Knicks turn down Randolph-Fernadez 3-way Deal

mafra

Legend
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...walsh_recently_rejected_deal_for_rudy_fe.html

Source: New York Knicks president Donnie Walsh recently rejected deal for Rudy Fernandez

By Frank Isola

Rudy Fernandez continues to lobby for a trade to New York, but the Knicks either can't or won't make a trade for the Portland shooting guard.

According to a team source, Knicks president Donnie Walsh recently rejected a three-team deal that would have sent Anthony Randolph to Indiana, a first-round pick to Portland and Fernandez to New York.

Because the Trail Blazers are insisting on receiving a first-round pick in return for Fernandez, the Knicks likely need to recruit a third team in order to complete a deal. The Blazers apparently have little interest in Wilson Chandler. Fernandez, who is currently playing for Spain at the world championships in Turkey, was fined by the NBA for publicly asking for a trade.
Denver's Carmelo Anthony has avoided similar punishment from the league, although from all indications, he'd like to be traded to the Knicks, Nets, Rockets or Clippers.

-----------

NO way would I even entertain the thought, right. Randolph for Fernandez? LOL!

KBlack25

Starter
nice job by Walsh here, AR has potential and while Fernandez is AR could wind up being more valuable overall.

shaolin

Benchwarmer
This made me laugh out loud. I needed a good laugh. Haven't had one in a good week. LOL!<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

Let's see. Here you have a player who REFUSES to play for Portland, hence, his value has decreased. Thinking rationally, trading Rudy for anyone will decent skill and talent will be a plus for them. Why the hell did they ask for not only Randolph, but also a first round pick? I wouldn't even give them Randolph alone even if Rudy was willing to play for Portland. Your player is lobbying to go to NYK . . . he doesn’t want to play for you, and you want someone who is a 7-foot freakish athlete with a shooter’s touch (meaning his midrange J WILL GET BETTER), the handle of a SF and top 10 shot blockers ability and who is only 21 in return? But not only that, these idiots are asking for a first rounder. Secondly, a first round pick is included if the trade isn’t fair. This is absurd, but at least it made me laugh.
This reminds me of idiot fantasy football owners that ask for Peyton Manning and are willing to give up Marion Barber or something like that. Then they tell you how that will improve your team. <O:p</O:p

keyser soze

Benchwarmer
i thought we couldnt trade him until dec.

is there something wrong here?

Yeah, that turns out not to be the case. We can trade any or all of the players from Golden State. The rule that supposedly prohibited us from trading them until December 15nth would have only applied to us if we were over the cap when we made the Lee trade. But we were UNDER the cap when we made the trade, so the rule doesn't apply to us

bboycustom92

Benchwarmer
We can trade him or package him whenever we want. We can't trade people we signed through free agency Ex. Raymond Felton, Roger Mason. People who came from trade(randolph,azzy,turiaf etc.) can be traded

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Lets clear this up:

A FA signed in the offseason can not be traded until December.

A player acquired in a trade can be traded at any time but cannot be packaged with another player acquired in that same trade until after the date in December. Simply put, a trade involving AR can not include Azu or Turiaf until after the 15th (I think that's the date) of December.

wnyknicksfan

Benchwarmer
Would you trade Randolph for love I think I would but what is your opinion d'antoni likes euro basketball style play and I think he is shocking a lot of people at the worlds he is arguably one of the best passing power forwards in the league also he has a nice jump shot

With a line up of
Felton
Chandler
Gallo
Love
Amare
With a second string of
Douglas
Mason
Walker
Turiaf
Mozgov
Then rautins fields as bench players then buike and curry on injury reserve
I know most of you would be weary with amare at center but there are only two legitimate centers that are good in the eastern conference Boston has Shaq and Perkins and Orlando has Howard and gortat the double power forward approach might be the best thing considering love is a rebounding beast and he came off the bench last season

Paul1355

All Star
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...walsh_recently_rejected_deal_for_rudy_fe.html

Source: New York Knicks president Donnie Walsh recently rejected deal for Rudy Fernandez

By Frank Isola

Rudy Fernandez continues to lobby for a trade to New York, but the Knicks either can't or won't make a trade for the Portland shooting guard.

