Article:"It's not all about James" a must read for Knick Fans!

New New York

Quiet Storm
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/28/sports/basketball/28knicks.html

This is probably the most important article written about 2010 in the past 2 years!

What it boils down to is that The Knicks would love to have Lebron! He would change the fortunes of our franchise (and any other he ends up with) but Walsh is looking beyond Lebron....and Knick fans should to.

As dumb as this might sound....Lebron doesnt really fill a need of ours! Now when you are talking about a talent like Lebron there is certainly room for him in any starting lineup in the league but even he and Bosh do not make up for our two needs of a legit PG and Center (Bosh has recently stated he will not move to the Center position).

Also just going after Max FA's is not the only approach. What Walsh has done was just simply put us in position to manuever, which is something we have not been able to do for sometime now!

32 million (I always thought the projected figure was more) is a lot when making trades for players on the books who teams are looking to shed.

Let's look at some hypothetical situations

Say Detroit is looking to rid themselves of Hamilton's contract. We could literally get him for a second rounder. And Portland's GM Decides Kevin Pritchard was dumb for giving Camby his extension so we trade him for one of players we drafted. We then sign Lee.

Douglas
Hamilton
Gallo
Lee
Camby

with still some cap room and Curry's expiring deal. Now this isnt a championship contender overnight...but is a better product than we have seen since Ewing was traded!

Or imagine if Minny wanted to get Al Jefferson off the books, we could insist on Rubio in such a deal or possibly a unprotected pick.

Point being there are going to be teams looking to dump contracts and our cap is going to help us make deals and in such deals we would either have to give up nothing or we will get back some early draft picks or quality players.

Free Agency is one approach, but there is more...so lets not worry about Chicago's or Mia's cap space and where Lebron or Bosh signs, we can make our team better in other ways.

JujuXG

Benchwarmer
I agree with fa is not the only way to improve the knicks but we don't really have that much asset to trade with teams.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Our only assets (that I think we're willing to trade) are Chandler and Curry's expiring contract (I don't see Walsh trading TD or Gallo).

Curry can net us a lot, though.

I honestly believe that curry will be trade for parker

I say this because last year was the first year the owner of the spurs went over the Luxury cap which their owner was very reluctant in doing so. After extending ginbolis contract, and having a young improving and effect pg in G hill, parker is sadly expendable based on financial insecurity. The spurs recognize duncan is coming to a close in his dominance, and they will need money over the next few years to stay competitive.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Mi Scusi?

I honestly believe that curry will be trade for parker

I say this because last year was the first year the owner of the spurs went over the Luxury cap which their owner was very reluctant in doing so. After extending ginbolis contract, and having a young improving and effect pg in G hill, parker is sadly expendable based on financial insecurity. The spurs recognize duncan is coming to a close in his dominance, and they will need money over the next few years to stay competitive.

So why don't they just let TP's contract expire and make another run at the title? It's only $2.3M the difference between his and Curry's salary. No team in their right mind would bother, Isiah wouldn't have even bothered, and this is SA we're talking about.

mafra

Legend
It's funny how John Salmons flies under the radar! Dude was the difference maker for CHI and MIL the last 2 seasons....

Heck, Knicks could sign guys like Shaun Livingston, Raymond Felton, John Salmons, Mike Miller, Brad Miller, Brendan Heywood, Ryan Gomes (going to be released)... Kyle Kover, Amir Johnson, Channing Frye, Luke Ridnour & Travis Outlaw.

Plus restricted free agents such as: Rudy Gay, Anthony Morrow, Jordan Farmar and Tyrus Thomas.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=FreeAgents-10-11

Plenty of decent options, upgrades that would help this team.

Would you prefer to give max contracts to Joe Johnson and/or Amar'e; or to David Lee; and then plug in 2-4 of these aforementioned fellows, along with some trades (Curry-Chandler)?

If anything, an added bonus would be to see Douglas-Gallo-Walker become the players we need them to be. A starting PG, a true #3 option and 6th-man of the year candidate.

Last edited:

dave2138

Rotation player
My problem with this is that for the past 2 years, every move that was made was guided towards this 2010 offseason.

When you fill in this sentence, how do you want it to end?

For the 2010/2011 season, we gave up Randolph, Crawford, Jeffries, Hill, + 2012 1st round pick for _______.

Obviously, if it ends with Lebron + Bosh, then those trades were worth it. If you end it with Richard Hamilton + Marcus Camby...well, you could have got those guys anyway regardless of the moves made to shed payroll.

Even if you fill in the blank with Joe Johnson + Amare Stoudemire, I think that's fine just because you could not have even made an attempt to sign those players had the Randolph, Jeffries etc. trades never occurred.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Fact: The Knicks will be a better team opening night then we ended the season with!

It is not going to be an Isiah team that looks great on paper, but doesnt amount to much!

We have a team that has not won 100 games in the past 3 seasons combined and if we can get 50, then I'm satisfied

Championship teams that are built over night do not last! It's human nature to not manage success well when you get it all at once

Examples: The Celtics assembled the Big 3 and one a championship that season. They have not won one since and clearly their better days are behind them even with Rondo emerging as a top PG!

Remember when Mia. got Shaq? Won a championship the year after, bounced out in the first round the next year and then back to the lottery the following!

I want a team built to last! With a young core of players who know each other and are going to be good for years to come.

I actually think in time Atl. (if they keep the team together) will be a Championship contender much like Detroit. They won a championship when they got Larry Brown, but that core had been together for about 4 years! They were a mid-tier team and gel'd into a championship team.

Two max players makes us a title contender, but also makes us vunerable to one injury screwing a whole season!

Lets build a core of talent and let them gel baby!

mafra

Legend
Fact: The Knicks will be a better team opening night then we ended the season with!

It is not going to be an Isiah team that looks great on paper, but doesnt amount to much!

We have a team that has not won 100 games in the past 3 seasons combined and if we can get 50, then I'm satisfied

Championship teams that are built over night do not last! It's human nature to not manage success well when you get it all at once

Examples: The Celtics assembled the Big 3 and one a championship that season. They have not won one since and clearly their better days are behind them even with Rondo emerging as a top PG!

Remember when Mia. got Shaq? Won a championship the year after, bounced out in the first round the next year and then back to the lottery the following!

I want a team built to last! With a young core of players who know each other and are going to be good for years to come.

I actually think in time Atl. (if they keep the team together) will be a Championship contender much like Detroit. They won a championship when they got Larry Brown, but that core had been together for about 4 years! They were a mid-tier team and gel'd into a championship team.

Two max players makes us a title contender, but also makes us vunerable to one injury screwing a whole season!

Lets build a core of talent and let them gel baby!

I agree. Handing two max contracts to Johnson & Amar'e is suicide UNLESS it occurs under 2 conditions:

1- One of the deals involves a sign-n-trade. Most likely with ATL. We give them Curry-Chandler. They get a young player and an expiring contract.

2- They both take less money, openignt he dorr for NYK to resign David Lee, or 2 tier-B/C free agents.

Otherwise, just sign one of the two, and fill-out the roster with 2-3 other dudes.

Nothing better to ruin Leborn's legacy than to do to his CHI team something we never did to MJ's squad -oust them from the playoffs!