PDA

View Full Version : From Cleveland

LeFlume
Jul 08, 2010, 22:53
Dear Cleveland, All Of Northeast Ohio and Cleveland Cavaliers Supporters Wherever You May Be Tonight;

As you now know, our former hero, who grew up in the very region that he deserted this evening, is no longer a Cleveland Cavalier.

This was announced with a several day, narcissistic, self-promotional build-up culminating with a national TV special of his "decision" unlike anything ever "witnessed" in the history of sports and probably the history of entertainment.

Clearly, this is bitterly disappointing to all of us.

The good news is that the ownership team and the rest of the hard-working, loyal, and driven staff over here at your hometown Cavaliers have not betrayed you nor NEVER will betray you.

There is so much more to tell you about the events of the recent past and our more than exciting future. Over the next several days and weeks, we will be communicating much of that to you.

You simply don't deserve this kind of cowardly betrayal.

You have given so much and deserve so much more.

In the meantime, I want to make one statement to you tonight:

"I PERSONALLY GUARANTEE THAT THE CLEVELAND CAVALIERS WILL WIN AN NBA CHAMPIONSHIP BEFORE THE SELF-TITLED FORMER ‘KING’ WINS ONE"

You can take it to the bank.

If you thought we were motivated before tonight to bring the hardware to Cleveland, I can tell you that this shameful display of selfishness and betrayal by one of our very own has shifted our "motivation" to previously unknown and previously never experienced levels.

Some people think they should go to heaven but NOT have to die to get there.

Sorry, but that's simply not how it works.

This shocking act of disloyalty from our home grown "chosen one" sends the exact opposite lesson of what we would want our children to learn. And "who" we would want them to grow-up to become.

But the good news is that this heartless and callous action can only serve as the antidote to the so-called "curse" on Cleveland, Ohio.

The self-declared former "King" will be taking the "curse" with him down south. And until he does "right" by Cleveland and Ohio, James (and the town where he plays) will unfortunately own this dreaded spell and bad karma.

Just watch.

Sleep well, Cleveland.

Tomorrow is a new and much brighter day....

I PROMISE you that our energy, focus, capital, knowledge and experience will be directed at one thing and one thing only:

DELIVERING YOU the championship you have long deserved and is long overdue....

Dan Gilbert
Majority Owner
Cleveland Cavaliers

Alej_Correa
Jul 08, 2010, 22:54
i hope hes right about lebron taking all of clevelands bad karma to miami!

Dario8676
Jul 08, 2010, 22:56
I just gained mad respect for Dan Gilbert!

smokes
Jul 08, 2010, 22:57
Are you serious that Dan Gilbert wrote this? Lol... Talk about bitter. And unprofessional.

Madhatter9382
Jul 08, 2010, 22:58
This letter is everywhere now and is the greatest thing ive read in a long time!

Dario8676
Jul 08, 2010, 23:36
Are you serious that Dan Gilbert wrote this? Lol... Talk about bitter. And unprofessional.

Screw that, Lebron played everybody. Made a show out of this free agency. The one hour show in my opinion really added fuel to the fire. He spit on the face of all the Cleveland fans and didn't look back.

Speak3asy
Jul 08, 2010, 23:37
Screw that, Lebron played everybody. Made a show out of this free agency. The one hour show in my opinion really added fuel to the fire. He spit on the face of all the Cleveland fans and didn't look back.

He screwed Cleveland hard. Now Cleveland don't really have many options to sign right now. He did them foul.

Paul1355
Jul 08, 2010, 23:41
Dear Cleveland, All Of Northeast Ohio and Cleveland Cavaliers Supporters Wherever You May Be Tonight;

As you now know, our former hero, who grew up in the very region that he deserted this evening, is no longer a Cleveland Cavalier.

This was announced with a several day, narcissistic, self-promotional build-up culminating with a national TV special of his "decision" unlike anything ever "witnessed" in the history of sports and probably the history of entertainment.

Clearly, this is bitterly disappointing to all of us.

The good news is that the ownership team and the rest of the hard-working, loyal, and driven staff over here at your hometown Cavaliers have not betrayed you nor NEVER will betray you.

There is so much more to tell you about the events of the recent past and our more than exciting future. Over the next several days and weeks, we will be communicating much of that to you.

You simply don't deserve this kind of cowardly betrayal.

