T-Mac (NY) - Harrington (CHI) - Thomas (Hou) TRADE?

mafra

Legend
ESPN News tickers is hinting that something was discussed yesterday; it was mentioned near the end of the ASG; and word from mcgrady's camp is he's headed to NY.

We know the Knicks need to do something, but we're also aware that HOU wont be going out of its way to do T-Mac any favors. HOU has said all along that they'll only make a deal if it means they get a young player in return.

I'm sure we're not trading Hill for T-Mac.... SO, where does this leave us?

WELL, we're also well aware that Tyrus Thomas has worn out his welcome in CHI, and they want to deal him. We heard about a potential Harrington-Thomas deal before... We know CHI is looking for a scorer... Looking at HOU, not sure who they have that CHI covets.

Reports today hint that HOU is close to trading for Tyrus. They are one of 3 teams that made a serious offer. With this rumor and the T-Mac stuff.... Well, I don't think it's going out on a limb to suggest that a potential deal is about to go down:

NY gets T-Mac
CHI gets Al Harrington
HOU gets Tyrus Thomas

Now, there may be other principals in the deal (like Hughes or something).... But I think this is news we should expect to hear soon.

Anyone for/against this trade? Would you prefer Thomas over T-Mac?

Should we hope the deal is expanded?

I think if Knicks gets T-Mac, or Thomas, or a PG or draft pick, or can shed JJ or EC's salary... then we've had a solid trade deadline.

If this deal goes down.... T-Mac runs the point. Chandler, Gallo, Lee, Hill, Landry & Douglas in the roation. N8 is points off the bench. We prepare for next year.

keyser soze

Benchwarmer
ESPN News tickers is hinting that something was discussed yesterday; it was mentioned near the end of the ASG; and word from mcgrady's camp is he's headed to NY.

We know the Knicks need to do something, but we're also aware that HOU wont be going out of its way to do T-Mac any favors. HOU has said all along that they'll only make a deal if it means they get a young player in return.

WELL, we're also well aware that Tyrus Thomas has worn out his welcome in CHI, and they want to deal him. We heard about a potential Harrington-Thomas deal before... We know CHI is looking for a scorer... Looking at HOU, not sure who they have that CHI covets.

Reports today hint that HOU is close to trading for Tyrus. They are one of 3 teams that made a serious offer. With this rumor and the T-Mac stuff.... Well, I don't think it's going out on a limb to suggest that a potential deal is about to go down:

NY gets T-Mac
CHI gets Al Harrington
HOU gets Tyrus Thomas

Now, there may be other principals in the deal (like Hughes or something).... But I think this is news we should expect to hear soon.

I think if Knicks gets T-Mac, or Thomas, or a PG or draft pick, or can shed JJ or EC's salary... then we've had a solid trade deadline.

If this deal goes down.... T-Mac runs the point. Chandler, Gallo, Lee, Hill, Landry & Douglas in the roation. N8 is points off the bench. We prepare for next year.

I would be down for any deal for T-Mac that doesn't A) hurt our salary cap situation for this coming summer or B) trade away Gallinari/Hill. I'm one of the few here who really thinks a deal for T-mac would make a lot of sense for us and I am definately rooting or it to happen. I'm always in favor of taking flyers on star-caliber players. I am a big believer in a change of scenery doing wonders in certain situations and I would not be shocked at all to see T-Mac play really well in New York. I have a hard time believing that he has nothing left in the tank and getting him for 30 games to see what he has left would definately get me pumped. Again, as long as we don't trade away Jordan Hill/Gallinari (I think Douglas is debateable), I'm all for it.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
I would be down for any deal for T-Mac deal that doesn't A) hurt our salary cap situation for this coming summer or B) trade away Gallinari/Hill. I'm one of the few here who really thinks a deal for T-mac would make a lot of sense for us and I am definately rooting or it to happen. I'm always in favor of taking flyers on star-caliber players. I am a big believer in a change of scenery doing wonders in certain situations and I would not be shocked at all to see T-Mac play really well in New York. I have a hard time believing that he has nothing left in the tank and getting him for 30 games to see what he has left would definately get me pumped. Again, as long as we don't trade away Jordan Hill/Gallinari (I think Douglas is debateable), I'm all for it.

Amen. I mean, not like we have many options for PG anyway this summer. Having T-Mac (and hopefully LJ) handle the ball will basically plug a hole until we find a better option.

T-Mac and Lee can run the pick-n-roll this season. That'll be nice. PLUS, he's a possible piece next year. He'll take a reduced salary to remain in NY and play with a star (or two).

Basically, if all we have to lose is Al Harrington... why not?

Still, I guess I have to ask: would you prefer Tyrus Thomas instead? Have Thomas-Hill playing defense in the paint, blocking shots and getting rebounds?

mafra

Legend
no that 'has tobe be' others involved as tmac makes 23 and al makes 10m...

I'm aware of that. BUT, the added pieces wont mean much. Sure, NY will have to kick in Larry Hughes, but HOU will just cut him after the deal goes down.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
I personally don't understand a trade for T-mac that doesn't include, at least, Jefferies! I guess if we get him just for expiring contracts and no young players; I guess it is a wash as far as salary goes... If Cleveland get's Amare, I would start making some key trades because LaBron is not coming to NY!!!

keyser soze

Benchwarmer
I personally don't understand a trade for T-mac that doesn't include, at least, Jefferies! I guess if we get him just for expiring contracts and no young players; I guess it is a wash as far as salary goes... If Cleveland get's Amare, I would start making some key trades because LaBron is not coming to NY!!!

Let's put it this way. Who would you rather stare at for the remaining 30 games: Harrington or T-Mac???? I just don't see the DOWNSIDE to doing the deal. Harrington isn't going to be here next season anyway and we are never going to get more POTENTIAL for him than we would if we got T-Mac for him. And how do we know coming to New York (and playing for his last shot at a big contract) doesn't light a fire in T-Mac?? How do we know that he doesn't come here and average 20 points and 8 assists?? I just don't see the downside in finding out and getting rid of Harrington (a guy who has NO CHANCE of being here next season).

keyser soze

Benchwarmer
Still, I guess I have to ask: would you prefer Tyrus Thomas instead? Have Thomas-Hill playing defense in the paint, blocking shots and getting rebounds?

Eh, I think Tyrus Thomas is a little overrated on this board. Don't get me wrong, he's a very good interior defender but T-Mac obviously has much more potential upside. And to be fair, we are going to have to replace Harrington's scoring somehow to not totally be an embarrassment in the last 30 games. A Thomas-Hill frontcourt would be interesting for sure, but I'd still prefer T-Mac.

iSaYughh

Starter
It'd be a good, but possibly inconsequential trade.

I agree w/ Mafra that the key could be if we parlay t-mac into taking on the SG slot next year, enabling something like, to give us every edge in getting Lebron:

PG Lebron
SG T-Mac
SF Gallo
PF Lee
C Hill

6th Man: Chandler
Key Assets: Curry's Expiring

Douglas, 2nd, future 1st to unload Jeffries.

Looming Deals: Hill + 1st + Chandler (e.g.) for a bonefied C --> Marc Gasol, Okefor, e.g.

PG Lebron
SG T-Mac
SF Gallo
PF Lee
C Gasol/Okefor

If we don't re-sign T-Mac we simply fill in Chandler to SG, or Douglas, if he is traded, and make a go for Bosh vs. Lee, depending on salaries:

PG Lebron
SG Chandler
SF Gallo
PF Bosh/Lee
C Gasol/Okefor

Unreal sickness either way.

Unload Jeffries, sign Lee or Bosh, trade Hill + picks for a C. Lebron will come.

keyser soze

Benchwarmer
It'd be a good, but possibly inconsequential trade.

I agree w/ Mafra that the key could be if we parlay t-mac into taking on the SG slot next year, enabling something like, to give us every edge in getting Lebron:

PG Lebron
SG T-Mac
SF Gallo
PF Lee
C Hill

6th Man: Chandler
Key Assets: Curry's Expiring

Douglas, 2nd, future 1st to unload Jeffries.

Looming Deals: Hill + 1st + Chandler (e.g.) for a bonefied C --> Marc Gasol, Okefor, e.g.

PG Lebron
SG T-Mac
SF Gallo
PF Lee
C Gasol/Okefor

If we don't re-sign T-Mac we simply fill in Chandler to SG, or Douglas, if he is traded, and make a go for Bosh vs. Lee, depending on salaries:

PG Lebron
SG Chandler
SF Gallo
PF Bosh/Lee
C Gasol/Okefor

Unreal sickness either way.

Unload Jeffries, sign Lee or Bosh, trade Hill + picks for a C. Lebron will come.

I'm one of those people who thinks that the chances of Lebron leaving Cleveland are just about nill. Having said that, I'd sign up for that line-up in a new york minute. Lebron and Bosh. wow

mafra

Legend
As for this season, it's pretty much obvious we're out of the playoff hunt. Either way, getting to 33-35 wins would ease the pain come lttery time (when Utah gets our draft spot).

Besides, we have N8 as our 6th man, instant-offense off the bench.

Duhon is terrible. Bringing in T-Mac allows NY to play him at the point, sliding Duhon into the backup role (where he belongs).

Dumping Hughes allows Douglas to get minutes, as we'll see Hill get his time as well.

Tmac
Chandler
Gallo
Lee
Jeffries

N8, Hill, Douglas, Landry filling out the rotation.

Would I would love is seeing the deal expanded to inculde WAS.... Watch Jamison go somewhere, and we slide JJ to the Wizards!

Or maybe we send JJ to CHA for DJ? Please!

LJ4ptplay

Starter
All of this TMac talk stinks of desperation. We would be trading expiring contracts for an expiring contract, in other words, shuffling the chairs of the Titanic.

Also, TMac would be taking minutes and experience from Chandler and Gallo. This move is strictly about Donnie's and D'Antoni's delusion that this team can make the playoffs and that the Knicks getting to the playoffs will lure Lebron.

And anybody saying "if he's still got it, he can help us and maybe we resign him" knows nothing about Tmac's career. He could barely average many games a season when he was healthy. He's always been injured. His whole career he's been soft. And now, after coming off major knee surgery and not playing for over a year, he is suddenly going to play. SMH.

Is this what it has come to? TMac as our savior? Pathetic. I would much rather have Tyrus Thomas. At least he could potentially play and be a part of the future.

KBlack25

Starter
All of this TMac talk stinks of desperation. We would be trading expiring contracts for an expiring contract, in other words, shuffling the chairs of the Titanic.

Also, TMac would be taking minutes and experience from Chandler and Gallo. This move is strictly about Donnie's and D'Antoni's delusion that this team can make the playoffs and that the Knicks getting to the playoffs will lure Lebron.

And anybody saying "if he's still got it, he can help us and maybe we resign him" knows nothing about Tmac's career. He could barely average many games a season when he was healthy. He's always been injured. His whole career he's been soft. And now, after coming off major knee surgery and not playing for over a year, he is suddenly going to play. SMH.

Is this what it has come to? TMac as our savior? Pathetic. I would much rather have Tyrus Thomas. At least he could potentially play and be a part of the future.

Quoted for Truth...this is on point.

At this point, no trade has a point unless we can move Jefferies and/or Curry along with it. Maybe T-Mac will sell some tickets/get some people interested again, but to me it reeks of Steve Francis all over again.

mafra

Legend

I'm thinking that as well. Look at what made LJ successfull in CLE (DEFENSE). At least with Hill-Thomas front court, we have the potential to be a solid defensive unit. Toss in Douglas-Chandler (with LJ hopefully) and now we have a unit how might lockdown a team.

Anyway....

I think the desperation comes from the fact that D'ant has no options... nobody to run his offense.

I believe the thinking is: Jonathon Bender and T-Mac give the 2010 team warm, cheap, vet bodies to round out the roster. At the worst, they come off the bench and give the 2nd unit experience. At the best, they round out and give a MAX FREE AGENT a supporting cast, surrounding by the kids.

Bender might be able to be a 6th man. T-Mac might be able to handle the PG duties.

Right now, we have ZERO options at the point.

Still, I'm holding out hope we deal Harrington for Thomas ourselves!

Get me T-Mac and Thomas. Then we're talking.

KBlack25

Starter
I think the desperation comes from the fact that D'ant has no options... nobody to run his offense.

This could be true...I've stated before that we probably have the worst roster 1-12 and certainly 1-5 in the league...Someone posted on here that we never have the best player on the floor, ever. That's pretty pathetic.

But that's what happens when you enter rebuild mode, you have a bad roster and suffer...unfortunately we have no draft pick to make this season at least a bit hopeful at the end.

keyser soze

Benchwarmer

A) I don't see how getting McGrady would greatly limit either Chandler or Gallinari's minutes. McGrady would almost certainly play the point if he came here and both of those guys are forwards. What he potentially could limit is their shot attempts although that remains to be seen. (I would think that him playing the point would tend to limit his shot attempts . . . especially because feeding Gallinari will always be a priority in Dantoni's eyes)

B) No one is saying T-Mac would be a savior for the Knicks. But I could easily see him playing very well with his last shot at a big contract on the line. And I just happen to believe that sometimes a change of scenery changes the karma and feel of a player. Maybe he comes here and tears his ACL in the first week? Maybe he goes injury free for two seasons? Who knows?

c) Again, who would you rather stare at for the last 30 games of the season: Al Harrington or T-Mac??? T-Mac, at least in principle, COULD be part of our future. Harrington has ZERO chance to being a knick after this season.

Paul1355

All Star

NY gets T-Mac
CHI gets Al Harrington
HOU gets Tyrus Thomas

if we could use Tyrus Thomas as the "young player" then that would be clutch on Donnie's part but this looks like we'd have to trade Douglas or Hill unfortunetly.

This sucks...if Donnie has to trade Hill or douglas then this is BS....find a way to get rid of horrible jeffries and keep the young talent.

We have money, we have 2nd round picks, one 1st round...use them to get rid of jeffries not our young players!