NY this season:

mafra

Legend
OK. We aint making the playoffs (and we can't root for a lottery selection b/c that belongs to utah). We're not going to be competitve (although we can cheer for the development of the kids). Sure, we need to dump Eddie Curry and Jared Jeffries- and free ourselves of their 2010 salaries. SO, what does that leave us with as we face another 72 games of this disaster?

TRADES!

So.... let's take a look at possible trade partners. What teams will deal to get better and make a run this year, and what teams will deal to shed themselves of something?

Well, let's first look at teams who might need a jolt this season (as they prepare for a playoff run). Of course, the unforseen (injuries) will always arise...

BUT, would a team take an Al Harrington? Hughes? N8? Duhon? Would we deal a Wilson Chandler?

Aside from salary cap relief, would we look to make a deal for something other than an expiring contract.... maybe a young player? A draft pick?

FORGET ABOUT THE CAVS. Sure, Al might be a good fit for them... we aint helping them win. So, I'll cross them off my list.

Any ideas?

Looking at both Conferences...

Would CHI trade us Tyrus and Kirk for Jeffries & Lee?

Would DAL be desperate enough for interior offense they would gobble up Curry's contract IF Eddie returned and scored points in the paint?

Would ORL make a run at Duhon again?

Robinso to LAL for Josh Powell?

Maybe Lee to POR for Bayless & Outlaw?

Is there a particular young player we should/could target? I think we HAVE to make a smart move here folks. I think the opporunity will present itself for us to make a nice move IF WE PLAY OUR CARDS CORRECTLY.

BOS & LAL are the cream of the crop. Teams are going to need ammunition to make a run at them. Even LAL may feel it needs a PG (and they liked N8 in the past, and he could give them offense off the bench).

SO.... do we think Walsh can make some moves?

I would like a young PG; and I like Josh Powell & Travis Outlaw (both have 1 year deals and would help us moving forward). I would also like JJ Redick (some have blasted me in the oast for mentioning this).

I think Powell would be a nice CENTER in D'ant's offense. I think Outlaw would bring defense. I think Redick would be a smarter version of N8, who would bring a little Steve Kerr with him. He's 6"4' and is growing into his game. He would be a rotation player, so we could live with his defense b/c he can create, pass the ball and drill 3-pointers. With JJ & Danillo, that would extend the defense.

SO.... I would deal N8 for Powell; Lee for Outlaw and Bayless; and then send Jeffries for Redick. Not sure any of these deals would work.... But at least we're trying, right?

Bayless
Chandler
Outlaw
Galinari
Curry

I would let this group be my starting 5 this year. Redick would be my 6th man; Douglas 1st guard in off the bench. Hill the first big. Landry would fill out my 9-man rotation.

I would cut Hughes. AND, this plan is assuming I sent Al Harrington somewhere (for a 1st round pick next year).

Showcase Curry. FEED HIM THE BALL. Pray we find a buyer by the deadline (then start Darko).

Last edited:

Scribbles

Rotation player
Well you can't move David Lee nor Nate Robinson. So that right there, you can shoot down.

And I mean that literally, written on their contracts. They can't be traded...

mafra

Legend
Well you can't move David Lee nor Nate Robinson. So that right there, you can shoot down.

Well, I don't think that's true. I mean, not impossible. OF COURSE, they have veto power..... sure..... but (again) not impossible:

A team must receive permission to trade a player on a one-year contract in three instances. They are: (1) when the player can become an Early Bird free agent at season’s end, which occurs when the player finishes two consecutive years with the same team; (2) when the player, like the current Knicks duo of David Lee and Nate Robinson, can become a Full Bird free agent at season’s end, which occurs when the player finishes three consecutive seasons with the same team; or (3) when the player, like Charlotte’s Raymond Felton, has accepted a qualifying offer for the fifth season of a rookie-scale contract.

Phoenix’s Grant Hill, Miami’s Joel Anthony and the Los Angeles Lakers’ Shannon Brown are included here as well even though they all signed two-year deals with a player option for Year 2, because each would still be eligible for Early Bird or Full Bird rights at season’s end even if they decline the option.

Players who qualify for this season’s no-trade list must forfeit their Bird rights if they give consent to be traded in these circumstances, which limits their earning power further next summer when they return to the open market.

The list:

• Othello Hunter (Atlanta)
• Raymond Felton (Charlotte)
• Aaron Gray (Chicago)
• Lindsey Hunter (Chicago)
• James Singleton (Dallas)
• Anthony Carter (Denver)
• Johan Petro (Denver)
• C.J. Watson (Golden State)
• Steve Novak (Los Angeles Clippers)
• Brian Skinner (Los Angeles Clippers)
• Shannon Brown (Los Angeles Lakers)
• Joel Anthony (Miami)
• Jamaal Magloire (Miami)
• Sean Marks (New Orleans)
• David Lee (New York)
• Nate Robinson (New York)
• Adonal Foyle (Orlando)
• Royal Ivey (Philadelphia)
• Grant Hill (Phoenix)

http://nbaroundtable.wordpress.com/2009/11/01/no-trade-clauses/

AND

"Lee’s agent, Mark Bartelstein, confirmed Thursday that last season’s NBA double-double leader has agreed to a one-year deal worth $8 million that also includes incentives. The deal also means Lee cannot be traded this season, unless he consents and waives significant rights when he becomes an unrestricted free agent next off-season.

The same is true for Robinson, who will sign for one year in the $4 million to $5 million range, with incentives, according to a source familiar with the negotiations."

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/Knicks_bring_back_Lee_Robinson.html

----------------------

So, again.... Not highly likely.... BUT, if given the chance to play a role on a possible championship team.... Lee or N8 (as advises through their agents) that forfeiting their bird rights make be a good idea to increase their worth.

1- NOBODY wanted either players as RFA
2- Their value sinks further with every loss
3- Losing is getting tiresome.

NOW, Lee wont go to SAC.... BUT, would N8 really veto a trade to the LAL? Would LEE say no to going to DEN or POR? Not sure, but both wont be getting max deals anyway.

Last edited:

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
Duhon is not worth a penny at this moment. Why bring up a trade possibility with him is ridiculous. The guy is 18-79 on the season from the field, who in their right mind give up anything for him. Toney Douglas is by far a better point guard than Duhon already and that is an understatement. The kid can play and has great feel for the game. I much better bench Duhon, Jeffries, Hughes and see what Douglas, Hill, Gallinari can do with major minutes. We aren't winning so the only gain to this season is to built the confidence of our rookies. Nobody is trading for Jeffries, Curry, Harrington. Give up on that dream my fellow Knicks fan.

metrocard

Legend
I like what the Nets got...

Unrealstic but

Congratulations on a successful trade.

Due to New Jersey and New York being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. New Jersey and New York had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Knicks trade
Toney Douglas
Wilson Chandler
David Leee
Chris Duhon
Al Harrington
Jordan Hill
Eddy Curry

Nets trade
Trenton Hassel
Brook Lopez
Jarvis Hayes
Rafer Alston
Bobby Simmons
Tony Battie
Sean Williams

Knicks
Alston/Robinson
Hughes/Hassel
Gallinari/Hayes/Simmons
Williams/Jefferies
Lopez/Battie

Nets
Harris/Duhon/Douglas
Williams/Lee/CDR
Harrington/Chandler
Lee/Hill/Najera
Yi/Curry

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I have been a supporter of the 2010 plan but at this point I'm not so sure. So much of it depended on us drafting well, getting rid of Curry and Jeffries and playing well this season. So much for that. Time to change the strategy a little.

One thing we do have is a lot of expiring contracts that are very valuable. We need to focus on teams that are not playing well now and have stars with large/long-term contracts. These teams may want to dump salary and rebuild. Golden State, the Hornets etc. Washington should be a team we should be watching closely too.

The only good thing about losing right now is that maybe Lee and Nate would take a trade to a winning team to get the hell out of NY. Maybe we could trade those players for young talent or draft picks. Chicago and Portland are teams that come to mind.

What bothers me is that I get the feeling Donnie is determined to follow through with his 2010 plan and is unwilling to change. He's only looking for contracts that end this year, that's it. Unfortunately, I don't see Lebron or any other super-star signing with the Knicks next year. And trading Curry and Jeffries for expiring contracts is next to impossible.

It's time to alter the 2010 plan Donnie!

Paul1355

All Star

What?!?!!? I would love to trade these guys.

I think you should double check that because it would make sense for Walsh to just give a one year deal and be able to trade them in case they did play bad. No one wanted Nate and Lee for the price they asked so I don't see why Walsh would put in a no trade clause.

Paul1355

All Star
Well, I don't think that's true. I mean, not impossible. OF COURSE, they have veto power..... sure..... but (again) not impossible:

A team must receive permission to trade a player on a one-year contract in three instances. They are: (1) when the player can become an Early Bird free agent at season?s end, which occurs when the player finishes two consecutive years with the same team; (2) when the player, like the current Knicks duo of David Lee and Nate Robinson, can become a Full Bird free agent at season?s end, which occurs when the player finishes three consecutive seasons with the same team; or (3) when the player, like Charlotte?s Raymond Felton, has accepted a qualifying offer for the fifth season of a rookie-scale contract.

Phoenix?s Grant Hill, Miami?s Joel Anthony and the Los Angeles Lakers? Shannon Brown are included here as well even though they all signed two-year deals with a player option for Year 2, because each would still be eligible for Early Bird or Full Bird rights at season?s end even if they decline the option.

Players who qualify for this season?s no-trade list must forfeit their Bird rights if they give consent to be traded in these circumstances, which limits their earning power further next summer when they return to the open market.

The list:

? Othello Hunter (Atlanta)
? Raymond Felton (Charlotte)
? Aaron Gray (Chicago)
? Lindsey Hunter (Chicago)
? James Singleton (Dallas)
? Anthony Carter (Denver)
? Johan Petro (Denver)
? C.J. Watson (Golden State)
? Steve Novak (Los Angeles Clippers)
? Brian Skinner (Los Angeles Clippers)
? Shannon Brown (Los Angeles Lakers)
? Joel Anthony (Miami)
? Jamaal Magloire (Miami)
? Sean Marks (New Orleans)
? David Lee (New York)
? Nate Robinson (New York)
? Adonal Foyle (Orlando)
? Royal Ivey (Philadelphia)
? Grant Hill (Phoenix)

http://nbaroundtable.wordpress.com/2009/11/01/no-trade-clauses/

AND

"Lee?s agent, Mark Bartelstein, confirmed Thursday that last season?s NBA double-double leader has agreed to a one-year deal worth $8 million that also includes incentives. The deal also means Lee cannot be traded this season, unless he consents and waives significant rights when he becomes an unrestricted free agent next off-season.

The same is true for Robinson, who will sign for one year in the $4 million to $5 million range, with incentives, according to a source familiar with the negotiations."

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/Knicks_bring_back_Lee_Robinson.html

----------------------

So, again.... Not highly likely.... BUT, if given the chance to play a role on a possible championship team.... Lee or N8 (as advises through their agents) that forfeiting their bird rights make be a good idea to increase their worth.

1- NOBODY wanted either players as RFA
2- Their value sinks further with every loss
3- Losing is getting tiresome.

NOW, Lee wont go to SAC.... BUT, would N8 really veto a trade to the LAL? Would LEE say no to going to DEN or POR? Not sure, but both wont be getting max deals anyway.
we need steve novak...this dude can hit a three pointer with his eyes closed..he would score so many points on this run and chuck team.