Blood From A Stone: MD's Postgame Quote.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
"Should we just get the ball on offense and throw it out of bounds and just run back down the court? You can't tell guys to just stop shooting three pointers and take it to the basket. The game doesn't work that way. You've Got to keep shooting!"

Really Mike?

Even though we've already shot 177 more 3s than our opponents combined, Mike? 227 to be precise, Mike?

Considering, Mike, that we've taken that many more 3s for a total of 89 makes, Mike?

And in total, Mike, we've taken 941 total shots to our opponents 929, Mike?

Even with a double digit lead, Mike?

Ever heard of a midrange shot there, Mike?

Perhaps a post up play, Mike?

A plan B, Mike?

I could go on, but I'm sure there are others willing to do that for me.

d6c60b03c0f17d4f5e54debcfdc879d3-getty-103883874dp013_new_york_kni.jpg

^

3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 Nash Nash Nash Nash Nash Nash Nash Nash 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 Nash Nash Nash Nash Nash Nash Nash Nash Nash

Ok, im done. Im done. i tried to give the Pringles man a chance but he is such a moron. This was the final straw after that "were going to lose by 20+ again this season" statement. im done. Bring in Mark Jackson.

iSaYughh

Starter
My hesitations on just canning D'ant before the AS break...is the added pathetic it'd bring to our team. We already have been colossal laughing stocks...but now we're going to can Mike D'antoni, after Larry Brown and the host of other coaches we've recently had...It's embarrassing, and pathetic on behalf of our GM and players.

Like some deluded, petulant child who picks some strawman or excuse so as to not confront their *own* fatal flaw(s).

We've had HOF type coaches; a premier defensive coach, and a premier offensive coach.

What's next?

Evey coach has their flaws. A legit NBA roster shouldn't live or die by them like hapless bums. Let alone vets or supposed superstars. How toxically built and compromised is this team....

I don't really care about D'antoni; I have zero problem with the thought of canning him.

But this is getting absurd. I don't get how Walsh is like Teflon through almost all this. He hired D'ant, too, along with the host of other things we could harpoon him for.

D'antoni just isn't *that* bad, either way; and this team is much more likely to just not be that good. Maybe he isn't that good, either, but there's just no way he's our main culprit.

But we all need a kicktoy when our team is so patently bad for so long, so may as well be him now.

yeah, I heard that shit too, I just commented on that in another topic. This dude is un ****ing believeable...

I can't wait for Dolan to shoot his ass out of the garden.

quiggle

Starter
I wouldn't be surprised now if D'Antoni is deliberately tanking because he wants to get fired.

But I wouldn't be surprised if Dolan knows this and instead keeps him on for the whole season to humilate him with more losses. come on, all the coaches that came and went Dolan did something to stain their reputation, how can he let Mikey off this easy?

CLYDE

Benchwarmer
Walsh is the GM, a smart man, and has to make an intelligent decision.

I'm sure he already knows D'ant. is not getting it done. After unloading the team 2 years ago, trades, lottery picks, STAT for $100 MM, and you're 3 & 8.

It's like stalling telling your GF you don't want it any more, and by time you make the hard decision you wonder why you just didn't get it done long ago and move on.

I was never a fan of D'antoni, but honestly never thought he was this out of touch.

12 seconds left, down 3, and the play has your point guard run to the corner? Even if he catches the ball he has limited options, may be trapped, limited passing options, etc. This is something a high school coach would go nuts over.

I say swallow your pride and bring in a serious teacher with sound basketball knowledge. JVG, Mark Jackson, someone who is demanding and respected by the players.

mafra

Legend
Walsh is the GM, a smart man, and has to make an intelligent decision.

I'm sure he already knows D'ant. is not getting it done. After unloading the team 2 years ago, trades, lottery picks, STAT for $100 MM, and you're 3 & 8.

It's like stalling telling your GF you don't want it any more, and by time you make the hard decision you wonder why you just didn't get it done long ago and move on.

I was never a fan of D'antoni, but honestly never thought he was this out of touch.

12 seconds left, down 3, and the play has your point guard run to the corner? Even if he catches the ball he has limited options, may be trapped, limited passing options, etc. This is something a high school coach would go nuts over.

I say swallow your pride and bring in a serious teacher with sound basketball knowledge. JVG, Mark Jackson, someone who is demanding and respected by the players.

I totally agree. And Walsh understands that it's one thing to lose, but it's another thing to be unproductive and lose (meaning guys like Gallo, Randolph, Walker & Mozgov fail to see any growth in their games).

Especially Randolph. Doing to him what Nellie did in GSW will only ensure another lost season. Dude just has to play 20-24 minutes a night and hope something clicks.

Also, I have to believe Walsh wants Curry to start at center. He's our best option, and soon will be healthy enough to warrant such a move.

The Knicks will become a different team if he can return to something, like score 15 ppg. Not like it can get any worse in the paint right now, and we all know D'ant will not go in ths direction.

SO, if you want to put this team in a position to win in 2011, you have to right the ship immediately. And this season can still be saved, but it has to occur in the next 13 games. If we lose the next 3 on this road trip, that's the time to make the move....

Will it happen? Who knows. BUt I believe if he's polling the players, and if Dant totally lost the locker room, than DW has to make the switch.

Paul1355

All Star
Really Mike?

Even though we've already shot 177 more 3s than our opponents combined, Mike? 227 to be precise, Mike?

Considering, Mike, that we've taken that many more 3s for a total of 89 makes, Mike?

And in total, Mike, we've taken 941 total shots to our opponents 929, Mike?

Even with a double digit lead, Mike?

Ever heard of a midrange shot there, Mike?

Perhaps a post up play, Mike?

A plan B, Mike?

