NBA investigating Isiah "consultant" signing

Paul1355

All Star
NBA.com - Posted by Art Garcia
Something just doesn?t smell right about the latest news involving Isiah Thomas. It?s rather fishy, if you ask me.
The Knicks rehired Thomas today as a consultant after firing him as coach and team president two years ago. That?s weird in and of itself, given the disaster that was Zeke?s reign in New York, which culminated in a sexual harassment suit that cost MSG more than $11 million.
The really odd twist is that Thomas is staying on as coach at Florida International. Thomas said he?ll be an evaluator of talent and recruiter for the Knicks. Well, that?s already part of his job with the Golden Panthers, who were 7-25 in Thomas? first season. Performing those duties for an NBA team as well possibly sets up some serious conflicts of interest.
The league office is definitely interested in this unique arrangement having an NBA employee directly coaching NCAA athletes.
?We are reviewing the agreement, in consultation with the Knicks, for compliance with league rules,? league spokesman Tim Frank said via email.
NBA teams hiring college coaches could open doors the league and the NCAA don?t want open. Let?s say the Lakers wanted to bring on Mike Krzyzewski as a consultant. What would that mean for the Lakers? knowledge of current Duke players? Would it help ?recruit? former players in free agency?
Something tells us this Isiah-Knicks deal doesn?t hold. Stay tuned.

-End of article

If the NBA can stop this atrocity from happening then you can give David Stern a pat on the back for stopping the ludicrous James Dolan from allowing this to happen.

Hopefully the season can stay optimistic, and if Isiah is not allowed to be part of both FIU and the NYK, then he might just play it safe and stay at FIU were he has full control.:crossfingers:

The Daily news also learned that on saturday Thomas was interviewed recently about joining the Knicks and if he would want the GM job and Isiah said "nah, I dont think so."

So if Isiah does not want to be the GM because of his past with the Knicks and because of all the pressure and scrutiny, then this might turn out not being as bad as we are planning it to be.

:crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:Let's hope so.

shaolin

Benchwarmer
While you can argue that it's a conflict of interest, I just don't see the NBA overturning this decision just because Thomas is just a consultant and not a full-time employee.

knicksin60

Starter
David Stern needs to give James Dolan a lifetime ban from the NBA.It's the only way that the Knicks will have any future hope since Dolan isn't going to sell the team any time soon.

Paul1355

All Star
While you can argue that it's a conflict of interest, I just don't see the NBA overturning this decision just because Thomas is just a consultant and not a full-time employee.
I think its bigger than you think. I read an article by Ian OConner from ESPN newyork and he made a good point....if teams can have their own mole in college basketball then you would have a corrupt league.

Imagine the Lakers hiring Mike K from Duke, Celtics hiring Jim Boehim...teams will do whatever they can to get players legally and teams can see this as an oppurtunity to sign NCAA "consultants"

I hope the league takes a serious look at this and changes it. We need a miracle and James Dolan is the devil trying to cause destruction.

stuntmanmike

Benchwarmer
agree with paul on this one... how can he work in the ncaa or for any college that has a basketball program for that matter and also represent a pro team. only the "brain trust" of i.t. and dolan could have come up with this one. everything they touch turns to shit

clumsy

Rotation player
GOOD. Ban Isiah from the league, he is conflicting the interest of the Success of the Knicks Organization.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Look David Stern was the one who convinced Dolan to fire Thomas and to hire Walsh, he needs to be the one to step in and block this move!

The Knicks are one of the most important franchises to the league and Stern needs to realize the implications of such a move.

It's Dolan's team and he has every right to run it the way he sees fit. If you don't like it...make him a offer to buy the team since you seem to know more about his biz and situation, or buy your own team and run it better. Or you can just stop whinning and stop showing your support (money) for something you don't like, simple.

I don't like a lot of things that have been going down with the Knicks, but I know they are still in the off season mode so I will wait for the first few games to see if they improved, if not...then I'll be moving on to something else until they get their act together. I don't support weakness.

This off season was a big deal and for them to F it up and keep the norm of loosing seasons in the Garden is not what I call good money spent, or a nice night/day at the game. I call it a waste.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
It seemed pretty ridiculous that it was allowed in the first place. I mean...what the hell stops a team like the Bulls from calling up John Calipari over at Kentucky and hiring him as a "team consultant" and weaseling their way to get themselves better picks? It's just wrong and shouldn't be allowed.

The NBA and NCAA are separate organizations and should remain as such...there's no reason a college coach should have a role on an NBA team and vice versa. Could be a conflict of interest.