You have given so much and deserve so much more.

In the meantime, I want to make one statement to you tonight:

"I PERSONALLY GUARANTEE THAT THE CLEVELAND CAVALIERS WILL WIN AN NBA CHAMPIONSHIP BEFORE THE SELF-TITLED FORMER ‘KING’ WINS ONE"

You can take it to the bank.

If you thought we were motivated before tonight to bring the hardware to Cleveland, I can tell you that this shameful display of selfishness and betrayal by one of our very own has shifted our "motivation" to previously unknown and previously never experienced levels.

Some people think they should go to heaven but NOT have to die to get there.

Sorry, but that's simply not how it works.

This shocking act of disloyalty from our home grown "chosen one" sends the exact opposite lesson of what we would want our children to learn. And "who" we would want them to grow-up to become.

But the good news is that this heartless and callous action can only serve as the antidote to the so-called "curse" on Cleveland, Ohio.

The self-declared former "King" will be taking the "curse" with him down south. And until he does "right" by Cleveland and Ohio, James (and the town where he plays) will unfortunately own this dreaded spell and bad karma.

Just watch.

Sleep well, Cleveland.

Tomorrow is a new and much brighter day....

I PROMISE you that our energy, focus, capital, knowledge and experience will be directed at one thing and one thing only:

DELIVERING YOU the championship you have long deserved and is long overdue....

Dan Gilbert
Majority Owner
Cleveland Cavaliers
some people see Gilbert as an embarrassment for this letter since James is only a basketball player and its not like he betrayed USA adn gave spy technology to Al Queda.

BUT I liked this from Gilbert and Lebron is only getting a taste of what will come.

SSj4Wingzero
Jul 08, 2010, 23:41
He screwed Cleveland hard. Now Cleveland don't really have many options to sign right now. He did them foul.

Cleveland screwed their long term future by getting guys like Mo Williams and Antawn Jamison who ate up cap space - and LeBron responded by leaving them.

What a dick.

Speak3asy
Jul 08, 2010, 23:45
Cleveland screwed their long term future by getting guys like Mo Williams and Antawn Jamison who ate up cap space - and LeBron responded by leaving them.

What a dick.

It was a dick move considering the Cavs did try and surround him with the
pieces. I just think this could have been bypassed about this "the decision"
bull****. It really just fed Brons ego and I think that this is what will piss everyone off the most. The only ones that are happy are the Heat. I think if he went back to the Cavs I think the league and other teams would probably say James is a decent dude for sticking by his hometown fans.

Now he just pissed everyone off and he dug his own grave. Brand James just took a hit and forget about being mister billionaire.

Dario8676
Jul 08, 2010, 23:53
The fact that people are defending Queen Lebron on here amazes me. Look if he was going to leave Cleveland for Miami thats one thing, but it's the way he handled it. Twitter Account, Personal Website, 1 Hour TV special on ESPN, I mean are you f'en kidding me. Look, I can live with the fact that he didn't come to the Knicks, but what I can't live with is how he handled this entire process. I think its egotistic, cowardly, and maniacal. He planned on leaving Cleveland all along. He quit on his team on the playoffs and quit on the State of Ohio. Screw him

SSj4Wingzero
Jul 08, 2010, 23:59
I would've been OK if he decided to stay in Cleveland and win one for his hometown. That's loyalty - and in this day and age, that's worth a lot.

What I'm NOT OK with, is him bailing on not only his home state, but also the BIG CITY, to go to WADE County.

I don't like that one bit.

DaTPRiNCE
Jul 09, 2010, 00:05
mad respect to Dan Gilbert, and his use of the quotations are hilarious.

it would be hilarious if the heat never win a title i would crack up and lebron would become the laughing stock of the NBA

theblackpage
Jul 09, 2010, 00:33
I still can't believe an owner would write something like that. He'll regret that ****, you watch. I appreciate the sentiment, but that's crazy to do as an owner.

Think Comm Stern might be speaking with Gilbert about this?

smokes
Jul 09, 2010, 00:44
I still can't believe an owner would write something like that. He'll regret that ****, you watch. I appreciate the sentiment, but that's crazy to do as an owner.

Think Comm Stern might be speaking with Gilbert about this?

Exactly.

I'm not defending Lebron or his decision. I'm pretty pissed off about it too. Although if he had joined the Heat and been straight about it from the get-go without all the twists and turns of the past week it woulda been not so bad.

The point is this is like an emotional rant from a teenager or something, not something fitting the status of a majority owner of an NBA team.

It's unprofessional, lacks class and is gonna get him in trouble most likely.

goldenchild1688
Jul 09, 2010, 00:50
that letter is funny as hell lmao

props to gilbert for saying how he really feels and not giving some pc answer

Supermansdaddy
Jul 09, 2010, 00:57
This is the most unprofessional thing i have ever seen from an NBA exec. He sounds like a complete idiot, this is something a 14 year old chick would write to her ex boyfriend who dumped her for the hotter older cheerleader.
He does not own Bron, He didnt help groom Bron from a talentless player to what he is today. Bron went there, tried to win a chip for 7 years, it didnt work out, and the way their roster was, probably wasnt gonna work out.
I really cant believe that this idiot wrote something like this. He will be killed over it. Idiot.

buffalochip
Jul 09, 2010, 02:11
Who would have known that one hour would bring all nba fans(xcept MIA) together for one cause: beat the heat.

Speak3asy
Jul 09, 2010, 02:15
Man I DVR'd the decision and I would have been pissed off if he had done my city like that. If he was on the Knicks and did us so foul on public television I would have been wrecked and felt like ****. I hope he never wins another championship ever.

highesthigh
Jul 09, 2010, 02:29
Mr. Gilbert has all the right in the world to rage after that whole shameless fiasco The Queen put him, his organization and his city through. As a matter of fact that was relatively tame if you consider what Mark Cuban would have done if Dirk did something even close to what The Queen did to Mr. Gilbert and the Cavs. If Stern should be reprimanding anyone it should be The Queen.

SSj4Wingzero
Jul 09, 2010, 02:38
Queen James got on TV and kicked Cleveland in the balls on National TV.

Way I see it - Gilbert has the right to do all but go to LeBron's house with a bunch of armed thugs and kick his ass.

rady
Jul 09, 2010, 03:53
damn, at first i thought it was a joke but it's actually posted on their official website

Pedro De Pacas
Jul 09, 2010, 04:02
LMAO, Gilbert is really pissed...and he reacts like a little girl that has been dumped...funny as hell but sad as well...

XxWinKnicksxX
Jul 09, 2010, 05:35
Thats what happens when you asint sellin luxury boxes, season tickets, jerseys, getting sponsors. He aint makin any $$$$$ now. Of course hes gonna hate. Aint that how the world works

WrongIslander
Jul 09, 2010, 05:54
Very smart move and one I would hope any of my teams would make in the circumstances. Forget unprofessional, while the man is clearly hurting he's basically saying, "listen Cleveland, we're you!" He's creating a siege mentality that will bring out defiance and if there is one thing you need in a depression it a group of people who will stand together in defiance of their situation.

Total and utter respect Dan.

Scribbles
Jul 09, 2010, 07:41
As unprofessional as this, and it is to the utmost, LMAO...

This letter had to be written for Cleveland, OH. At least he's trying to unify a city that must be torn.

Actually, I think this is gonna keep CLE pushing the envelope even harder now.

orchid
Jul 09, 2010, 08:45
I love this. Clevelands got HEART.

The point is this is like an emotional rant from a teenager or something, not something fitting the status of a majority owner of an NBA team.

It's unprofessional, lacks class and is gonna get him in trouble most likely.
LeBron's the one who is unprofessional and lacking in class here. See nothing wrong with what Gilbert wrote. And reading between the lines of what Gilbert said:

There's apparently going to be A LOT more to come out about what was going on behind the scenes here.

Very smart move and one I would hope any of my teams would make in the circumstances. Forget unprofessional, while the man is clearly hurting he's basically saying, "listen Cleveland, we're you!" He's creating a siege mentality that will bring out defiance and if there is one thing you need in a depression it a group of people who will stand together in defiance of their situation.

Total and utter respect Dan.
Agreed. Cleveland is hurting right now:

Miami-Bound LeBron Breaks Hearts In Cleveland

by Tom Goldman (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=2100552)

http://i27.tinypic.com/dpzp61.jpg
July 9, 2010

In the end, it took all of 11 seconds, but the fallout in two American cities may last for years.

LeBron James announced last night on ESPN that he's leaving the Cleveland Cavaliers and heading to the Miami Heat to form a new power trio with fellow star players Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh.

The reaction in both cities has been seismic.

Miami is a bit sunnier today if that's even possible, while in Cleveland, where James played for seven years, there is a new layer of bitterness in a place where sports and hard luck have gone together for many years.
James, Wade and Bosh all structured their contracts so they'd be free agents at the same time. Speculation and rumor by sports reporters over which team would score the NBA's most coveted free agent drove sports fans delirious with anticipation.

"LeBron? What's your decision," the ESPN announcer said after what seemed like endless delay.

At 9:27 p.m., he broke Ohio's heart

"This fall — man, this is very tough — this fall, I'm going to take my talents to South Beach and join the Miami Heat."

Answer in hand, the questions began: LeBron, why Miami?

"I felt like this is going to give me the best opportunity to win and to win for multiple years. I want to be able to win championships and I feel like I can compete down there."

Cleveland — a city that last won a major professional sports championship in 1964, a city whose sports failures are cataloged in one-word descriptions like The Drive, The Fumble, The Shot — now has The Decision.

For the hundreds of people watching at Harry Buffalo, a bar right next to the Cleveland Cavaliers' home arena, the night was over as soon as James uttered the words that chilled them to the core: "South Beach."

"I feel like my heart's been ripped out, stomped on and everything," said Stephanie Ramos, who was near tears. "I can't even believe that he couldn't be loyal and try to win a … I feel like 10 championships there wouldn't equal to one that he could've gotten here."

During his post-decision interview, James — who has the word "loyalty" tattooed on his chest — watched a video of a Clevelander burning his Cavaliers jersey. "I can't get involved in that," he responded. But James said he gave the franchise everything in his seven years there and understands the pain his decision is causing.

"I feel awful that I’m leaving. I feel even worse that I wasn't able to bring an NBA championship to that city because I know they've been wanting it a long time," he said. "To my real fans out there, I hope you guys continue to support me all the way in Miami, and I guess I’ll see you guys, you know, this fall."

It's bound to be an icy welcome when Miami visits Cleveland — and not just from fans.

On the Cavaliers' website, Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert wrote a blistering open letter in which he called James' decision a cowardly betrayal and a shameful display of selfishness by one of our own. Gilbert also personally guaranteed that Cleveland will win an NBA title before the "self-declared former 'King'" wins one.

Considering how the Cavs' heart and soul has been transplanted to Miami and how the Heat now have to be part of any championship conversation, Gilbert and his team are going to need a lot more than angry words.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128404915

knickzrulezH20
Jul 09, 2010, 09:46
You know why the Toronto Raptors didn't write an unprofessional letter about Chris Bosh leaving them? Because Bosh didn't dedicate a one hour special about him on ESPN telling the world that he's leaving. Had Bron chosen Miami without the spectacle, I'm sure Gilbert's letter would have been contrite, not angered. But Lebron embarrased Cleveland fans. Gilbert has the right to stand up for his depressed fans, and do something to give them hope. Sadly this team will suck for at least another 4-5 years. The post-Bron years will NOT be pretty.

petescud
Jul 09, 2010, 10:15
I think what Mr Gilbert said was really motivating to those poor Cleveland fans. We;ll see what he put together. In the meantime, LeBron wins a Ring, loses credibility, and his numbers will suffer playing alongside Bosh and Wade. I personally hope its a nightmare for them all...I live 4 hrs from Miami but grew up 30 minutes from MSG

Real NY Baller
Jul 09, 2010, 10:32
Lebron doesn’t owe anyone anything. He put ffice:smarttags" />lace w:st="on">Cleveland</ST1:place> on the map in more ways than we can possibly count. Players play to win championships, no one is promised tomorrow and injuries can change your game and your life in a minute.

I commend him on his unselfishness and commitments. The fans just need to realize it’s a business; wouldn’t you put your self in position for the best deal too? People need to grow up, and learn what’s more important in their life…
I don't know who is more childess...the cleveland owner, the NY media or the fans trying to live their dreams out thru some kid trying to make his dream own dream come true.

People are phoney, they worshipped and begged for the last 2 years, and now they say "who cares!!?" lol

now if thats not some baby tantrum...I don't know what is...