Fernandez wants to be a Knick

Paul1355

All Star
1 15 <!-- ARTICLE POST -->
<!-- /.icon --> Fernandez Update

By Tommy Dee on Aug 01, 2010, 10:33 am

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0" width="340" height="285">

<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r3WSKgRf1xw&hl=en_US&fs=1" allowfullscreen="true" width="340" height="285"></object>
Multiple sources indicate that Rudy Fernandez will be traded and that may come as early as this week.</p> The team on top of his wish list?
The Knicks
?Rudy wants to be in NY and his people are trying to force it,? a source close to the situation said. ?But Portland isn?t in love with anything the Knicks have including Wilson Chandler.?
Other teams involved are the Celtics and the Bulls, but Fernandez prefers NY.
?He?d be okay with Chicago if he got to start,? another source said. ?But he?d come to NY either way, starting or off the bench. He really wants NY.?
There was a report that the Celtics are in the lead or that they have an agreement to deal Avery Bradley for Fernandez. Neither appear to be the case from what I?m hearing. He wouldn?t start in Boston.
But in order for the Knicks to get a deal done, it looks like they have to step their offer up if they want bring Fernandez, who wants to be here, to the Big Apple.

If Rudy really wants to be in NY then Donnie has to pull the trigger. I like what we have in Azabuke, Walker, and Fields playing some SG minutes but Fernandez would be the best 2 guard on our team if he was traded here.

I can see a package of maybe Chandler and a 2nd round pick, or Bill Walker, Rautins, and a 2nd round....either way I know if Donnie wants to do this then he can make it happen.

And a player can only come to one team if he tries to force it, and that is what Rudy is trying to do.

DISCUSS

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Portland is a difficult team to trade with. I thought it was just Pritchard but I think it's the owner. They try to screw everybody they deal with and have no comprehension of a two-way-fair trade.

Don't we have 3 or 4 2nd round picks (ours + 2 from GS and 1 from Phx)? I don't see why we couldn't send them 3 2nd round picks for Rudy. Portland could then package them later for a late 1st rounder, which is what they are asking for anyway.

Please, Donnie. Make this happen. But don't overpay. If we can keep Chandler and add Rudy....DAMN!!! We are looking good!

PG-Felton
SG-Rudy
SF-Gallo
PF-Amare
C-Randolph

w/ Douglas, Azibuke, Chandler and Turiaf off the bench.

That's solid!

He's the perfect match. Rudy knows it too. Not only would it be great for his career but he would really help the Knicks. Make it happen. Don't let Chicago or Boston get him.

.spree.

Rookie
why do people keep listing randolph as a center? he's 210 lbs...

i do like rudy as the starting 2 though, we need a better 3 point shooter than chandler at the 2.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
LJ i'm beginning to wonder about you... First of all you keep putting AR in your projected starting lineup. He ain't ready for that, okay. Next you say you wanna give them three second round picks for Rudy?!? Common dude, Rudy is not worth that..

keyser soze

Benchwarmer
Two problems:

1) I'm not the least bit interested in giving up anyone more valuable than Chandler for Rudy Fernandez. In fact, I'm not thrilled with the idea of even giving up Chandler for Fernandez, as Chandler is clearly a better all-around player than Rudy is (despite not being nearly as good of a shooter). And, according to Alan Hahn, the Knicks don't want to give up Chandler for Rudy, either. The Knicks are reportedly pretty high on Chandler, and qutie frankly, I don't blame them.

2) We don't really have the draft pick flexibility to be trading future 1st round picks away. We already have two of them tied up with Houston. That's enough. I'm really only interested in including future 1st round picks in deals for franchise players like Chris Paul and Carmelo Anthony.

johnstarky

Rotation player
KnicksOnline would be rocking if Rudy says that he will be taking his talents to the Big Apple.I think they should air a one hour special for him and broadcast it on this forum.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
why do people keep listing randolph as a center? he's 210 lbs...

i do like rudy as the starting 2 though, we need a better 3 point shooter than chandler at the 2.

Apparently Randolph put on 20 lbs of muscle during the offseason. If that's true, that puts him at 230 lbs. 6'11", 230 lbs is enough to play C in D'Antoni's system. Earl Barron isn't much bigger.

LJ i'm beginning to wonder about you... First of all you keep putting AR in your projected starting lineup. He ain't ready for that, okay. Next you say you wanna give them three second round picks for Rudy?!? Common dude, Rudy is not worth that..

Why is Randolph not ready to start? His primary responsibilities for this team will be to rebound and block shots.

I agree that 3 picks is too much but the point about giving 3 2nd round picks is that we have assets to give. Since they don't want Chandler and want a 1st round pick and we don't have a 1st round pick to give, we don't have to give up. There are options. He wants to be here, we want him here, we don't want to give up Chandler, they don't want Chandler....make it work.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Fair enough on the picks issue, but this AR BS needs to stop. I have serious doubts about this guy's ability to play center against real NBA first team centers. He has not proven he can do this.

I mean, if we play Milwaukee and their throwing Bogut at us, do you really want him starting? Bogut is a legit all-star center who plays down low. Combine that w the fact the kid plays NO LOW-POST DEFENSE and that = AR's lunch eaten which in turn = we're down 10 or 15 in the first quarter! Stop.

What about other 5's like Lopez, Kaman...? Common!

And forget STAT guarding 5's if we start AR. I don't want that!

AR can come off the bench and play some 5, but not start. Turiaf should start, unless he's traded ofcourse. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I would be fine with Turiaf starting. But he's only good for about 25 min a game. Randolph is about the same size as Camby now. Camby is listed at 6'11 235 lbs and Randolph is listed at 6'11" 230 lbs. When Camby was playing for the Knicks he was smaller than Randolph is now.

Sure, he needs to work on his low-post defense. But you also have to take into consideration the advantage he will have on the offensive end with his quickness. It's a two way street.

I think Randolph needs to strive for eventually being our starting C. A man with his size and skill set should be getting starter's minutes.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
I would be fine with Turiaf starting. But he's only good for about 25 min a game. Randolph is about the same size as Camby now. Camby is listed at 6'11 235 lbs and Randolph is listed at 6'11" 230 lbs. When Camby was playing for the Knicks he was smaller than Randolph is now.

Sure, he needs to work on his low-post defense. But you also have to take into consideration the advantage he will have on the offensive end with his quickness. It's a two way street.

I think Randolph needs to strive for eventually being our starting C. A man with his size and skill set should be getting starter's minutes.

Agreed. He does need to be the starter w his abilities. He just needs to round out his game, w work. I want him to get there too.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee

Good point. Camby's quickness and timing are key to his success. Randolph at 21 has time to improve on his timing. Quickness obviously isn't an issue, he moves and jumps as quickly as Camby ever did. He's already better than Camby is or was on offense. The defence will come with experience.

Practicing with Mozgov will be paramount in his learning curves for playing against 250-260+lb, taller opponents.

Stat, at 247lbs will be able to swap to defensive center against heavier opponents as well, with Randolph playing against PFs with mid range games. His length and footwork will make a player like Garnett's or Nowitzki's triple threat less effective.

It's all there for him, he just has to want to do it as much as NYK fans want him to.

Paul1355

All Star
Fair enough on the picks issue, but this AR BS needs to stop. I have serious doubts about this guy's ability to play center against real NBA first team centers. He has not proven he can do this.

I mean, if we play Milwaukee and their throwing Bogut at us, do you really want him starting? Bogut is a legit all-star center who plays down low. Combine that w the fact the kid plays NO LOW-POST DEFENSE and that = AR's lunch eaten which in turn = we're down 10 or 15 in the first quarter! Stop.

What about other 5's like Lopez, Kaman...? Common!

And forget STAT guarding 5's if we start AR. I don't want that!

