Walsh still has eyes on Rubio

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Please, oh please let him be a Knick.

Interesting point made here. Donnie said Kahn wants to bring him over next year. He's signed to FC Barcelona to a 6 year contract but with an option to leave after 2 years. I wonder if we were able to trade for him if we could bring him over next year. The buyout would probably be outrageous but Nike would probably chip in a lot of money to get him in NY. And Rubio would defintely leave early if he could come to the Knicks.

Other interesting points. Mark Cuban doesn't think the Knicks are in the lead for Lebron James. I happen to agree with him. We need to either acquire more talent (e.g. Rubio) or get more cap space, probably both. As it stands right now, Lebron aint coming.

Walsh still has eyes on Rubio

By MARC BERMAN
Last Updated: 10:18 AM, January 25, 2010
Posted: 3:34 AM, January 25, 2010

When the Timberwolves visit the Garden tomorrow, they'll be without the 19-year-old floppy-haired Spanish point guard the Knicks still covet.

Ricky Rubio, whom the Wolves drafted sixth, is playing in Spain this season, switching teams to FC Barcelona. That actually turned out well for the Knicks, who are still marking his progress.

Knicks international scout Kevin Wilson, who's responsible for their pick of Danilo Gallinari, lives in Barcelona and the Regal Barcelona team is his hometown club. It has been well-documented Wilson is friends with the Rubio family and Ricky's parents would love to see the Timberwolves deal him to New York.

Wilson is in town this week as the Knicks have their scouting meetings as a prelude to the Feb. 19 trading deadline and discussing available point guards will be a priority.

Knicks president Donnie Walsh told The Post the last time he spoke to Wolves president David Kahn, his former assistant in Indiana, he was told Minnesota wasn't accepting trade offers now. Rubio is averaging 5.6 assists for Barcelona and showing marked improvement, but he's still leery about spending his career in Minnesota.

"David has told me he wants to bring Ricky over for next season," Walsh told The Post.

Beyond signing a maximum free agent, the Knicks will be in the market for a point guard this offseason since Chris Duhon and Nate Robinson will become free agents and aren't likely to be re-signed.

* Mavericks owner Mark Cuban doesn't feel the Knicks are in the lead for LeBron James just because they will lead the league in cap space. The Mavericks will be under the cap if they renounce Erick Dampier and Josh Howard.

"It doesn't matter," Cuban said. "With any top-tier player, when they have multiple choices for [maximum] money, it really comes down to where he thinks he has the best chance to win. That's up to each individual organization to convince him of that. New York is a great selling point, Miami is a great selling point, Dallas, Chicago, Los Angeles, Memphis. Maybe he's a huge Elvis [Presley] fan."

Cuban is host to next month's All-Star weekend that will be played in the new Cowboys Stadium. Cuban said 85,000 tickets have already been sold and the NBA is deciding whether to add more. Cuban would like to break the stadium record of 105,000.

"It could be for north Texas, the largest party weekend in the history of the United States," Cuban said.

* David Lee's All-Star candidacy may have taken a hit because of the Knicks' recent 2-6 slide, putting them nine games below .500.

D'Antoni said: "If [Lee] were on one of the top teams, without a doubt. If he doesn't make it, it's because we didn't win enough."

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knic...on_rubio_3ma2CixugKMe8nLLtr87kL#ixzz0dcfrMjlx

dave2138

Rotation player
Its a long shot that he comes to US next year. I believe his buyout increases to something like 8,9 mil so why would he choose to come to the NBA now as opposed to last year.

Anyway, it might be a good idea to try and trade for him knowing he will come over for the 2011/2012 season..Especially if Minnesota ends up winning the draft lottery I could see them trading both Flynn and Rubio.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Its a long shot that he comes to US next year. I believe his buyout increases to something like 8,9 mil so why would he choose to come to the NBA now as opposed to last year.

Anyway, it might be a good idea to try and trade for him knowing he will come over for the 2011/2012 season..Especially if Minnesota ends up winning the draft lottery I could see them trading both Flynn and Rubio.

He didn't come to the NBA last year because of Minnesota and the lack of endorsement money he could find there. If the Knicks had drafted him last year he would have come.

If he wins a championship with FC Barcelona this year (very likely) and the Knicks traded for his rights, he would definitely try to come over next year. If his buyout is $8-9 mil, Nike would chip in a lot to get him to play in New York. He would be a huge marketing asset for Nike. He could probably find other endorsement money to help pay the buyout. There are may endorsement opportunities in New York, much more than Minnesota.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Wilson Chandler and Toney Douglas for Rubio works for me!

This leaves a big gaping whole at the SG for us next year, but gives us the PG we so desperatley need!

mafra

Legend
I think if DW fails to bring in DJ Augustine, Jerryd Bayless, Sergio Rodriguez or Rudy Fernandez by the trade deadline this season he'll target Ricky Rubio this offseason. For sure.

Trading Wilson Chandler and/or expiring contracts would be the most likely scenario. I doubt.... or should I say.... I'M POSITIVE he wont deal Gallo or Hill.

Rubio
James
Gallo
Lee
Hill

This would be the preferred starting 5 next year, if this happens.

ANU

Starter
chandler is a solid ball player and will be a solid ball player for years to come.but he is not, nor will be enough to net this team rubio.maybe gallo might be. maybe hill and chandler in a package might be, but i wouldn't take that gamble.both of those guys have the sort of games that are important to championship caliber teams.

2 problems this team has had have been is the mismatches that arise when playing athletically superior teams, which will happen as these players get older, as well as the taller longer teams that are more difficult to deal when this team is on the offensive end.

that is another reason to value both chandler and hill over a lee.

on gallo: for all of gallinari's skills, he is not explosive enough to be a sf.so if he is going to be a part of the future of this team, he needs to be the pf of this team.these are not the 80's and he is not larry bird.athletic freaks in the nba seem the norm today in comparison to then.so, in order to maximize his affect on the floor, he needs to be a pf.the same goes for lee.

Last edited:

New New York

Quiet Storm
Gallo for Rubio

The trade the Knicks should make is Gallo for Rubio! If we make this deal, then I would become a beliver in Lebron to NY!

First Minny....Jefferson,Love,Gallo is a very nice frontcourt for them they are pretty much set at the PG so all they have to do now is use their lottery pick to find them a SG and in a few years would be relevant again

Now for us, in the mean time we slide Al Harrington back at SF to finish out the season.

Lets say the cap comes in at 54 million giving us 27.5

We trade Jefferies on Draft Night for a couple of second rounders, hell I'd even throw in a 2013 first rounder with it

so now we have 34 million

we sign D Lee to a backloaded deal starting at 8.5 leaving us with 25.5

sign Lebron for 17 million

split the 8 between Nate and Al

Rubio/Douglas/Nate
Chandler/Nate
Lebron/Harrington/Chandler
Lee/Lebron/Harrington
Hill/Lee/Curry(contract year and Lebron could make a difference)

Best supporting cast Lebron has ever had. Dolan gives him his own TV station as an incentive. A top 3 team in the east for sure

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
New New York,

Split 8 million for Harrington and Robinson? Are you serious, those two won't be back especially at those prices, you got to remember Harrington thinks he is in the same class as Wade and Carmelo.:eek:hboy:

iSaYughh

Starter
We need to shed Jeffries and trade for a PG/Rubio. This can be done:

Harrington, N8, Chandler, Douglas, picks are the assets. We will also have Curry's expiring next yr, assuming we don't deal him prior.

Chandler + Douglas + 1st for Rubio/Harris who are insanely primed for us, even moreso if the odds hold and the Nets get Wall.

Harrington + N8 + Jeffries this season for cap, allowing us to swiftly sign Lee, henceforth offering Lebron the following present and future:

PG Rubio (or Harris)
SG Lebron
SF Gallo
PF Lee
C Hill

We are instantly the team of the future, the talk of the NBA, and contenders right away.

It's a highly unique, hybrid-like roster, but D'Ant couldn't get a finer roster to play with and work a system of his through, and there isn't a team in the NBA who'd have a starting 5 that I'd rather call my franchise's own.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I'd say trading for Rubio would take priority over shedding Jeffries' contract

LeBron is such a good player as it is, imagine what would happen if he had a good distributor like Ricky Rubio helping him out on the other end. Imagine what that'd do for LeBron's marketability. We can deal with one year of having Jeffries and Curry on the salary cap if it means getting Rubio. Plus we need to get rid of Jeffries but I don't think dealing him is worth giving up the pieces we'd need to deal Rubio either.

I'd love to see if we could deal Chandler and a protected first rounder in 2012 for the rights to draft Ricky Rubio. And then we'd try to package Jeffries to a playoff-caliber team that could use a lockdown defender on the wing like Jeffries is (he can defend almost anybody but he really shines when he's defending opposing point guards). They'd probably have to get a third team involved. But if Walsh managed to get Rubio...we'd be set.

