Possibly Picking in the First Round???

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
This is what was on the rumor mill today from NBA insider.

After last Tuesday night's draft lottery, the Nets nabbed the No. 3 pick, while the Timberwolves were granted the No. 4 pick.

But according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports, there are two teams looking to trade up into those spots: "Houston and Portland are two teams that will be working No. 3 Nets and No. 4 Wolves hard to move up in the draft, league sources say."

Both Portland and Houston have some younger chips to trade in an effort to move up, and could be targeting Derrick Favors, DeMarcus Cousins or Wesley Johnson, all guys that project in the 3-5 spots right after John Wall and Evan Turner.

But according to Steve Kyler of HOOPSWORLD, the Rockets aren't looking to give up any meaningful assets.

He writes: "Word is the Rockets are in the market for a top 10 selection and would pay cash to move up. It is unlikely the Rockets give up meaningful assets to move up but they are in the market."

Kyler also adds that the Knicks, Bobcats and Mavericks are "all in the market for additional draft assets."

The Grizzlies own three first-round picks, so it's possible the Knicks -- who's first-round pick is owned by the Jazz -- could look to snatch one of them.
Do we try and trade for the 13th pick? Possibly buy it from the Grizz? Thoughts?

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
Wouldnt mind it but what do we have to offer?
Money! The best asset after all right? Memphis is desperate for cash to pay Rudy Gay and retain him. The money could go toward resigning him and locking him up long term. Do the Grizz even need a lottery pick? Is there room for playing time with Conley, Mayo, Gay, Randolph and Gasol?

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
Money! The best asset after all right? Memphis is desperate for cash to pay Rudy Gay and retain him. The money could go toward resigning him and locking him up long term. Do the Grizz even need a lottery pick? Is there room for playing time with Conley, Mayo, Gay, Randolph and Gasol?

Money is one, I'm guessing they'd want a little more. But if we could nab the 13th pick that would be huge. I mean HUGE. We could find a servicable Center at that spot. Idk about PG's. Other than Wall there aren't many options. But still let's hope this happens.

Paul1355

All Star
This is what was on the rumor mill today from NBA insider.

Do we try and trade for the 13th pick? Possibly buy it from the Grizz? Thoughts?
I 100% guarantee that Walsh will buy a first round pick....look for the Knicks to buy either the Hawks 24th pick, one of the Grizzlies picks, or one of the Timberwolves picks.

New New York

Quiet Storm

But....a first rounder immediatley eats up cap. Getting a first rounder for sure spells the end for Sergio and likely Walker too. I think they are both about as good as any mid 1st rounder in this years draft.....but of course there is always a possibility of landing a steal......as well as a bust!

I love the idea any other year we are left without a pick, but this year it may not be worth it!

Now, I wouldnt mind us buying the pick(s) and then packaging them for a pick next year to give us two in 2011 draft. They could come in handy when packaging Curry's expiring deal

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
The thing is aren't rookie contracts exempt from the salary cap?

If we sign a free agent first before we actually sign our rookies to contracts, the rookie contracts are exempt from the salary cap, are they not?

That would make it a no brainer for us to buy some picks. If we could draft a player like Eric Bledsoe with a late first rounder that'd be an absolute steal

LJ4ptplay

Starter

I don't see the Grizz selling their lottery pick for only cash. They would probably want something else in return...and we don't have it.

I see us buying either the 23rd pick from the T-wolves, 24th pick from the Hawks or the 25th pick from the Grizz.

This could probably get us Bledsoe. But is he really necessary with Douglas? Maybe a defensive presence in the paint like Solomon Alabi? Kevin Seraphin?

The thing is aren't rookie contracts exempt from the salary cap?

If we sign a free agent first before we actually sign our rookies to contracts, the rookie contracts are exempt from the salary cap, are they not?

That would make it a no brainer for us to buy some picks. If we could draft a player like Eric Bledsoe with a late first rounder that'd be an absolute steal

1st round picks are guaranteed money and DO count against the cap. 2nd round picks do not. It may be better for us to just draft with our 2nd round picks. Unless we are sure we can find a steal in the late first round.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
First RoPicks and Salary Cap

A first round pick is included in the salary cap at the rookie scale amount for that pick, whether or not the pick is signed.

We could buy or trade for rights to a particular pick after the free agent dust has settled or, pre-draft, we could trade one of our few assets for a pick. I think Chandler is due about $2M. trading him for a pick might even increase cap space. Who would have to be available to make such a trade worthwhile? Eric Bledsoe? He could be a very good NBA player. And there are a couple of promising centers who might be available in the teens.

KNICKMATIC809

Benchwarmer
this years draft is full of talent .... even all the way to the 2nd round ... walsh has stated that he will trade up to get a pick and he said hes looking for nba ready players ... so i thought he will buy a pick if it eats up cap ...