AR can come off the bench and play some 5, but not start. Turiaf should start, unless he's traded ofcourse. :thumbsup:
Stop thinking about Anthony Randolph not having the strength to play center because he makes up for it with his long arms and crazy athleticism.....most big men cant even keep up with a 7 foot guard type which is what Randolph is....just imagine the fast breaks with Amare and randolph sprinting down the court, every opposing team's big men will be lagging behind trying to catch their breath...think about it.

And Randolph is a very good shotblocker and has blocked everyone from Tyrus Thomas to Kobe Bryant so if he can block Kobe, then I am confident he can block any center in the league.
And IF randolph is ever getting posted up too much then we can bring in Turiaf or the Russian giant Mozgov who wont get bullied in the post.

Randolph's numbers as a sixth man(22 min) in 33 games were ridiculous.

11 ppg 6.5 rebounds and 1.5 blocks.....now put that into starters minutes and you easily have a 15 ppg 9 rebounds...2-3 blocks per game type player.

That is starter material and even all star material if he excels in the system early or in a few years.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Stop thinking about Anthony Randolph not having the strength to play center because he makes up for it with his long arms and crazy athleticism.....most big men cant even keep up with a 7 foot guard type which is what Randolph is....just imagine the fast breaks with Amare and randolph sprinting down the court, every opposing team's big men will be lagging behind trying to catch their breath...think about it.

And Randolph is a very good shotblocker and has blocked everyone from Tyrus Thomas to Kobe Bryant so if he can block Kobe, then I am confident he can block any center in the league.
And IF randolph is ever getting posted up too much then we can bring in Turiaf or the Russian giant Mozgov who wont get bullied in the post.

Randolph's numbers as a sixth man(22 min) in 33 games were ridiculous.

11 ppg 6.5 rebounds and 1.5 blocks.....now put that into starters minutes and you easily have a 15 ppg 9 rebounds...2-3 blocks per game type player.

That is starter material and even all star material if he excels in the system early or in a few years.

Exactly. This is exactly why I'm comfortable with Felton at the point and I want us to keep Gallo and Randolph.

But some folks on here are in love with CP3, rightly so, but I don't think any one player is worth losing a chunk of your young talent for, especially when it comes to losing a guy with Randolph's assets.

Just ask the fans and beat writers in Oakland how they felt about losing Randolph. They were damn near crying bloody murder.

New New York

Quiet Storm
how can Rudy really "force a move to NY"?

Plus as we shouldve learned from the Isiah Thomas regime it is bad Karma for us to get a player here who demanded a move to NY

Examples:
Eddy Curry
Jared Jeff (he made Washington not match NY's offer to him)

The fact that he is being so bratty kinda turns me away

XxWinKnicksxX

Benchwarmer
this rudy fernandez can ball. He don't look like much but I dig his game. I'm just judging off a video though. I wonder how he looks every night for a whole game. But he made some moves that made me laugh, like is this dude really doing that. HAHAAA just WIN KNICKS

nyk_nyk

All Star
I disagree with most people here about AR. I DO NOT want him playing center, simply because he has a broad skill set. Why handcuff him offensively at the 5 when his talents are better utilized playing the 3 or 4?

AR isn't a good low post defender. He excells in transition defense and on help defense. Just because he's 6-10, dosen't mean the center position is the best fit for him. I'd rather see him working outside in, especially with his speed and finishing ability.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I disagree with most people here about AR. I DO NOT want him playing center, simply because he has a broad skill set. Why handcuff him offensively at the 5 when his talents are better utilized playing the 3 or 4?

AR isn't a good low post defender. He excells in transition defense and on help defense. Just because he's 6-10, dosen't mean the center position is the best fit for him. I'd rather see him working outside in, especially with his speed and finishing ability.

Just because he is a 5 doesn't mean he can't play outside in, especially in this system. See Earl Barron. In fact, D'Antoni will probably want it so it opens up the lane for Felton to penetrate or pick-and-roll with Amare.

I definitely don't see him as a 3. 6'11" and 230 lbs with limited outside range. He's a 4 or 5. But Amare will be our 4. He's already said he doesn't want to play C. So that leaves us with either Turiaf, Mozgov, Curry or Randolph as our starting C.