Knicks target Ellis in S-&-T w/ LEE; He wont do us favors though

mafra

Legend
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b.../04/2010-07-04_wolves_woo_lee_dirk_stays.html

MINNEAPOLIS - David Lee visited the Minnesota Timberwolves Saturday. His agent says it was worth the trip.

Mark Bartelstein said his client "had a great visit" and was "really impressed" by the pitch put on by team president David Kahn, coach Kurt Rambis and the rest of the Timberwolves.

"They had an impressive proposal and really showed a lot of enthusiasm," Bartelstein said.

Lee spent about nine hours in the Twin Cities, catching some of the Rays-Twins game with Kahn and Rambis before grabbing an evening flight home, and Bartelstein said the two would talk things over. He declined to say if the Timberwolves had made an offer.

"We had a very good meeting with David Lee today," Kahn said in a statement issued by the team. "We enjoyed getting to know David and providing him an opportunity to hear our vision for our team, and his potential role with us. This was the first step in the process and we will be in contact with his representatives later this week."

If the Timberwolves are to do a deal with Lee, it likely will require a sign and trade to make it happen.

Agreeing to deals with Darko Milicic and Nikola Pekovic has eaten a big chunk of their cap space, which means the Wolves will almost assuredly have to deal Al Jefferson and his $13 million salary to create enough room for Lee.

Lee averaged 20.2 points and 11.7 rebounds last season for the Knicks, who may want to use the forward in a sign-and-trade deal to acquire Warriors point guard Monta Ellis."

By Tommy Dee on Jul 04, 2010, 9:01 am

There?s be a lot of talk, mostly from fans, surrounding the fact that the Knicks can use David Lee in a sign and trade. There was also recently an article on the subject.

But a source with knowledge of the situation says don?t expect Lee to be involved in any deals. Chris Broussard said yesterday on ESPN that the Knicks may explore a deal for Golden State?s Monta Ellis.
?Golden State is not in play at the moment,? the source says. ?Right now it?s looking like Chicago or New Jersey, depending what the big 3 do.?​
Bottom line is that Lee isn?t doing any favors, since apparently he?s not happy with the way he?s been treated by the Knicks this off season and the word that I keep hearing when talking about Lee and the Knicks is that next year they will be ?adversaries.?

But if the most money comes via sign and trade, I would imagine Lee?s camp would reconsider.​

Other teams in play are Denver, Boston and Minnesota, but it appears the Nets and Bulls are where Lee is targeting at this point.​

----------------​

Personally, I would prefer simply to offer RFA Anthony Morrow a deal worth about 20 mil (5 mil per for 4 years; or 4 per for 5 years). GSW offered him 1.5 and have right to match any offer. Something in the 20 mil range might prevent them.​

BUT, I think if we can get Ellis or Morrow.... that's great. Mike Miller is also an option.​

I think it would be great to get one of these 3, but this is probably the plan if we swing and miss on Lebron James.​

Would Lee help us out? Agree to some sort of 3-way trade with MIN-GSW? Or will Lee go to NYJ-CHI and battle us?​

LeFlume

All Star
I rather keep Lee than sign and trade for Monta Ellis. Lee is a loyal servant and a hardworker. Monta Ellis is just problem..SUPER STUPID move..

Dario8676

Benchwarmer
lol

If this is the best sign and trade we can get for lee, and you assume the Knicks aren't getting Bosch, Wade, or Lebron this offseason!!! Oh boy, it's going to be another long year.

mafra

Legend
"When Stoudemire becomes official, it would end the five-year era of David Lee, but set up a possibility of a sign-and-trade to add another piece. There's been rumors of a three-way trade talk between Golden State, Minnesota and the Knicks where Lee winds up with the Timberwolves, Monta Ellis comes to the Knicks and Al Jefferson goes to Golden State. Lee visited Minnesota yesterday and it has only $7 million in cap room, meaning he'd want a sign-and-trade.

The Knicks would also hope to have enough room to add a low-priced veteran center such as Kurt Thomas or Theo Ratliff, both high on their pivot list."

It's not the end of the world. If we can't get Lebron or Wade, what's the next best option?

Wait until next summer and sign Parker.

Parker
Ellis
Gallo
Chandler
Amar'e

That's a very solid starting five. Toss in Douglas & Walker.

Let's not forget we could always deal Curry for Tyson Chanlder or Okefor, or something else.

I do think Anthony Morrow is the smarter bet. He's cheaper and less of a headache.

Anyway, I think we have Mike Miller as plan-B. If we lose Lebron, I sense we sign Miller, Ridnour and a C. If we lose Lebron & Miller, and Lee opts to head to MIN.... that's the only scenario I see possible where we bring a S-&-T to the table.... and even then, we have to get Nelson to approve it (and he hates the Knicks).

I have to believe.... with all this Miller & Ellis talk, that we really are looking at Morrow. It just makes too much sense, right? It's always the guy you heard nothing about, no?

We act like we aint interested in Morrow. Throw off the scent. This way, while we go after Lebron, we don't push another team (waiting in the weeds) to go hard after Morrow now. Sounds logical?

moneyg

Starter
i have always been a monta ellis fan... d wade lite.... i think if we strike out on lebron and wade.. we get amare and monta and try to get melo with curry trade...we would still have money for another FA...i could see losing lee for monta if we got STAT....we would still have like 10 mil in cap space...

monta is sick man, did any one even watch him last year, he lit shit up every night on an elite level in terms of steals, scoring, getting to the foul line, and he plays defense, and no one in the league can guard him one on one and he is young.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
im down for this Monta is quick and will be perfect for the fast pace offense of D'Antoni, his passing is somewhat underrated though he is in no way a pass first player. I do like him and think he could put up 17 and maybe 6 in this offense.

assuming we get him and we practically have amar'e( waiting for it to be final ) lets use currys expiring and chandler and get ourselves a C like Okafor if Parker cant be lurred here.

Dario8676

Benchwarmer
The Knicks would also hope to have enough room to add a low-priced veteran center such as Kurt Thomas or Theo Ratliff, both high on their pivot list."

You know things are bad when these two names are being thrown out there. I mean Kurt Thomas really? LOL haven't we been there done that.

dude theoretically those two names thomas and ratliff are quintisential haha cant spell it but you get my point quintisential to what we are trying to do. Veteran defensive minded big men are a rarity in this league and could do wonders to help these young guys practice hard, prepare for games the right way, we need a voice in the locker room. I dont even think Lebron and Amare are really those type of guys, the pre game antics lebron would pull off were the antithesis to what a championship level teams do, you would never see kobe mock photographing his teammates before a game. WE need a few vets and I hope donnie knows this.

Dario8676

Benchwarmer
lawl

Maybe we can get Ewing out of retirement too lmao, or hey I hear Shaq is available. I understand where you are getting at but I'm really sick of seeing these old players on the Knicks who can't move anymore. I honestly don't want anyone over 30 on this team anymore. I am still holding out hope on LJ and pray to god that those reports we are hearing are nonsense.

dude im not even talking about to play minutes like that im saying like 500,000 dollar salary guys that are just good locker room guys, every team that wins has them. There was a reason why the celtics kept a useless sam cassell around, or all those years the knicks left herb sitting on the bench, or why derek fischer is so valuable to the lakers.

Scipio

Benchwarmer
I`d love to see Monta Ellis on the team. He`s as quick as lightning and would be great to watch. I think that he`d really improve us massively.

New New York

Quiet Storm
The report that Lee is "not doing the Knicks any favors" is as bogus as the reports about The Knicks bad presentation w/ Lebron

First off, Lee is a professional! He has shown that his whole career!

Secondly, a sign and trade would be doing him just as much a favor! He could over the course of a six year deal make about 15 million more dollars! That would seem to be fair compensation for bruised ego!

Now about Monta Ellis.....I highly doubt if a three team trade is being discussed it is us giving up Lee to bring in Monta Ellis. I think possibly we could be dealing Curry to Minny for Jefferson to free up cap room for Minny to give Lee 8 or 9 million and then we may be sending Jefferson to G-State.

The difference between a sign and trade w/ Lee for Ellis and a trade that ships out Curry for Ellis is 11 million dollars against our cap!

If Amare is coming to NY we will have 17 million left to spend and are we really going to invest 11 of it to Monta Ellis?

Furthermore, I think if such a deal is on the table New York would be smart to re-rout Jefferson to Char. for Tyson Chandler who is the perfect compliment to Amare on the frontcourt.

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
How does Monta Ellis Blow? he shoots 45% from the field better than anyone on the Knicks except Lee and Chandler (and he is a 6 foot 3 guard) ... He averaged 2.2 steals a game... No on the Knbicks knows how to play defense... he averaged 25.5 points a game and averaged over 5 assist a game... anyone who talks shiit about not liking Ellis is a damn fool who doesn't know anything about basketball or Monta Ellis...

LeFlume

All Star
Basketball is a team sport. Monta Elllis stats are nice but he is worse than Starbury as far cancer goes. STAY AWAY.