2010 Playoff Watch thread

Toons

is the Bo$$
This is the official Playoff Watch Thread

As of today, the knicks are in 6th in the east with a 13-9 record.

Miami and Chicago are ahead of us. With Boozer returning in Chi-Town, the bulls may level out at 4.

Atlanta is in 3rd but may take a tumble without Joe Johnson

It seem like 6th man of the year and former knick Jamal Crawford is filling the role for Johnson well.

Last edited:

kukoc7

Benchwarmer
Boston, Miami, Atlanta, Orlando, Chicago out of reach.

The rest is a mess, a lot of team more or less at the same level.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
i dont see why we cant be 6th in the east. i think were better then the Pacers and if we get some consistency we'd be a dangerous team in the east.

The Hawks.. are not out of the woods imo.. Unlikely we'll catch em, but I wouldn't say they're out of our reach.. With that said we can't afford to have many more 4+ game losing streaks.The key to being a playoff team is to be a team that wins consistently.. Accumilating a bunch of multi game losing streaks is a season killer..

smokes

Huge Member
I'd say it's between us and Milwaukee for the 6th spot. The Pacers had a nice start but they aren't too legit unless big man Roy Hibbert turns into a consistent beast this season. He has the tools but can he put it all together?

I think most of us were saying 6th all along in the summer and even though we had a rough start I don't see that changing much now. We would do great to get 6th judging by who's gonna be our first round opponents.

Honestly I doubt Miami/Orlando are beatable in a 7 game series but Boston we could run off the court. All depends how the season comes together really. It's a looooong way to the playoffs!

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
Knicks have to take care of the next couple Charlotte Bobcat games coming up. We can't have a major letdown after a winning streak. Look how we blew shit at Philly just weeks ago.

Speak3asy

Benchwarmer
Wasn't there just a thread about how we were categorically eliminated from the playoffs.

Keep this one up. The NBA season is like a roller coaster, but were looking good at the moment. Seems the whole amare speech really got people to step their game up.

Paul1355

All Star
This is the official Playoff Watch Thread

As of today, the knicks are in 7th in the east with a 6-8 record.

Indiana and Atlanta are ahead of us.

ATL is the truth when it comes to having a complete team. As for indiana, i think we can take these guys over, an secure the 6th spot.
indiana wont last and Atlanta might always stay ahead of us

p0nder

Starter
I was calling for a 6th spot before the season began, it still looks attainable but we need to put away these bad teams early and step our 4th qt game. Several times we have collapsed in the 4th. With a big enough lead we are winning, but in close games we need to close out. As the season goes on, we'll see who will start to step up in the 4th for us. Amar'e is a complete player end to end minute 1 to 48. But we need to see guys step up in the 4th in order for us to get to the playoffs and to compete once we are there.

Encouraging has been Gallo's recent performances in the 4th. Hitting big 3's getting to the line, he's really stepped up his game. I don't know if it was Amar'e calling him out or the wrist feeling better, but the guy has really turned it on.

I think we are a better and deeper team then Chicago. They are an injury shy of missing the playoffs. 5th is a possibility for this team. Cracking the top 4 is unrealistic, especially with the slow start. But by the time playoffs come around we'll be able to compete with those teams as well.

Toons

is the Bo$$
Miami against the pacers tonight.....with wade and haslem out, can miami give indi a loss? we would move up to 6th with our next win at home.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
The Knicks will finish 10th or 11th place.

I'm not fooled by this winning streak. The Knicks have had mini winning streaks in each of their last 6 years, and none of those seasons resulted in a playoff berth. The Knicks beat barely beat a crippled Clippers team, barely beat a Warriors team without David Lee and with a Mike D'Antoni impersonator as coach, and a poorly coached Kings team who doesn't look at scouting reports and just tries to "wing it" each night.

