Erick Dampier?

dave2138

Rotation player
Probably not thread worthy, but I've never heard his name mentioned here as a possible center next year. Its pretty much guaranteed that Dallas or whatever team trades for him will decline his 13 mil option for 2010 making him a free agent.

At 35 years old, he probably can be had at a 1 year deal at a reasonable price.

What does everyone think? In my opinion it beats trading for bad contracts like Biedrins or Okafor. Less risk, and still get an above average defensive center.

Personally I'd like to trade Gallinari + Curry for cap space, then sign Lebron, Bosh, Lee. Still have money left over to sign Dampier to a few mil/1 year. You can somehow work out Bosh 35+ min, Lee 35+ min, Dampier 20+ min/game.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Probably not thread worthy, but I've never heard his name mentioned here as a possible center next year. Its pretty much guaranteed that Dallas or whatever team trades for him will decline his 13 mil option for 2010 making him a free agent.

What does everyone think? In my opinion it beats trading for bad contracts like Biedrins or Okafor. Less risk, and still get an above average defensive center.

Personally I'd like to trade Gallinari + Curry for cap space, then sign Lebron, Bosh, Lee. Still have money left over to sign Dampier to a few mil/1 year. You can somehow work out Bosh 35+ min, Lee 35+ min, Dampier 20+ min/game.

Not really keen on bringing in Dampier with the intentions of playing him (remember he was a key target of Isiah's at one time and just for that he should not be on our team!)

But I have made the same suggestion with trading Gallo and Curry for picks to a team like Minny who has the cap space or even for a contract like Dampier's.

The beauty of that would be us being able to Sign To Max FAs (Lets just say Lebron and Bosh), Lee and a PG (lets just say Felton)

Felton
Wilson or Walker
Lebron
Lee
Bosh

Needless to say this squad gets a now later than 2012

dave2138

Rotation player
nah I doubt we can trade for Dampier. Dallas will probably trade him in a sign/trade deal with another team. Which makes them legit competition I think for someone like Rudy Gay. Also competition for Okafor too... Dampier is much more valuable than Curry. Dallas can easily screw us over.

However, after that Dampier will be a FA and should come cheap I think.

I didn't see you were also a supporter of Gallo + Curry for picks. I personally would love it if we could get the 16th pick from Minnesota for Gallo + Curry or someone like Johnny Flynn.

dave2138

Rotation player
Dampier's contract is non guaranteed. The Mavs have until July 11th or so to decide whether or not to pick up the 2010/2011 13 mil option. Obviously they won't do that, making him a free agent.

You can see how much trade value that will have knowing that the Mavs can trade Dampier from July 1-13 worth 13 mil to a team that can just decide not to pick up his option from 2010/2011.

Maybe someone can explain this better than me or provide a link. But yeah, Dampier has much more value than Curry for this reason alone.

dave2138

Rotation player
http://www.thetwomangame.com/2010/04/dreams-of-things-to-come-a-look-ahead-to-2010-free-agency/

"The reason for that is Erick Dampier. Due to the unique performance-related incentives of Dampier?s contract, he can be traded this off-season and then his entire 2010-2011 salary can be subsequently voided. That makes him an invaluable piece in a potential sign-and-trade, supposing Mark Cuban and the Mavs can entice one of this summer?s bigger talents and manage to convince a rival GM to play ball."

Paul1355

All Star

IDK i mean Dampier is still a decent rebounder which he was always known for....but we need to re-do this whole team to be athletic, hustling, and fast, and dampier is slow and old and would be like Elton Brand slowing up the 76ers.

If there is no choice he can have him as a last option, but many other people are better than him and available

dave2138

Rotation player
Right, I know he's nothing more than a 20 min/game back up center. I just like him because he is a very low risk move and he can be had at probably a 1 year deal at only a few mil.

I would feel more comfortable going with Lee or Bosh at center knowing they have a veteran back up center whos biggest asset is his defense.

Also there may be better available, but those choices are more expensive and have to guarantee longer contracts. Dampier would be a smart move in my opinion, and use the money you save by signing him as a FA and use it on other needs.

KNICKMATIC809

Benchwarmer

dude r u serious trade gallinari .... u must be bugging ... he will shine with a allstar around him .. well that wont happen being that's mike d antoni boy ...a chandler is a more possible scenario......

dave2138

Rotation player
nah I don't like bugs. It probably won't happen, but I think the only way they are getting rid of Curry is if Gallinari is involved in the trade. Minnesota makes the most sense to me and we could get back the #16 pick (Xavier Henry or Epke Udoh) or Johnny Flynn.

Making that trade allows them to resign Lee + 2 other max FA. So comes down to who would you rather want - 2 max FA + Gallinari or 2 max FA + Lee.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
You don't think they could dump Curry without trading Gallinari?

The New Orleans Hornets would LOVE to swap Emeka Okafor and Eddy Curry...

smokes

Huge Member
If we were gonna trade Gallo we should do it with the Wolves for their #4 pick. Draft Cousins and then have:

Douglas
LBJ
Chandler
Bosh
Cousins

beast of the east!

New New York

Quiet Storm
nah I don't like bugs. It probably won't happen, but I think the only way they are getting rid of Curry is if Gallinari is involved in the trade. Minnesota makes the most sense to me and we could get back the #16 pick (Xavier Henry or Epke Udoh) or Johnny Flynn.

Making that trade allows them to resign Lee + 2 other max FA. So comes down to who would you rather want - 2 max FA + Gallinari or 2 max FA + Lee.

No actually trading Gallo and Curry frees up 14 million more, so if the cap comes in at 56 million then we would have 53 million in cap!

Meaning we could sign Lee for 10 leaving us w/ 43, sign two Max Guys, leaving us w/ 11 and then bring in Felton for 8 and use the remaining to resign Walker and Sergio

So what it comes down to is which is better Gallo and Two Max FA's....or Lee 2 max guys, Felton and a bench consisting of Walker,Douglas and Sergio

Blake (about as much as we can afford after two max)
Wilson
LBJ
Gallo
Bosh

Top 3 team in the league for sure

Felton
Chandler
LBJ
Lee
Bosh

Dynasty!

a bit of a no-brainer to me!

dave2138

Rotation player
You don't think they could dump Curry without trading Gallinari?

The New Orleans Hornets would LOVE to swap Emeka Okafor and Eddy Curry...

Is there proof to that? I feel like this was one guy's idea and everyone jumped on it because the Hornets have financial issues. I don't see anyway this will happen unless we throw in players of value. With a healthy Chris Paul, they are still a playoff contender. Having a good team will draw more fans, make the team more money. Trading Okafor for nothing won't solve anything.

New New York

Quiet Storm
If we were gonna trade Gallo we should do it with the Wolves for their #4 pick. Draft Cousins and then have:

Douglas
LBJ
Chandler
Bosh
Cousins

beast of the east!

Maybe in a straight up trade

But No way they give us that pick if we are giving them Curry

The incentive for us is getting rid of Curry's contract!

Donnie I hope has considered this trade, because it makes sense for both teams. Minny has a nice chunck of change in cap (21 million to be exact) but what are the chances of them landing a max or even second tier player like Boozer?

Not likely right? Gallo would be a major acqusition for them, plus they would still have 7 million left. Curry is only on the books for one season so it doesnt really kill them to take him on. Plus his contract becomes a trade chip at the deadline

So really there is no need to include the #4, because this could pay off way more than any pick in the draft could!

smokes

Huge Member
Maybe in a straight up trade

But No way they give us that pick if we are giving them Curry

The incentive for us is getting rid of Curry's contract!

Donnie I hope has considered this trade, because it makes sense for both teams. Minny has a nice chunck of change in cap (21 million to be exact) but what are the chances of them landing a max or even second tier player like Boozer?

Not likely right? Gallo would be a major acqusition for them, plus they would still have 7 million left. Curry is only on the books for one season so it doesnt really kill them to take him on. Plus his contract becomes a trade chip at the deadline

So really there is no need to include the #4, because this could pay off way more than any pick in the draft could!

Considered what trade? Who are we getting back from Minny if we give them Gallo and Curry?

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Is there proof to that? I feel like this was one guy's idea and everyone jumped on it because the Hornets have financial issues. I don't see anyway this will happen unless we throw in players of value. With a healthy Chris Paul, they are still a playoff contender. Having a good team will draw more fans, make the team more money. Trading Okafor for nothing won't solve anything.

Gives them so much more cap space in the long run.

Emeka Okafor's contract is that bad. They can draft Hassan Whiteside or Cole Aldrich with their pick at #11 and then dump Okafor for Curry's expiring contract.

This saves them money because first of all they can draft a big man in the draft (thus eliminating the need for Okafor), and second of all they get a lot more flexibility in the long run by taking 12 million dollars off their payroll for the next 4 years. This would give them a chance to go after some free agents next year and the year after that, whereas right now they're pretty much stuck since Okafor's contract is that big.

NYKLiFER

Benchwarmer
For Real

dude r u serious trade gallinari .... u must be bugging ... he will shine with a allstar around him .. well that wont happen being that's mike d antoni boy ...a chandler is a more possible scenario......

I Co Sign. Some of you hear are just plain stupid...do any of you actually watch the games wtf SMH (Trade Gallo) Morons I say stop the madness....

NYKLiFER

Benchwarmer
Are You Serious ????????

i dont care flag me toons or whoever funs this site but, this guy is ****ing stupid. HEY MORON CURRY IS VALUBLE BECAUSE HE IS AN EXPIRING CONTRACT WE DO NOT NEED TO PACKAGE HIM WITH ANYONE UNLESS WE ARE GETTING A CHRIS PAUL CP3 TYPE AH PLAYER.......

I LIKE LEE BUT I RATHER HAVE GALLO ON MY TEAM SHIT BARRON PROVED IN 10DAYS THAT IN THIS SYSTEM ANYONE WITH SIZE CAN GET A DBL DBL LEE DONT HAVE NO D AND WILL BE A BACK UP ON MOST WINNING TEAMS IF NOT ALL.

KNICKMATIC809

Benchwarmer
I Co Sign. Some of you hear are just plain stupid...do any of you actually watch the games wtf SMH (Trade Gallo) Morons I say stop the madness....

that's wat was goin tru my mind when i saw curry plus gallo i was like wtf .... i understand curry plus chandler ... that's more reasonable ... minny dont need no1 in our roster plus dey are under the cap ... a better scenario would be to the hornets , they r over the cap