Walsh and Mike D unsure on McGrady's future as a Knick.

DO YOU WANT T MAC BACK? WHY? WHY NOT?

• Yes. He's still T Mac. Things can only get better.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. There are better options at the vet minimum.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
OAKLAND, Calif. -- Though the final decision belongs to Knicks team president Donnie Walsh, coach Mike D'Antoni feels it would be prudent to move on without Tracy McGrady next season, according to team sources.
D'Antoni has seen McGrady labor for 21 games, averaging 8.5 points, 3.3 rebounds and 3.3 assists.
And last night McGrady, who said he experienced swelling in his left knee for the first time this season, was shut down by the medical staff at halftime after looking miserable -- 1-for-4, three points -- in the Knicks' 128-117 loss to the Golden State Warriors at Oracle Arena.
2901f49a5a0282eb362388889456f0a3-getty-90044182pa001_knicks_suns.jpg

AP
STILL HURTIN': Tracy McGrady drives against the Warriors' Reggie Williams during the Knicks' 128-117 loss last night. McGrady scored three points and sat out the second half because of his sore left knee.

David Lee (37 points, 20 rebounds, and 10 assists) had the first triple-double for the Knicks (26-49) since Latrell Sprewell had 28 points, 11 rebounds and 11 assists in a double overtime win over the Magic on Feb. 28, 2003. Lee also became the first player to have at least 30 points, 20 rebounds and 10 assists in a game since Kareem Abdul-Jabbar had 35, 20 and 12 against the Warriors on March 5, 1976.
The team source said D'Antoni feels McGrady has too far to go in his comeback to be counted on next season as an important piece of a rotation the coach expects to be massively improved.
If the Knicks sign a wing player with a maximum contract, either LeBron James or Joe Johnson, re-signing McGrady as a rotation player, even at the $1.9 million veteran minimum's salary, seems highly doubtful because of his injury risk.
D'Antoni denied he has ruled out McGrady for next season, saying it is too early to predict next season's roster with too many unknown factors because of their massive amount of cap space. D'Antoni acknowledged McGrady is not a priority, however. When McGrady joined the club in February, D'Antoni expected him to be their best player.
D'Antoni and Walsh have not discussed the final evaluation of McGrady, and the Knicks president said McGrady is on their radar for 2010-2011 at the right price.

84ed2c8ca3552bba34df75eed510f21b-getty-90044104nb018_rockets_knicks_nb001_rockets_knicks.jpg

"Maybe he can't be the guy, but I think he can be one of the top guys on a team," Walsh said earlier this week. "At least by what he's saying, [he can accept it], and I believe what he's saying. The way he's come into the locker room, everything's been very good."
McGrady still carries himself like a superstar and talks like a superstar, telling The Post Wednesday he will be a "great player" again. By contrast, McGrady also has said he would love to remain a Knick if they sign two max guys and be a role player. "It takes a while to get back. I agree with them, and I don't have it now," McGrady said, referring to the skeptics. "That's why it's a great sign for me to know I will be back to being explosive, to being the type of player I was. I came back quicker than a lot of people expected. It's a great sign to where I was, to where I am now, to how my body feels and knee feels."
When asked if it sounds like he's putting lots of pressure on himself, McGrady said, "I'm not putting pressure on myself. I know I'll be there again. I'll be a great player. I'll be able to have an influence on a team, on a game."
The Knicks have given McGrady everything he wants -- a chance to audition for the NBA. They even allowed his personal bodyguard, Harveaire Berrien, to travel with the club and be in their locker room -- a privilege reserved for the game's elite.
Knicks signed former Heat 7-foot center Earl Barron to a 10-day contract. Barron was on the D-League's Iowa Energy, and the Knicks need bodies, with Al Harrington the latest to go down.
Wilson Chandler, done for the season, said he will be available in July to meet with free agents if needed.
"I'll be around most of the summer," Chandler said. "Like everybody else, I'm waiting to see what happens. I look forward to a few players coming in and I'll be happy."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/not_big_on_mac_qGbcJbQ7Fymv3am3RACuPN#ixzz0k6VLM4BB

tiger0330

Legend
Not surprised, he really hasn't shown enough to want to keep him. I am sure of one thing, if he wants more than the vet min, he will not be a NY Knick.