Who would you rather have, and why?

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
I think it's time we put it out there clearly and succinctly where we stand on Carmelo Anthony and Chris Paul in one thread.

If I had to choose one, I would want Paul. He's the better all-around player IMHO.

They are both great, but Melo is a bit one dimensional. While I don't think Melo is quite Glen Robinson like, as I've heard floated around recently, defensively he leaves a little to be desired and he does not facilitate offense for others. Having said that, Melo is one of the greatest scorers I've ever seen. He reminds of Benard King w his ability to dominate players offensively.

I think Paul brings more to a team due to his ability to get others involved. He can score unbelievably well from outside and inside and he plays really solid defense. You rarely see Paul get broken down one on one. If he does let his man go he leads him right to the help. He did this more noticeably when NO had Chandler. I would add that he was all-defensive first team in 09'.

Lastly, I feel that having a great, HOF PG (ala Magic and Isiah) is more important in this case than having the great scorer @ SF. While I agree that having a great scoring wing player is important. I think they must also be able to get others in the mix and MELO DOES NOT DO THIS.. Jordan could, Kobe can and so can Wade, all while still being dominating forces offensively. I'm not sure he will ever grow into that kind of player.

So, Melo has a ways to go w regards to elevating teammates. This is the next step for him. Paul to me, already has this asset in droves.

Last edited:

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Whichever one comes via a fresh contract as opposed to a trade.

And Melo might not be a defensive minded player but he is far from one dimensional. He can post and toast, drive and score, or shoot from a standstill. He can't be guarded. The only person that can stop Melo, is Melo.

So if Felton works out then I'll go for Melo via FA next year, or for Curry's contract and Gallo or Chandler (maybe both) at the trade deadline, and only if we don't have to take back a bad contract.

If Gallo shows signs of a developing post game then I give him every opportunity to prove himself and I'll go after Paul only if we can move Felton and not trade Gallo or Randolph, or take back any bad contracts. Because Gallo is a post game and the "I'm going to drive and get mine" mentality away from being unguardable.

Different circumstances dictate which player you go after and how you go after them. You can't just sit back and say "oh I like this guy more than him...let's make this happen."

While I agree that CP3 directly makes his teammates better, it's not only because of his superb passing but also because he is forced to be ball dominant because the offense runs through him and he has the ball in his hands a lot. So naturally he'd better make his teammates better, otherwise you'd have a ton of bad possessions. He can't do it by himself. I don't want to put Melo in a situation where he has to make his teammates better, I don't want him handling the rock most of the time, I want someone with his versatility playing off of the ball.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Whichever one comes via a fresh contract as opposed to a trade.

And Melo might not be a defensive minded player but he is far from one dimensional. He can post and toast, drive and score, or shoot from a standstill. He can't be guarded. The only person that can stop Melo, is Melo.

So if Felton works out then I'll go for Melo via FA next year, or for Curry's contract and Gallo or Chandler (maybe both) at the trade deadline, and only if we don't have to take back a bad contract.

If Gallo shows signs of a developing post game then I give him every opportunity to prove himself and I'll go after Paul only if we can move Felton and not trade Gallo or Randolph, or take back any bad contracts. Because Gallo is a post game and the "I'm going to drive and get mine" mentality away from being unguardable.

Different circumstances dictate which player you go after and how you go after them. You can't just sit back and say "oh I like this guy more than him...let's make this happen."

While I agree that CP3 directly makes his teammates better, it's not only because of his superb passing but also because he is forced to be ball dominant because the offense runs through him and he has the ball in his hands a lot. So naturally he'd better make his teammates better, otherwise you'd have a ton of bad possessions. He can't do it by himself. I don't want to put Melo in a situation where he has to make his teammates better, I don't want him handling the rock most of the time, I want someone with his versatility playing off of the ball.

I meant that he is one dimensional in that he only scores. He doesn't defend that well and he doesn't facilitate for others. That's all I was trying to say.

And I understand the reality we are facing as far as what it would take to get these guys. This thread was created so that we could flesh out what it is we like and don't like about both players and how that would apply to the Knicks on the court. I didn't mean this to be another 'what it would take to get them' thread. Aight Nuck?? :thumbsup:

nuckles2k2

Superstar
I meant that he is one dimensional in that he only scores. He doesn't defend that well and he doesn't facilitate for others. That's all I was trying to say.

And I understand the reality we are facing as far as what it would take to get these guys. This thread was created so that we could flesh out what it is we like and don't like about both players and how that would apply to the Knicks on the court. I didn't mean this to be another 'what it would take to get them' thread. Aight Nuck?? :thumbsup:

I get what you're saying, but my original quote still stands. They both bring different things to the court and right now we don't know which we'd be better off with because we don't know what our current roster looks like on the court together.

If Gallo doesn't progress and add more to his game then we could look into acquiring Mello's versatility, if Felton is looking overwhelmed running the offense but everyone else is primed and ready to go, then we should look into getting CP3 to run the point effectively. It's almost impossible to say which one would be a better fit right now because we haven't seen the current product on the court.

Now if you're just saying, "generally speaking, which player do you like?" That's different.

Generally speaking I'd go more with the wing player, or big man, since they seem to have more of an impact in a 7 game series and just on a winning team overall. It's nice to have a HOF caliber PG, but that doesn't seem like a necessity in today's NBA to win a ring. So instead of dumbing a lot of funds into a future HOF PG, I'd rather disperse that money around the team and have a quality PG that won't command $14m+ a season.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
I get what you're saying, but my original quote still stands. They both bring different things to the court and right now we don't know which we'd be better off with because we don't know what our current roster looks like on the court together.

If Gallo doesn't progress and add more to his game then we could look into acquiring Mello's versatility, if Felton is looking overwhelmed running the offense but everyone else is primed and ready to go, then we should look into getting CP3 to run the point effectively. It's almost impossible to say which one would be a better fit right now because we haven't seen the current product on the court.

Now if you're just saying, "generally speaking, which player do you like?" That's different.

Generally speaking I'd go more with the wing player, or big man, since they seem to have more of an impact in a 7 game series and just on a winning team overall. It's nice to have a HOF caliber PG, but that doesn't seem like a necessity in today's NBA to win a ring. So instead of dumbing a lot of funds into a future HOF PG, I'd rather disperse that money around the team and have a quality PG that won't command $14m+ a season.

There you go again (sighs)...

I'm asking the question very generally infact. None of us knows what will happen when the season starts. Pls don't over-complicate. This is not rocket science.

It's okay that we don't know how the players will gel yet. Just be imaginative and try to prognosticate based on what you already know about them, their coach and the system they're in. I think that's what we all try to do, some better than others..

Last edited:

nuckles2k2

Superstar
That's not specific to this situation. If I have to choose between a PG and wing player/big man I'm going to give the wing/big a closer look than the PG everytime.

Give me a solid distributor who I don't have to pay $14m+ to and I'll flesh out the team with the money I saved. So generally speaking I'd take the all-star wingman or big, over the all-star point guard. Unless I already have players in place at the same spot as the all-star or big, then I'll supplement my roster with the all-star PG.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
And you can prognosticate (pure guess work) all you want, but I'm just talking about building a solid team. In the case of this current Knicks roster, I'd go after the guy that fills the void (if there is one) on the team. Generally speaking I'd pursue the wingman or big, before the PG, if they were all on a perennial all-star level.

No guess work involved.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Let me rank the NBA's best just to let all of you know where I stand as far as a definitive list goes:

1. Kobe
2. Wade
3. Lebron
4. Howard
5. Paul
6. Durant
7. Gasol
8. Dirk
9. Melo
10. Nash
11. Bosh
12. STAT
13. D. Williams
14. B. Roy
15. Bogut

bboycustom92

Benchwarmer
We just got a capable PG in Felton... I think he'll flourish in this system and become a all star in this league. He's also a well disciplined player who doesn't complain... CP3 is crying like a little girl and wants to go to a winning team instead of making his team a winning team. So i rather have Felton then CP3. Now if Melo can play the 2... I think that'll be better for the team. This way we have a crazy line up. And it comes without a trade

Felton
Melo
Gallo
Amare
Randolph(if he can play center) if not Turiaf

with the great bench of
Turiaf*, Chandler, Mason*, Douglas, Azzy*
great deep team... we don't need cp3 and we can get melo from FA

shaolin

Benchwarmer
If CP3 is healthy, I would pick him up over Melo in most cases. But, like someone said, if Felton works out like I think he will (16.5 ppg, 8+ apg, 3 rpg), I would pick Melo. I like the comparison with Bernard King - probably the most underrated player of all time. King had better handles though, but still a decent comparison.

I couldn't honestly answer this question without knowing the conditon of Cris's knee and how rusty he's become. Mello is a talented small bigman that can rotate from the SG to PF... in this current system. A big plus is that he's healthy. don't tell me you don't want to see Mello throw it down on Lebron this winter...at the Garden.

Anyway, the PG is only suppose to distribute the rock and take the occassional open shot. Felton might fit well in this role, so that postition seems to be already filled.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
I couldn't honestly answer this question without knowing the conditon of Cris's knee and how rusty he's become. Mello is a talented small bigman that can rotate from the SG to PF... in this current system. A big plus is that he's healthy. don't tell me you don't want to see Mello throw it down on Lebron this winter...at the Garden.

Anyway, the PG is only suppose to distribute the rock and take the occassional open shot. Felton might fit well in this role, so that postition seems to be already filled.

I would love to see Melo drop it on Lebron..

The biggest reason I would like to have Melo is that we would have that consistent scoring threat to keep us in most games even if the team didn't play well for stretches. Also if we got down double digits we'd be more of threat to come back and win, not just come back only to lose games as we did many times last year and the year before.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Carmelo Anthony is the better player. However, I'd rather have Chris Paul.
Anthony is kind of boring to watch, as great as he is.

Paul is much more entertaining, even though he's not as dominant.

Point guards rarely win championships, or even take teams to the finals, though.

The NBA is all about size. The teams with the big, dominant players almost always win the championship. Just look at the Spurs, Lakers, Rockets(1990s), Heat, and Celtics. The only team in recent history that has won a championship with a point guard as the leader is the Detroit Pistons with Isiah Thomas. That's really the only exception to the rule.

The Knicks already have a point guard, so I don't really care if the Knicks get Paul, though.

jolly man

Rookie
Gimme CP3 over Melo any day. Melo is just a scorer.

Paul's kind of a baby, but I'm sick of mediocrity. Paul > Melo IMHO.

Mello, he's a New Yorker with no injury problems in the past. As great a PG that C.Paul is he hasn't shown much durability. Both are great player's , but I'd go Mello if the choice was between the two.

Paul1355

All Star
I think it's time we put it out there clearly and succinctly where we stand on Carmelo Anthony and Chris Paul in one thread.

If I had to choose one, I would want Paul. He's the better all-around player IMHO.

They are both great, but Melo is a bit one dimensional. While I don't think Melo is quite Glen Robinson like, as I've heard floated around recently, Melo is one of the greatest scorers I've ever seen. He reminds of Benard King w his ability to dominate players offensively. Defensively however, he leaves a little to be desired and he does not facilitate offense for others.

I think Paul brings more to a team due to his ability to get others involved. He can score unbelievably well from outside and inside and he plays really solid defense. You rarely see Paul get broken down one on one. If he does let his man go he leads him right to the help. He did this more noticeably when NO had Chandler. I would add that he was all-defensive first team in 09'.

Lastly, I feel that having a great, HOF PG (ala Magic and Isiah) is more important than having the great scorer @ SF. While I agree that having a great scoring wing player is important. I think they must also be able to get others in the mix and MELO DOES NOT DO THIS.. Jordan could, Kobe can and so can Wade, all while still being dominating forces offensively. I'm not sure he will ever grow into that kind of player.

So, Melo has a ways to go w regards to elevating teammates. This is the next step for him. Paul to me, already has this asset in droves.
Not even close, you have to go with Chris Paul...he is THE BEST point guard in the NBA and teaming him up with Amare is a beast combination

Melo wouldnt make Amare that much better, if anything Amare would make Melo better by drawing men in the post-giving Melo open shots outside.

BUT

Felton-Melo-Amare is very good and is just under a Paul-Gallo-Amare combo.

keyser soze

Benchwarmer
One of my posts from another thread sums up my point of view on the issue at hand rather nicely:

Carmelo Anthony is an elite wing player and the NBA is an elite wing player league.

When is the last time a dominant point guard lead a team to an NBA title? Isiah Thomas and the Pistons in 1989-1990?

When is the last team an NBA championship team featured a hall of fame point guard?? Isiah Thomas again?

Now ask yourself the same questions regarding dominant wing players

Bottom Line: I'd take Carmelo over CP3 in an instant but I'd be thrilled with either one.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Seeing that we've already signed Stat for a grillion dollars for 5 years, I'd take Paul.

Otherwise they'd have to change the team name to the New York Isolation Plays. I really can't see a whole lot of team cohesion going on with 2 (occasionally) selfish, offensive minded focal points on the floor.