I could go on, but I'm sure there are others willing to do that for me.

d6c60b03c0f17d4f5e54debcfdc879d3-getty-103883874dp013_new_york_kni.jpg

^
i remember that, this guy is a fool....we will have ten games where we shoot good and blow out teams...the rest will be brick city and we will lose

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
bump this........i was a dantoni hater too until i understood the mind of our coach

i have to say toons you have really come around..

listen, all those misses in the first nine games will pay dividends later on.

this team will inevitably come back to shooting the 3 ball w confidence consistently. it takes growing pains for a team to play the way you want them to as a coach. Mike D knows what he's doing.

there's a method to the seeming madness.

the impatient masses on this forum can't get w that.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I mean, you do have to stop shooting 3's if the 3's aren't dropping.

Precisely the reason Gallo has had such good games lately is BECAUSE he's not shooting as many 3's and is instead taking it to the basket and drawing fouls

If Felton keeps playing with this offensive aggression, we're a playoff team. Period. Tgis system works best when the pg is not only a fascilitator, but also a scorer when needed. He appears to have found the balance, and that spells trouble for teams. Hopefully he continues.

moneyg

Starter

Precisely the reason Gallo has had such good games lately is BECAUSE he's not shooting as many 3's and is instead taking it to the basket and drawing fouls

not only that... when your three is not falling.. u need easy buckets to build confidence in your shooting.. heis 3pt shot has gotten better.. but its directly linked to him takin it to the hole and drawing fouls

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Three Pointers

It is not that simple and D'Antoni is not a moron.

The Kincks' current three point shooting percenage is 34.2%. Their current two point shooting percentage is 49.6%.

Lately their three point shooting has improved. Arguably their 3 pt percentage will be higher by the end of the year.

The Knicks currently average 24.2 three point shots a game and 59 two point shots a game.

At their current 34.2% 3 point shooting average, 1000 3 pt shots will produce 1,026 points. At their current 49.6% 2 point shooting average, 1000 2 pt shots will produce 992 points. If these were the only factors involved, arguably we should be taking more three point shots than we are. And keep in mind that the 2 pt shots include chippies as well as mid-range shots.

But there are other factors. Missed shots produce rebounds. The percentage of defensive rebounds is substantially greater than offensive rebounds. For example, the Knicks average 11.6 offensive rebounds a game and 30.4 defensive rebounds a game. But missed three point shots tend to bounce away from the disk and there is probably a higher percentage of offensive rebounds on three point shots. i am sure someone keeps those statistics. A missed shot that the other team rebounds gives the other team another offensive play. Since we miss more three point shots than two point shots, we give the opponent more opportunities to score

But decent three point shooting produces spacing that opens up easier 2 point shooting.

I do not know enough and thus can neither praise nor condemn D'Antoni's use of the three ball. But toning it down recently has produced better results. I think significant three point shooting should continue to be part of our arsenal-- but lets put some reasonable limits on it.

Last edited:

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound

yeah you do. can't argue w that.

i am in the camp that the guys on our team were settling for the 3 too much. but it goes deeper than just that.

I think Mike D is hesitant to call off the proverbial 3 point shooting dogs because he wants the guys to not lose confidence in taking those shots.

down the road when he has this offense running the way he wants finally, and were not there yet, this team will take a high volume of threes and make a good percentage of them consistently from game to game because of the movement and spacing within the offense we run. that's how this offense is supposed to run. alot of you guys don't seem to get that.

we WILL RUN O similar to how they do it in Phoenix eventually. don't doubt that. this is what Mike D has designs on AND THE THREE BALL IS REQUISITE to the team getting to that point. :gony:

BleedOrange&Blue

Benchwarmer
yeah you do. can't argue w that.

i am in the camp that the guys on our team were settling for the 3 too much. but it goes deeper than just that.

I think Mike D is hesitant to call off the proverbial 3 point shooting dogs because he wants the guys to not lose confidence in taking those shots.

down the road when he has this offense running the way he wants finally, and were not there yet, this team will take a high volume of threes and make a good percentage of them consistently from game to game because of the movement and spacing within the offense we run. that's how this offense is supposed to run. alot of you guys don't seem to get that.

we WILL RUN O similar to how they do it in Phoenix eventually. don't doubt that. this is what Mike D has designs on AND THE THREE BALL IS REQUISITE to the team getting to that point. :gony:

You make some decent points and unlike some on here aren't just a blind observer of the Knicks Offense. I think we can agree that the Knicks have been smarter about when to take 3's. Gallo has shown the most improvement here and would you believe it he is playing his best right now. I got no problem with the idea of using shooting to provide efficient spacing for Felton and Amare.

Heres the problem with the D'Antoni offense that is not being talked about enough. The 4th Quarter people, is where the games are won and lost. Run N' Gun is easy to sustain when your hitting shots and leading comfortably ahead in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

Has anyone noticed how we haven't had a good 4th quarter all season? In the fourth quarter, players tighten up, the game naturally slows down as possessions become increasingly important. All of a sudden it becomes a half-court game and all the great ball movement and shooting is no where to be found. Gallo goes from being the most efficient scorer on the team to shooting a bunch of 3's out of rhythm.

Tempo is also key. When you are winning wouldn't you want to reduce the number of possessions the other team has? The point I'm trying to make is that this system whatever you may think it entails, emphasizes speed and is therefore INCOMPATIBLE with the nature of the grind out, slowed down nature of the fourth quarter especially the last 5 minutes.

While I am happy that we have won 4 in a row and Gallo has snapped out of his funk and playing his best ball, I am a little disappointed and annoyed by our inability to shut teams out. This team needs to be able to adjust to a slower pace when needed.

D'Antoni has to figure out a way to adapt his offense in the 4th and not allow teams to come from 16 to within 1. We were lucky Fields came up big this time, next time we may not be.