chad fraud's chat today.

ANU

Starter
Chad!! Please throw a loyal Nets fan a bone in this season of our discontent. You seem to have a good handle on what the front office's mindset is. Can you elaborate on your comments yesterday that the Nets would move Harris in the right deal? What type of return would we be looking at? Thanks!
Chad Ford (1:17 PM)

The gist of what I wrote about yesterday in True Hoop is that the Nets are seriously rethinking their 2010 summer free agent rebuilding strategy. If they can't land LeBron, Wade or Bosh (and I think the odds are pretty long) they could end up in a bad place having to overpay for a player or two who won't put them over the top. So, they're looking at all of their expiring contracts and beginning to explore whether they could get good players or prospects now for them. In addition, I think they'll move Harris if the right deal comes along. Brook Lopez is the only untouchable right now. I wouldn't be surprised if the Nets and Knicks end up reversing course and using their expiring contracts now instead of this summer.
i like the sound of that, but as long as its for good players, and prospect.

Mitch (LA)

Chad what are you hearing about the Knicks? any moves coming up or do they wait for the summer?
Chad Ford (1:19 PM)

They've been trying to find a home for Eddy Curry and Jared Jeffries, but so far, no luck. I think the plan is still to go into the summer of 2010 with lots of $$. But it could change. Knicks are in the same boat as the Nets. No LeBron, no Wade and no Bosh = no savior. Yes, players like Joe Johnson or Amare Stoudemire would be nice additions. But they wouldn't put the Knicks over the top in the East.
lol.bosh,wade? gtfo.he's right about the others though.

Neil (Agoura Hills)

Please answer this question @chadfordinsider. Why wouldn't a team like the Wizards or T-Wolves, that is rebuilding and isn't landing a top FA this summer, rent out its cap space for next year and steal prospects? The Knicks would give Jordan Hill, Tony Douglas, AND Danilo Gallonari if someone took Jeffries AND Curry in a heartbeat. Sounds like a steal for one extra year of salary.
Chad Ford (1:22 PM)

I'm not sure the Knicks will go that far. Yes, it would put them WAY under the cap. But cap space isn't a guarantee that they'd land good players. In fact, if you were LeBron, would you really come to a team that has NO talent. The cap adds up pretty quickly if you start signing max players. But the strategy for the Wolves and Wizards is sound. It's a way to level the playing field a bit with teams like the Bulls and Heat which are huge free agent draws.
lol at that minny fan.drinking that kahndom juice.

Osiris80

Benchwarmer
They've been trying to find a home for Eddy Curry and Jared Jeffries, but so far, no luck. I think the plan is still to go into the summer of 2010 with lots of $$. But it could change. Knicks are in the same boat as the Nets. No LeBron, no Wade and no Bosh = no savior. Yes, players like Joe Johnson or Amare Stoudemire would be nice additions. But they wouldn't put the Knicks over the top in the East.

I don't really agree with the whole saviour idea. We're gonna have to start from close to scratch. Obviously with a James or Bosh the transition moves much quicker. But the whole "just add water" idea is kind of ridiculous. It took Patrick Ewing long enough to even get to the finals

So even with players like Amare, Johnson and the likes, we'll still be way better. I'd still be loving 5th or 6th seed next season. Anything more would be brilliant!

No matter how you spin it, 2010 will be a better year. Donnie Walsh did absolutely the right thing. I'm not gonna cry if we don't get one of the 3 big names. NYK will be a much better team and being a fan throughout the entirety of this decade, I'll have to deal with WAY less hoop trauma.

Scribbles

Rotation player
What does Devin Harris contract look like?

We're gonna need a PG next season, if it isn't a bloated contract, it might be something to shoot for....

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I wouldn't be surprised if the Nets and Knicks end up reversing course and using their expiring contracts now instead of this summer.

I hope he's right about this and knows something we don't. I just have the feeling Donnie has a one-track mind right now.

There are benefits of scrapping the 2010 plan. We have many very valuable expiring contracts right now. Players like Kirk Hinrich, Monta Ellis, Caron Butler, Antwan Jamison, Kevin Martin, Emeka Okafor, Al Jefferson and others are available to us if we commit to the fact that Lebron is not coming.

Plus, with this strategy, we can retain the Bird Rights of Lee and Harrignton and resign them without worrying about the cap. Also, the MLE and Bi-Annual would be available to us to sign other players (JJ Reddick, Jason Kapono or others) to complete the roster.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
What does Devin Harris contract look like?

We're gonna need a PG next season, if it isn't a bloated contract, it might be something to shoot for....
50M expiring in 2013. Thats a big committment, I like this kid Kyle Lowry that plays for Houston, he's coming off a rookie contract and by and large has flown under the radar rather than some of the big name PGs. He's the best offensive rebounder at his position, creates a lot of easy baskets with his dribble penetration and is an outstanding defender even against bigger people.

ANU

Starter
I hope he's right about this and knows something we don't. I just have the feeling Donnie has a one-track mind right now.

There are benefits of scrapping the 2010 plan. We have many very valuable expiring contracts right now. Players like Kirk Hinrich, Monta Ellis, Caron Butler, Antwan Jamison, Kevin Martin, Emeka Okafor, Al Jefferson and others are available to us if we commit to the fact that Lebron is not coming.

Plus, with this strategy, we can retain the Bird Rights of Lee and Harrignton and resign them without worrying about the cap. Also, the MLE and Bi-Annual would be available to us to sign other players (JJ Reddick, Jason Kapono or others) to complete the roster.
i gotta disagree with alot of those players lj.the only guy i'd be willing to get is butler, everybody else makes us subpar, with no end in sight for another decade.if we're not getting young talent in return that we could build on, there is no sense in making deals just to make deals.we'll just have to wait it out.as far as I'm concerned nobody is untouchable.not even gallinari, i'd trade him for griffin right now.and i love his game.

donnie has to get busy acquire more young players with upside with the likes of lee and harrington.we have no business giving 2nd options 1st option money.we gotta be loyal to success.these dudes get paid to play a game, so when you're getting millions there should be no hard feelings.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
i gotta disagree with alot of those players lj.the only guy i'd be willing to get is butler, everybody else makes us subpar, with no end in sight for another decade.if we're not getting young talent in return that we could build on, there is no sense in making deals just to make deals.we'll just have to wait it out.as far as I'm concerned nobody is untouchable.not even gallinari, i'd trade him for griffin right now.and i love his game.

donnie has to get busy acquire more young players with upside with the likes of lee and harrington.we have no business giving 2nd options 1st option money.we gotta be loyal to success.these dudes get paid to play a game, so when you're getting millions there should be no hard feelings.

Really?? I kind of like a lineup of:

PG-Hinrich
SG-Kevin Martin
SF-Gallo
PF-Antwan Jamison
C-Tyrus Thomas

w/ Reddick, Harrington, Chandler, Douglas, and Jeffries on the bench. Especially in D'Antoni's system.

This roster could be easily put together. If we accept the fact that Lebron and the other max agents are not coming to the Knicks and act now.

ANU

Starter

PG-Hinrich
SG-Kevin Martin
SF-Gallo
PF-Antwan Jamison
C-Tyrus Thomas

w/ Reddick, Harrington, Chandler, Douglas, and Jeffries on the bench. Especially in D'Antoni's system.

This roster could be easily put together. If we accept the fact that Lebron and the other max agents are not coming to the Knicks and act now.
i really don't like the idea of getting players based on the notion of fitting them into mike's system.we have to get the best players we can in order to be successful.that 5 is not bad, but it looks soft as hell.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
i really don't like the idea of getting players based on the notion of fitting them into mike's system.we have to get the best players we can in order to be successful.that 5 is not bad, but it looks soft as hell.
I really like the Hinrich fit. But it would be hard to get him. His contract isn't expiring this year and it's almost completely safe to say that Donnie will not take on more salary before 2010 on a guy like Hinrich. He would fit in VERY nicely though.

Besides that, I'm going to have to agree with the previous poster. We should get players that are the best available and Mike D will have to work them in accordingly. I really think that if we move either Jeffries or Curry that we can make a legitimate move at LeBron. If neither are traded before the deadline, then I think it's time to look towards Plan B.

Any ideas for Plan B? LOL

LJ4ptplay

Starter

That lineup I put up is a Plan B idea and based on Lebron and the other max free agents not coming to the Knicks. That entire roster could be easily put together if the 2010 plan is thrown away and we give up trying to maximize cap space.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
That lineup I put up is a Plan B idea and based on Lebron and the other max free agents not coming to the Knicks. That entire roster could be easily put together if the 2010 plan is thrown away and we give up trying to maximize cap space.
I don't particularly like the team as a whole. I think that we are much better off going after Caron Butler and McGee if we cannot sign LeBron or Dwayne Wade. With your "plan B" the Knicks are at best a 6 or 7 seed in the playoffs. With the kind of cap space we have and the years of being indifferent and a non-factor in the Eastern Conference, I think the Knick's fans deserve Walsh's best attempt at putting a top-notch squad together.

Plan B?:

PG Kyle Lowry
SG- Caron Butler
SF- Gallo
PF- Lee
C- McGee/Hill

I like that lineup significantly better than the one you suggested. Butler is an All-Star caliber player and would be an excellent fit. He would do a nice job slashing in Wils's spot.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I don't particularly like the team as a whole. I think that we are much better off going after Caron Butler and McGee if we cannot sign LeBron or Dwayne Wade. With your "plan B" the Knicks are at best a 6 or 7 seed in the playoffs. With the kind of cap space we have and the years of being indifferent and a non-factor in the Eastern Conference, I think the Knick's fans deserve Walsh's best attempt at putting a top-notch squad together.

Plan B?:

PG Kyle Lowry
SG- Caron Butler
SF- Gallo
PF- Lee
C- McGee/Hill

I like that lineup significantly better than the one you suggested. Butler is an All-Star caliber player and would be an excellent fit. He would do a nice job slashing in Wils's spot.

The only player I like on that roster is McGee. And he hasn't proven anything in the league yet (too many questions). I like Butler, but he's a SF not a SG. He would struggle as a SG (kind of like W. Chandler) and we could find better. Plus, I like Gallo as our SF. Kyle Lowry?? Seriously?? That's a decent lineup but doesn't fit D'Antoni's style. The lineup I suggested would fit his style and would be a much better team. Eastern Conference Finals easily.

GetRealistic

Starter

PG-Hinrich
SG-Kevin Martin
SF-Gallo
PF-Antwan Jamison
C-Tyrus Thomas

Honestly the only players i'd touch that you mention above are Hinrich and Ty Thomas. I like Hinrich as a player but i hate his contract. He's deffinately an improvement over Duhon but like Duhon he tends to go into long shooting slumps.

I would have no interest in Kevin Martin unless it was part of a bigger deal where we landed something of more substance. Kevin Martin is a scorer who would make Nate Robinson look like a good defender. Not to mention the fact that Martin is always hurt.

While i do think Jamison would fit the system, I again just am not a fan of his game. If we wanted to talk with the Wizards i'd be much more interested in players like Butler, or even Randy Foye.

Ty Thomas has alot of potential and in the right system with the right coach could be a 20 and 10 player. I believe he is like David Lee and his contract expires after the season and unofortunately for us he'll get paid big bucks due to his huge potential.

Again i'm not looking at the salary cap but if we decided to go with plan B i'd really be interested in bringing in Al Jefferson. Jefferson is one of like 10 players in the league that command a double team in the post. He has a resonable contract.

If we go plan B i'd like to shoot for Caron Butler and Al Jefferson while resigning David Lee. I'd also rather not trade Jordan Hill (right deal coems around i'd change my mind) but trading Toney Douglas is a no brainer to me. You can find another Toney Douglas in next years draft. Even though we have only a second round pick i'm conifident we could find a player of his calibar in the second round. Douglas is a defensive minded combo guard that could easily be replaced.

Some 2nd round canidates for that job would be: Sharon Collins, Kalin Lucas, or Jerome Dyson.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Honestly the only players i'd touch that you mention above are Hinrich and Ty Thomas. I like Hinrich as a player but i hate his contract. He's deffinately an improvement over Duhon but like Duhon he tends to go into long shooting slumps.

I would have no interest in Kevin Martin unless it was part of a bigger deal where we landed something of more substance. Kevin Martin is a scorer who would make Nate Robinson look like a good defender. Not to mention the fact that Martin is always hurt.

While i do think Jamison would fit the system, I again just am not a fan of his game. If we wanted to talk with the Wizards i'd be much more interested in players like Butler, or even Randy Foye.

Ty Thomas has alot of potential and in the right system with the right coach could be a 20 and 10 player. I believe he is like David Lee and his contract expires after the season and unofortunately for us he'll get paid big bucks due to his huge potential.

Again i'm not looking at the salary cap but if we decided to go with plan B i'd really be interested in bringing in Al Jefferson. Jefferson is one of like 10 players in the league that command a double team in the post. He has a resonable contract.

If we go plan B i'd like to shoot for Caron Butler and Al Jefferson while resigning David Lee. I'd also rather not trade Jordan Hill (right deal coems around i'd change my mind) but trading Toney Douglas is a no brainer to me. You can find another Toney Douglas in next years draft. Even though we have only a second round pick i'm conifident we could find a player of his calibar in the second round. Douglas is a defensive minded combo guard that could easily be replaced.

Some 2nd round canidates for that job would be: Sharon Collins, Kalin Lucas, or Jerome Dyson.

I hear you about Kevin Martin. The only reason I suggest him is because he's available, plays SG and can flat out shoot the ball. But yeah, way too injury prone.

I like Caron Butler. I just don't know where he would fit on this team. He's struggled playing SG in the past. He is a SF and I'm pretty happy with what the Knicks have at that position.

Al Jefferson, definitely. I would love for the Knicks to pursue him. And there have been rumors lately saying Minnesota has been shopping him around. Kahn denies everything, but I don't trust anything that comes out of Kahn's mouth. I don't know if I would resign Lee if we got Jefferson though. That would be a tough one. I'm not so sure Lee would fit well with Jefferson, particularly in D'Antoni's system.

I watched the Bulls vs Celtics last night. I really think Hinrich and Thomas would work well in D'Antoni's system. And both are very good defenders too. Hinrich has his struggles occasionally but honestly, what are our options for PG? Somebody give me an idea for PG for the future. I have no idea what Donnnie plans to do to fill the biggest need of the Knicks roster.

Last edited:

Osiris80

Benchwarmer
^

Neither do I. But I do know it won't be Heinrich.

Sergio Rodriguez could be a nice fit. He's playing in Evans' shadow now. He's no wonder kid, but he plays a decent enough game. Nice to have both him and Portland's Fernandez team up again.

As much as I want to get a new PG, there seems to be a shortage of any really decent ones available, much like centers.

As to be expected, they're the Knicks 2 biggest voids.

I was plugging for Denver's rookie PG Ty Lawson in the draft.... Wish he were here now.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
^

Neither do I. But I do know it won't be Heinrich.

Sergio Rodriguez could be a nice fit. He's playing in Evans' shadow now. He's no wonder kid, but he plays a decent enough game. Nice to have both him and Portland's Fernandez team up again.

As much as I want to get a new PG, there seems to be a shortage of any really decent ones available, much like centers.

As to be expected, they're the Knicks 2 biggest voids.

I was plugging for Denver's rookie PG Ty Lawson in the draft.... Wish he were here now.

I just wish there was still some way we could get Ricky Rubio. Him and Lee would run the pick and roll to perfection and I don't think anybody could stop it.

By the way, Rubio has been playing well for FC Barcelona. His last game he had 14pt- 10ast- 4stl.

ANU

Starter
rubio is already a better pg than john wall, and he will be a better pg than john wall.the more i watch wall, the more he projects as a sg.i know some would say, he's to small, but in the nba speed and length is what counts and he's got plenty of both.i think he'll be a great backcourt player though; right now he's a pass first pg. ricky on the other hand is a ****ing pg savant.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
The Twolves suck. They need to give us Rubio. Imagine how much better we would be with Rubio as our pg? He needs to add a little bit more bulk, but other than that he looks great. I'd be willing to give up anyone but Gallo and Lee to get him. We NEED Ricky Rubio. I have no idea when hes eligible for the NBA, but when he is, it NEEDS to be in a Knicks uniform.

On another note, that FC Barcelona team must be really good in that league. I don't follow International leagues but they have Rubio, Pete Mickael, Juan Carlos Navarro and Fran Vasquez.

-Rubio is a stud.
-I saw an article on this site about how the Knicks talked to Mickael before, so he must be pretty good over there.
-Navarro was on the Grizzlies before and did pretty good, he only went back because they traded away Pau Gasol.
-I remember Vasquez being a pick for the Magic meaning he must have been a pretty decent international player.

Correct me if I'm wrong, because I have no idea what their record is, but sounds like a pretty good team in that league. Yea I know they'd get raped if they played against the NBA, but sounds like a championship team for around there.

Shaunyboy23

Benchwarmer
Gay Thoughts?

I really like the Hinrich fit. But it would be hard to get him. His contract isn't expiring this year and it's almost completely safe to say that Donnie will not take on more salary before 2010 on a guy like Hinrich. He would fit in VERY nicely though.

Besides that, I'm going to have to agree with the previous poster. We should get players that are the best available and Mike D will have to work them in accordingly. I really think that if we move either Jeffries or Curry that we can make a legitimate move at LeBron. If neither are traded before the deadline, then I think it's time to look towards Plan B.

:2cents:Has any one thought of Rudy Gay? He will b available as a RFA this offseason, nd could b a great sidekick, if we were to get a big name, or part of a bigger core. he's pretty versatile...can play the 2 or the 3. and a huge positive is that we can sign and trade for him, which would preserve cap space