My Dream Draft (Brackins, Varnado, Crawford +++)

mafra

Legend
OK. It's that time. We've dreamt about this for 2 years and have waited for it since we won the Ewing lottery and certainly since we traded Patrick to SEA... The light at the end of the tunnel has arrived (although I fear it's really the headlights of an oncoming semi).

We can dream for Lebron-Bosh or something, but reality might be that there's no cavalry heading our way. We could be in for a rude awakening July 4th.... But let's all dream until then.

BUT THE DRAFT IS UPON US.... and with 2 (or possibly 3-4) picks, there is a legitmate chance we can build a team ready to compete for a title (if we simply add water, or a true legit star).

With that said.... Here's my dream for the 2010 draft.

1. Jarvis Varnado is drafted with our 1st pick in the 2nd round. Why?

"Varnado made a name for himself at MSU as one of the nation's top defensive players, especially adept at blocking shots.

He averaged 13 points and 10 rebounds a game as a senior, and finished as the NCAA's career leader in blocked shots.

"My strength is blocking shots, running the floor and rebounding," Varnado said. "My offensive game is coming along. It's going to be a work in progress and I'm willing to work on it."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2010-06-23-2589105885_x.htm

If this doesn't get you excited... get you pumped.... fill a H-U-G-E need on this team (interior defense & shot-blocking).... what else does?

Say what you will about his offense (like we need more offense) or his height.... All I know is when he battled against Kentucky (and their 5 first round picks) he was a man amongst boys!

We aint getting Whiteside or Udoh; Brackins would work but he's not the defensive presence Varnado is. Draft this stud, bring Brian Zoubek or Jeff Foote as undrafted rookie free agents. We're good to go.

2. I go back and forth here, but I'm going with Jordan Crawford with this pick. I know, we could sign Jon Scheyer after the draft and get the same shooting but with all things equal I'm taking JC's upside. I'm a Duke fan, and think JS could be a JJ Redick type player off the bench... But there's just something about JC that makes me want to see more!

THAT'S IT. I know people think we need a PG, but I LOVE T-Douglas, and feel he'll become a legit starting PG in this league. Why draft another project (Torrence or Vasquez) to stunt TD's development? I would prefer to sign a Felton or Livingston this summer.

3. NOW.... if we're fortunate enough to snag an extra 2nd rounder, I would take a foregin player in either Nemanja Bjelica or Alexey Shved.

And now for the ultimate dream - getting a first round pick:

4. With this selection I have to differ to Walsh-D'antoni. I mean, we hear they covet Brackins. He seems like a MD type player. Could replace Lee in the pick-n-roll, as he has a nice touch and solid offensive game. Lawal or Alabi would be nice, but they aint really MD type players. I know, they're more so than Varnado.... But I can only declare we draft one anti-SSOL type prospect and I already made my pick. So why not go with size.... We know MD wants outside shooting with his bigs, so here we go.

There are several SG/SF wing type players I could go with, but who really knows which one is better (or better yet, better suited for our system). I do think we could deal Wilson Chandler, so I wont go on record saying we don't need a true SG/SF wing player.

=================

Well, that's it. There's my FOUR players. Sure, we might have to take Crawford in the first, or whatever.... That's not the point. Sure, we only have 2 picks, but again that is not the point. This is my dream draft and I'm sticking to it.

Craig Brackins, Jarvis Varnado, Jordan Crawford, Bjelic/Shved; and then we bring in Zoubek or Foote after the draft - and if Scheyer or Vasquez is still available, bring them in to!

Last edited: