if you were donnie, would you try to make a deal for blake griffin?

ANU

Starter
i forget whether or not you can deal players on the injured list, but for arguments sake, lets supposed we can.

i know blake is done for the year, and his situation doesn't look good, but i just can't get over how exciting this dude could be in the league especially at msg.i remember reading at the start of the season on an espn chat where he was asked what arena was he looking forward to playing in the most and he said MSG.his agent was hoping the knicks landed the first pick to draft him, but we know how that went.

so if you are donnie, and you thought the clippers where willing to deal him,
would you try and get him?

KBlack25

Starter
As a GM, you wouldn't be doing your job if you didn't at least look into his availability, but the odds of landing him (assuming he is trade-able) would be slim. Fact is, it's not like Blake Griffin could land the Clips a piece that would send them to an NBA Title. They'll wait on him, or demand a king's ransom. We don't have enough to get him.

Last edited:

ANU

Starter
the most i would offer is lee,gallo, and nate.might not be enough for an nba title, but it could add to their depth and in the playoffs that's key, they could very well beat the lakers with a squad consisting of

camby/jordan
kaman/lee
gallinari/thorton
gordon/butler/nate
davis/telfair/nate

meanwhile for us, a core of

hill
griffin
chandler
james?
(as long as it isn't dudu)

would be our fab four.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
If I were Donnie Walsh I'd obviously look into it, but I know I'd be quickly rebutted. Griffin was their 1st round pick. Their future. Their everything. Just because he can't play this year doesn't mean they are going to trade him. The Clips saw glimpses of superstardom out of this guy in the preseason. I doubt anything would happen. Just like when Oden got injured (in his rookie season not now), Portland wasn't even going to answer any trades dealing with him.

ANU

Starter
<object width="560" height="340">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wwe58PWcsy4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></object>

fockin nasty.
look at kobe and odom cover their faces on the bench.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Why would the Clippers trade Blake Griffin for anyone on the current Knick roster?

Griffin has the potential to be better than everyone on the current Knick roster, so it wouldn't make any sense.

ANU

Starter
out of fear that he'll never reach his potential because of injuries.he's been injured before.the knicks can take that chance cause we're not giving up a franchise player, and we might be getting one this summer.the clippers could put a nice little run with the roster they would have with the additions of gallo,lee and nate.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yhzfh6c

griffin, smith, novak, davis, skinner for lee, nate, and gallinari.

and its not like clippers management is known for making smart moves so i wouldn't put it against them to deal him.

dave2138

Rotation player
There is no reason for the Clippers to sell low Griffin. If they trade him it would be only if some team would be willing to treat his value the same way it was before the season started.

So what would it have taken to get Griffin before the season started? Hill + Gallinari? Is that a good trade? Fun to think about, but odds are neither team would look to make a major trade like that.

ANU

Starter
There is no reason for the Clippers to sell low Griffin. If they trade him it would be only if some team would be willing to treat his value the same way it was before the season started.

So what would it have taken to get Griffin before the season started? Hill + Gallinari? Is that a good trade? Fun to think about, but odds are neither team would look to make a major trade like that.

there is one reason.he's out for the season and he's been hurt before.he is looking injury prone, so IMO this is a sell high scenario in actuality.
everybody expects him to be a really good player, but he has to actually get on the floor to show everyone he will be.other wise he'll be kenyon martin after the injuries.

you might ask, if he's injury prone, then why would the knicks target him?

well, i happen to think if he gets healthy, and stays healthy, he is an ideal player for this city, and this team.i think he's got the sorta frame to have a little bit oakley, reed, and anthony mason in his game, as well as the power and athleticism to turn into a karl malone type.

i don't know.that's just me.i would prefer his style of game to anybody on this team, including my fav knick gallo.he looks like a tough punch you in the mouth type game, with elite athleticism he'd could electrifying at the garden.he's got braodway bully written all over him.

then i'd trade chandler and hill plus 3 mill,plus capsace for the wolves, plus my left nut for the rights to rubio, and walla we've got our very own stockton and malone.

Last edited:

dave2138

Rotation player
The problem is the Clippers will want to keep him for the same reasons why you say the Knicks should target him.

Its not at all a sell high situation because you are expecting his trade value to take a hit which it will because of the injury. You bring this up because you think that maybe the Clippers will undervalue him and trade him at a discount. There is 0 chance of that happening in my opinion because teams just don't sell low on a player like that.

Why give up on a #1 pick when he was injured during what was a give up year anyway. That's like saying the Knicks should have traded Gallinari last off season for Courtney Lee...

I know its wishful thinking and I agree if hes available even at the price it would have took to get him before the season started it should be looked at. I'd do Gallinari and Hill for Griffin in a second because of the upside he has.

ANU

Starter
The problem is the Clippers will want to keep him for the same reasons why you say the Knicks should target him.
1.they're the clippers.that team is not on rebuild mode.in fact, that team is in win now mode.they gave davis that shit contract, and kaman is playing at an all star level.considering how overrated the lakers are, the clippers could be that team that could win a championship with that added depth even if it would be an aberration.the celtics are a year older, the lakers have no depth, and the magic and cavs are pretenders.and you're talking like they're getting bums in return.can you seriously tell me they get raped in that deal?

Its not at all a sell high situation because you are expecting his trade value to take a hit which it will because of the injury. You bring this up because you think that maybe the Clippers will undervalue him and trade him at a discount. There is 0 chance of that happening in my opinion because teams just don't sell low on a player like that.

Why give up on a #1 pick when he was injured during what was a give up year anyway. That's like saying the Knicks should have traded Gallinari last off season for Courtney Lee...

I know its wishful thinking and I agree if hes available even at the price it would have took to get him before the season started it should be looked at. I'd do Gallinari and Hill for Griffin in a second because of the upside he has.
2.I'm a say it again.he's hurt.out for the season, and he's been hurt before.he's looking injury prone.but still the luster of being the number 1 pick has not worn off. supposed he gets hurt again, and it could happen, cause its happened before, you think someone is going to try to deal for him when his game right now is based on explosiveness? and please tell me how the hell is trading gallo for courtney lee comparable to this situation? because gallo was hurt last season? how does the value of that trade fair in comparison to a blake for lee,gallo and nate deal? lee is probably going to be an all star, gallinari has plenty of upside, and nate would put asses on the seats.so tell me how? is blake griffin going to be an all star and a first teamer next year?

dave2138

Rotation player
The problem is I don't think Lee has much trade value especially to the Clippers. They aren't going anywhere this year and Lee is a FA after this season. If they want him so bad why wouldn't they sign him in the offseason. If Nate can bring back a mid 2nd round pick I would be happy..not expecting him to have much trade value.

So basically your offer is Gallinari for Griffin which is something I can't see them doing because Griffin just has much more upside from next season on when it really matters. Both teams are kind of similar because 2010/2011 season is what they are aiming for. Clippers have like 15 mil in cap space + Griffin coming back + probably the 11th overall pick in the draft.

Still even if there was a fair offer the Knicks could come up with it doesn't make sense for me from the Clippers perspective that they would trade Griffin. There is so much hype surrounding him, that its so unlikely they would trade away someone who was drafted to be the face of the franchise and not given a chance.

I see what you are saying about the injury risk of Griffin, but I don't think its enough for them to sell low on him and trading him for Gallinari is selling low.

Anyway, we just have to agree to disagree on whether or not Griffin will be made available. I would be very surprised to hear any rumors about this and figure he is already penciled in as the team's starting PF come October of this year.

ANU

Starter
The problem is I don't think Lee has much trade value especially to the Clippers. They aren't going anywhere this year and Lee is a FA after this season. If they want him so bad why wouldn't they sign him in the offseason. If Nate can bring back a mid 2nd round pick I would be happy..not expecting him to have much trade value.

So basically your offer is Gallinari for Griffin which is something I can't see them doing because Griffin just has much more upside from next season on when it really matters. Both teams are kind of similar because 2010/2011 season is what they are aiming for. Clippers have like 15 mil in cap space + Griffin coming back + probably the 11th overall pick in the draft.

Still even if there was a fair offer the Knicks could come up with it doesn't make sense for me from the Clippers perspective that they would trade Griffin. There is so much hype surrounding him, that its so unlikely they would trade away someone who was drafted to be the face of the franchise and not given a chance.

I see what you are saying about the injury risk of Griffin, but I don't think its enough for them to sell low on him and trading him for Gallinari is selling low.

Anyway, we just have to agree to disagree on whether or not Griffin will be made available. I would be very surprised to hear any rumors about this and figure he is already penciled in as the team's starting PF come October of this year.

i don't want avi's no d playing ass here next year.i was just throwing this out there because i think its possible and we should get value for him.
if he is re-signed say bye bye to lebron and hello to another subpar decade.
i just really hate the way this team is currently built.
Gallinari is better than him.
his skill set is better, but griffin will be better.