According to a team source, Knicks president Donnie Walsh recently rejected a three-team deal that would have sent Anthony Randolph to Indiana, a first-round pick to Portland and Fernandez to New York.

Because the Trail Blazers are insisting on receiving a first-round pick in return for Fernandez, the Knicks likely need to recruit a third team in order to complete a deal. The Blazers apparently have little interest in Wilson Chandler. Fernandez, who is currently playing for Spain at the world championships in Turkey, was fined by the NBA for publicly asking for a trade.
Denver's Carmelo Anthony has avoided similar punishment from the league, although from all indications, he'd like to be traded to the Knicks, Nets, Rockets or Clippers.

-----------

NO way would I even entertain the thought, right. Randolph for Fernandez? LOL!
WOW....Portland can go screw.

Either they are the greediest team in the NBA or they are over rating Fernandez.

Don't they understand that this is going to turn into a soap opera and Rudy will not play for them, while Portland wastes their money and trade offers?

When Pritchard got fired, Portland left their brains with him.

Portland doesn't deserve a player and a first round pick unless the player with it is a bench player.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
As much as I want Rudy here, this is ridiculous.

Portland has always been the worst team to trade with. I thought it was Pritchard but I guess it's the ownership. They always need to screw someone over in a trade. It's their turn this time. WTF.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Small market Concerns

The small market teams have to be concerned about players choosing preferred locations and exercising whatever leverage they may have in order to force trades. Rudy has very little leverage. I believe his contract has two years to run and the contract amount is not much above the veteran's minimum. Portland apparently does not intend to oblige Rudy by making things easy on the Knicks. At the same time, Portland does not have much of a need for Rudy.

Carmelo, however, has substantial leverage, but Denver is hardly anxious to make things easy on him with a prompt and reasonable trade to the Knicks.

The kind of player dictated movement that LeBron et al have spawned could become a very contentious issue among team ownership and between ownership and the union in the upcoming CBA negotiations. The smaller markets and their limited "adult playground" locations cannot afford to lose their stars. I do not expect any gifts from the small markets. But in this case it is only Rudy. Portland should not much care where he goes. Perhaps Rudy and his agent should have been more diplomatic in their demands.

(A definition of "diplomacy' recalled from an old Salada Tea tag -- "Letting the other side have your way.")

Paul1355

All Star
The small market teams have to be concerned about players choosing preferred locations and exercising whatever leverage they may have in order to force trades. Rudy has very little leverage. I believe his contract has two years to run and the contract amount is not much above the veteran's minimum. Portland apparently does not intend to oblige Rudy by making things easy on the Knicks. At the same time, Portland does not have much of a need for Rudy.

Carmelo, however, has substantial leverage, but Denver is hardly anxious to make things easy on him with a prompt and reasonable trade to the Knicks.

The kind of player dictated movement that LeBron et al have spawned could become a very contentious issue among team ownership and between ownership and the union in the upcoming CBA negotiations. The smaller markets and their limited "adult playground" locations cannot afford to lose their stars. I do not expect any gifts from the small markets. But in this case it is only Rudy. Portland should not much care where he goes. Perhaps Rudy and his agent should have been more diplomatic in their demands.

(A definition of "diplomacy' recalled from an old Salada Tea tag -- "Letting the other side have your way.")
The idea of the NBA passing a franchise tag, which the NFL has, is a possibility.

So if teams know a player will leave, then the team can put the tag on him and teams HAVE to give up 1st and 2nd round picks for him.

portega1968

El Cacique
Cho obviously smoking some high-quality Cro'... delusional!!!

Blazers playing hardball with someone the coach barely played last year, and they have the NERVE to demand a 1st round pick.

I think we desperately need Rudy, but definitely not at that price. It will cost Portland in the longrun taking these foolish stances.

Hey Indiana, we have Eddy Curry if you want him!!!

Last edited: