Melo Will Only Sign Extension With Knicks?

TheChosen1

Benchwarmer
Sep 01, 2010 10:06 AM EST
Anthony_Carmelo_den.jpg

Is Carmelo Anthony willing to hold out for his first choice?

According to a report from Tommy Dee of TheKnicksBlog.com, Anthony wants to play in New York and the current negotiations over a new collective bargaining agreement do not concern him enough to change course and commit to another team.

"Again, I maintain based on strong information that Melo will not sign an extension with any other team than the Knicks," writes Dee. "He?s confident that he?ll get paid CBA or not. Right or wrong that seems to be his stance at this point in time."
Via TheKnicksBlog.com <script type="text/javascript"> tweetmeme_source = 'realgmcom'; </script> <script type="text/javascript" src="http://tweetmeme.com/i/scripts/button.js"></script><iframe src="http://api.tweetmeme.com/button.js?url=http%3A//realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/68934/20100901/melo_will_only_sign_extension_with_knicks/&style=normal&source=realgmcom&o=http%3A//realgm.com/&b=1" frameborder="0" height="61" scrolling="no" width="50"></iframe>
New York Knicks

A friend of mine was telling me something like this. But Tommy Dee also said last night not to expect a trade anytime soon. That this could drag out till the Deadline.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
If this info is coming from a credible source and Melo is willing to hold steadfast in his decision to wanting to be a Knick, that gives us all of the leverage in negotiating a deal.

We either get him this year in a cheap deal, or we get him next year and Denver gets nothing. Melo can dictate where the leverage is with his willing and unwillingness to sign that extension. This is excellent news, if true.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
A friend of mine was telling me something like this. But Tommy Dee also said last night not to expect a trade anytime soon. That this could drag out till the Deadline.

It could, but I would be surprised if it did. What Melo is doing right now is damn near high treason in Denver. They'd be better off dragging this out until around training camp and then pulling the trigger on a deal.

It could get even more dysfunctional in the Pepsi Center if they decide to force a player into playing when he's all but said "I'd rather be there as opposed to here." I'm not saying it would be in the organization's best interest to move him, but for peace of mind and moving forward, it would probably be better to make a move now as opposed to torturing the fans with a player they want to keep but know they won't.

And Denver could deactivate him, but that's even more counterproductive than taking a less than ideal trade for him. Out of sight, semi-kinda-sorta, out of mind might be the best move for them.

moneyg

Starter
id still trade gallo and curry and a 2014 for him.....right now....

my only concern is that this drags to the trade deadline and he gets traded to a playoff team and wins a chip and then signs an extension with them.. he has to.. if not it would look like he in not all about winning...

id put the offer out there and wait... id even throw in chandler....

knicksin60

Starter
Until I see Anthony in a Knicks uniform I will not fall for the hype.I know this topic has been beaten to death, but how many times did we read about Queen James' love for the bright lights and about the Knicks being his second option behind the Cavaliers? Do you really believe that a player with Anthony's credentials is going to want to play for an owner like James Dolan who for some dumb and inexplicable reason thinks that Isiah Thomas was a better GM than Jerry West? It just seems like nine out of every ten NBA superstars don't want to have anything to do with New York, the Knicks, MSG and Dolan.All these rumors and reports seem like something to keep Knick fans entertained since there is really nothing happening in the NBA during this time of the year.

Last edited:
donnie isnt going to offer anything like that right now and wait

donnie is going to wait and then offer

why would donnie put his cards on the table

knowing Melo may not even sign with another team

he can wait this year out and sign melo out right and keep everything in tact

Im sorry but you dont dangle an up and coming star, a draft pick and an expiring contract in front of denver until you have some legitimate sit downs with agents and get a sense of whether or not Melo is definitely going to stay here after 2011

hence why the nets will not give denver lopez in a trade for melo

is melo a better player than lopez F yea

but if melo leaves after this year signs with the knicks then the nets lose melo and lopez and end up with a 15 win team for the next 5 years.

we do not give up gallo

when all markers are pointed towards melo signing a max contract in summer 2011 with us.

portega1968

El Cacique
Keeping my fingers crossed that Melo becomes a Knicks without us sacrificing our key players... holding out on signing that extension and outright signing with us next year is the best way to go in the long run.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I find this hard to believe but we'll see.

All of this really hinges on is whether or not this statement is true:

"He’s confident that he’ll get paid CBA or not."

If he doesn't care about the possibility of losing $15-20 mil over the life of a contract with the new CBA, then all is good and we should just wait until next year to sign him. But if he does care, look for his list of teams to expand the longer this drags on.

The thing that bothers me the most about this, is we will be talking about another non-Knick all season long. I'm excited for this season (it's been a long time since I've been excited about a Knick season) and I'm tired of talking about players not on the Knicks.

shaolin

Benchwarmer
If you think Melo is putting all his eggs in one basket, then you are shortsighted. He has leverage because many teams want him and are willing to pay a lot and trade other valuable players and Denver knows that. You think Melo is going to go to the Knicks without looking into other options? That is foolish. It makes no sense. We are fans that support ONE team (well, many of us anyway). We will support that team and be loyal to that team and we will be way too hopeful and optimistic. But, and this is a BIG, HUGE, BUT, players are simply doing their job and are running a business. They are in it for themselves more than in it for the team. LeBron left for himself. Cleveland fans thought he lacked loyalty. What loyalty? He had a business contract, which he completed and hell, he did a great job even considering game 4 or 5 of the playoffs. Melo is not going to make a decision to help the Knicks or to benefit the Nuggets, unless he can get something out of it. If he can’t, you think he is still going to be a Knick.<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
Point is, it’s way too early to know anything. Melo doesn’t know what will happen between now and by the time the trading deadline. I don’t see why Denver will trade him before December at the very earliest (about 4-8 weeks prior to the trading deadline). Any reports now claiming they know what Melo is going to do are premature and just great for gossip.<O:p</O:p

moneyg

Starter
Until I see Anthony in a Knicks uniform I will not fall for the hype.I know this topic has been beaten to death, but how many times did we read about Queen James' love for the bright lights and about the Knicks being his second option behind the Cavaliers? Do you really believe that a player with Anthony's credentials is going to want to play for an owner like James Dolan who for some dumb and inexplicable reason thinks that Isiah Thomas was a better GM than Jerry West? It just seems like nine out of every ten NBA superstars don't want to have anything to do with New York, the Knicks, MSG and Dolan.All these rumors and reports seem like something to keep Knick fans entertained since there is really nothing happening in the NBA during this time of the year.

cant comare melo to lebron.. lebron had clevealnd thinkin he was gonna resign.. melo has told denver to got f.. itself....

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back

thats better for us maybe Gallo is having a near allstar season by then and we decide not to trade for melo or makes a deal for melo easier to achieve loll.

Blumatic

Rotation player
I find this hard to believe but we'll see.

All of this really hinges on is whether or not this statement is true:

"He?s confident that he?ll get paid CBA or not."

If he doesn't care about the possibility of losing $15-20 mil over the life of a contract with the new CBA, then all is good and we should just wait until next year to sign him. But if he does care, look for his list of teams to expand the longer this drags on.

The thing that bothers me the most about this, is we will be talking about another non-Knick all season long. I'm excited for this season (it's been a long time since I've been excited about a Knick season) and I'm tired of talking about players not on the Knicks.

If we win there will be much less talks of Carmelo. But the past two years sucked. It was more interesting to talk about Lebron than Duhon and Harrington.

Knicks go 13-7 first 20 games, Melo talks will be much more quite.

Blumatic

Rotation player
If you think Melo is putting all his eggs in one basket, then you are shortsighted. He has leverage because many teams want him and are willing to pay a lot and trade other valuable players and Denver knows that. You think Melo is going to go to the Knicks without looking into other options? That is foolish. It makes no sense. We are fans that support ONE team (well, many of us anyway). We will support that team and be loyal to that team and we will be way too hopeful and optimistic. But, and this is a BIG, HUGE, BUT, players are simply doing their job and are running a business. They are in it for themselves more than in it for the team. LeBron left for himself. Cleveland fans thought he lacked loyalty. What loyalty? He had a business contract, which he completed and hell, he did a great job even considering game 4 or 5 of the playoffs. Melo is not going to make a decision to help the Knicks or to benefit the Nuggets, unless he can get something out of it. If he can’t, you think he is still going to be a Knick.<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
Point is, it’s way too early to know anything. Melo doesn’t know what will happen between now and by the time the trading deadline. I don’t see why Denver will trade him before December at the very earliest (about 4-8 weeks prior to the trading deadline). Any reports now claiming they know what Melo is going to do are premature and just great for gossip.<O:p</O:p

True but where else is he going to win besides Orlando. Nets, Wolves, Kings will still lose with him. I'm just assuming he wants to win with talent and youth around him. That is what the Knicks are.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
thats better for us maybe Gallo is having a near allstar season by then and we decide not to trade for melo or makes a deal for melo easier to achieve loll.

If Gallo is having a near allstar season, I hope to hell we don't trade him for Melo. Gallo already is the better passer and defender and a better fit for this team/system.

Which brings up my point all along. We should just wait until the summer to sign Melo, if he's still available. If Gallo is having an allstar year, we don't trade him. If Gallo is having a mediocre year, he won't be enough to get Melo and we'll have to include other young assests, which is not worth it.

Moral of the story....forget Melo!! Wait until next year. In the meantime, lets discuss the current Knicks and how good they can be.