Dantoni is doing it again!!

nyk_nyk

All Star
Dantoni has completely transformed Bill Walker into a designated jump shooter and that sh*t aint cool. I know the man has a style of play but if you have a multi talented player then you should maximize their full potential. It can't hurt! Dantoni did the same thing with Quentin Richardson. Q came into the league as a post up/slashing/long range shooting type guard and thrived in LA (even though they sucked). Q now starts for ORL and is allowed by SVG to incorporate his full skill set.

My purpose for creating this thread is also to get your opinion on Dantoni's "system".

Is it a system you can win a title with? IMO, no. Similar to last nights game, you can get away with running and shooting a high percentage of 3s occasionally but great teams will shut that down and you eventually have to incorporate a half court set into your offense. Also, that's not the ideal way to play in crunch time. Possessions are waaaaay more valuable at that point and it just looks stupid to hoist up a 3 when there's only a 4 pt difference in the game.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
My thoughts are that you did not state what player on the Knicks you are talking about, you are prejudging a team that is 2 and 2 when both losses were against 50 win playoff teams. (2 games we lost could have easily gone the other way)

As to D'ant's style...it is an effective offensive scheme and I see the team moving the ball around more then at anytime this decade. They are spreading the floor and playing unselfish uptempo exciting ball. I would like to see some more PnR with Felton and Amare but everything else looks pretty damn good. Our team defense has been really good and they are all hustling, communicating and blocking shots. I don't understand why so many people are so quick to jump on a coach who has us off to a good start and has proven to coach at an elite level in both Phoenix and Europe. The guy did not have a roster for the first two years in NYC and now he does and has them playing well and you still complain! Come on man...give the guy a chance. If we suck with this roster by all-star break then I can see this thread and I will be supporting him being fired.

In conclusion, D'ant has the 4th youngest roster consisting of 2 rookie starters and 85% new players playing really well. There has not been one game so far that the Knicks looked terrible. Their defense and rebounding is exceeding expectations and once Amare and Felton find a groove this team will be really effin good!

KingCharles34

All Star
My thoughts are that you did not state what player on the Knicks you are talking about, you are prejudging a team that is 2 and 2 when both losses were against 50 win playoff teams. (2 games we lost could have easily gone the other way)

As to D'ant's style...it is an effective offensive scheme and I see the team moving the ball around more then at anytime this decade. They are spreading the floor and playing unselfish uptempo exciting ball. I would like to see some more PnR with Felton and Amare but everything else looks pretty damn good. Our team defense has been really good and they are all hustling, communicating and blocking shots. I don't understand why so many people are so quick to jump on a coach who has us off to a good start and has proven to coach at an elite level in both Phoenix and Europe. The guy did not have a roster for the first two years in NYC and now he does and has them playing well and you still complain! Come on man...give the guy a chance. If we suck with this roster by all-star break then I can see this thread and I will be supporting him being fired.

In conclusion, D'ant has the 4th youngest roster consisting of 2 rookie starters and 85% new players playing really well. There has not been one game so far that the Knicks looked terrible. Their defense and rebounding is exceeding expectations and once Amare and Felton find a groove this team will be really effin good!

C/S

I'd say thats reasonable

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
BTW, the Suns could have won a title using D'ants system had they not gotten key suspensions. They would have destroyed the Cavs and Lebrick.

4 50+ win seasons, back to back 60 win seasons, 1 game and suspension away from the finals and a coach of the year award should be a clue that his system is sound.

BTW, the Suns could have won a title using D'ants system had they not gotten key suspensions. They would have destroyed the Cavs and Lebrick.

4 50+ win seasons, back to back 60 win seasons, 1 game and suspension away from the finals and a coach of the year award should be a clue that his system is sound.
I hate when ppl say this.. How do we know this?? Didn't they only win one game in that series? The Spurs were still the better team IMO.

Edit: Nvm they won 2.. But still we don't know for sure they wouldve won

KingCharles34

All Star
That was a great playoff series but its tough to say who woulda won. I think it went 6 games, maybe even 7...but the Suns just barely came up short. Who got suspended again? was it bell and marion or bell and stoudamire?

nyk_nyk

All Star

That doesn't mean its good enough to win a title.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
I hate when ppl say this.. How do we know this?? Didn't they only win one game in that series? The Spurs were still the better team IMO.

