What do I want Amar'e to do?

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Do a lot more ball handling drills. He's not fluid enough to being the moves he does that much. When he turns from posting up he looks like Dwight Howard a little bit sometimes, and of course, Howard at least is more near the basket. He doesn't make good decisions all the time with the moves he does which deals with ball handling, which seems to be his turnover problem. I think he'd dominate more if he had better handles, especially with his left hand.

He's a pf.. We don't need him handling the ball. What we need is for him and the team to work on establishing pick and roll play to get him easier finishes at the bucket. I want him having to create his own offense at a minimum.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
He's a pf.. We don't need him handling the ball. What we need is for him and the team to work on establishing pick and roll play to get him easier finishes at the bucket. I want him having to create his own offense at a minimum.

While I agree with that, I think the team would benefit if he did work on it. Two or three times a game where he could do it himself like Lee did would be very useful.

As for now he needs to stop doing it like his handles are that good. He's forcing too much.

Italian Stallion

Benchwarmer
I'd like for him to give us back our 100M and go back to the Suns.

Amare is a super elite scorer in the pick and roll with a decent mid range game, but he's average or below average at everything else.

He has no handle at all, doesn't pass or make plays well, turns the ball over constantly, commits too many fouls, and is not a good decision maker. At best he's even only a decent rebounder for a PF.

God forbid his knees go and we are totally screwed.

Sorry guys, this is not a franchise player. He's a second option and we gave him a max contract. Not good.

Amare is a super elite scorer in the pick and roll with a decent mid range game, but he's average or below average at everything else.

He has no handle at all, doesn't pass or make plays well, turns the ball over constantly, commits too many fouls, and is not a good decision maker. At best he's even only a decent rebounder for a PF.

Sorry guys, this is not a franchise player. He's a second option and we gave him a max contract. Not good.

GTFO.

headshakedunk.gif

supercelo24

Rookie
his TO's are frustrating...he needs to be more patient in the high and low post and read the defense. Most times he just powers his way into the paint with dunk in mind. He goes to his go-to move too often, and becomes predictable to the defender. He needs to evolve a bit if we want to see the playoffs.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee

He has handles man. He definitely has. It's his timing and selection that are off. He needs to crash in the paint and get a back to the basket game.

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
Amare needs to know when to pass the ball. He is taking his role as a star of the team a little to far. He's forcing on shots and drives to the basket that just not there. He is turning the ball over too much, and does need to work on dribbling.

In the Celtics and Blazers game he was trying to take the last shot. He should not be shooting the ball, if he is taking the last shot it should be near the rim. Chandler had the hot hand and it should have gone to him, Gallo is slowly finding his game and either him or Felton should take the last shot.

The game at Chicago was his worst game but overall he is still playing well for the team. Rebounding is better from preseason and the defense is not bad. Lucky the team had the three point shot working for them. Never like the contract but he is still good.

He has handles man. He definitely has. It's his timing and selection that are off. He needs to crash in the paint and get a back to the basket game.

This sums him up at the minute. Yeah he's a max contract player but remember he needs time to adjust to our team also, just like ray felt, turiaf and azubuike will in their first seasons on the roster. I dont like all the turnovers either but have some confidence and show some support for STAT. He is our boy. I still think he will come up good for us over the course of the year and hopefully into the playoffs. Take a deep breath if you are a fickle action / immediate reaction type knicks fan.

Overall it looks like we are heading in a positive direction with this team and we gotta support our players even if they have a rough patch and believe they can turn it around, as opposed to jumping on their backs so quick when they struggle. Gallo shut a few up just now, and STAT is too good a baller not to work on his faults and turn it around soon is what i think

Blumatic

Rotation player
Amar'e needs a passing game. He's never done that before. The talent is here on this team. This is where D'antoni better show how good of a coach he is.

But watching the highlights again, with ESPN focusing on our threes, most of our killer threes came from the pick n roll involving STAT. STAT takes 2 steps into the paint and the D-Rose would sink leaving T-Doug and Felton open all day. Gallo, thats what he does and they left him way open with STAT on the floor. If STAT would convert six of his TOs into dimes we would have had 140 pts.

stuntmanmike

Benchwarmer
stat has to pass the friggn ball. he is getting doubled and tripled and instead of rotating the ball to the open guy he is trying to dribble his way out and he is turning the ball over. when he does get is head out of his ass and passes the guards are getting good looks and are able the step into their shots. stat was embarrassing against the bulls. he can do more than just shot everytime he gets the ball but he tries to create when nothing is there stopping the flow of the offense. he needs to get his head out and be a team player pronto.. go knicks!!!!!!

nyk_nyk

All Star
If STAT gets the ball in a position where he needs to create himself, then he should first probe the defense to see how they might guard him. This will help him even before he makes his first move. A back to the basket game would also be helpful since he would get a good look at his teammates position better. I think STAT is a beast so I don't have a huge problem with the max contract. I do however think he benefited greatly by playing with Nash and is now trying to learn how to get his game going without the luxury passes he received. I don't think any big man can guard him one on one and that's why he's seeing double teams every game. He will have to learn how to turn that into a positive for the TEAM.

I can see him feeling the pressure of being the best player every night but the fans will tolerate subpar scoring games from him as long as he does other things to help the team win. Although I blame STAT for the majority of his turnovers, Felton or whoever NEEDS to get him easier shots. Amare is not your dump it in and get out the way type of PF. You have to catch him on the move or set him up close to the basket.

KingCharles34

All Star
I just want Amare to play less selfishly, smarter, and within the team system. Felton is doing a good job, T Douglas, Chandler, Turiaf...even Gallo stepped up in the last game. Amare showed little patience and he looked like he was higher then i am right now :weed:

We gotta remember that 3 outta 4 teams that we've played have had good interior defense

Celtics - Shaq, Garnett, JO, big baby

Blazers - Camby the GOAT

Bulls - Noah....I dont know much about Gibson but he played good d on Amare. Or he sorta did...Amare made him look better then he probably is

Lets not also forget, however, how Stoudaretire failed to beast on Scalabrine

:barf:

Hes gotta be more patient and get his head in the game more. We gotta win as a team and i think we potentially have the roll players to bring us to the playoffs

I want to see more of amare`s repetoire of the pick and roll and post up moves. I want to see Amare drive to the hoop more and throw down an electrifying dunk.Its still early in the season with this fresh new knicks team gelling and getting accostmed with each other with many new players as uncompared wit the players having undefined roles and contracts expiring basically for the sle purpose of you know what. Remember this team is still a very young team ( Gallo, Chandler, Randolph, TD) I now that amare is def. not performing up to his full expectations specially with the amount of money getting paid for a superstar but this is Amare`s first year with the the new era knicks especially with the burden of N.Y. Im sure hell do fine once he gets accustomed to playing in the big stage of MSG and New York City. im actually very very surprised to see the knicks team having a strongfirst start and play right out the gate even though with their two losses against the Celts and PTd blazers. You knew that would be a very tough matchup and test with very two quality teams specially with this fresh brand new youth team getting to know each other. I really was impressed with the way they fought and showed resiliency against he Celts and Trailblazers. I think this shws that chemistry will not be an issue, players getting accustomed with each and that Mike D will get through most of his players. Im sure Amare will do fine as its stillllllllll earlyof the season. so I think we should just chill and relax. :peace: If they lose to the philly then thats another story and that really would be a major letdown and dissapointment for the start of this new knicks team. We def. should have no problem against Philly.

WOODMO

Rookie
I think he looked much more comfortable last night, playing more within the flow of the offense.

His scoring needs to increase but I'm sure it will once he stops forcing everything.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
He's still having this problem. It may not be just ball handling though, he's forcing a lot of shots. Sometimes he looks like Jeffries out there on offense (both tried spin moves today and got the ball taken from them).

For example, bad passes every game can be acceptable, if your idea for the pass is ok, as long as it's not too much, but THIS stuff Stoudemire should know by now not to do. Somebody needs to tell him as well. He runs over opponents a lot causing offensive fouls too instead of pulling up.

Sorry guys, tis is not a franchise player. He's a second option and we gave him a max contract. Not good.
His passing is getting better actually, only in this game it was horrible and his handle isn't bad he just commits turnovers sometimes,in the beginning of the season he committing turnovers like crazy but now he calmed down

Last edited: