Worst Case FA Scenario

I, myself, am still part of the camp that thinks (hopes, believes.. whatever) that Lebron is going to come to New York. I will admit that my optimism does sometimes blind me to looking at scenarios that do not involve King James and his undetermined partner in crime taking over the NBA in orange and blue.

As time has passed, my subconscious has allowed me to think a little more about what might happen if Lebron does not choose New York, and I have come to the conclusion that it might not be so bad.

I find it highly unlikely that we walk away from this free agency period having not added two major pieces, even if they are not Lebron, Bosh, or DWade.

Of the All-Star Caliber Players who we will be Free Agents this leaves:

C: Yao Ming, Brendan Haywood (?able)

PF's: Dirk Nowitzki, Amare Stoudemire, Carlos Boozer and of course David Lee

SF: Rudy Gay

SG's: Joe Johnson

Even if we were to end up signing a combo Joe Johnson and Carlos Boozer (which I look at as the worst possible outcome this offseason, given that we sign two large contract players) by my estimation each player will end up getting around 13 million which would still give us somewhere around 7 million left in flexibility to make a sign and trade if we so choose.

I don't like Joe Johnson because I don't want to give him the number of years/money he wants at the age he is at already and I think Wilson can play the 2 for us if need be. I feel the same way about Boozer contractually, and would much rather bring Lee back instead.

After reflecting on that possibility though, the conclusion I came to was that it really isn't so bad. I think a 3-some of Johnson, Gallo and Boozer would still be pretty formidable in the East and put our franchise in the right direction, especially considering that we would still have cap flexibility on top of Curry's expiring contract and Chandler as a trade chip.

My conclusion, not getting Lebron is not the end of the world.

What are your thoughts? Worst-case scenarios?

moneyg

Starter
worst case... hmmm. if we dont get bosh, i think we have no choice but to resign lee to man the pf position. amare is ok but i need to see him play without steve nash in order to validate his play, which i not willin to find out on the knicks. boozer, will work only if we change our coach. lee is durable seldom injured and will be cheaper. as far as the missing out on lebron and wade, i think the next best option would be gay. i like jj but gay is younger and has more upside. if we spend about 22 mil on both (lee 10 gay, 12) versus 33 mil on lebron and bosh we can still get another good player or two with the balance:smokin:

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
They both think they are max or close to max players. Someone will pay them more than 13 million and we should pray it's not the Knicks.

iSaYughh

Starter
Lee, TyrusThomas, JJ. Not the worst. We preserve and let our McFlurry melt.

Douglas-Serg
JJ-Walker
Gallo-Chandler
Lee
Tyrus-Barron.

Ride out 2011 but could be a sleeper. That's an interesting lineup and we could see what D'Antoni is really made of...

Develop the youth and let the the team gel with good coaching.

Target Parker/Melo.

Lee, Tyrus, Barron is a pretty slick backcourt actually and should suit D'Antoni.