Walsh says Mullin is next in line for GM job

Paul1355

All Star
Walsh: Mullin is My Guy

By Tommy Dee on Oct 02, 2010, 12:38 am
Via RealGM from the NY Daily News
While hiring Chris Mullin is not imminent, Donnie Walsh has revealed that the former Warriors GM would be his pick to run the Knicks.
“If I could hire anybody Chris would be the guy,” Walsh told The Daily News. “That’s who I want.”
James Dolan may be reluctant on approving the hire of Mullin, possibly because of the potential return of Isiah Thomas, but also because of Glen Grunwald and John Gabriel.

XxWinKnicksxX

Benchwarmer
I would like to keep Walsh around for 2 more years at least, but if that dosent happen, I think they can get a ok gm, not on walsh status, but ok. Dolan needs to listen to Donnie because he has all the brains, and can't guarantee a successful gm, but can point him in the right direction, and dolan isn't going in the right direction. IF I were Dolan, I would listen to everything Walsh had to say, and most likely follow his advice as long as it was good advice about the upcoming new GM

iSaYughh

Starter
Pretty sure he was involved in Ellis and Randolph drafts, and made the Baron trade. And bringing in Turiaf/Azzy. So he obv a certain connection to roster, though I'm not sure how much, if at all, that should matter.

Architect of the team that spanked the Mavs in The Biggest NBA Upset OAT, after the Warriors were Isiah-awful, but with a much worse fan base and city.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Glen Grunwald would probably be a good GM too, though. He's the guy who made the Raptors team of the early 2000's (VC, T-Mac).

John Gabriel maybe, too, since he's the guy who made the Magic team of the early 2000's (T-Mac, Grant Hill, drafting Mike Miller).

And Chris Mullin has had some pretty good days as a GM too, what with building that team that dismantled the Mavs in the biggest first-round upset EVER. Not to mention Mullin is a native New Yorker who went to Xaverian HS in Brooklyn and college at St. John's so I wouldn't mind having a fellow NYer running the show. Beats having that ****er Isiah.

jzero29

Rotation player
Standing Isiah ban. isiah = me becoming brooklyn nets fan

Anyone besides Isiah, I will stop watching knicks if Isiah returns in anyform.

After the time Donnie Walsh spent fixing Isiahs errors, doing a great job and pointing this team/franchise in the right direction. Obvious by his roster full of talented, young bright future type of player and only a few over paid, spoiled curry like players Isiah brought. After doing all this without the help of the knicks draft picks. Donnie walsh finally has accomplished what isiah could not. He did it with cool calculated moves and patience. He mapped out a plan and achieved his goals, put the knicks in the best position to get huge free agents. If Isiah does come back, it will be a short while before donnies hard work is ruined. Sure, his firts year or two will probably yeild positive results, but that would be Walshes work paying off, after that wears off and Isiah is making gut moves for bloated contract guys he likes. but are not motivated. These type of quick fix moves will have the Knicks right back where they started. It's true.

Look at the summer both jerome james and curry became knicks. We were getting hammered and needed a center. Jerome james has one good playoff game, and curry appeared to be on the rise, although chicago wanted nothing to do with him long term??? Hmmm, motivation, weight, coaching problems? isiah morgaged future for potential not for established stars. besides already signing J.James for same reason. But isiah had to have J.James and then he had to have curry.
Knicks need defense. sign jared jeffereis to huge contract. the thing is he is a good role player, he just was to expensive, but Isiah had to have him. He was blinded.

He had to have steph, then he had to have crawford and then to defend his choice he had to have crawford suceed at the cost of steph playing time/role and eventually career and natural role as the main guy. Hmmm lest trade for steph, take the ball away from him and make him watch some scrub(crawford) miss buzzer beaters but get a lot of credit for hitting 1 out of every 10 end game impacting shots. (shots that would ice game, put team up or tie game)
He was the worst on so many levels and we are finally coming out from under the rubble he left this team in. If Dolan returns Isiah the great destroyer to any position of power, you will be looking at NY's #1 Nets fan.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
I have been a big fan of St. Johns Golden Star Chris Mullin since the rival with Georgetown Patrick Ewing. Queens in the house.

Chris Mullin big mistake was his hook-up with Bum Donnie Walsh in Indiana.
The last thing Chris Mullin need is another "favor" from Donnie Walsh,
a favor u spend a life time paying back.

Chris Mullin shouldve replaced Don Nelson with assistant coach Smart at the sign of Don Nelson consistent sickness during road games. Dallas had no problems replacing Nelson with player coach Avery Johnson.
The Chris Mullin vs Dunleavy feud during the 2008 offseason is hard to mention who got the best of who in the FA signings both players (Davis/Maggette) turned out to be lockerroom cancers in the switch.

The 26 win GSW vs the 29 win Knicks record results after the 2010-11 season will give us the answer on Chris Mullin being a GM or another assistant GM bumming around for a job.

By '09-10, Nellie could barely be called a coach. As usual his Warriors ignored the defensive end while skilled players like Monta Ellis and Stephen Curry basically played pick-up basketball, an especially troublesome development for a rookie with a tremendous upside like Curry. Nelson often didn't even run the huddles during timeouts, allowing Smart to take the reins.
Nellie leaves the Bay Area as the NBA's all-time winningest coach after compiling over 1,300 wins in 31 seasons. But he never was able to capture the brass ring of an NBA championship and he eerily reminded many of another brilliant offensive strategist, Doug Moe, who burned out and gave up but decided to keep picking up paychecks anyway.
Smart has been considered the coach-in-waiting in Oakland for several years, and Warriors fans can only hope he lives up to his name and takes the best of Nelson's offensive prowess while wedding it to some kind of defensive concept that enables the franchise to turn the corner.
There is some talent on hand.
Curry is one of the best pure shooters in basketball but is also capable of being a well-rounded player that can handle the ball and get his teammates involved.
Both Andris Biedrins and David Lee are legitimate double-double threats on a nightly basis, while Ellis can fill it up like few others. Meanwhile, rookie power forward Ekpe Udoh may bring the defensive presence and toughness Nelson seemingly always ignored. Simply put, it was time to turn the page in Oakland and the Warriors new ownership has made a very "Smart" move.

The sameway Smart shouldve been given the headcoaching job of the GSW the past two seasons, is the same as Herb Williams shouldve been coaching the Knicks the past two seasons.
Foolish Politics or foolish decision making on ?????
:gony:

New New York

Quiet Storm
Mullin has the potential to be Isiah 2.0

He took the same sort of risks at the same sort of players Isiah went after but his risk for the most part played out well for him.

The Baron Davis trade had to potential to blow up in their face like Step to NY eventually did to us....fortunetly for G-State it didnt.

But players like Stephon Jackson and Al Harrington who have skill but poor attitudes were traded for as well....again they played out for Golden State so it was all good.

But I don't like the idea all that much.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I know he was a raging alcoholic around the twilight of his career.

Otherwise, how he has legit credentials is beyond me? Donnie is obsessed with previous associates from Indiana. Bit strange.

He was an awesome player: smart, savvy and had the nicest looking shot - let alone one of the most accurate of all time.

Kiyaman

Legend
Anyone besides Isiah, I will stop watching knicks if Isiah returns in anyform.

After the time Donnie Walsh spent fixing Isiahs errors, doing a great job and pointing this team/franchise in the right direction. Obvious by his roster full of talented, young bright future type of player and only a few over paid, spoiled curry like players Isiah brought. After doing all this without the help of the knicks draft picks. Donnie walsh finally has accomplished what isiah could not. He did it with cool calculated moves and patience. He mapped out a plan and achieved his goals, put the knicks in the best position to get huge free agents. If Isiah does come back, it will be a short while before donnies hard work is ruined. Sure, his firts year or two will probably yeild positive results, but that would be Walshes work paying off, after that wears off and Isiah is making gut moves for bloated contract guys he likes. but are not motivated. These type of quick fix moves will have the Knicks right back where they started. It's true.

Look at the summer both jerome james and curry became knicks. We were getting hammered and needed a center. Jerome james has one good playoff game, and curry appeared to be on the rise, although chicago wanted nothing to do with him long term??? Hmmm, motivation, weight, coaching problems? isiah morgaged future for potential not for established stars. besides already signing J.James for same reason. But isiah had to have J.James and then he had to have curry.
Knicks need defense. sign jared jeffereis to huge contract. the thing is he is a good role player, he just was to expensive, but Isiah had to have him. He was blinded.

He had to have steph, then he had to have crawford and then to defend his choice he had to have crawford suceed at the cost of steph playing time/role and eventually career and natural role as the main guy. Hmmm lest trade for steph, take the ball away from him and make him watch some scrub(crawford) miss buzzer beaters but get a lot of credit for hitting 1 out of every 10 end game impacting shots. (shots that would ice game, put team up or tie game)
He was the worst on so many levels and we are finally coming out from under the rubble he left this team in. If Dolan returns Isiah the great destroyer to any position of power, you will be looking at NY's #1 Nets fan.

All of Isiah Players contract were ending after the 2010-11 season.
Isiah only had 5 players (Zach/Curry/Crawford/Jeff/Chandler) contracts that were going into the 2010-11 season.
So when the Knicks took on the "2010-PLAN" in March 2008, the lowering of the Knicks salary cap for the 2010 offseason "only" depended on the trading of the 4 players above contracts for a year less contracts.

Showcasing and Pampering Knick players Zach/Curry/Crawford/Jefferies at the start of the 2008-9 season was such an easy task when the Headcoach obvious plan was "tanking" the 2008-9 season.
:gony:
I hate media LIES that fans spread to fans to make the so-call truth.
Layden did not leave Isiah a bad team, and Isiah did not leave Walsh a bad team. Media Lies inwhich fans read and spread to each other.
The number one problem with Isiah Thomas 15 player roster were Isiah Thomas authority as GM/Coach.

tiger0330

Legend
Dimemag has Adonal Foyle signing with the Warriors for 42M as the worst contract signed this decade. Was it Mullin that gave him that kind of dough?, Like Isiah he was a big spender when he was a GM, do the Knicks really need a guy like that