Melo Reports to Denver Media Day

LJ4ptplay

Starter
This is the best news for Knick fans.

Carmelo 'leaving my options open'

Carmelo Anthony finally got on script today. He was at Nuggets media day in Denver, wearing his uniform and following the example set by LeBron James a year before:

"I'm leaving my options open," he told a gathering of Denver media, as reported by the Denver Post's Benjamin Hochmann. "At the end of the season, I'll sit down with my team, I'll sit down with the Denver Nuggets, and we'll talk about it."

Anthony also got into semantics when it came to the trade rumors.

"I never said I wanted to be traded," he said. "I never once said anything about trade talk."

Anthony may have come to grips with the fact that this may be his best play. The Nuggets could still complete that four-team trade to send him to the Nets, but there remains strong debate within the organization that they should not rush into anything when it comes to dealing away their superstar.

This, of course, is exactly what the Knicks, who prefer to sign him as a free agent next summer rather than weaken the roster to make a trade, wanted to hear.

The absolute best scenario for the Knicks is to wait until next year and sign him as a free agent. This is good news that Anthony is talking about playing the season with the Nuggets.

NYKnicks15

Starter
Yes. Carmelo has finally learned what everyone else has already known.. Denver will not trade him to the Knicks. Carmelo wants to be a New York Knick (God it feels good to say that someone wants to be a Knick again) plain and simple.

He realizes his best bet is to play for Denver. Say all of the right things. Make them believe you are really contemplating your future.

Realistically this only gets us until the deadline. and so be it. It will give us the chance to judge our players. and the chance to get him for less.

Carmelo keep it up!

Smooth21

Rookie
Yup, this is great news for the Knicks. He's definitely taking the lead from LeBron.

Denver is royally effed now - all they can do is ship him for pennies on the dollar at the deadline as a rental to some team, which I doubt will happen anyway.

As far as I'm concerned there's roughly a 95% chance Melo will sign with the Knicks next July. I can't friggen wait!

Wargames

Starter
I agree it looks good for us but now its on the knicks to show that they are a good enough team that signing with chicago is at best a far less attractive second option. :afro:

nyk_nyk

All Star
This is the best news for Knick fans.

The absolute best scenario for the Knicks is to wait until next year and sign him as a free agent. This is good news that Anthony is talking about playing the season with the Nuggets.

Agreed! This is absolutely the better situation for us. It possibly does 2 things for us: #1 we have a chance to retain our "potential skilled" players and add Melo, or #2 they have to come down on their demands as the trade deadline approaches.

I would hate to see DEN get shafted like CLE did... but ef that! I'm a knicks fan!
:peace:

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Nice.

It's good to see that an NBA star didn't get what they wanted.

It's good for us, it's good for the league.

There's no way we would have been a contender by gutting our team's core for one guy. If he signs in July, great. Then we'll be a contender, a serious one. I'm glad this didn't go down.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
People forget that when Paul was on stage at Melo's wedding toasting the future of a big three in NY, the Denver Nuggets brass were all there watching, seething, red -faced and uncomfortable.

That was really stupid on Paul's part.

That's gotta play into this somehow. That owner over there is one hard-nosed dude. He ain't gonna take that shit lying down w/out raping us in the process.

:gony:

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
George Karl's ears are absolutely humongous!

He looks like a faggin' hobbit in that vid, lol.

Last edited: