Walsh says Knicks won't make deadline deal

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Walsh says again Knicks won't make deadline deal

7:32 PM, February 2, 2010 By BRIAN LEWIS

With the NBA trade deadline approaching Feb. 18, and reports swirling that the Knicks are actively shopping guard Nate Robinson and defensive-minded big man Jared Jeffries, president Donnie Walsh reiterated that he won't make any deals.

"I've said this a lot, and it's always the same: It's you're always looking to see if there's something that can make you a better team. You're not going I make a trade that’s a bad trade because there's some idea that you should make a trade,'' said Walsh. "Any time there's a good trade you look into it.''

With the Knicks having lost nine of 12, fans are clearly impatient for Walsh to pull the trigger on a trade. But both he and Mike D'Antoni both say the players on the roster have to show more grit as they teeter on the brink of the playoff picture. Problem is so few have legit postseason chops to know what to do.

Al Harrington is questionable with a sore left knee, and Larry Hughes is clearly persona non grata in the rotation, a DNP in 11 of 13 games and dying to get out of Dodge -- or at least D'Antoni's doghouse. How can he provide veteran leadership from the end of the bench?

"I would hope that guys that've been there would have a voice. But I don’t know that,'' said Walsh, concerned that a bad February could make March anticlimactic.

"That’s tough. I think that’s what mike was trying to forewarn them; you’ve got to do it now, get yourself in a good position,'' Walsh said. "Every playoff team -- even the ones that are slated to go to the final four -- know they have to get themselves into position to get in position. That’s the whole trick of the regular-season.''

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/knicksblog/walsh_says_again_knicks_won_make_z3JL8CNEcT5j2WHEMICtQM

This is either one of two things:

a.) Walsh is lying

b.) Walsh is a complete idiot

Which is it?

GetRealistic

Starter
I choose C; Walsh is trying to make moves but is realistic about the likleyhood of being able to do so

Pretty much dead on... Of course he's trying to make deals but he's giving the fan base an early warning its going to be hard to make a deal so don't get your hopes up.

p0nder

Starter
Misleading article/thread title... Walsh didn't say he would not make a deal, just that he's only interested in making good deals.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Think about it.....Isiah made trade deadline moves his first 3 seasons as GM of The Knicks....point being, sometimes the best moves are the ones not made!

If Donnie has an opportunity to make us better he will, I just really doubt that opportunity is out there

Giants89FLY

Rotation player
Think about it.....Isiah made trade deadline moves his first 3 seasons as GM of The Knicks....point being, sometimes the best moves are the ones not made!

If Donnie has an opportunity to make us better he will, I just really doubt that opportunity is out there
Great post! Dead on!

LJ4ptplay

Starter

Not when you are trying to dump salary and completely rebuild.

It's very difficult for me to believe that Jeffries is impossible to trade. It is impossible to trade Jeffries for an expiring contract and make this team better this year. But I think that is a foolish approach.

Deals can be made. Jeffries could be packaged with Nate + a 2nd round pick or even Chandler for a few complete scrubs that don't play. Especially to a team that is in the playoffs and/or not going to be under the cap for the next couple years.

I also think Lee + Harrington could be enough for a playoff team to take on Curry as well. Deals can be made.

If Portland is considering sending Fernandez to the Wiz for Haywood, I would think Lee could get us Fernandez.

And really, what has Donnie done? He got rid of Z-Bo (All-Star) and Crawford (6th man of the year). That's it. More work needs to be done for the 2010 plan to be successful.

Seems like everyone is satisfied and ok with the 2011 plan. I am not.

ANU

Starter

this is totally different.seriously, donnie needs to hire a ****ing gm if he's not going to his ****ing job.you don't get rid of jeffires, you can only sign lee or james.you sign james, you'll lose lee for nothing.

why wouldn't he make any moves? because crawford is cooking in atl, and z-bo is an all star?smfh.

johnstarky

Rotation player
It seems like nobody wants the junk that's on the New York Knicks right now.Do you really believe that NBA general managers are saying to themselves,"That Jared Jeffries is a must have and a missing piece to a championship run, I need to have this guy on my team"? Or,"Eddy Curry has tremendous potential to get back into playing shape and be a very dominating big man in the frontcourt".It's very rare to find an NBA executive who is stupid enough to take on the payroll of players that won't really benefit their team in the short term or the long term.We had the tough luck of having two of the worst NBA GMs in recent NBA history and we as Knick fans are still suffering from their past mistakes.You can't take everything Walsh says to the media literally.There could be more than one reason why he hasn't made a move yet.

It is also rare to build an NBA team in the span of 2 years.How many GMs you know built a playoff team in the span of 2 years or less without having the luxury of signing or trading for a superstar? It takes about 3 to 5 years for a team to go from being a cellar dweller to being in a position to compete every night.Instant progress is something that is unobtainable in the NBA unless an elite player marvelously falls into the hands of your team.Is it frustrating that the Knicks haven't made a move this season to unload salary? I'm not not denying that it is but Knick fans shouldn't feel distaught at Donnie Walsh's inability to create cap space.As much as we follow the Knicks and the NBA I don't think that any of us would be able to put the Knicks in a position to clear cap space and sign 2 superstar free agents this summer.That is just the reality of it and we need to accept that reality.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
It seems like nobody wants the junk that's on the New York Knicks right now.Do you really believe that NBA general managers are saying to themselves,"That Jared Jeffries is a must have and a missing piece to a championship run, I need to have this guy on my team"? Or,"Eddy Curry has tremendous potential to get back into playing shape and be a very dominating big man in the frontcourt"? It's very rare to find an NBA executive who is stupid enough to take on the payroll of players that won't really benefit their team in the short term or the long term.We had the tough luck of having two of the worst NBA GMs in recent NBA history and we as Knick fans are still suffering from their past mistakes.

It is also rare to build an NBA team in the span of 2 years.How many GMs you know built a playoff team in the span of 2 years or less without having the luxury of signing or trading for a superstar? It takes about 3 to 5 years for a team to go from being a cellar dweller to being in a position to compete every night.Instant progress is something that is unobtainable in the NBA unless an elite player marvelously falls into the hands of your team.Is it frustrating that the Knicks haven't made a move this season to unload salary? I'm not not denying that it is but Knick fans shouldn't feel distaught at Donnie Walsh's inability to create cap space.As much as we follow the Knicks and the NBA I don't think that any of us would be able to put the Knicks in a position to clear cap space and sign 2 superstar free agents this summer.That is just the reality of it and we need to accept that reality.

Oh how harsh reality has been to our Knicks :/, good post. And at this point I'd rather keep Jeffries than have to trade Hill, Gallo, or Chandler just to get rid of him. Jeffries will be VERY useful as an expiring contract next year

johnstarky

Rotation player
Oh how harsh reality has been to our Knicks :/, good post. And at this point I'd rather keep Jeffries than have to trade Hill, Gallo, or Chandler just to get rid of him. Jeffries will be VERY useful as an expiring contract next year

It would be nonsensical for Walsh to dump one of his young and aspiring players just to get rid of salary.Any smart general manager in a position that Walsh is in right now would look beyond the summer of 2010 and not look at getting rid of contracts as a matter of life and death.

DANUTZ39

Benchwarmer
I'm sick of all writers that put their own spin in things said so they get audience.

1. Walsh did not said ''no moves'' but that he won't make a move just for the sake of it. So if it doesen't help us win or get rid of our bad contracts he will stay put.

2. D Lee and Nate(BYC and veto power) have the levarage so it won't be easy to move them.

3. Galllo is prety much untouchable and he won't move Hill, Douglass or Chandler unless someone pick up Curry. Jeffries has a little value so he may be packaged with a (Lee, Nate, Harrington or Hughes expirings)

4. That being said nobody says ''yeah we going def make some trades'' so you give more bullets to reporters. Like who you gonna move or whom you target. Not to say you look desperate and lose levarage.

So lets wait and see if he nixes a deal that can help us before we jump on him.

clumsy

Rotation player
The Mavericks are looking to move a struggling Josh howard who expires next year

Eddy Curry for Josh Howard straightup. I'd even do Eddy + Wilson Chandler for Josh and 1st ruond.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
The Mavericks are looking to move a struggling Josh howard who expires next year

Eddy Curry for Josh Howard straightup. I'd even do Eddy + Wilson Chandler for Josh and 1st ruond.

Curry + Lee for Howard + Gooden works.

I would even throw in a pick to get rid of Curry. An extra $12 mil in cap space would be huge.

We need to think about trading Lee. He is an unrestricted free agent this summer and there are no guarantees that he will resign with us. It would really suck if we don't get Lebron and Lee this summer.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
we should really go after Augustin, brown wants to trade him and he would be our solution at PG he's young and has the talent, his career can be rejuvenated with a move here

LJ4ptplay

Starter
we should really go after Augustin, brown wants to trade him and he would be our solution at PG he's young and has the talent, his career can be rejuvenated with a move here

I don't know. I would be willing to take a chance on him because we desperately need a PG but I wouldn't give up much for him. I'm not sold on Augustin yet. Particularly because Brown loves pass first PGs (which we need) and he's so adamant about getting rid of him. Just makes me kind of skeptical.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Not when you are trying to dump salary and completely rebuild.

It's very difficult for me to believe that Jeffries is impossible to trade. It is impossible to trade Jeffries for an expiring contract and make this team better this year. But I think that is a foolish approach.

Deals can be made. Jeffries could be packaged with Nate + a 2nd round pick or even Chandler for a few complete scrubs that don't play. Especially to a team that is in the playoffs and/or not going to be under the cap for the next couple years.

I also think Lee + Harrington could be enough for a playoff team to take on Curry as well. Deals can be made.

If Portland is considering sending Fernandez to the Wiz for Haywood, I would think Lee could get us Fernandez.

And really, what has Donnie done? He got rid of Z-Bo (All-Star) and Crawford (6th man of the year). That's it. More work needs to be done for the 2010 plan to be successful.

Seems like everyone is satisfied and ok with the 2011 plan. I am not.

To quote Donnie Walsh "it is one thing to propose trades with your buddies at the bar, it is another thing to go out and make these deals actually happen"

You cant blame Donnie Walsh for teams not wanting to take on Jefferies or Curry.

The package you proposed of Lee,Harrington and Curry would be foolish considering both Lee and Harrington could choose not to resign with the team they are traded to and all the team would be left with is 11 plus million to Eddy Curry!

Teams are probably trying to squeeze Donnie in a deal for Jefferies, I know if the deal was Jefferies for an expiring contract the deal would be done by now. Teams are probably demanding unprotected picks and saving the 6 million owed to Jefferies is just not worth it, especially since his contract becomes a valuable chip next year and Jefferies is playing decent ball for us.

Plus you are reading way too much into this, again Donnie is not going to inform Knick fans of every offer he has on the table, did we have any idea that he was trading Crawford to G-State, Zach to LAC, or Jerome James to Chicago? This time last year Walsh pulled off two deals -one was a moral victory in moving Jerome James- and he also said then he didnt think any deals were out there that didnt negatively affect the 2010 plan.

Walsh will try until the trade deadline to move Jefferies, you can count on that!

New New York

Quiet Storm

Larry Brown is looking to move Augistine for a "veteren big man", who knows maybe Jefferis fits that mold?

Pedro De Pacas

Benchwarmer
I don't think that Jeffries is the big man LB is looking for, numbers don't match neither and the Bobcats got no other contracts to make it work with still beeing interesting for us.
But I do believe, as the deadline approaches some teams like SA, Dal or LAL might want to add a versatile defender. Jeffries for Morrison - as soon as we see, that the playoffs are out of reach - might work.

mafra

Legend
WORD around the campfire says NY is one of the most active teams working the phone lines.

HINT: What was the impetus to start N8 at PG over Duhon? Now of all times? Duhon has stunk for a year now, but SUDDENLY 2 weeks before trade deadline N8 is made the starter? Trying to drive his worth up?

Anyway.... NO WAY we should deal Hill, Douglas or Chandler just to dump Jared Jeffries. It's not worth it. Like others mentioned, JJ could be traded in a draft deal to a team looking to dump a contract. He might even be worth something now.

If I can't deal JJ, then I must unload Lee (or risk losing him for nothing come free agency).

JJ, N8, Lee and Harrington all have some value.

Knicks should make a deal:

- If they can dump Jeffries or Curry
- Get a PG
- Get a young, cheap player
- Get a 1st round pick