Randolph at Center?

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Center of attention for Knicks

By MARC BERMAN
Last Updated: 2:23 PM, October 1, 2010
Posted: 2:58 AM, October 1, 2010

MILAN, Italy -- How do you say "center controversy" in Italian?

As Knicks training camp traveled here yesterday, the biggest unknown is who will inherit the starting center job.

With Eddy Curry out of the picture, Ronny Turiaf not excelling, and impressive Russian rookie Timofey Mozgov still so inexperienced, Mike D'Antoni is giving more consideration to starting 6-foot-11 forward Anthony Randolph in the pivot. Randolph saw time with the first team during a light practice at Armani Jeans Milano's training facility.

Training camp opened last week with Turiaf playing with the first team, but he has no presence on offense. In the original alignment, Randolph was not in the starting lineup of Turiaf, Amar'e Stoudemire, Danilo Gallinari, Wilson Chandler and Raymond Felton. D'Antoni won't reveal his starting lineup for Sunday's exhibition against Milan.

The only way to fit Randolph into the starting lineup is at center. Mozgov has been a poised presence during camp, but the Knicks might keep him out of foul trouble by bringing him off the bench.

Randolph also is being used to front the Knicks' fullcourt press that will be used more this season.

"We're trying to find out where best to use him," D'Antoni said.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/center_of_attention_cDFInhXSq2dMlmwXWvVobK#ixzz118rN8ltj

Apparently it is becoming clear that Turiaf is best suited to come off the bench. I have been suggesting Randolph start at C since we got him.

Although, with the way Mozgov has impressed lately, maybe the Moz will start. Randolph, though, is supremely talented compared to Mozgov. But the Moz is a beast. Maybe we'll see Randolph start at C this Sunday. And maybe Moz during another preseason game. Now is a good time to experiment with it.

Anywho, it certainly is nice to have so many options. Particularly ones that are so athletic, defensive minded and play above the rim.

Tough call. Thoughts?

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
This is definitely the time to let Randolph go out and get a feel for playing the 5 in this system.

I still like what Turiaf brings. I think he makes smart decisions w the basketball, rebounds, plays solid post D and is a calming influence on the court.

Randolph has to prove that he has these lunch-bucket type skills to go along w his other attributes.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Apparently it is becoming clear that Turiaf is best suited to come off the bench. I have been suggesting Randolph start at C since we got him.

Although, with the way Mozgov has impressed lately, maybe the Moz will start. Randolph, though, is supremely talented compared to Mozgov. But the Moz is a beast. Maybe we'll see Randolph start at C this Sunday. And maybe Moz during another preseason game. Now is a good time to experiment with it.

Anywho, it certainly is nice to have so many options. Particularly ones that are so athletic, defensive minded and play above the rim.

Tough call. Thoughts?

All the training camp videos I see is of the players running up and down the court. Not running any plays just freeballing. First of all, who really expected Turiaf to be a scoring threat? Everyone knows what Turiaf brings... hustle, rebounding and defense, period. Playing AR at center is just plain stupid. After all the talk about his skill set, why would you put him at the 5 and limit what he can do on the court. Also, he is not prepared to battle with most centers due to his thin frame (even if he did add 30 lbs). Also, AR is not a good post defender, which is very different from on-ball defense. I see him getting into foul trouble before he even gets rolling on the offensive end. Just a bad idea. Start Turiaf or Mozgov and keep people at their natural position.

Seriously,why is there a center issue now so early in training camp? There is plenty of time for Turiaf or Moz to claim that position during preseason against real ballers. I just don't see how you play AR at center and still get all the valuable things he can do on the perimeter to the paint. Why limit him that way. I'm not reading into anything that newpaper said. At this point, Turiaf is the most ready center in the lineup and the only person who should change that is The Gov.

Start the Russian use Randolph as 6th man

The knicks really need a scorer off the bench, more than they need randolph in the starting lineup. Mozgof is really their only chance to be competitive with the top teams in the east. Randolph can't start against shaq or dwight howard so why not throw the kid into the fire. I really don't think we can be a playoff team if turiaf is our starting center, no disrespect, and i hope d'antoni doesn't pull a darko redux and ruin the kids confidence. Everyone has said he can play, he rocked it in the worlds, and we desperately need a real center to hold down the paint!

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Since we're on this topic of centers other than Turiaf as a possibility to start. I honestly feel like we could get away w starting Moz at center as long as you have the stability of Gallo and STAT at the 3 and 4 to go along w him.

Having STAT and the attention he draws would take pressure off of Moz. Gallo will definitely spread the floor as his man will not leave him. Moz would see many one on one opportunities and there would be alot of times he'd find himself open. It would be up to STAT and Gallo to find him. I think both of them could do this reliably.

Moz looks like he has a good feel for the game. He's definitely big and athletic enough that he wouldn't really be over-matched physically by anybody at his position in the league.

In my mind Moz at center is the more interesting experiment that should be explored in preseason ball and seriously considered for the long haul. :thumbsup:

Toons

is the Bo$$
In coach's famous team, 6'9'' boris diaw played center. I think randolph can play center but it depends on the match up.

Paul1355

All Star
People were laughing at me for putting Randolph at the 5 when we first got him, I have said this since we got this kid. Having Amare and Randolph in the front court has to be the fastest front court in the NBA and dominate offensively.

AND

Remember that Randolph will play the same role Jared Jeffries did by guarding many positions.

Mike D does not like to change styles so He will prob try to make Randolph the starting Center because if he makes Randolph like Jeffries then it really is no different than last year just better players and a faster team.

I like this idea and Phil Weber was the first one to meniton Randolph as a center on KNicks night live

Felton
Chandler
Gallo
Amare
Randolph

GOOD

KingCharles34

All Star
Im with u on that Paul, I been thinkin that we should put Anthony at C since we first got him too. It doesnt make perfect sense, but I still think it works for the same reasons you and toons brought up. And it might create mis matches for us when were going up against a team with a physical center like Ken Perkins, but we'll have an even bigger advantage then the other team will as long as we stick to the SSOL offense...Perkins, Bogut, etc. aint gonna keep up with Randolph when hes sprintin down the court.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
We'll have to adjust our lineup depending on who's playing C.

We can't play Randolph if we're going up against Dwight Howard, but I think Randolph's unparalleled athleticism is going to do him wonders even against centers who are bigger than he is

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
In an uptempo game Randolph should start. Against a tall team Mozgov should start. According to the matchup against the other team, they should change it up from game to game. Preseason will make things a lot clearer on what set of players have the best chemistry. Can't wait till tomorrow.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I think Randolph should start at Center, regardless of who our opponent is. Bogut doesn't scare me, neither do any of the Celtics Centers. Especially if we run-n-gun.

It was recently reported on KnicksBlog.com that D'Antoni wants to play a 10-11 man rotation and run. Run all the time. Also use a full-court press on defense. Even after made baskets and free throws. Run, run, run. All day, all the time. Both on offense and defense. Wear the opponents down.

As far as Dwight Howard goes. Doesn't everybody have trouble with him? Just something to be aware of, the last time Randolph played against Howard as a Center, Randolph dropped 28pts and 13 rebs against him.

Paul1355

All Star
Im with u on that Paul, I been thinkin that we should put Anthony at C since we first got him too. It doesnt make perfect sense, but I still think it works for the same reasons you and toons brought up. And it might create mis matches for us when were going up against a team with a physical center like Ken Perkins, but we'll have an even bigger advantage then the other team will as long as we stick to the SSOL offense...Perkins, Bogut, etc. aint gonna keep up with Randolph when hes sprintin down the court.

I agree but Randolph might not play as much if a big guy like Bogut is against us. If I was the Bucks I would post up with Bogut on Randolph all day. Randolph is not strong but tall, lanky, and athletic so Mozgov would play more against the big centers. But i agree that Bogut would get smoked once Randolph starts running on offense

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
as you stated at the start of the thread if theres a time to experiment with our lineup its now, although i'd like to have our final starting 5 set before the preseason finale. but for now try different lineups and see which one we have the most advantage with. who knows maybe out best five ends up being felton, chandler, gallo, amare and randolph or maybe gallo at the 2 and randolph at the 3 and mozgov at the 5 unno try things and see what works best.

all i know is im hyped for finally the unofficial start of the 2010-11 season tomorrow i know ima be watching and i have the game on tivo just incase i miss the start of it damn this is going to be fun!

Smooth21

Rookie
I guess if match ups allow for it time and time again then it's okay to give him a few minutes at the five but by and large it will be a disaster. More than his physical concerns (being a feather weight) is his bball IQ in that situation.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Yeah, after watching the game today, Randolph seems out of control most of the time.

But when they're running, he's unstoppable. I still think he can be our starting Center eventually, but he needs work.

Start the Moz!!

tiger0330

Legend
Didn't see the game but from what I'm hearing nothing has changed from AR's Golden State days, playing out of control and thinking he's Superman trying dunks starting from the 3pt line.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
I've been saying AR has issues all along. He makes stupid, unnecessary fouls and ridiculously inane turnovers.

It wasn't 15 sec after he got in the game today before he'd fouled some dude. This guy seriously reminds of Nate Robinson; athletic can score, but just makes low IQ plays that won't allow coach to keep him on the floor.

This is a make or break year for coach and this team. I see a sense of urgency right now w coach and several players, namely Gallo, Amare, Felton and TD . This sense of urgency was evidenced on one occasion by coach screaming at AR for not getting back on defense to his assignment--in a pre-season game. If AR doesn't start to get it, he will not be trusted and we all know what that means... He will reside in the doghouse.

I want to see AR grow and help us win. I really don't have a lot of faith that this will happen though. To me Moz looked like he's much more receptive to and capable of everything the team wants him to do at the center position. Combine that w the fact he's a true center and AR prospects of seeing much time at the 5 seem dim.

AR showed you exactly what I've been saying he would, that he's a freelancer. He wants his shots. He wants his blocks. He wants his dunks. It's about him. That sh*t ain't gonna fly this year.

Last edited:

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
Sloppy game as expected. Team Chemistry needs to build up but Mozgov looked good. He was in no mans land at times on defense, leaving players open in the paint. He definitely has potential and with his size there will be a lot difficulty on offense for the other team, showing intimidation.

Randolph had some bad fouls and bad turnovers. Randolph still needs to learn a lot t o become a player he can be. He has a lot of energy and can score which is exactly what the Knicks need coming off the bench.

Each player fighting for the Center position still need improvement. Turiaf might be the Center as well but didn't show too much coming off the first preseason game.