Are we so sure Amare isn't worth a max deal?

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Let's be honest, he freaking crapped all over the Lakers tonight...42 points? I like David Lee and all, but I'm pretty sure David Lee wouldn't be able to do that.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
1. He has Steve Nash giving him these great looks. Who does David Lee have
2. It's one game.

Amare is worth 13 million at most. No max. Only players in the NBA worthy of the max are James, Bryant, Wade, and Paul. and Dwight.

iSaYughh

Starter
Maybe Lee wouldn't do that (much less likely), but it wouldn't be a total shock if he did; Amare will never sniff the epic-filthy trippledouble Lee put up and has approached many times, and is eminently capable of. Both have very different games, though, and Amare can be a dominant force.

Let's not forgot how gimp Amare came up in game(s) preceeding his pawnage of LA.

That said, just 1 game for each...And neither is worthy of max regardless IMO. Only 1 actually is so delusional to think he deserves and should get it, though...

AStout is a punk too. His smack against Odom was laughable. When getting outboarded by Steve Nash in big spots isn't a surprise he should talk more. :)

Max is so relative tho. And so many deride Bosh as being unworthy of it, who knows

Scribbles

Rotation player
0 assists

David Lee actually has a better all around game than Amare. In fact I'd take Lee over Amare if they come at the same cost.

Amare is trash. Highly extremely overrated.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
He's one dimensional though. If he has a good, one dimension night, he'll drop 30+. If the next night's a good one, 30+ again. But 0 assists will be a constant and unless he has other players contributing and or helping him get his points, he wont be successful in a team/winning sense.

If his scoring isn't working, neither is the rest of his game. That's been seen and criticised enough not to warrant a thread after one (out of a lot of) good games.

If Phoenix pay him the max with Steve Nash's inevitable ailing, then they'll suffer long term after Nash retires because Amar'e isn't worth the MAX and won't get the wins to warrant being a MAX contract player without Nash. Especially in the west.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
For the record, I agree - but I did feel like it would be a topic of discussion.

Let's certainly not pass Amare up - if he'd take a discount to play with the King (and Bosh doesn't), then he might not be a bad option.

He's a better scorer than Lee, more athletic, more of a physical presence. Lee, however, is a better rebounder and a better passer. Both are pretty bad on defense.

So...yeah, it kinda depends, I guess. You might never see David Lee drop 42, but David Lee will grab you two more rebounds per game on average than Amare will (Amare has tons of 4 rebound games and whatnot). Lee's also a much better passer (leads the league in assists for a center), better on team chemistry (whereas Amar'e has had his issues), and I firmly believe Lee can get better (and also doesn't have Amar'e's injury history).

So...yes, I guess Lee is still the better player in my mind overall. Amare's a better scorer, but that doesn't offset the fact that Lee is better than him in, well, everything else. It'd be one thing if Amare played defense - but, like Lee, he doesn't really.

LOIOSH30

Benchwarmer
A guy with Amares' size and atheletic ability should rebound better...and play defense better...If he goes to any team without an elite point guard, he'll be the worse free agent signing this summer. He'll get the max, but he shouldn't...I just hope he doesn't get it from the Knicks.

goldenchild1688

Benchwarmer
my opinion isnt based on a over reaction to one playoff game.

you dont evalute a guys performance on one game. which is why many on here dont view him as a max player.

he doesnt give a %100 every night. he is a inconsistent rebounder and a defensive liability. he is a telented scorer but he beneifits greatly from playing with a pg like steve nash. hes someone id pay around 10-11 mill a yr but not a max contract

its funny how this thread pops up but note it couldnt be made until 3 gm in

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
my opinion isnt based on a over reaction to one playoff game.

you dont evalute a guys performance on one game. which is why many on here dont view him as a max player.

he doesnt give a %100 every night. he is a inconsistent rebounder and a defensive liability. he is a telented scorer but he beneifits greatly from playing with a pg like steve nash. hes someone id pay around 10-11 mill a yr but not a max contract

its funny how this thread pops up but note it couldnt be made until 3 gm in
AGREED! AGREED AGREED!

There is a simple answer to this thread's question:

NO!!!!!!!!!

He's worth a max around the league due to his NAME recognition, but he better not get a max from the Knicks!

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I was just thinking about it for a second.

If LeBron James says "I want to play with Amare"...do we sign him to a max deal then? If we're willing to give Bosh a max deal, are we willing to give Amare one? It's a tough call.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
Did you forget about the goose eggs he laid in the first two games lol? Has STAT ever gone for 37 pts 20 reb and 10 ast? I think not. I'd much rather have Lee than STAT, especially since STAT will get the max from someone.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Let's be honest, he freaking crapped all over the Lakers tonight...42 points? I like David Lee and all, but I'm pretty sure David Lee wouldn't be able to do that.

I agree. Stoudemire is better than Lee.

I'm not just saying that because of his 42 point effort.
Stoudemire has dropped 40 on Tim Duncan, on more than one occasion, in the post season. I don't think Lee could ever drop 40 points in the playoffs, let alone on great players of Duncan and Gasol's caliber.

With that being said, neither Lee nor Stoudemire are worth max contracts. Stoudemire gets injured too often, and he has no defense. Lee has no defense, and he lacks a post up game.

I agree. Stoudemire is better than Lee.

I'm not just saying that because of his 42 point effort.
Stoudemire has dropped 40 on Tim Duncan, on more than one occasion, in the post season. I don't think Lee could ever drop 40 points in the playoffs, let alone on great players of Duncan and Gasol's caliber.

With that being said, neither Lee nor Stoudemire are worth max contracts. Stoudemire gets injured too often, and he has no defense. Lee has no defense, and he lacks a post up game.

Amare really doesn't have a post up game either, everything he gets comes off of the pick and roll or from facing up. You will never see him take a hook shot or catch it in the post and drop step on anyone.

nk11

Benchwarmer
id say a few years ago stat was def worth the max, bc he was putting up close to dominant numbers at a much younger age. now hes not.

just the fact that hes regressed so much (partly cuz of injuries) and the fact that he doesnt go half as hard as he should is reason enough not to give him the max.

regardless hes always gonna be better than lee because of his athleticism and potential, the effort and desire would make him a superstar in the league.

XH20X

Rookie
Ok, for all you Amar'e lovers out there, Amar'e has proved absolutely nothing except that he a ball hog. Dlee is so much better than Amar'e. Remember this season, when Dlee had a triple double against the GS Warriors of 37 points, 20 rebounds and 10 assist, I doubt Amar'e will ever do that in his life time. Plus Dlee got those stats by his own without any help. I'd just think of Amar'e as a younger and upgrade Al Harrington. I bet if Dlee plays along side Steve Nash he would score 30 every night. There is no way in hell Amar'e will get max, at least not from the Knicks.

We can only hope. I think he has proved that he is worth a max deal to someone because he has been playing great lately, I just hope it's not Donnie Walsh.

moneyg

Starter
maybe a deal starting at 13-14 mil but not 16+. id rather have lee at 9 or 10 mil. it would interesting to see amare without nash, just like its been nice seeing d'antoni without nash

amare without nash = d'antoni without nash

lee with nash > amare without nash