Could Toney Parker Be an MVP in Dantoni's offense?

New New York

Quiet Storm
Look I was a huge Nash fan before he joined The Suns! I liked his game a lot, but it took on a whole other level when he became PG in Mike Dantoni's seven seconds or less offense!

And really to me Toney Parker is better now then Nash was as a Maverick! Now granted Nash had been and will always be a better shooter, but, Nash has never played in a Finals let alone been Finals MVP! Not to mention Nash was two years older when he joined The Suns than Parker would be if he came to NY now.

so lets just pretend we made a trade for him. The package that financially makes the most sense would be Danillo Gallanari,Douglas and Curry for Parker and Malik Hairston (throw in just to make the numbers work).

This I know is not popular amongst Gallo fans (I'm actually one too) but if this trade goes down it would have to include Gallo!

But, lets not focus on my proposed trade right now and argue it, but lets just pretend it actually went down and we had no choice but to just accept it (like any othe GM move).

So we make this trade on draft night and it actually gives us a million more in cap.

Which instantly makes NY a little more appealing.....We re-sign David Lee for 9 million.

We are now left with 30 million in cap with two All Stars on the roster. We get Bosh for 16 million leaving 14 million which goes to Joe Johnson.

Starting 5

Parker
Johnson
Wilson
Lee
Bosh

You could certainley argue that this is a more talented starting 5 than The Suns teams Dantoni coached ever had!....yes I realize that if we did make this trade that we then these would be the only five players on the roster, but I don't think we would be hard pressed to get some really sevicable league minimum players to fill out the roster.

Again the shooting element is what made Nash so dangerous and Toney does not have that, but Parker is much quicker (key in a seven seconds or less offense) and is a better defender (not really saying much), so he does have some very nice strengths too that even out Nash's strengths over him.

I'm just saying, Nash went from a top 10 PG to an MVP in this offense, and Parker is certainly a top 10, so you have to assume.....

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I wondered about that actually. Not that he'd be MVP cos I can't see that happening with the likes of James, Kobe, Wade, Durant around.

But I did wonder about what his numbers could be like running the point in a high octane offense as one of the leagues quickest players.

25+ PPG?
6-7 APG?
a pick or 2?

As finals MVP, he destroyed Mo Williams and shot .568% from the floor with 25+ppg. His inside scoring was unbelievable. His paint scoring is just ridiculous and that running one hander is as deadly as sex with Magic Johnson. The guy's a machine - but is his prime ahead or behind him?

Again the shooting element is what made Nash so dangerous and Toney does not have that, but Parker is much quicker (key in a seven seconds or less offense) and is a better defender (not really saying much), so he does have some very nice strengths too that even out Nash's strengths over him.

Comparing him to Nash at any stage in their careers is a bit awkward because their games are so different. Nash is the better shooter, passer, handler and facilitator. Parker is quicker, a more versatile scorer and leads breaks looking to score more than create, but can create better off a pass...

Tough one to call.

He's played on a team with exemplary team defence though. I'd love to see him bring that to the Knicks.

I still have 2 qualms with signing Parker:
1. the injuries - finger, hip (not too serious) and a recurring ankle issue - I know what that's like. None are massive issues, but is he durable? He's skipping the worlds.

2. what are we gonna have to give up for him? And once we give something up, what guarantee is there that we can add the right pieces with Lee or Gallo gone?

This, however is a very inspiring mix of Parker at his best

New New York

Quiet Storm
Tony Parker? MVP? D'antoni's Offense? What offense? Calm down.

Sorry, I assumed most people on this site followed basketball....years ago Mike Dantoni orchestrated a famos offense known as Seven Seconds or Less (there even was a book about it).

Toney Parker is a professional basketball player who it is rumored that The Knicks (the team this website is primarily focused on) is pursuing.

Now When Mike Dantoni (he coaches The Knicks) ran this offense in Phoenix he had a really good PG (that is the player who brings up the ball) doing it. Toney Parker is a PG too.