Rubio
????(I'm hoping for Rudy Fernandez, but...)
Gallinari
LeBron
Hill

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
For starters, the Lebron fiasco is getting less likely as league wide situations unfold.

Secondly, hoping for Rubio is as aspirationally absurd as assuming Lebron is coming.

Lastly, with a catatonic approach to forcing action, Donnie's cap space obsessed mind seems (to me) to be blindly walking into a plague of dissapointments. Though I still agree that the cap clear out was the best idea, whether or not it pays off is looking less likely.

New New York

Quiet Storm
New New York,

Split 8 million for Harrington and Robinson? Are you serious, those two won't be back especially at those prices, you got to remember Harrington thinks he is in the same class as Wade and Carmelo.:eek:hboy:

I somewhat agree with you, but here is my logic on this one... consider that both players want to be Knicks. Nate at best gets a MLE offer, but I think he would elect to stay a Knick for longer term deal with bigger pay increases as long as he gets playing time. Plus Dantoni would give him the minutes and the opportunity to score the ball like no one else.

Al Harrington has said he wants to be around when The Knicks "turn things around", so he too would take less money to remain a Knick. If The Knicks sign Lebron then Al is going to stick around for less. Not to mention no coach in the League gives Al the freedom he is allowed in Dantoni's system. Plus as much as he thinks he is the same class with Wade in Melo, fact is GM's in the league do not see him as that. Consider Ariza and Artest two comparable players only got MLE money, then 5-6 million is the best offer a team considers giving Harrington -at best!-, again he elects to stay with the man who drafted him and his hometown for 4 million.....ideally.

Now this is not to say how it will play out, but it isnt as impossible a scenerio as you may think :thumbsup:

But hell, let Harrington walk, Marcus Camby would come back to be on this squad for 4 million

Rubio/Douglas
Chandler/Nate
Lebron/Chandler
Lee/Hill
Camby/Lee/Curry

New New York

Quiet Storm
Dant is not gonna let his godson be dealt. That's too close to home for Donnie to even consider.

If we have learned nothing else about our coach in the past two seasons we should know by now that Dantoni's lone loyatly is to winning and improving his overall coaching record!

Q-Rich was his favorite player last year and where did he end up? He benched our lottery pick for most of this season. These are signs that when it comes to winning, Dant will do anything!

If he had an opportunity to get a player who is thought to be the second coming of Nash, then BYE BYE Danillo! Dantoni would call his dad tell him no hard feelings and keep it moving!

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
I would love Rubio but don't want to give up Gallo. I would give up Chandler some second rounders...maybe a future 1st but thats about it.

TheChosen1

Benchwarmer
I would love Rubio but don't want to give up Gallo. I would give up Chandler some second rounders...maybe a future 1st but thats about it.

I agree. I wouldn't want to give up Gallo. Rubio would solve our PG problems for years to come. If Donnie pulls this off then he really is the "Don" of the Nba. Now just add LeBron and we have a team to be reckoned with.

GetRealistic

Starter
I think the fact Jordan Hill is finally getting some burn means we are deffinately shopping him so we don't have to give up Gallo or Chandler (not that i care if Will is traded). Hill has shown some flashes in the last few games and i'm assuming theres a market for a young 7' footer with a small contract who was just drafted 8th overall.

TheChosen1

Benchwarmer
Kahn Still Committed To Bringing Rubio To Minnesota

Jan 26, 2010 10:32 PM EST
David Kahn told New York reporters that he still expects his 2009 draft pick Ricky Rubio to play in Minnesota when his NBA career begins.
Kahn also seemed skeptical that the Knicks could make a trade offer for Rubio that would interest the Wolves.
"I mean no disrespect to the Knicks and Donnie [Walsh], but what kind of trade could they propose?" Kahn asked.
On Monday in New York, Kahn had dinner with Walsh, his former boss at the Pacers.
"I have as much affection and respect for him as anybody in this league," Kahn said.
Via Star Tribune
Minnesota Timberwolves, New York Knicks

If we want Rubio for next season, either he's going to have to say he'll only play for NY or we're going to have to wait it out. I'm pretty sure after next season Minny doesn't have rights to him anymore. If I'm wrong someone correct me.

I don't know what Kahn is expecting for Rubio but it sounds like he wants a lot. I say we offer our 2 second round picks and try to get a late or mid first round to Minny. He doesn't want any of our players. One player he might be interested in is Gallo, but he isn't going anywhere. I know sending those picks sounds like a lot but we do have our 2011 picks and we would get our franchise PG in Rubio.