Mozgov vs. Randolph

Italian Stallion

Benchwarmer
I don't understand why the Knicks are willing to give minutes to Mozgov to develop but are unwilling to give minutes to Anthony Randolph to develop?

Both are obviously very green and make a lot of mistakes, but Randolph at least has a 2 year record in Golden State of being an excellent rebounder and shot blocker and can also score in transition, slashing, off offensive rebounds etc... Plus his upside is massively higher because he's a great athlete and only 21. Mozgov is 24.

To this point Mozgov has been a poor rebounder, low usage and inefficient scorer, turnover prone, and foul prone. The only thing he does well is block shots.

Granted, AR may not be strong enough to play C on most nights, but he could spell Amare at PF and play with Turiaf at C and even play with Amare at C if the other team does not have a big dominant C.

If Mozgov deserves 10 minutes so does AR. In fact he deserves them more.

I have a funny feeling that there was some kind of agreement with the Mozgov camp that if he came to the US he would play and they are giving him minutes for that reason. I see no reason to play him based on his production. Even Milicic has been way more productive than him lately and that's embarrassing.

Hitman

Benchwarmer
The coaches are trying to win the games.

Mike D is not giving minutes to Mosgov or Fields or ANYONE to develop them.

He is trying to win the games.

Italian Stallion

Benchwarmer
The coaches are trying to win the games.

Mike D is not giving minutes to Mosgov or Fields or ANYONE to develop them.

He is trying to win the games.

Fields clearly deserves the minutes because he's a highly efficient scorer and excellent rebounder for a SG. He also does a lot of little things that don't show up in the box score well. Super high basketball IQ!

The point I was making is that if you are trying to win then Mozgov should not be playing at all because at this stage he's terrible. But if the Knicks are willing to give him minutes despite the fact that he can't score, scores inefficiently when he does score, doesn't rebound well, is very foul prone, and turns the ball over a lot, then they must feel he has upside worth exploring because he sure isn't helping them win now.

So if that's true of Mozgov, it's true of Randolph X 10 because Randolph's upside is 10 miles higher than Mozgov's. There's no way that Mozgov is a more productive player than Randolph right now even though he got off to a bad start.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Here's the thing in spite of Mozgov's size Randolph is a much better defender and much better player right now. Mozgov is still EXTREMELY raw, Anthony Randolph has been an NBA player for two years already.

Why does Bill Walker get minutes over Randolph? Or Douglas, for that matter? Why doesn't D'Antoni try using Randolph at C and Amar'e at PF for a team that doesn't have much size?

I think it could work. AR gets a ton of blocks...he's athletic...can cause mismatches due to the fact that he has the quickness of a shooting guard

Italian Stallion

Benchwarmer
Here's the thing in spite of Mozgov's size Randolph is a much better defender and much better player right now. Mozgov is still EXTREMELY raw, Anthony Randolph has been an NBA player for two years already.

Why does Bill Walker get minutes over Randolph? Or Douglas, for that matter? Why doesn't D'Antoni try using Randolph at C and Amar'e at PF for a team that doesn't have much size?

I think it could work. AR gets a ton of blocks...he's athletic...can cause mismatches due to the fact that he has the quickness of a shooting guard

I agree with you.

AR obviously has a lot to learn and will make some dumb mistakes. If we had a deep bench of veterans that were solid role players I could see giving him some time to develop in practice. But we are playing Mozgov who is equally green but not nearly as productive at AR. That makes no sense at all.