Still with me?.....so the question that I am posing is, could Parker who like Nash was a PG (remember that is the person who runs the offense) have just as much success doing it?

OH....The MVP it the award that is handed out by the N-B-A to the player who played the best all season long which Nash won a couple times in Dantoni's offense.

Now do you get it?

MSGhobo247

Rotation player
Wait.... what's wrong with Duhon?!

haha just playin.... Parker would do great in this system but he better not start jacking up 3's cause ever1 else is doing it. That's not his game but as long as he keeps his defender honest I'm all for it.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Sorry, I assumed most people on this site followed basketball....years ago Mike Dantoni orchestrated a famos offense known as Seven Seconds or Less (there even was a book about it).

Toney Parker is a professional basketball player who it is rumored that The Knicks (the team this website is primarily focused on) is pursuing.

Now When Mike Dantoni (he coaches The Knicks) ran this offense in Phoenix he had a really good PG (that is the player who brings up the ball) doing it. Toney Parker is a PG too.

Still with me?.....so the question that I am posing is, could Parker who like Nash was a PG (remember that is the person who runs the offense) have just as much success doing it?

OH....The MVP it the award that is handed out by the N-B-A to the player who played the best all season long which Nash won a couple times in Dantoni's offense.

Now do you get it?

LOL. This post made me laugh. I think Parker would be special in this system and I would love to acquire him now that I know he is only 28. Heck I would pick up Amare too if we could get an elite PG.

KnicksFan112

Benchwarmer
Tony Parker is a scoring PG. What made D'Antoni system work so well IMO was Steve Nash's ability to push the ball up and set up his teammates with his amazin court vision. I don't think Parker could accomplish this.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Tony Parker is a scoring PG. What made D'Antoni system work so well IMO was Steve Nash's ability to push the ball up and set up his teammates with his amazin court vision. I don't think Parker could accomplish this.

Parker can distribute and penetrate so he will fit in quite nicely. Most if his scoring is in the paint after breaking down the D.

moneyg

Starter
...years ago Mike Dantoni orchestrated a famos offense known as Seven Seconds or Less (there even was a book about it).

please with this seven second or less crap... Nash himself recently during the playoffs called O'antoni's 7 seconds or less offense "a MYTH or FANTASY or WHATEVER YOU WANT TO CALL IT"..

everybody knows that nash is the main piece in runnin that offense and he is the reason why it was sucessfull. Parker can not accomplish.. if you are not a smart player and skilled at passing.. with good court vision.. 7 seconds or less turn into a chuck a thon. but our coach claims you dont need a pg to run it.. that it can be ran from the sg or sf position.... let see. so i guess if we dont get a pg like nash... we can look for a excellent passing sg or sf...:smokin:

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
please with this seven second or less crap... Nash himself recently during the playoffs called O'antoni's 7 seconds or less offense "a MYTH or FANTASY or WHATEVER YOU WANT TO CALL IT"..

everybody knows that nash is the main piece in runnin that offense and he is the reason why it was sucessfull. Parker can not accomplish.. if you are not a smart player and skilled at passing.. with good court vision.. 7 seconds or less turn into a chuck a thon. but our coach claims you dont need a pg to run it.. that it can be ran from the sg or sf position.... let see. so i guess if we dont get a pg like nash... we can look for a excellent passing sg or sf...:smokin:

Like LeBron James...

James is an excellent passer, which would be one of the main reasons D'Antoni would want him. We want to have players who are willing and able to pass the ball on our team.

That's why I want David Lee over Chris Bosh as well

New New York

Quiet Storm
Wait.... what's wrong with Duhon?!

haha just playin.... Parker would do great in this system but he better not start jacking up 3's cause ever1 else is doing it. That's not his game but as long as he keeps his defender honest I'm all for it.

LOL,Actually you bring up a good point tho!

Duhon looked starter worthy for the first few months he played in Dantoni and he is a certafied backup, so again imagine if TP's game was taken to another level

New New York

Quiet Storm
I wondered about that actually. Not that he'd be MVP cos I can't see that happening with the likes of James, Kobe, Wade, Durant around.

But I did wonder about what his numbers could be like running the point in a high octane offense as one of the leagues quickest players.

25+ PPG?
6-7 APG?
a pick or 2?

As finals MVP, he destroyed Mo Williams and shot .568% from the floor with 25+ppg. His inside scoring was unbelievable. His paint scoring is just ridiculous and that running one hander is as deadly as sex with Magic Johnson. The guy's a machine - but is his prime ahead or behind him?

Comparing him to Nash at any stage in their careers is a bit awkward because their games are so different. Nash is the better shooter, passer, handler and facilitator. Parker is quicker, a more versatile scorer and leads breaks looking to score more than create, but can create better off a pass...

Tough one to call.

He's played on a team with exemplary team defence though. I'd love to see him bring that to the Knicks.

I still have 2 qualms with signing Parker:
1. the injuries - finger, hip (not too serious) and a recurring ankle issue - I know what that's like. None are massive issues, but is he durable? He's skipping the worlds.

2. what are we gonna have to give up for him? And once we give something up, what guarantee is there that we can add the right pieces with Lee or Gallo gone?

This, however is a very inspiring mix of Parker at his best

Yeah the injuries are scary to me too! But his contract is only for one year more, but of course it is going to cost us a key player (Lee or Gallo) to nab him. So say he breaks down, we dont re-sign him but we have lost Gallo or Lee!

But consider that Gallo's back could act up at anytime, this could be the highest his trade value could be at.

I guess sometimes those are the risks you take, but Donnie's parting with Hill and a pick is as bout as risky as trading a key player for Parker....kinda a High Risk High reward type deal

New New York

Quiet Storm

Wait....what?

The Suns did run a European up tempo offense that was called Seven seconds or less. The "Myth or Fantasy" might stem from it not actually only taking seven seconds, which anyone with an ounce of common sense knows that it did not take literally seven seconds or less to run their half court sets, although the Suns would often push after a made basket that fast, which if I'm not mistaking where the actual Title of the offense comes from.

Not to mention, The Coach of The Suns gives the credit of his teams success to Mike Dantoni! He has said it several times about just running the offense like Mike showed us! So, this isnt a Myth or Fantasy!

So if you makes you feel any better we will call it Dantoni's uptempo offense.

But there is no reason to think Toney Parker would is not skilled enough to run such an offense.

There is no reason to think that a player of Nash's calliber is needed, look Nash mastered it for sure but that is not to say he or a player that good is needed....again Duhon looked good doing it until the clock struck midnight on him....but a player like a Raymond Felton could certainley run it affectively

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
I represent all Gallo fans, and I refuse to trade Gallo in this deal.

But yes Tony Parker's pick and rolls would look very nice in a D'antoni offense. He would be dynamic in this system...with Gallo on the team of course.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Yeah the injuries are scary to me too! But his contract is only for one year more, but of course it is going to cost us a key player (Lee or Gallo) to nab him. So say he breaks down, we dont re-sign him but we have lost Gallo or Lee!

But consider that Gallo's back could act up at anytime, this could be the highest his trade value could be at.

I guess sometimes those are the risks you take, but Donnie's parting with Hill and a pick is as bout as risky as trading a key player for Parker....kinda a High Risk High reward type deal

Fair point about Gallo. His expiry date could come sooner than a lot of players. It'd be such a shame to see him go though.

High risk - High reward. That tightens the sphincter.

SA will be looking to have Douglas thrown in there for sure. I think I'd cry if he were to leave.

moneyg

Starter
Wait....what?

The Suns did run a European up tempo offense that was called Seven seconds or less. The "Myth or Fantasy" might stem from it not actually only taking seven seconds, which anyone with an ounce of common sense knows that it did not take literally seven seconds or less to run their half court sets, although the Suns would often push after a made basket that fast, which if I'm not mistaking where the actual Title of the offense comes from.

Not to mention, The Coach of The Suns gives the credit of his teams success to Mike Dantoni! He has said it several times about just running the offense like Mike showed us! So, this isnt a Myth or Fantasy!

So if you makes you feel any better we will call it Dantoni's uptempo offense.

But there is no reason to think Toney Parker would is not skilled enough to run such an offense.

There is no reason to think that a player of Nash's calliber is needed, look Nash mastered it for sure but that is not to say he or a player that good is needed....again Duhon looked good doing it until the clock struck midnight on him....but a player like a Raymond Felton could certainley run it affectively

look.. i didnt say it.. nash did...and if u seen the interview.. u could tell it was a diss to O'antoni....its a smack in the face to a great player like nash.. that the reason for his success came only because of this guys offense.. it basically a run and gun offense thats it.. it bother me that he take somethin like a run and gun offense and rename it and tries to talk all the credit for it.. its basically the showtime laker(magic, worthy,scott.. without defense... its that simple.. u could probably find someone at W4 or the rucker than can run and gun better than duhon.. the point is to run up and down and tire out the other team....but as we all know the two teams in the finals play defense.... nash is on the westside highway skateboarding:smokin:

New New York

Quiet Storm
look.. i didnt say it.. nash did...and if u seen the interview.. u could tell it was a diss to O'antoni....its a smack in the face to a great player like nash.. that the reason for his success came only because of this guys offense.. it basically a run and gun offense thats it.. it bother me that he take somethin like a run and gun offense and rename it and tries to talk all the credit for it.. its basically the showtime laker(magic, worthy,scott.. without defense... its that simple.. u could probably find someone at W4 or the rucker than can run and gun better than duhon.. the point is to run up and down and tire out the other team....but as we all know the two teams in the finals play defense.... nash is on the westside highway skateboarding:smokin:

wait are you suggesting Nash's game did not elevate when he first became a Sun?

Did Nash look nearly as good last season playing for Terry Porter?

As good as Nash was in Dallas (multiple All Star) was he ever a MVP canidate?

And speaking of Dallas....they played an uptempo offense with Don Nelson and again was Nash a MVP canidate then?

Not all uptempo offenses are the same, just like two Defensive minded clubs are not going to D up the same as one another!

Dantoni's offense was not just a typical run and gun offense and regardless if Nash admits it or not, it is what took him to a Superstar level!

moneyg

Starter
wait are you suggesting Nash's game did not elevate when he first became a Sun?

Did Nash look nearly as good last season playing for Terry Porter?

As good as Nash was in Dallas (multiple All Star) was he ever a MVP canidate?

And speaking of Dallas....they played an uptempo offense with Don Nelson and again was Nash a MVP canidate then?

Not all uptempo offenses are the same, just like two Defensive minded clubs are not going to D up the same as one another!

Dantoni's offense was not just a typical run and gun offense and regardless if Nash admits it or not, it is what took him to a Superstar level!

thats cuz porter tried to get them to slow it down and play defense.. part of the reason was shaq.... nash was good in dallas but dirk was not a pick and roll type player that amare is.. amare made nash better..marion made nash better.. if dirk was a post player like amare.. who knows... amare basically frees up nash... dirk hogs the perimeter....u can not compare the talent that dallas had and the talent the suns had. i think nash would have made an mvp if he stayed in dalas and had more talent around him....

New New York

Quiet Storm
thats cuz porter tried to get them to slow it down and play defense.. part of the reason was shaq.... nash was good in dallas but dirk was not a pick and roll type player that amare is.. amare made nash better..marion made nash better.. if dirk was a post player like amare.. who knows... amare basically frees up nash... dirk hogs the perimeter....u can not compare the talent that dallas had and the talent the suns had. i think nash would have made an mvp if he stayed in dalas and had more talent around him....

Ok....but Dallas made it to The NBA Finals after beating The Suns in the Conference Finals. So how can you say that The Suns simply having more talent being the reason for Nash's success?

The fact remains, it was Dantoni's offense that deserves the credit! Amare and Marion were not always pick and roll players, Dantoni made them into that!

Was David a pick and roll (or even an offensive player of any kind) before Dantoni? Is he one now?

Give credit where it is due!