So We Can We FINALLY All Agree...

mafra

Legend
That Nate should be the starting point guard?

I would cut N8 before letting him be my point guard. His argument with Herb the last game was an embarrasment.

I guess just start N8, Harrington, Jeffries, Lee & Curry. Play them all until anyone trades for any of these bums.

iSaYughh

Starter
Starting N8 would be good....the losing mentality he'd breed as our starting PG wouldn't be noticeable to our record, so we could prob pawn him and some inflated stats off. :thumbsup:

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I think he should. Only because Duhon is so disgraceful. Nate really isn't much IMO. Just a clown. I'd love for him to prove me wrong but I can't see it happening.

2010 & Toney D are the only things keeping me interested right now. Start whoever.... I can't even feign interest at this stage.

KBlack25

Starter
I think he should. Only because Duhon is so disgraceful. Nate really isn't much IMO. Just a clown.

100% agree. I don't love Nate as a starting PG, but the fact is Duhon hasn't earned his starting job this year, and this is coming from someone that defended his acceptable play last year. Sit him on the bench a few games, maybe Duhon gets his head in the game and starts playing at least average.

Sometimes taking away minutes (and thus, taking away money they can get later) is the only thing these guys can understand.

TheChosen1

Benchwarmer
I agree with KBlack25, Duhon should be benched until he gets his mind right. Look what not playing did for Hughes. He came back with a vengence. I really think Douglas should start at PG instead of SG. Shouldn't we get Douglas into passing the ball more, instead of creating another Nate. I mean who the hell is going to be our PG of the future ???
All we're doing with Douglas is giving him the ball to shoot and nothing more. Why not get him in the habit of running this team and understanding the system so he can become the PG we need. If we can't do that, then it's a waste. Because we basically just drafted another Nate than molding this kid into a traditional PG. He already plays his heart out on defense, why not get him into the habit of looking to pass than shoot. Don't get me wrong, I know he's a scorer, but every time he gets the ball he looks to shoot. Why not find a balance where he scores but looks to pass first and shoot second.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
I agree with KBlack25, Duhon should be benched until he gets his mind right. Look what not playing did for Hughes. He came back with a vengence. I really think Douglas should start at PG instead of SG. Shouldn't we get Douglas into passing the ball more, instead of creating another Nate. I mean who the hell is going to be our PG of the future ???
All we're doing with Douglas is giving him the ball to shoot and nothing more. Why not get him in the habit of running this team and understanding the system so he can become the PG we need. If we can't do that, then it's a waste. Because we basically just drafted another Nate than molding this kid into a traditional PG. He already plays his heart out on defense, why not get him into the habit of looking to pass than shoot. Don't get me wrong, I know he's a scorer, but every time he gets the ball he looks to shoot. Why not find a balance where he scores but looks to pass first and shoot second.

i agree we need to get Douglas to run the point more, we lack a point guard and Duhon wont cut it neither will Nate so mold him into a PG dudes got potential and as you said we dont need to mold another Nate

tiger0330

Legend
The media is in an uproar, every writer in NY is saying the Knicks are a disgrace. Walsh will be forced to get someone like Iverson or make some kind of trade for Lee or N8 to turn around this season.

mafra

Legend
The media is in an uproar, every writer in NY is saying the Knicks are a disgrace. Walsh will be forced to get someone like Iverson or make some kind of trade for Lee or N8 to turn around this season.

I feel like Mcgrady will be coming to town. He'll play the Point. No joke.

Might take Lee (not sure if he'll agree to a trade- unless HOU "promises" big bucks for a future contract; Ming & Lee would work, no). Would Chandler do it instead?

Kiyaman

Legend
Six game winning streak.....Nate

The last longest winning streak the Knicks had (6 games) Nate STARTED all of them...

richtree

Rotation player
Nate is one of the few guys that can make shots when we hit that lull where the other team has been taking over our games.

I don't like Nate as a player because he is one of those guys that is very limited. He can't defend a good 2 guard and he cannot play the point guard role. He is fine as a bench guard but going forward it will be hard to carry Nate and Douglas on the same team unless Douglas is our starting point guard. Simply 2 undersized players cannot be on the court at the same time.

Hughes can defend alittle big but his best days are in the past.

We really have only 3 players to definitely build around.

Gallo - SF

Hill - PF (probably a backup next year)

Douglas - (probably a backup next year)

All the other players can stay or go based on their contracts, who we bring in next season, and what positions our needs are at. Curry could be a wild card, but if he is gone Darko will probably stay for cheap as a backup center.

thats it!

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
People talk about about letting Douglas develop as PG, but why not have him develop as a back-up for now?Nate has proven it's possible he can do well.He's not a ballhog, he doesn't always make the right decisions, but who does on this team?Larry Hughes is the only one that has shown that has consistant basketball IQ.I honestly think Nate can be a guy that can be right in front of our noses as a good PG, but he's a back-up shooting guard and that's what makes him seem a little bit wild or too ineffecient at times.I remember one of the commentators saying Nate was yelling for someone to get the ball to Gallo.He's smart enough to know when somebody should have the ball.

Edit: Even though Hughes has been good at creating his own shot and for others, as I said, Nate should be developed with a PG state of mind.Have Hughes at the 2.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
Confused!!!

People talk about about letting Douglas develop as PG, but why not have him develop as a back-up for now?Nate has proven it's possible he can do well.He's not a ballhog, he doesn't always make the right decisions, but who does on this team?Larry Hughes is the only one that has shown that has consistant basketball IQ.I honestly think Nate can be a guy that can be right in front of our noses as a good PG, but he's a back-up shooting guard and that's what makes him seem a little bit wild or too ineffecient at times.I remember one of the commentators saying Nate was yelling for someone to get the ball to Gallo.He's smart enough to know when somebody should have the ball.

Edit: Even though Hughes has been good at creating his own shot and for others, as I said, Nate should be developed with a PG state of mind.Have Hughes at the 2.

Nate has been our backup SG for the past 3 seasons that I almost forgot that we drafted him as our backup PG.
I kept wondering why PG-Jennings is having so many high scoring games as a rookie, untill I watch the entire Mavs vs Bucks game.....PG-Ridnour recieved 35 minutes in that game and not as Jennings backup. The two tandem up with Jennings as the SG, and they played tougher than the Bulls tandem of Hindrich & Rose.....and that's tough.

The last 3 Knick coaches (Larry, Isiah, and Dantoni) have been playing our guards single and individually, never matching them up as tandems so the two could form a chemistry that would spread to their teammates.
Last season only having two guards in the rotation, one starting and the other coming off the bench, the two formed a decent looking chemistry to win 32 games.

Not having a pair (or tandem) of guards start the first ten game of a 82 game season with four guards in the rotation say alot of things.....tanking, no confidence in coach to players, 1-9 start, PG-Duhon playing like shuuuut without a steady backcourt partner to depend on, SF-Wilson Chandler playing like shuuut b/c he is starting at SG or PF, and the coach changing the starting line-up each game for personal reasons rather than strategy for a Knick oponent.

nyk_nyk

All Star
and the coach changing the starting line-up each game for personal reasons rather than strategy for a Knick oponent.

This is one of the biggest reasons why I believe Dantoni is an overrated coach and is slowly being exposed in NY. He was safe in PHX with Nash running the show and Amare finishing but now that he has to actually use coaching ability we're seeing the flaws.

There doesn't seem to be any strategy involved from game to game. Its the same exact thing over and over. Its like he's saying, we're gonna play this way and hope we win instead of 'hey, we can exploit this team by doing this so lets focus on these things tonight'

The players are bad, but the coach is worse.