Knicks trying to trade for Rudy Fernandez

mafra

Legend
Via Jonathan Abrams:
The Knicks have engaged in trade discussions with the Portland Trail Blazers in hopes of prying guard Rudy Fernandez, according to an N.B.A. executive.​

In the past, Fernandez has voiced displeasure over his role with Portland. The Knicks are on the verge of a free agency they hope will vastly restock their team and have long been interested in Fernandez.​

If the talks proceed, the Knicks will most likely part with Wilson Chandler or Toney Douglas.​

Another league executive said Fernandez was available but Portland was hoping to land a draft selection with any trade that he is involved in. As of now, the Knicks hold only the 38th and 39th picks, in the second round.​

Fernandez averaged 8.1 points and 2.6 rebounds last season.​
http://www.theknicksblog.com/

Blazers Guard Sparks Knicks’ Interest

<!-- Byline --><ADDRESS class="byline author vcard">By JONATHAN ABRAMS</ADDRESS><!-- The Content -->The Knicks have engaged in trade discussions with the Portland Trail Blazers in hopes of prying guard Rudy Fernandez, according to an N.B.A. executive.

In the past, Fernandez has voiced displeasure over his role with Portland. The Knicks are on the verge of a free agency they hope will vastly restock their team and have long been interested in Fernandez.

If the talks proceed, the Knicks will most likely part with Wilson Chandler or Toney Douglas.

Another league executive said Fernandez was available but Portland was hoping to land a draft selection with any trade that he is involved in. As of now, the Knicks hold only the 38th and 39th picks, in the second round.

Fernandez averaged 8.1 points and 2.6 rebounds last season.

The Spanish news site Marca recently reported that Fernandez had signed a three-year deal with Real Madrid, pending a buyout from the Trail Blazers.

Fernandez denied the report in an article by Sportando, saying: “I laughed when I read the news on Marca. I am still a Portland Trail Blazers player.”

http://offthedribble.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/23/blazers-guard-sparks-knicks-interest/

---------
I would think a scenario we should keep an eye out for is, depending on how draft breaks down, POR can't snag a pick.... we do... we take Hobson and deal Chandler for Fernandez. With Bayless I doubt they need Douglas, and losing Outlaw (despite having Batum) could mean that Wilson is the better fit.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I would like to get Fernandez. We need a legit SG. But these rumors have been going on for years. I'll believe it when I see it.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Fernandez

Fernandez's 2010-11 salary is $1.2M; Chandler's is $1.775M. A straight up trade would increase our cap space by $575,000. This might help to buy a first round pick without affecting our ability to sign two max free agents.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I like Wilson Chandler. I honestly do not feel comfortable trading him for Rudy Fernandez.

With Gallo stepping into the spotlight it's almost as if Chandler has become expendable, or something - we forget that he is a solid player who can play both SG and SF, and a reliable 15 PPG scorer and a good defender.

What the hell has Rudy Fernandez ever done?

New New York

Quiet Storm
This time last year I wouldve thought of this as a sound trade for us, but Wilson throughly outplayed Fernandez last season!

Both players are coming off an injury so that is a wash.

To me they have to include Bayless.

Looks like they want a pick in this deal, meaning they think they are giving up more value in such a deal.

I would trade Douglas and a pick for Fernandez, but not Wilson and a pick.

metrocard

Legend
Wilson for Fernandez would be a fair trade.

Portland needs a SG, not a SF, they have Roy and they want Elliot Williams fro the draft.

Knicks need a SG, not a SF, we have Gallinari and this draft is loaded with SF's anyway.

Fernandez is a Ginobili type SG with a lot of potential, in the right system(like this one he can blossom and average 15-18 ppg 5 rebs 5 assist and 2 steals which I see at a higher value than what Chandler can ever offer.

Marcus Camby
Rudy Fernadez

for

Eddy Curry
Wilson Chandler
38th pick in the draft
Cash

Portland get the SF they've been needing for years and a cheap salary. They also get to cut some salary by getting rid of Camby's contract. Also Marcus Camby is an insurance policy to Greg Oden, I don't think Camby will be happy playing 15 minutes a game with Oden back.

We can get more for eddy curry's expiring contract and wilson chandler, than camby and fernandez. I honestly feel like we can get a legitimate player in a sign and trade deal for a team that wants cap space ala 2011.

Portland needs a SG, not a SF, they have Roy and they want Elliot Williams fro the draft.

Knicks need a SG, not a SF, we have Gallinari and this draft is loaded with SF's anyway.

Fernandez is a Ginobili type SG with a lot of potential, in the right system(like this one he can blossom and average 15-18 ppg 5 rebs 5 assist and 2 steals which I see at a higher value than what Chandler can ever offer.

This reminds me of the stupid comments made about brook lopez being as good as tim duncan. Rudy is not even on the same page as ginobli and never will be, you are talking about one of the top 10 talents in the NBA over the past 6 years; who only cut himself out of being a top 10 player because he accepted a lesser roll to win championships. Rudy is a decent off the bench roll player, but lets not get it twisted, he is not ever going to be a manu ginobli lol.

Scipio

Benchwarmer
This reminds me of the stupid comments made about brook lopez being as good as tim duncan. Rudy is not even on the same page as ginobli and never will be, you are talking about one of the top 10 talents in the NBA over the past 6 years; who only cut himself out of being a top 10 player because he accepted a lesser roll to win championships. Rudy is a decent off the bench roll player, but lets not get it twisted, he is not ever going to be a manu ginobli lol.

To be fair Metro didn`t say that Rudy was like,or as good as Ginobli. What he said is that he is a Ginobli "type" player. That makes sense to me and I get his point.

metrocard

Legend

Whoa...watch how you're sending those messages to me...relax yourself kid.

TheChosen1

Benchwarmer
I really wouldn't mind Rudy. It's true we would save money and I think he deserves a legit shot. If he was given the minutes we gave Chandler, I think he would put up some good numbers.

moneyg

Starter
Marcus Camby
Rudy Fernadez

for

Eddy Curry
Wilson Chandler
38th pick in the draft
Cash

Portland get the SF they've been needing for years and a cheap salary. They also get to cut some salary by getting rid of Camby's contract. Also Marcus Camby is an insurance policy to Greg Oden, I don't think Camby will be happy playing 15 minutes a game with Oden back.

why in the hell would portland trade camby if they just sign him to an extension...why????

KNICKMATIC809

Benchwarmer
Rudy was unable to beat out Batum, Blake, Webster, and Miller for playing time. Sounds like another guy headed back to Spain to me.... To give up Will for him, has to include a lot more....Some will say he fits D'an better but I call B-ll Sh-t on that...Anything this guy can do, Will can do better...except maybe shoot 3's...and he's 2 yrs older than Will....Knicks need to get a lot more in this deal...

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Rudy was unable to beat out Batum, Blake, Webster, and Miller for playing time. Sounds like another guy headed back to Spain to me.... To give up Will for him, has to include a lot more....Some will say he fits D'an better but I call B-ll Sh-t on that...Anything this guy can do, Will can do better...except maybe shoot 3's...and he's 2 yrs older than Will....Knicks need to get a lot more in this deal...

All SF's and PG's in that list. Rudy's a SG. He plays behind Brandon Roy. Chandler wouldn't beat out any of those players either. And he's a SF. Batum would start over Chandler.

Last edited:
Portland signed Andre Miller and tried to trade him that same year, people do sign players to have as a trading chip on there team.

metrocard

Legend
he is right that was an exaggeration. it would be a shame if we were to expect that from him.

It isn't at all. Look at Manu's career in Europe and compare it to Rudy. Rudy is an established and PROVEN player. He's just stuck playing behind of the best SG's in the NBA.

You're telling me you can't see Rudy averaging 15-17 ppg a game? Because that what Ginobili does.

Why are people acting like Ginobili is Kobe like now? Ginobili is an ex all star who is now old and has 3 years of basketball left.

Rudy is an aggressive offensive play maker with 3pt range who is active on the defensive end. Total opposite of Chandler.

We'll wait and see what happens.

Paul1355

All Star

Is Chandler worth more than just fernandez? I think so.

The only thing teams will see with chandler as a down side is that he has been hurt the pas two off seasons so he could never really improve his game during the offseason.

I think he averaged 15 ppg and a block per game? not sure on the stats.

Maybe trade Chandler and one of our picks for Rudy and one of their picks

Danilo

Benchwarmer

I doubt he was competing for minutes at sf and i guarantee he was never competing for minutes at pg. Will can do everyting better EXCEPT shoot 3's... You know what a sg in d'antoni's offense is there to do? do you?