To Lee or Not to Lee: Next Season's Outlook

BrianMan

Benchwarmer
That really is the question at the moment.

david%20lee.jpg

There is no denying that David Lee's performance all season long has given the Knicks a chance at winning any games, but in my opinion, I don't think he's needed, especially if he wants big money.

He has put up all-star like numbers, but remember that he was playing with a bunch of guys who couldn't get their game together. He's consistently an "okay" player, but outstanding and worth a spot when we have new talent and bigger names? Certainly not.

Without Lee on the court, the Knicks have a true, hard working and athletic Center who has proven himself night in and night out: Billy Walker.

At Point Forward we have two players who have definitely improved their game as of late and have put a ton of energy and hustle in: Wilson Chandler and Al Harrington.

At Point Guard we have Toney Douglas who has went from being a bench-warming prospect with no minutes to a team carrying starter, and he is still in his rookie season.

With the exception of an outstanding Shooting Guard, this team has hustle and heart like no other, and they can put up the points.

Without David Lee, and with a good SG, the Knicks would have greatly improved the team within the off season without spending too much.

Side note:

large_lebron-shaq-dance.jpg

Like they say, what goes on during the All Star game is how these players play every day with their teams.

I don't care for LeBron, and I don't really want to see him play every night unless he develops some class and sportsmanship. Dancing around during games, refusing to shake opponents hands, kicking waterbottles into stands, sliding on the court during the game for fun.....this is New York, you don't play here if you don't play respectfully. I don't care how many points he puts up, that's not how you represent our city. Stay where you are LeBron.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
There is no denying that David Lee's performance all season long has given the Knicks a chance at winning any games, but in my opinion, I don't think he's needed, especially if he wants big money.

He has put up all-star like numbers, but remember that he was playing with a bunch of guys who couldn't get their game together. He's consistently an "okay" player, but outstanding and worth a spot when we have new talent and bigger names? Certainly not.

He'll get offered some big money elsewhere no doubt. He's definitely more than just an OK player and he'll be offered upwards of $11m a year by a needy suitor. If he went to NJ to complete their front court with Lopez, he'll show what he's really capable of alongside a proper 5. I can see them offering him some decent money with their young core and upcoming high lottery pick.

Without Lee on the court, the Knicks have a true, hard working and athletic Center who has proven himself night in and night out: Billy Walker.

At Point Forward we have two players who have definitely improved their game as of late and have put a ton of energy and hustle in: Wilson Chandler and Al Harrington.

If Al Harrington is still on this team next year, I'll vomit.

If we run Bill Walker as our principal 5 next year NY will vomit in unison.

With the exception of an outstanding Shooting Guard, this team has hustle and heart like no other, and they can put up the points.

Hustle and heart comes courtesy of 4-5 of our players only. One thing I can happily say is that Gallo is playing some above average D. Douglas knows defence.... He eats up offense like John Candy would a deep fried steak...

He deserves that 1 spot for the rest of the year and hopefully impresses/improves enough to solidify that role.

There's been a lot of talk about Giddens defensive prowess as well. Haven't been able to watch the last couple games bar highlights. Walker puts energy in to his defence too.

Gimme the following 5 and bench next year and I'll be more than satisfied. Temporarily at least.

Biedrins - via GS (who I've slandered but am picking my realistic poison)
Bosh
Gay
Walker
Douglas

Sergio
Gallo
Randolph (GS)
Giddens
Morrow (GS)
And a decent 2nd round big.
Maybe McGrady to add a veteran to a very young team.

Lose Chandler in a trade with Curry to GS.

Paul1355

All Star
That really is the question at the moment.

david%20lee.jpg

At Point Guard we have Toney Douglas who has went from being a bench-warming prospect with no minutes to a team carrying starter, and he is still in his rookie season.

Without David Lee, and with a good SG, the Knicks would have greatly improved the team within the off season without spending too much.

Side note:

large_lebron-shaq-dance.jpg

Like they say, what goes on during the All Star game is how these players play every day with their teams.

I don't care for LeBron, and I don't really want to see him play every night unless he develops some class and sportsmanship. Dancing around during games, refusing to shake opponents hands, kicking waterbottles into stands, sliding on the court during the game for fun.....this is New York, you don't play here if you don't play respectfully. I don't care how many points he puts up, that's not how you represent our city. Stay where you are LeBron.

I dont think Donnie is going to let Lee go or else he would have traded him this year at the trade deadline.

Donnie is looking to keep Lee probably for 4 or 5 years at a constant rate of 9 to 10 million.

The only problem is that you dont want to resign Lee and find out that some great player opts out of a contract like Wade or possibly Lebron...and then your stuck because u could have gotten more....

this is a tough time for Donnie but an exciting one.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Keeping Lee wouldn't be a bad deal if we could get him for like 10 million a year. I personally think Lee for 10 million is a much better deal than getting Amare (since Amare is a worse rebounder and equally bad at defense, it's not worth the more money he's looking for), and if we can keep Lee and get a big impact player and still have some cap room for a defensive center, it'll be great.

LeBron = 16 mil
Lee = 10 mil
Defensive Center = MLE-level 6 mil
That's 32 million, which we have enough money for. If the cap goes up next year, odds are when Curry's contract comes off the books we can use the cap space from that to go after a player like Carmelo Anthony

NewYork 21 Knicks

Benchwarmer
i dont fully agree with what you said about david lee because in my mind i have confidence that when he puts the ball up it will probably go in, on the other hand every single thing you said about lebron i agree with, hes still a child when it comes to basketball.. yeah hes great but i really dont care hes not anyone i want to see in the blue and orange i really feel like are team is just missing a real deffensive center and they could possibly be sitting in that 4th or 5th seed this year because there are alot of close games that with a little deffense in the paint some things could have changed

dave2138

Rotation player
I dont think Donnie is going to let Lee go or else he would have traded him this year at the trade deadline.

Donnie is looking to keep Lee probably for 4 or 5 years at a constant rate of 9 to 10 million.

The only problem is that you dont want to resign Lee and find out that some great player opts out of a contract like Wade or possibly Lebron...and then your stuck because u could have gotten more....

this is a tough time for Donnie but an exciting one.

I think the only way David Lee is not a Knick next year is if a sign and trade works out with Toronto involving Bosh.

This would be the only explanation as to why they didn't trade Lee. They either want to keep him or use him to get Bosh. Works out for Bosh since he gets the most money from Toronto by having them give him the max contract and then trade him.

This has to be the #1 priority...resign Lee or resign Lee and trade him for Bosh. I feel like Lebron/Wade/Johnson won't consider the Knicks until that part is figured out.

knicksin60

Starter
I say, give Lee the contract of the century: Six years and 96 million dollars.He is too valuable to let go.He has been the reason why the Knicks aren't 7-62.He is the Lebron James of double-doubles and if he had Joe Johnson as his teammate, the Knicks would win an NBA championship.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
I say, give Lee the contract of the century: Six years and 96 million dollars.He is too valuable to let go.He has been the reason why the Knicks aren't 7-62.He is the Lebron James of double-doubles and if he had Joe Johnson as his teammate, the Knicks would win an NBA championship.

Again? :? No one is saying any of these things and you already said pretty much the same thing in my thread. No one is claiming Lee should get max money nor is his talent on par wth Lerbon James. What many of us have been saying is that he is very talented, homegrown and should be retained for a reasonable contract in order to leave room for a center. (I rather have Bosh but Lee and a center is certainly a nice 2nd option)

knicksin60

Starter
Again? :? No one is saying any of these things and you already said pretty much the same thing in my thread. No one is claiming Lee should get max money nor is his talent on par wth Lerbon James. What many of us have been saying is that he is very talented, homegrown and should be retained for a reasonable contract in order to leave room for a center. (I rather have Bosh but Lee and a center is certainly a nice 2nd option)

Why shouldn't Lee receive a max contract? He has been the greatest player on the Knicks since Allan Houston and has improved every year.All he needs to do this summer is look for ways to enhance his defensive game and he will be one of the best all-around players in the NBA.Could you imagine the impact that he would have on a team with a star like Joe Johnson if he played better defense? He has about 10 years left of good basketball in him and if Donnie Walsh lets him walk this summer it would be a bigger mistake than trading 3 first round draft picks to the Rockets.

Lets close this case right now

Lebron James will afford the knicks a meeting as a matter of business, media attention and a formality to Mike D who I know for a fact he respects, which points to why coach mike Browne dished dirt on Mike D earlier this year. When he sits down with Walsh, Dolan, Mike D and His agent, All four will write down on a piece of paper "who do you want us to go for to get you here" Lebron will say many names and not one of them will be David Lee.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Why shouldn't Lee receive a max contract? He has been the greatest player on the Knicks since Allan Houston and has improved every year.All he needs to do this summer is look for ways to enhance his defensive game and he will be one of the best all-around players in the NBA.Could you imagine the impact that he would have on a team with a star like Joe Johnson if he played better defense? He has about 10 years left of good basketball in him and if Donnie Walsh lets him walk this summer it would be a bigger mistake than trading 3 first round draft picks to the Rockets.

Forgive me but I took the two posts in question as sarcasm. I did not think you believed what you were saying about Lee. That said, max contracts should only be given to elite superstars who can takeover a game and command a double team on a nightly basis. Lee can't do that and deserves 9-11 mill a year...no more.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
I spotted this on another thread and originally thought it was a joke...but apparently not...

The fact you think Lee is worth a MAX CONTRACT is hilarious and ridiculous at the same time. You realize that 15/30 teams in the NBA would claim Dwayne Wade isn't worth max money, and he is a consensus top 3 player in the NBA. Pau Gasol just signed an extension for less than the max, and he is arguably the best PF in basketball.

David Lee is no better than the 4th or 5th option on a championship caliber team, and if you want to use the "he's all-star" argument to disprove that, well then see Ron Artest and Lamar Odom for all the proof you need (I'd take either over David Lee also for the record).

David Lee is a very good NBA player. He's probably worth anywhere from 9-12 million dollars, which is a very healthy payday in the NBA. However, building a team around David Lee is ludicrous. (See last 2 Knicks' seasons)

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
Forgive me but I took the two posts in question as sarcasm. I did not think you believed what you were saying about Lee. That said, max contracts should only be given to elite superstars who can takeover a game and command a double team on a nightly basis. Lee can't do that and deserves 9-11 mill a year...no more.
Lol I was thinking the exact same thing.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud

For your sake I hope you were just messing around. Last time we overpayed a really good player but not great player was Allan Houston. He's my favorite of all time, but look at how his contract clogged us up the gutter for the last 3 years. Lee isn't worth anywhere near what you say, but I still believe you have a hint of sarcasm in your posts so I'm not going to bash you outright...yett lol

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
For your sake I hope you were just messing around. Last time we overpayed a really good player but not great player was Allan Houston. He's my favorite of all time, but look at how his contract clogged us up the gutter for the last 3 years. Lee isn't worth anywhere near what you say, but I still believe you have a hint of sarcasm in your posts so I'm not going to bash you outright...yett lol
He has stated this more than once! The dude is actually serious! Lol

CoolClyde

Dlee-shus

I say Donnie offers DLEE $10M per year + $1-2M if Knicks make playoffs. we have yet to see the beast play his natural position, who's to say what he's really worth, and can attain at PF? He's gotten better year after year, and has not hit his ceiling yet.

I hope the Knicks keep him, but if losing him via trade for Bosh, and getting a 2nd Max F.A., I'm happy to say goodbye at the expense of upgrading team.