The Anti-Okafor Thread

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
I honestly don't understand why anyone would lobby to somehow bring Emeka Okafor to NY...In every thread it seem, people discuss the possibility of bringing him to provide defensive help in the paint. I DONT UNDERSTAND IT

1. D'Antoni's system requires players to move up and down the court quickly, focuses on getting out quick on offense, and disregards defense. Well, Okafor isn't exactly a big man who can run the floor, nor is he even close to an offensive threat in the paint, NOR is he THAT great at defense (1.8 blocks wasn't even close to scratching the top tier shot blockers in the NBA last year...Howard averaged 2.9), and he doesn't even rebound any better than Lee does now!! I understand the rebuttal to this, as people might say: "WE NEED DEFENSE REGARDLESS OF D'ANTONI's SYSTEM" and I agree. However, we need to wait until an option comes around that isn't so much of a financial burden moving forward.

2. He is owed 11 million + dollars over the next 4 years!!! (not including this season) We NEED that cap flexibility moving forward, and it bugs me that people are discussing ways to piss it away already. It isn't criminal to stay below the cap for a few years (unless we get LeBron or Wade I want to stay below the cap until we have a player we ABSOLUTELY must get)!

3. HE IS NOT THAT GOOD

In my opinion, although there may not be any other immediate option, I think we should stay away from Okafor. People have had some awesome alternative ideas as to how to bring in some defense, but Okafor is NOT the answer. We should pay a cheap rental player to man the paint (like Camby) until we find a Center worth locking up long term.

Alej_Correa

Benchwarmer
never and im a 2010 and 2011 knicks fan
i actually agree with what you wrote
i just felt like making fun of you thats it

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
This thread hasnt been made already btw...people have discussed both sides of the okafor possibility, but not in an independent thread.

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
Never liked okafor, not even in the UCONN days...

He seemed to me like he was a player with a low ceiling (ability-wise.) A good role player at best.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer

He seemed to me like he was a player with a low ceiling (ability-wise.) A good role player at best.

Although I don't like Okafor for our team, I think he's a solid NBA starter. He averages 14 and 10 for his career and there really is no faulting that. I just don't think he fits in with our future plans, nor is her worth what his contract pays him.

NYKing

Rookie
If the negotiation that brings Okafor also bring a PG (Chris Paul or Darren Collison) accept the spot.

The Knicks desperately need a PG and a C defense.

A composition E.Curry+Chandler+Rodriguez+3M brought two of these players would be a big deal.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
If the negotiation that brings Okafor also bring a PG (Chris Paul or Darren Collison) accept the spot.

The Knicks desperately need a PG and a C defense.

A composition E.Curry+Chandler+Rodriguez+3M brought two of these players would be a big deal.
That would be awesome, but it would have to be Collison because the salaries wouldn't match if it was Paul being traded. Collison has to be one of the hottest trade commodities in the league right now considering his growth while filling for CP

NYKing

Rookie
That would be awesome, but it would have to be Collison because the salaries wouldn't match if it was Paul being traded. Collison has to be one of the hottest trade commodities in the league right now considering his growth while filling for CP

NOH has financial problems and Okafor has to get from 40M until 2013.

If they do provide Paul or Collison think that no one takes Okafor.

I think if the Knicks are under the CAP can take higher wages, or not??

Maybe Curry, Chandler, Rodriguez, 3M and perhaps pick in 2011 by CP3 and Okafor??

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I like Emeka Okafor's game. He's a good rebounder and shotblocker. You don't have to be perfect to play center. Nobody's perfect. Okafor is good enough to produce solid numbers. I would like to have him on the Knicks, but I doubt it would ever happen.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul

He doesn't have a high ceiling. But all we need is a guy that get 10 boards and block some shots, and he provides just that. And he's the type of guy you don't need to run plays for anyway.

I like Emeka Okafor's game. He's a good rebounder and shotblocker. You don't have to be perfect to play center. Nobody's perfect. Okafor is good enough to produce solid numbers. I would like to have him on the Knicks, but I doubt it would ever happen.

That is really all we need. A solid guy that can block shots.

I mean, who else can we get? Take a look at all the centers out there.

Amare- NO
Biedrins- Unless we get Morrow/Randolph.
Dalembert- Next...
Okur- Can he block?
Jefferson- A half court player all the way. the next best option, but unlikely Minny trades.
J. O'neal- ehhhh, Walsh does like former Indy players, but not the best option.
Haslem- same

We aren't getting Andray Blatche.

New Orleans desperately needs to shave off capspace. This gives them an expiring contract, what they really need. And we get a shotblocking center, what we need. We don't need a guy that run the floor, we don't need an offensive threat, we need DEFENSE. A guy that can come in and do his job defensively, thats all. More would be nice, but it isnt necessary.

Now, other than the Biedrins deal, someone please suggest something better than Curry for OKafor in which we get a shotblocking center.

Last edited:

SpursFan4Life

Benchwarmer
Word from NOLA when he got traded was all his teammates hated him. I've read that he's kind of a dick. The last thing the Knicks need is another locker room cancer.