Can someone ellaborate on who our f-ing PG will be after this season?

dre48ny

Rotation player
It's obvious that D'Antoni's system relies heavily on a skilled PG (sorry Duhon). We passed on a PG during the draft because..... I'm still wondering why. N8 is a 2 and my not be resigned after the recent fiasco. That leaves Tony Douglas, is he the answer. who knows? We seem to focus on the big free agents in 2010, but we don't even have a PG. Oh yeah, we don't have a 2010 pick. WTF are the NYK gonna do????

LJ4ptplay

Starter
There aren't many decent PGs available in free agency. I think the only one to consider is Steve Blake.

We have to trade for one.

A few options I would hope Donnie looks into:

1.) Trade for Kirk Hinrich. (Hinrich has a large/long-term contract. 2010 draft day trading Jeffries expiring + fillers could probably get it done. Bulls want to shed salary and Hinrich is better than a bench player)

2.) Trade for rights to Ricky Rubio (Minny will do this eventually. But not sure if Rubio could play for us next year due to his contract with Barcelona)

3.) Trade for Monta Ellis (GS wants to shed his salary and go with Steph Curry. One of our expiring contracts + fillers could probably get it done.)

That's my list. Can't think of any other players that we could realistically trade for.

dre48ny

Rotation player
Ellis would be cool but I guess we would have to trade for him after signing the free agents in 2010, correct? If we traded for him now, it would mess up the 2010 plan. Unless they take back Curry now and we want to pair Ellis with a big free agent as our backbone.

Interesting, thanks.

mafra

Legend
There aren't many decent PGs available in free agency. I think the only one to consider is Steve Blake.

We have to trade for one.

A few options I would hope Donnie looks into:

1.) Trade for Kirk Hinrich. (Hinrich has a large/long-term contract. 2010 draft day trading Jeffries expiring + fillers could probably get it done. Bulls want to shed salary and Hinrich is better than a bench player)

2.) Trade for rights to Ricky Rubio (Minny will do this eventually. But not sure if Rubio could play for us next year due to his contract with Barcelona)

3.) Trade for Monta Ellis (GS wants to shed his salary and go with Steph Curry. One of our expiring contracts + fillers could probably get it done.)

That's my list. Can't think of any other players that we could realistically trade for.

Hinrich makes 9 mil in 2010 & another 8 in 2011. It'll only work if they take Curry (which they wont).

WNY_Knickfan

Benchwarmer
This will be very unpopular, and I agree as I am sick of losing too, but this would address both a PG and a star...

Don't blow your load on Bosh or Johnson types if we can't get Wade or Lebron, and just wait til 2011. I know, I know, wait til 2011 lol. Just saying With Jeffries/Curry off the books Carmelo and either Chris Paul or Deron Williams could be had.

Paul
Douglas
Anthony
Gallinari
Hill

A little undersized but maybe we get a decent MLE big or draft a decent big in 2011

Before you all kill me for this, yes I too obviously want to make moves to get good in 2010 as I've wasted so much of my life watching this team lose, but wanted to throw this out here. Would you rather miss Lebron and Wade and make some desperation stab and come up with like Bibby and Amare, or just sit on it another year and wind up better? Personally I'd rather root for CP and Carmelo too, I see Lebron as the evil villain ala MJ

Although Lebron would look fine in orange and blue. Idk, I'm confusing myself and I need a beer, but let's go Knicks, lets get good again baby

ANU

Starter
it all depends on who we acquire.wade and james are primary ball handlers, so a pg is less necessary.i think tony d would be good enough; if we get neither, then yeah, d'antoni resigns.

my crack head pipe dream is wall, but the only way that could happen is if we acquire more talent, like a thomas for chuckington, and rupaul for gallo lee nate hill chandler whatever.if colangelo wants to help d'ant out and in the process screw rupaul over and not send him to miami etc.I'm by know means attached to any of these cats.we need the best assets we can get to totally transform this team.we all want a winning ball club.so whatever makes us that, I'm all for.

i'd be down for hinrich if we sign wade or james.

mafra

Legend
it all depends on who we acquire.wade and james are primary ball handlers, so a pg is less necessary.i think tony d would be good enough; if we get neither, then yeah, d'antoni resigns.

my crack head pipe dream is wall, but the only way that could happen is if we acquire more talent, like a thomas for chuckington, and rupaul for gallo lee nate hill chandler whatever.if colangelo wants to help d'ant out and in the process screw rupaul over and not send him to miami etc.I'm by know means attached to any of these cats.we need the best assets we can get to totally transform this team.we all want a winning ball club.so whatever makes us that, I'm all for.

i'd be down for hinrich if we sign wade or james.

Only way we get WALL is if the Knicks stink again in 2010, and Wall stays in college for his sophmore season.

ANU

Starter
This will be very unpopular, and I agree as I am sick of losing too, but this would address both a PG and a star...

Don't blow your load on Bosh or Johnson types if we can't get Wade or Lebron, and just wait til 2011. I know, I know, wait til 2011 lol. Just saying With Jeffries/Curry off the books Carmelo and either Chris Paul or Deron Williams could be had.

Paul
Douglas
Anthony
Gallinari
Hill

A little undersized but maybe we get a decent MLE big or draft a decent big in 2011

Before you all kill me for this, yes I too obviously want to make moves to get good in 2010 as I've wasted so much of my life watching this team lose, but wanted to throw this out here. Would you rather miss Lebron and Wade and make some desperation stab and come up with like Bibby and Amare, or just sit on it another year and wind up better? Personally I'd rather root for CP and Carmelo too, I see Lebron as the evil villain ala MJ

Although Lebron would look fine in orange and blue. Idk, I'm confusing myself and I need a beer, but let's go Knicks, lets get good again baby
paul and deron are signed through 2013.but i agree with most of what you said.

ANU

Starter
Only way we get WALL is if the Knicks stink again in 2010, and Wall stays in college for his sophmore season.
that's another way, the other way is colangelo gifts wraps us bosh for gallo lee hill, perhaps jeffires etc, who we would then ship off to some other team for wall + etc.i don't think it would be as difficult as some see it.it sounds ridiculous, but what if the hornets get that pick? i think they'd rather have bosh over wall.

lol.

I'm trading players we don't have.

but imagine getting wall, james maybe yao in one off season.:D

ANU

Starter
i don't know.I'm just pulling shit out my ass.probably could use those guys to get him then.

dre48ny

Rotation player
paul and deron are signed through 2013.but i agree with most of what you said.
I guess the only chance @ CP3 would be via a trade. Maybe the Hornets get desperate to reduce payroll and trade CP3 during the offseaon to one of our expiring contracts that offseason (curry or jefferies), we could package that with Chandler and future draft picks. Other than that 0 chance i guess. Even if we get Lebron or Wade, we need a good PG.

ANU

Starter
I guess the only chance @ CP3 would be via a trade. Maybe the Hornets get desperate to reduce payroll and trade CP3 during the offseaon to one of our expiring contracts that offseason (curry or jefferies), we could package that with Chandler and future draft picks. Other than that 0 chance i guess. Even if we get Lebron or Wade, we need a good PG.
yep.
actually could be possible if they draft wall.they really are some cheap bastards.it'll definitly take all our chips though.but if we can get paul, awesome.I'm down.

WNY_Knickfan

Benchwarmer
Well crap, guess I fail contracts 101! Did they sign extensions? I woulda sworn they were same free agency "class" so to speak as Carmelo

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
It's obvious that D'Antoni's system relies heavily on a skilled PG (sorry Duhon). We passed on a PG during the draft because..... I'm still wondering why. N8 is a 2 and my not be resigned after the recent fiasco. That leaves Tony Douglas, is he the answer. who knows? We seem to focus on the big free agents in 2010, but we don't even have a PG. Oh yeah, we don't have a 2010 pick. WTF are the NYK gonna do????

Good question. There are good point guards out there but they don't come cheap. First priority is of course to get that great all-star we've all been hoping for. LeBron is a long shot to say the least. I'm starting to think Joe Johnson is a long shot too. The Hawks are actually a force to be reckoned with.

After and if we acquire that big name scorer I'd look at Barron Davis. His contract is atrocious but he is still one of the better point guards in the league and may fit well in the speedball system.

Absolute worse case scenario, no marquee player changes teams or comes to NY, here's a list of players the Knicks can easily acquire.

Marcine Gortat
Luke Ridnour
Tracy McGrady
Bruce Bowen
Ron Artest
Michael Redd
Nene
Predrag Stojakovic
Brad Miller (vet exemption)
Kurt Thomas
Marcus Camby

All of these players have strengths and come cheap with the exception of McGrady and Redd. My lists consists of defenders, shot blockers and veteran leadership.

ANU

Starter
only guy i like of that list is gortat.

i too believe lebron wade etc are long shots.which is why i would not be against going all out to get wall.to some gallo hill and chandler would be a steep price, to others that doesn't sound like nearly enough.all i know is, he's a future franchise player, and we might as well try and get him while the possibility is more slim than none.

the likelihood of so and so landing here imo:

lebron:50%(knicks) 50%(cleveland).i think he stays in cleveland.
wade:35%(knicks) 30%(heat) 40%(chicago).i think it'll all come down to who rolls out the red carpet for him.

ANU

Starter
i think deandre jordan can be had.i think the guy can be an anchor.would love to get him.