Why isn't Charles Oakley one of our assistant coaches, or anything like that?

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I was just thinking about it on the bus ride back to my apartment and I sat and wondered...why isn't this guy on our coaching staff? I was still young back in the 90's but what I remember about Oakley was that he was an excellent rebounder and a stiff defensive presence in the paint that anchored the Knicks to being one of the best defensive teams in the 90's.

People keep talking about how we need defense and rebounding, well, we have a veteran player who's currently enjoying his retirement who was an amazing defender and rebounder. I sure as hell loved watching him play, and I'd assume the same goes for a lot of you guys as well, and I'd be thrilled if he were coaching our big men and helping teach defense to a team that could always use some more defensive coaching.

Any thoughts on this?

Edit: So I typed in a search and I found this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/26/sports/basketball/26oakley.html?_r=2&ref=sports

Basically, Oakley has said as much that he would love to work with the Knicks on defense. The bigger question is...why the hell hasn't Donnie Walsh hired him yet?

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Good question.

Also, I saw Anthony Mason on Boomer & Carson wearing a Knicks shirt. How 'bout him as well? Starks also is always doing stuff for the organization.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
He parleyed for an assistant position but was denied. Since then there's been tension and slandering, mostly from Oak, between the 2.

Honestly, I think if we were to hire a big man assistant, we'd be best to get Olajuwan in to teach on both ends at a higher level.

He has coached Kobe on inside moves, so it's not like he's inexperienced or incapable.

cathaytrader

Benchwarmer
I think Ewing's been chomping at the bit to return to the Knicks as a coach too but the Knicks just don't seem to be interested.