Walsh would rather keep Lee than overpay Bosh

LJ4ptplay

Starter
? The real question about the free-agent period that begins July 1 is this: If LeBron James stays in Cleveland and Dwyane Wade stays in Miami, what do all these teams do with their cap space? Teams like the Knicks, Nets, Bulls and others will have to decide if they?re going to overpay for a second-tier free agent, use the money to sign several second-tier players, or hold some back for the 2011 free-agent class, which could include Carmelo Anthony. Sources say that the Knicks? likely fallback option if they don?t get LeBron is Atlanta?s Joe Johnson ? but that strategy comes with a caveat. On one hand, Donnie Walsh is too smart to overpay for a player like Johnson who probably isn?t quite deserving of the max. Then again, the Hawks will pay Johnson the max to stay, so if anybody else wants him, the max is what it will take. Johnson said recently that he?d sacrifice to pair up with another elite player, meaning he?d take less than the max. But there?s no reason for him to take less under any other circumstance.

? For similar reasons, Walsh will have to decide whether Chris Bosh is worthy of a max deal if he strikes out on LeBron. Sources familiar with Walsh?s thinking are convinced that he does not regard Bosh as being on the same level as James and Wade, who will be the only two clear-cut max players on the market. ?That?s the fallacy with the max,? one prominent agent said. ?It allows you to buy Chris Bosh for the same price as LeBron James.? In fact, another person familiar with Walsh?s strategy said if it came down to deciding whether to keep David Lee or sign Bosh to a max deal, Walsh would choose Lee. ?There are questions about whether Bosh is the kind of player who can carry a team by himself,? the person said. ?He certainly hasn?t done it in Toronto.?

http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/20627942?source=rss_blogs_NBA

I agree. Bosh is not worth the max. Although, I don't think Lee is worth $11+ mil either.

If Lee accepts $10 mil, that leaves another $6+ mil to get another good player (Tyrus Thomas?, Anthony Morrow?). Which seems better to me than paying Bosh $16+ mil.

nyk_nyk

All Star
My first preference would definitely be Bosh over Lee but I wouldn't offer Bosh the max. The "max" should be reserved only for "max" players. While both Bosh and Lee are above average players, neither of them has propelled their teams to elite status or anywhere near it.

It's tough to decide how much Lee is worth.
Is he a product of a system that allows him more shot attempts? Yes
Is he surrounded by non-rebounders which in turn gives him more freedom and space to collect most of the rebounds? Yes
How much does his "double-doubles" contribute to wins and does that severely outweigh his defensive shortcomings? Not sure.

Same thing with Bosh. He's not the best big man in the league BUT he does get mentioned in the discussion among the best. The Raptors are a decent team but still not good enough to stand out in the weaker eastern conference. Bosh has been the best player on the team for years and has seen some success but not enough to categorize him as a "max" player. He is however more talented and developmentally ahead of Lee at this point.

If Lee can command $11 mil should bosh get $12-14 mil? Yes
If we were to keep Lee, it wouldn't disappoint me as long as we got a good big man to play alongside him. This team will not get better with a 6'9" non-defensive center.

iSaYughh

Starter
I think it depends, though I lean instinctively towards signing Lee vs. paying the extra (6?) for Bosh.

To me it depends on how much the saved $ can influence/go towards us signing and LOCKING UP a legit C, and/or going for a trade for the likes of Randolph & Co.

Maybe the X-Factor is how well Bosh could play C for our team....either way it's best for both he and Lee to be PF's.

pg Douglas/Serg
sg JJohnson
sf Gallo
pf Lee/TyrusT
c Randolph
6th Chandler

This would be a pretty big coup, imo. And it seems eminently doable.

Meh, I stillllll do really think we'll get Lebron. :gony:

Paul1355

All Star
I agree. Bosh is not worth the max. Although, I don't think Lee is worth $11+ mil either.

If Lee accepts $10 mil, that leaves another $6+ mil to get another good player (Tyrus Thomas?, Anthony Morrow?). Which seems better to me than paying Bosh $16+ mil.
your right..even though Bosh is better...when it coms down to Bosh getting 16 million and Lee getting 10 to 11 million then Lee has more value.

Lee improves every year and has been with this team already and Lee has basically the same numbers playing out of position.

I like Lee, hate his defense with a passion but he does need help with a big center besides him and needs to improve over the summer anyways.

I see us resigning Lee...I also envision Dwayne Wade in NY for some reason.

Kiyaman

Legend
Last night, I watched the 49-26 Utah Jazz vs the 26-47 Knicks......
the Jazz frontcourt bigmen actually WON the game at tip-off.
Although, every fan eyes is always on the Utah Jazz star PG-Deron Williams, the Jazz team winning success each season come from their bigmen work horses.

The Jazz is paying a little over $30M per season to their 3 frontcourt bigmen that gives the team an average of 25 rebounds per game (and 40 pts):

C-6.11 Okur (13 pts, 7 rbds, 1 blk) 29 mpg
F/C-6.9 Boozer (19 pts, 11 rbds, 3 ast) 34 mpg
PF-6.8 Milsap (11 pts, 7 rbds, 1 blk) 27 mpg

If Bosh or Lee go to the "next-team" it will be to a team where they become apart of a strong rotation of frontcourt players simular to that of the Jazz.

Both players are not interested in such a silly question like can they carry a team by themselves?
such things are foolishness at the options they will have in the 2010 FA market (Miami, Chicago, Nets).
They watched Boston signed Rasheed,
Cavs trade for Shaq & Jamison,
Orlando trade for Vince Carter & Barnes,
Mavs trade for Haywood & Butler,
and the Championship Lakers signed Ron Artest.

The Knicks would need both players (Bosh & Lee), plus another bigman that can come off the bench to give the team 12 pts, 7 rbds, 1 blk, per game, so the Knicks could become a .500 record team.
A player the Knicks dont have on their roster now (rookie Jordan Hill in his 2nd season). Plus..........
Headcoach Mike Dantoni 6 to 7 years of NBA experience has showed repeatedly that he is clueless of designing a bigman frontcourt rotation of this magnitude.

knicksin60

Starter
The NBA pretty much is the joke league.Anytime you have to wait many years to watch your team build a competitive frontcourt, the best thing to do is switch over and start following the NFL.

My first preference would definitely be Bosh over Lee but I wouldn't offer Bosh the max. The "max" should be reserved only for "max" players. While both Bosh and Lee are above average players, neither of them has propelled their teams to elite status or anywhere near it.

It's tough to decide how much Lee is worth.
Is he a product of a system that allows him more shot attempts? Yes
Is he surrounded by non-rebounders which in turn gives him more freedom and space to collect most of the rebounds? Yes
How much does his "double-doubles" contribute to wins and does that severely outweigh his defensive shortcomings? Not sure.

Same thing with Bosh. He's not the best big man in the league BUT he does get mentioned in the discussion among the best. The Raptors are a decent team but still not good enough to stand out in the weaker eastern conference. Bosh has been the best player on the team for years and has seen some success but not enough to categorize him as a "max" player. He is however more talented and developmentally ahead of Lee at this point.

If Lee can command $11 mil should bosh get $12-14 mil? Yes
If we were to keep Lee, it wouldn't disappoint me as long as we got a good big man to play alongside him. This team will not get better with a 6'9" non-defensive center.

Agree 100%...

Keep LEE and add a big body to help in C (Big Z ? if LBJ comes won't be a joke....)
:thumbsup:

p0nder

Starter
I think Bosh is not quite Max money material, but he is certainly close. Especially if you consider Lee to be worth 11+ Mill.

Bosh should command around 14 Mill from the Knicks (if we sign LBJ) and Max money from other potential destinations (Chicago, Miami). Competition to influence these players is going to be FIERCE. Teams want Lebron, Bosh, Wade and, to a lesser extent Joe Johnson, and they will pull out all the stops to get them.

I truely believe that Donnie will get a sign and trade deal done for Bosh, sending Lee to T.O. I expect Bosh to get somewhere in the 13-15 mill range if he is coming to the Knicks. I don't consider this is over paying him. Especially considering the current market and the downturn in the economy 13-15 mill is substantial. The extra 2-4 mill to sign Bosh over keeping Lee seems VERY worth it to me. We need a defensive presence in the paint as well as an elite scoring/rebounding option in the post and around the basket. Lee can not provide that, not at the C postion anyways.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
I am less concerned with the per year rate then signing players to 5-6 year deals. I would give Bosh 3 years 16 mil or Lee 11 for 3 years. We need to be conscious about the length of contracts rather than squeezing a mil here or there out of top tier talent.

I would only give a max length contract to superstar like Lebron or another player at a great value. (bosh at 11 mil for 5 years would be worth it)We need to keep our options open and not tie up our money in long term contracts unless the player is truly special.

knicksin60

Starter
I feel that if the Raptors don't make the playoffs this season and Lebron James re-signs with the Cavs, Chris Kabosh can sign a max contract elsewhere.I have little respect for players who laugh at the Knicks and who are also incapable of helping their teams clinch a playoff spot.

jpz17

Starter
Bosh is close to the max, but if all we can get is Bosh I really would like to just pay him the money. We need a good big man

KBlack25

Starter
This is good news...Honestly, most people around the league realize Bosh is not a #1 guy...he's not a Kobe, LeBron, Howard...on a championship caliber team Bosh is a #2...a high end #2, but a #2. You can win with a lower-end #1 guy (see: Joe Johnson) and a high end #2 guy (Chris Bosh)...but I'm not ready to shell out the big bucks for Bosh, I'd rather get Lee for slightly less...

Knicker23

Benchwarmer
Watching that last home game last night, and the interviews after the game - gave me the feeling it was DLees last game as a Knick at home..

Hadn't really heard Lee talk about the 'business side' of the game as he did, really seemed like while he would 'like to stay in NY' he'll def. be going where he's offered the best deal, which prob won't be from the Knicks...

Was funny he said something to the affect of "I’m just glad we won and got to experience one last Knick victory at home' and then caught himself real quick after a pause with a "if that's the way it turns out" .. I think he's thinking elsewhere himself, though as he said, all depends on offers, what other players do etc

Last edited: