PDA

View Full Version : D'Antoni must adapt & win

richtree
Jul 19, 2010, 13:57
The Knicks have a push and go point guard. A go to big man and a strong bench.

IT IS TIME FOR D'ANTONI TO PUT HIS EGO ASIDE AND NOT PLAY SUCH A SHORT ROTATION.

The knicks can go 10 deep and run team off the court for the first 3 quarters.

If we learned anything from watching the Celtics over the last 3 seasons is that we can run and play tought Defense by rotating the 10 men in and out of the game based on matchups.

LOOK how important Nate, Tony Allen, Perkins, Davis have become when everyone is given a role and not written out of the rotation before the game starts.

Obvoiusly with Curry's contact and the log jam at the 3 SPot there willl be a move made for a conventional 2 Guard/or Draft Picks.

Last year Mikey D was talking playoffs and couldn't even get to the All Star break in contention.

This year lets play 10 men with tought defense and run until the last 5 minutes of every game.

Then we get Felton, Gallo, Amare and the 2 best matchups for the 4th quarter...

If we aren't a 6 seed (or higher) it will be alittle dissappointing... We have the foundation for success now we need MIkey D to move these guys into the playoffs.

Lets go Knicks

Blumatic
Jul 19, 2010, 14:36
Yea but you talking about a team with a solid foundation of talent and leadership with KG, Ray, and Pierce. When you have Nate, Jamaal, Marbury and Curry as your best players and foundation with the 6-12 man being of less talent then you cant win.

Nate was leader and arguably best player. He is not a championship leader. He had trouble beinga championship follower. (Game 4 tech. Foul by grilling Odom). Cant do that.

Most of the players Mike had problems with were no franchise players and all had issues with previous coaches, (all players collected by Isiah and former teams couldn't wait to get rid of.)

richtree
Jul 19, 2010, 15:17
Yea but you talking about a team with a solid foundation of talent and leadership with KG, Ray, and Pierce. When you have Nate, Jamaal, Marbury and Curry as your best players and foundation with the 6-12 man being of less talent then you cant win.

Nate was leader and arguably best player. He is not a championship leader. He had trouble beinga championship follower. (Game 4 tech. Foul by grilling Odom). Cant do that.

Most of the players Mike had problems with were no franchise players and all had issues with previous coaches, (all players collected by Isiah and former teams couldn't wait to get rid of.)

I am not saying he had the best group, but he definately did not get the most out of them.

Now he has youth, ability and depth. His stubborn-ness better not ruin this team's potential this season.

Any coach could go .500 with this Knick team. Lets see what he can do.

Blumatic
Jul 19, 2010, 15:44
I agree this team is .500 or better.

The Chaney, Wilkens, Brown, Isiah team: their level of play was maxed out. Those teams sucked. That was the best they could do.

ronoranina
Jul 19, 2010, 19:34
I agree that he should go deeper more consistently to his bench if the talent allows. This running style of O wears players out. The more D'ant can minimize attrition to this team over the long haul the better.

This would seem somewhat intuitive, but coach D seems to always narrow his list of trust-worthy players to about 8. Sux. I'm hoping for what you're proposing.. :thumbsup:

upheaval
Jul 19, 2010, 20:01
i agree that he needs to lengthen his rotation, but i don't think he will. he is one of the most stubborn coaches in the nba and has shown he can't adapt to the roster he has.

kingDOM312580
Jul 19, 2010, 20:21
I agree a 10 man rotation is imperative with Mike D's style of play. Rather then worrying about match-ups, coach should look at chemistry and develop a distinct 5 man second unit.

We may not have the best 1st unit, but looking over this years roster we could have one of the better second units in basketball.

Crazy⑧s
Jul 19, 2010, 22:47
The Knicks have a push and go point guard. A go to big man and a strong bench.

IT IS TIME FOR D'ANTONI TO PUT HIS EGO ASIDE AND NOT PLAY SUCH A SHORT ROTATION.

The knicks can go 10 deep and run team off the court for the first 3 quarters.

If we learned anything from watching the Celtics over the last 3 seasons is that we can run and play tought Defense by rotating the 10 men in and out of the game based on matchups.

LOOK how important Nate, Tony Allen, Perkins, Davis have become when everyone is given a role and not written out of the rotation before the game starts.

Obvoiusly with Curry's contact and the log jam at the 3 SPot there willl be a move made for a conventional 2 Guard/or Draft Picks.

Last year Mikey D was talking playoffs and couldn't even get to the All Star break in contention.

This year lets play 10 men with tought defense and run until the last 5 minutes of every game.

Then we get Felton, Gallo, Amare and the 2 best matchups for the 4th quarter...

If we aren't a 6 seed (or higher) it will be alittle dissappointing... We have the foundation for success now we need MIkey D to move these guys into the playoffs.

Lets go Knicks

Nicely put.

Suns' coach, Alvin Gentry, showed what can be achieved in D'Antoni's system with a reliable 2nd unit. It's fair to say that the 2nd unit on the Suns now is better than any D'Antoni had, however.

Our starting 5 doesn't quite match up to Phoenix's, but the depth of the bench (bar the 2 spot) is arguably even better.

Why change what worked, Gentry says, pointing to D'Antoni's four full Suns seasons that averaged 58 wins and ignoring how the Suns tried change with Shaquille O'Neal and Terry Porter.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2010/03/25/20100325phoenix-suns-alvin-gentry-system.html#ixzz0uBsUd6q4

It'll all come down to a winning mindset, creativity and a willingness for change from Mike D.

Gentry ironed out the flaws from the D'Antoni system. Hopefully D'Antoni took notice and will adjust for the sake of winning.

If not, it could be a bitter farewell from The Apple.

DontForgetDerekHarper
Jul 20, 2010, 00:04
I Dont get it I felt like last year and the year before he did go ten deep most games, I recall on more nights than not he would play 9 - 10 guys regularly. I took the time to look at some box scores, and the only nights he would play 8 guys was if we had a strong first quarter and would win a game. Other than that if matchups were against us you would see him stretch the bench.

DontForgetDerekHarper
Jul 20, 2010, 00:04
I think adaptation is a good word to use, but I believe Mike Does adapt, the only issue has been what it has been for many years

our roster consisted of really terrible basketball players lol.

jpz17
Jul 20, 2010, 08:24
I think adaptation is a good word to use, but I believe Mike Does adapt, the only issue has been what it has been for many years

our roster consisted of really terrible basketball players lol.

well listen. Mike knows what he is doing. The only thing I wish is that he would be a little more cool with his players. Not get in fights with them and bench them....

richtree
Jul 20, 2010, 10:05
well listen. Mike knows what he is doing. The only thing I wish is that he would be a little more cool with his players. Not get in fights with them and bench them....

YEs, as a coach you want options. No need to bench guys when they could be a potential good matchup.

KBlack25
Jul 20, 2010, 10:19
What frustrated me last year was D'Antoni's refusal to change things when it was clear it wasn't working...

When he benched Nate at first, I was fine, because we won games...but then Duhon started to play awful, there was no reason for him not to let Douglas or Nate take over the slot...they couldn't have been WORSE than Duhon (even if they wound up being as bad).

This year, I feel like our bench is deeper, hopefully he elects to play closer to a 10-man rotation.

Real NY Baller
Jul 20, 2010, 13:56
I predict his arrogance will expose more of his inabilities to coach. I love it when coaches allow their players to play to their strengths...but thats all he ever does. He's not one of them creative guys that can come up with a scheme in the heat of the moment. He just puts pressure on his best players to make better choices on the court. pass, pass, pass the rock around until theres an easy shot...

He aquired a bunch of defensive players hoping their natural talents to play "D" will make up for his lack of defensive plays and over shadow his short comings.

richtree
Jul 20, 2010, 14:03
I honestly don't mind the run and gun style.

I think he does want to play solid defense, and without that controversial call with Horry and the Spurs he may be considered a much better coach and Amare may be considered an Elite big man.

I question is short rotation because you must adapt to personell.

I also question his ablitiy to stop runs or create a run based on matchups.

I remember he wouldn't pull Chandler out of the PF spot and Dirk was abusing him. Then we we are having trouble shooting he continued to play Chandler at the 2 guard with a PG that couldn't shoot.

This team has a great deal of POTENTIAL.

It is Coach D'Antoni's job to get them most out of this group and be ready for the playoffs.

good luck boyz

LJ4ptplay
Jul 20, 2010, 14:06
I don't see our bench as deep as everyone else. Douglas, Azibuke and Randolph are guaranteed many minutes. Felton, Chandler, Gallo, Amare and Turiaf as starters.

That's an eight man rotation. Who else? Curry is useless, don't expect him to play much. The rookies are only good for garbage time. Mozgov is a project, he's only coming in for garbage time.

Where is this deep bench everyone keeps talking about? It's still an 8/9 man rotation.

nyk_nyk
Jul 20, 2010, 14:23
I don't see our bench as deep as everyone else. Douglas, Azibuke and Randolph are guaranteed many minutes. Felton, Chandler, Gallo, Amare and Turiaf as starters.

That's an eight man rotation. Who else? Curry is useless, don't expect him to play much. The rookies are only good for garbage time. Mozgov is a project, he's only coming in for garbage time.

Where is this deep bench everyone keeps talking about? It's still an 8/9 man rotation.

You forgot Walker. I'm betting he improves a lot from last season.

LJ4ptplay
Jul 20, 2010, 15:04
You forgot Walker. I'm betting he improves a lot from last season.

Oh yeah. Thanks. I always forget about Walker.

It's still a 9 man rotation though.