Christmas question?

Paul1355

All Star
Why do people say Xmas?

I mean if you want to disrespect anyone who believes in Christ, say "have a merry Xmas!"

Since when do people feel it is okay to cross out the person that should be glorified during that specific day?!?! It makes no sense to me and people over look it as if it's not important.

Can someone answer this for me without being a hater?

smokes

Huge Member
I think its just shorthand, I don't know where it originates but as far as I know it's just that.

I've used it a few times and by no means is it intended disrespectfully.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Xmas hasn't been about Jesus for decades. It's a last minute push to sure up sales figures for the year and nothing more...bah humbug! (jking)

CoolClyde

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xmas

Usage of X for Christ in ancient languages <dl><dd>For the article about the "ΧΡ" symbol see Chi Rho.</dd></dl> The word "Christ" and its compounds, including "Christmas", have been abbreviated in English for at least the past 1,000 years, long before the modern "Xmas" was commonly used. "Christ" was often written as "XP" or "Xt"; there are references in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle as far back as AD 1021. This X and P arose as the uppercase forms of the Greek letters χ and ρ used in ancient abbreviations for Χριστος (Greek for "Christ"), and are still widely seen in many Eastern Orthodox icons depicting Jesus Christ. The labarum, an amalgamation of the two Greek letters rendered as , is a symbol often used to represent Christ in Catholic, Protestant, and Orthodox Christian Churches.<sup id="cite_ref-7" class="reference">[8]</sup>

The labarum, often called the Chi-Rho, is a Christian symbol representing Christ.

The occasionally held belief that the "X" represents the cross on which Christ was crucified also has no basis in fact. Saint Andrew's Cross is X-shaped, but Christ's cross was probably shaped like a T or a ?. Indeed, X-as-chi was associated with Christ long before X-as-cross could be, since the cross as a Christian symbol developed later. (The Greek letter Chi Χ stood for "Christ" in the ancient Greek acrostic ΙΧΘΥΣ ichthys.) While some see the spelling of Christmas as Xmas a threat, others see it as a way to honor the martyrs. The use of X as an abbreviation for "cross" in modern abbreviated writing (e.g. "King's X" for "King's Cross") may have reinforced this assumption.
In ancient Christian art, χ and χρ are abbreviations for Christ's name.<sup id="cite_ref-8" class="reference">[9]</sup> In many manuscripts of the New Testament and icons, X is an abbreviation for Christos, as is XC (the first and last letters in Greek, using the lunate sigma); compare IC for Jesus in Greek.
[edit] Usage in English

The Oxford English Dictionary and OED Supplement have cited usages of "X-" or "Xp-" for "Christ-" in 1485 ("Xpian"), 1598 ("Xpian"), and "Xtian" in 1845, 1915 and 1940. It cites "Xtianity" usage in 1634, 1811 and 1966. "Most of the evidence for these words comes from educated Englishmen who knew their Greek," according to Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of English Usage, referring to the OED citations.<sup id="cite_ref-mwdeu_9-0" class="reference">[10]</sup>
In the United Kingdom and among the English, use of "Xmas" is found in a letter from January 13, 1753 (George Woodward to George London: "I find by ye News:papers that several People have shewed a great Aversion to ye Alteration of ye Style; particularly with regard to ye Observation of Xmas Day").<sup id="cite_ref-10" class="reference">[11]</sup> Lord Byron used the term in 1811 ("If you won't come here before Xmas, [...]", letter, September 9, 1811).<sup id="cite_ref-mwdeu_9-1" class="reference">[10]</sup> Samuel Coleridge used it ("On Xmas Day I breakfasted with Davy", 1801)<sup id="cite_ref-bbc04_2-2" class="reference">[3]</sup> as did Lewis Carroll ("[...] which I hope to get published before Xmas", letter, June 10, 1864). In the United States, Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. also wrote it ("I expect about Xmas a visit", October 11, 1923).<sup id="cite_ref-mwdeu_9-2" class="reference">[10]</sup>
Since at least the late 19th century, "Xmas" has been in use in various other English-language nations. Quotations with the word can be found in texts written in Canada,<sup id="cite_ref-11" class="reference">[12]</sup> and the word has been used in Australia,<sup id="cite_ref-ppcgaeu_4-1" class="reference">[5]</sup> and in the Caribbean<sup id="cite_ref-12" class="reference">[13]</sup>
Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of English Usage stated that modern use of the term is largely limited to advertisements, headlines and banners, where its conciseness is valued. The association with commerce "has done nothing for its reputation", according to the dictionary.<sup id="cite_ref-mwdeu_9-3" class="reference">[10]</sup>
[edit] Other uses of "X" for "Chris-"

The proper names containing the name "Christ" other than aforementioned are rarely abbreviated in this way (e.g. Hayden Xensen for the actor name "Hayden Christensen"). This apparent usage of "X" to spell the syllable "kris" (rather than the sounds "ks") has extended to "xtal" for "crystal", "Xtine" for "Christine" and on florists' signs "xant" for "chrysanthemum"<sup id="cite_ref-13" class="reference">[14]</sup> (though these words are not etymologically related to "Christ": "crystal" comes from a Greek word meaning "ice", and "chrysanthemum" comes from Greek words meaning "golden flower", while "Christ" comes from a Greek word meaning "anointed").
In the 17th and 18th Centuries, "Xene" and "Exene" were common spellings of the given name Christene. Christina Aguilera has at times gone by the name Xtina (the "t" should not be considered redundant as, as is noted above, "Christ" was often shortened historically to "Xt" not just X).<sup class="noprint Template-Fact" title="This claim needs references to reliable sources from December 2008" style="white-space: nowrap;"></sup>

TunerAddict

Starter
Come on dude no need to write that, no need to disrespect Jesus like that. If you don't believe in him or religion; respect others as they have strong sentiments about this topic.

Then shouldn't you be respecting my belief in ****ing Jesus?

Paul1355

All Star
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xmas

Usage of X for Christ in ancient languages <dl><dd>For the article about the "ΧΡ" symbol see Chi Rho.</dd></dl> The word "Christ" and its compounds, including "Christmas", have been abbreviated in English for at least the past 1,000 years, long before the modern "Xmas" was commonly used. "Christ" was often written as "XP" or "Xt"; there are references in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle as far back as AD 1021. This X and P arose as the uppercase forms of the Greek letters χ and ρ used in ancient abbreviations for Χριστος (Greek for "Christ"), and are still widely seen in many Eastern Orthodox icons depicting Jesus Christ. The labarum, an amalgamation of the two Greek letters rendered as , is a symbol often used to represent Christ in Catholic, Protestant, and Orthodox Christian Churches.<sup id="cite_ref-7" class="reference">[8]</sup>

The labarum, often called the Chi-Rho, is a Christian symbol representing Christ.

The occasionally held belief that the "X" represents the cross on which Christ was crucified also has no basis in fact. Saint Andrew's Cross is X-shaped, but Christ's cross was probably shaped like a T or a ?. Indeed, X-as-chi was associated with Christ long before X-as-cross could be, since the cross as a Christian symbol developed later. (The Greek letter Chi Χ stood for "Christ" in the ancient Greek acrostic ΙΧΘΥΣ ichthys.) While some see the spelling of Christmas as Xmas a threat, others see it as a way to honor the martyrs. The use of X as an abbreviation for "cross" in modern abbreviated writing (e.g. "King's X" for "King's Cross") may have reinforced this assumption.
In ancient Christian art, χ and χρ are abbreviations for Christ's name.<sup id="cite_ref-8" class="reference">[9]</sup> In many manuscripts of the New Testament and icons, X is an abbreviation for Christos, as is XC (the first and last letters in Greek, using the lunate sigma); compare IC for Jesus in Greek.
[edit] Usage in English

The Oxford English Dictionary and OED Supplement have cited usages of "X-" or "Xp-" for "Christ-" in 1485 ("Xpian"), 1598 ("Xpian"), and "Xtian" in 1845, 1915 and 1940. It cites "Xtianity" usage in 1634, 1811 and 1966. "Most of the evidence for these words comes from educated Englishmen who knew their Greek," according to Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of English Usage, referring to the OED citations.<sup id="cite_ref-mwdeu_9-0" class="reference">[10]</sup>
In the United Kingdom and among the English, use of "Xmas" is found in a letter from January 13, 1753 (George Woodward to George London: "I find by ye News:papers that several People have shewed a great Aversion to ye Alteration of ye Style; particularly with regard to ye Observation of Xmas Day").<sup id="cite_ref-10" class="reference">[11]</sup> Lord Byron used the term in 1811 ("If you won't come here before Xmas, [...]", letter, September 9, 1811).<sup id="cite_ref-mwdeu_9-1" class="reference">[10]</sup> Samuel Coleridge used it ("On Xmas Day I breakfasted with Davy", 1801)<sup id="cite_ref-bbc04_2-2" class="reference">[3]</sup> as did Lewis Carroll ("[...] which I hope to get published before Xmas", letter, June 10, 1864). In the United States, Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. also wrote it ("I expect about Xmas a visit", October 11, 1923).<sup id="cite_ref-mwdeu_9-2" class="reference">[10]</sup>
Since at least the late 19th century, "Xmas" has been in use in various other English-language nations. Quotations with the word can be found in texts written in Canada,<sup id="cite_ref-11" class="reference">[12]</sup> and the word has been used in Australia,<sup id="cite_ref-ppcgaeu_4-1" class="reference">[5]</sup> and in the Caribbean<sup id="cite_ref-12" class="reference">[13]</sup>
Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of English Usage stated that modern use of the term is largely limited to advertisements, headlines and banners, where its conciseness is valued. The association with commerce "has done nothing for its reputation", according to the dictionary.<sup id="cite_ref-mwdeu_9-3" class="reference">[10]</sup>
[edit] Other uses of "X" for "Chris-"

The proper names containing the name "Christ" other than aforementioned are rarely abbreviated in this way (e.g. Hayden Xensen for the actor name "Hayden Christensen"). This apparent usage of "X" to spell the syllable "kris" (rather than the sounds "ks") has extended to "xtal" for "crystal", "Xtine" for "Christine" and on florists' signs "xant" for "chrysanthemum"<sup id="cite_ref-13" class="reference">[14]</sup> (though these words are not etymologically related to "Christ": "crystal" comes from a Greek word meaning "ice", and "chrysanthemum" comes from Greek words meaning "golden flower", while "Christ" comes from a Greek word meaning "anointed").
In the 17th and 18th Centuries, "Xene" and "Exene" were common spellings of the given name Christene. Christina Aguilera has at times gone by the name Xtina (the "t" should not be considered redundant as, as is noted above, "Christ" was often shortened historically to "Xt" not just X).<sup class="noprint Template-Fact" title="This claim needs references to reliable sources from December 2008" style="white-space: nowrap;"></sup>
thanks for the history.

It makes sense now hearing all of that but im sure there might be other reasons.

Christmas sounds better.

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
**** Jesus

I'm probably an agnostic, and I don't like it when Christians, or any other religion's members, try to push their beliefs on me (my main problem with them). But to go out of your way to build your ego, by insulting a figure important to millions, is inexcusable.

What an intelligent person would say is 'f*ck us,' because we're all screwed up, regardless of religious, political or ideological membership (that includes yours). Until we work to feel, for every living thing, we'll continue to be destructive. Believing or not, in this or that, does not mean you're there.

In fact, the conflict you seem to want to create is the sort of negative energy that causes tragedy in the world, because somebody, hopefully, beats the pants off of a jerk like you.

Think on that, while you pat yourself on your self-righteous back. PEACE!

Last edited:

TunerAddict

Starter
I'm probably an agnostic, and I don't like it when Christians, or any other religion's members, try to push their beliefs on me (my main problem with them). But to go out of your way to build your ego, by insulting a figure important to millions, is inexcusable.

What an intelligent person would say is 'f*ck us,' because we're all screwed up, regardless of religious, political or ideological membership (that includes yours). Until we work to feel, for every living thing, we'll continue to be destructive. Believing or not, in this or that, does not mean you're there.

In fact, the conflict you seem to want to create is the sort of negative energy that causes tragedy in the world, because somebody, hopefully, beats the pants off of a jerk like you.

Think on that, while you pat yourself on your self-righteous back. PEACE!

Mate, you are wayyyyyyyyy out there.

Self righteous? None of you know my motives. Who the **** is to say that I said that for any particular reason? No one.

Gotta get over yourself.

dre48ny

Rotation player
Then shouldn't you be respecting my belief in ****ing Jesus?
I do respect your belief thats why i didn't curse at you. You are free to voice your opinion, but there are better ways to do it specially on a topic like this one. This is not the Knicks we are referring to on this thread, come on bro.

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
Mate, you are wayyyyyyyyy out there.

Self righteous? None of you know my motives. Who the **** is to say that I said that for any particular reason? No one.

Gotta get over yourself.

I know your motive, mate: you're a fat loser who wants to feel good about yourself, by putting down an entire religion. And based on what? A widely misinterpreted and misused (by the various churches) character: Jesus.

I don't believe Jesus, or any other spirit or person, is my savior, but I do appreciate the worthwhile points made by different spiritual figures or the millions who have been moved by them.

You, on the other hand, are too full of yourself and the things you've brainwashed yourself with, to value someone like Jesus and his teachings. Afterall, if you did, what would you have to bitch and moan about?

And what is it with the word "mate?" Sigh... SMH@these posers.

johnstarky

Rotation player
I use to emotionally react towards imbecilic remarks such as the one that was written earlier in this thread but I asked myself this question ---Why give a fool the power to get under your skin?

It is normal for a religious person to feel offended after a person that is halfhearted about their religious beliefs disrespects them for their beliefs.But even though the halfhearted person thinks that he is accomplishing something with his inexplicable actions he really cannot cause emotional distress on anyone as long as people do not give him the permission to.

Getting angry at the person isn't going to really change that person's way of thinking or make them feel guilty and responsible for their actions.It may either cause an unnecessary conflict between you and him or propel him to commit more of the same acts.

Rather than try and enforce rationality into him the best way to deal with such a person is to allow that person to find things out the hard way.

Last edited:

dre48ny

Rotation player
I use to emotionally react towards imbecilic remarks such as the one that was written earlier in this thread but I asked myself this question ---Why give a fool the power to get under your skin?

It is normal for a religious person to feel offended after a person that is halfhearted about their religious beliefs disrespects them for their beliefs.But even though the halfhearted person thinks that he is accomplishing something with his inexplicable actions he really cannot cause emotional distress on anyone as long as people do not give him the permission to.

Getting angry at the person isn't going to really change that person's way of thinking or make them feel guilty and responsible for their actions.It may either cause an unnecessary conflict between you and him or propel him to commit more of the same acts.

Rather than try and enforce rationality into him the best way to deal with such a person is to allow that person to find things out the hard way.

Very nicely put, love your perspective on it !

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I like to picture Jesus in a tuxedo T-shirt cos it says like, I wanna be formal but I’m here to party too, cos I like to party, so I like my Jesus to party.