It's obviously conjecture and no one knows what would have happened but the point is D'ant put the Suns in a position to win. Can we conclude that JVG's system is flawed cause he did not win with the Knicks?

nyk_nyk

All Star

How am I prejudging them??? They are .500 now and that's fine but everything I said about the SYSTEM and how it can be detrimental to 4th quarters is all true. Its basic basketball knowledge.

keyser soze

Benchwarmer
That was a great playoff series but its tough to say who woulda won. I think it went 6 games, maybe even 7...but the Suns just barely came up short. Who got suspended again? was it bell and marion or bell and stoudamire?

bell and amare for game 5 at home, with the series tied at 2-2

KingCharles34

All Star
Trillions gotta good point...Antoni haters should wait until around the all star break to judge him. We have a good enough team where if we're any more then a few games below .500 then the criticism is deserved. Im not a big fan of him as a person but as a coach, it is hard to judge considering CHRIS DUFAGG was our starting point guard our first 2 years. He is a dikk to the players sometimes, most coaches would communicate with their players and at least let them know they're outta the rotation but personality and ability to coach are two different things.

nyk_nyk

All Star
It's obviously conjecture and no one knows what would have happened but the point is D'ant put the Suns in a position to win. Can we conclude that JVG's system is flawed cause he did not win with the Knicks?

It got them to the finals on two occassions with Riley and JVG.

BleedOrange&Blue

Benchwarmer
While I'm not gonna trash D'Antoni I see the thread starter's point when he says that Dantoni molds players into what he likes and does not take full advantage of all their skills. If you want an example take a look at Gallo who has settled into the role of floor spreader and has developed his game much as there is no real incentive to in D'Antoni's system. With that said, I am not questioning his ability to win as his record goes without saying. But I can understand the frustration of some fans including myself when a lot of our players look like drones that are programmed to take the next available three point shot. Guys like Landry Fields, Chandler and Douglas and Turiaf are encouraging as they have shown tremendous versatility on both ends as well as blending into the system.The more players we get like this and the less gunners we have the better.

KingCharles34

All Star
We have to ask ourselves, who deserves more blame; the player or the coach? When Gallo wasnt playin good, Antoni did cut his minutes down. Its a players choice to toss up a three or drive to the hoop. We dont have that many players that are proven still, we got Amare and Felton...Chandler and Gallo have proven that they are roll players that can get 15 points a game. And i think both of them can still improve alot, Douglas is proving himself...and we know Turiaf is gonna bring alotta energy. I think some fans are gettin the potential of our players confused with how good they actually are. And i think the potential is there too but at the end of the day its all about consistency.

CoolClyde

D'Ahole

no matter how well the Knicks gel, Mike No-D'Antoni will always be an A-holio.
I hate his personality, his style of coaching, his ego, his player interaction, his substitutions, his benching of players, and lack of interest in fouling when up by 3 with seconds left in the game. Although the Knicks have a much better defensive squad now, thanks to Fast Donnie Walsh, it's this shoot-first, defend later attitude that I cannot stand. He can suck it in 7 seconds or less.

Go Knicks!
nyk_wesuck.jpg

LJ4ptplay

Starter
So this thread pretty much needs to be deleted. Walker was driving and dunking tonight.

And the Knicks are playing good defense. 11 blocks and 11 steals tonight. Leading the league in blocked shots, steals and forced turnovers. Time for the haters to acknowledge facts or just stay quiet like they normally do when the Knicks win and play well.

nyk_nyk

All Star
So this thread pretty much needs to be deleted. Walker was driving and dunking tonight.

And the Knicks are playing good defense. 11 blocks and 11 steals tonight. Leading the league in blocked shots, steals and forced turnovers. Time for the haters to acknowledge facts or just stay quiet like they normally do when the Knicks win and play well.

The way Walker played highlighted my point exactly. He drove to the basket with authority and created some highlight plays which is part of his game. Prior to that he was hancuffed and forced to be a spot up shooter to satisfy Dantoni's gameplan. Walker played a complete offensive game and it made us that much better.

Why not utilize ALL of a players strengths instead of limiting them to what works best for a system with no alternatives.

Hopefully Walker is allowed to keep attacking and isn't ordered to remain behind the line for a 3pt opportunity.