If the Knicks can beat the Bobcats and Hawks, then I'll be impressed. But the Knicks are going to have to play well for a month, before I believe in this team.

jpz17

Starter
why not the 5th seed? lol @ the fact that 1 week ago you guys were screaming bloody murder. psh, new york fans are way too crazy sometimes :D

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
Unlike in years past, I am not going to get suckered in by a winning streak, particularly one that took place against three teams that weren't at their best: LA had no Kaman or Baron Davis (two of their main players, one of which was an all-star last season), the warriors, who got destroyed on the boards, because they lacked Lee, and the Kings (enough said).

I need the Knicks to continue this, for at least a month, before I am a believer. the knicks can do their little media campaign, as they've done in the past. Still, I'm not biting, until I see long term results. People on here are getting hyped up, and the result will be disappointment, if the Knicks remain sh1tty. Let's be hopeful, while bearing in mind the past, rather than counting the proverbial chicks before the eggs have hatched.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
OG, you've got a point.

But we were also on the road. How often is it that we've ever had a winning streak on the road? We were 11-30 on the road last year and 12-29 the year before that...the fact that we're winning road games is a miracle as it is considering we barely win a dozen each year...I'm fully confident that this team can win about 60% of its home games. All they have to do is maintain a 40% winning percentage on the road and we're playoff-bound with a .500 record...they seem well on their way right now

And nothing makes me happier than seeing the Miami Heat lose. They just deserve it for thinking that three all-stars and a bunch of scrubs is somehow going to make a good team...seriously, their starting PG is Carlos Arroyo, their starting Center is Big Z, and their bench is terrible. Seriously, Juwan Howard, Jamaal Magloire, and James Jones all saw significant time...you're not going to win with those guys...

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
Valid points on our winning streak. We beat some bad teams. Let's hope that the Knicks take care of business this year unlike in year's past. If we blow it against the Bobcats that'd really be a setback. We definetely have to at least win one out the 2 against them.

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
Well, Gallo has to continue helping Stat, by not settling for threes. He has to work the mid-range game, drive to the basket, etc. This is key. Stat can't do it alone, especially against teams that are superior to the past three we have played.

His inconsistency has to end, if he's going to be the player everyone predicts he will be. I hope Gallo proves us, his doubters, wrong and that he helps get this team into the playoffs (I am not going to set myself up for disappointment and will not bite until we're well entrenched in a top 6 seed, 60 games in).

I like Chandler, but it was obvious to me that he couldn't keep up the scoring: he's not a star, in my opinion. He's a great role player, who needs, like Gallo, to work the ref into a calling frenzy.

Good stuff from Felton. I think he's finally learning to work along Stat.

Stat has also shown he has a very good jumper, which is encouraging. Let's hope it's not an aberration and that he can keep it up.

I wish we had a different, more respectful (toward players) coach, but hopefully he has scrapped this SSOL nonsense and will just let the players play.

Last edited:

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
If you look at the current standings, I think it'll be a recurring theme in the top 6 as NY face any resurgence in the standings from Charlotte and Milwaukee. Indiana may drop off, but they're a concern. I think Miami will get ahead of Atlanta and probably Chicago as well.

EASTERN CONFERENCE
Eastern W L
Boston 12 4
Orlando 12 4
Atlanta 11 7
Chicago 9 6
Indiana 8 7
Miami 9 8
New York 9 9
Cleveland 7 9
Milwaukee 6 10
Charlotte 6 11

NY have had the easiest schedule thus far out of the 4 teams making a bid for 7th and 8th. For those who want to be in the know, here's a list of schedules from the biggest threat to the NYK's playoff aspirations.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/schedule/
http://www.nba.com/bucks/schedule/
http://www.nba.com/bobcats/schedule/

The Bucks, Pacers and Bobcats are the outside hinderances to our playoff hopes, but there are some inside as well - those being: ourselves and injury.

We need another 5 if we want to compete with 7-8 hopefuls. Ronnie is day to day and arthritis is a constant. There appears to be no available quick fix here, however.

We also need, IMO, an improved version of what is already an improved offense. Our 4th quarters have been shaky since opening night. @ Detroit was another classic meltdown.:smokin: