Rockets trading 2012 1st for TWill

tiger0330

Legend
Last edited:

iSaYughh

Starter
Hmm. Seems like a decent trade for everyone. I wonder if NJ tries to sweeten their shit in offering a package...to DEN, or whomever.

I don't think this necessarily hurts us getting a 1st for AR. From them. Or what about Spurs. I always thought Spurs would be all over our shit to try to get Wilson from us.

nyk1986

Benchwarmer
NJ can now offer like 4 or 5 first round picks over the next 2 seasons or so. ESPN though has said the Nuggets are saying there are still options to send Melo to because if they didn't that would just be bad business and we would be just playing chicken. Melo wants NY, I think it would be hilarious if he was traded to NJ and then signed with us in the summer. Sucks to be a Nets fan. Let's not worry about that right now and get this next W against the Celts and show PP about a new rivalry.

Knicksdabest

Benchwarmer
I think they're trying to stack up the first rounders and trade them to denver for melo.I don't think the nets would just give up t-will for sasha.It would be pretty hilarious if the nets didn't get him & traded t-will for nothing hahaha.

tiger0330

Legend
I think they're trying to stack up the first rounders and trade them to denver for melo.I don't think the nets would just give up t-will for sasha.It would be pretty hilarious if the nets didn't get him & traded t-will for nothing hahaha.
Yahoo is reporting that the Nets have 5 first rounders to put together a better package for Melo. The Nets made out like bandits getting 2 firsts even if they're late firsts for a guy that had a few good games last year and was clashing with his coach. NJ is not going to do a deal if Melo doesn't sign an extension.

KBlack25

Starter
STILL doesn't matter unless Melo is willing to sign an extension...which he didn't want as of a few months ago.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
STILL doesn't matter unless Melo is willing to sign an extension...which he didn't want as of a few months ago.

KBlack25... As we learned with the LeBron debacle is that you can never assume what you hear is fact. To think that Melo will only sign with 1 team is just absurd especially when just a few months ago Chicago was an option.... He might prefer NY but why wouldn't he want to go to NJ and flank Lopez? Newark??? That's only for another 18 months....

KBlack25

Starter
KBlack25... As we learned with the LeBron debacle is that you can never assume what you hear is fact. To think that Melo will only sign with 1 team is just absurd especially when just a few months ago Chicago was an option.... He might prefer NY but why wouldn't he want to go to NJ and flank Lopez? Newark??? That's only for another 18 months....

If he wanted to go to Newark he would have approved the deal in the summer that would have sent Favors to the Nuggets. He blocked that trade months ago b/c he refused to sign an extension.

Could something have changed? Possibly. But I'll believe it when I see it.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
If he wanted to go to Newark he would have approved the deal in the summer that would have sent Favors to the Nuggets. He blocked that trade months ago b/c he refused to sign an extension.

Listen, nothing surprises me anymore and like I said Melo does NOT have a trade block in his contract so if NJ wants to send picks to Denver for a non committal player and try to use the rest of the season to convince him to stay; then it will happen. If you are Walsh you are going to nix the trade because of Fields? He is worth that much? If Walsh refuses to gut the team, then I might back him but if he can land Melo for Curry, Chandler or Gallo and Fields plus a #1 for AR and refuses because of Fields.... Shy of Fields becoming a star, Walsh will go down as the GM who made the biggest bonehead blunder of all time!

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Favors, Murphy 4 firsts for Melo and rumored to have agreed to sign an extension with the Nets.

We're rolling, some times the deal you don't make is the best deal. Melo is a scorer and we score a ton of points anyway.

Agreed. There is nothing we can do to beat that offer anyway. If Melo goes to NJ, no big deal. We still have a ton of cap space to make this roster deeper and more complete.

I was thinking that too. Unless NJ retaining Devon Harris and Melo getting nervous about money (and his knee, which is balky suddenly) is enough for him to change his mind. Still doubt it though.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Also, I am starting to think that maybe keeping the team intact and using Curry plus a pick t land Iggy might be the way to go.... That leave enough money to go after another big to come off the bench and backup pg.

iJoe

Rotation player
I'm a bit confused as to what New Jersey is doing.... Shouldn't they be trying to improve their team immediately to make it an attractive place for Melo to go to? Stockpiling draft picks seems like an odd move. Maybe they're angling for a different player.

Its really not about Denver agreeing to a trade. Its about Melo choosing whether or not to extend his contract.

KBlack25

Starter
Listen, nothing surprises me anymore and like I said Melo does NOT have a trade block in his contract so if NJ wants to send picks to Denver for a non committal player and try to use the rest of the season to convince him to stay; then it will happen. If you are Walsh you are going to nix the trade because of Fields? He is worth that much? If Walsh refuses to gut the team, then I might back him but if he can land Melo for Curry, Chandler or Gallo and Fields plus a #1 for AR and refuses because of Fields.... Shy of Fields becoming a star, Walsh will go down as the GM who made the biggest bonehead blunder of all time!

If NJ is willing to back up the draft picks and talent truck for a guy who has refused at every single juncture to sign an extension then power to them. I can't foresee them being that stupid.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
I'm a bit confused as to what New Jersey is doing.... Shouldn't they be trying to improve their team immediately to make it an attractive place for Melo to go to? Stockpiling draft picks seems like an odd move. Maybe they're angling for a different player.

Its really not about Denver agreeing to a trade. Its about Melo choosing whether or not to extend his contract.

WRONG... Melo does not have a trade block clause in his contact so Denver can trade him anywhere if that team is willing to trade for him without him signing right away.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
If NJ is willing to back up the draft picks and talent truck for a guy who has refused at every single juncture to sign an extension then power to them. I can't foresee them being that stupid.

If NJ trades for him, you can take it to the bank that he resigns with NJ!!!

keyser soze

Benchwarmer
WRONG... Melo does not have a trade block clause in his contact so Denver can trade him anywhere if that team is willing to trade for him without him signing right away.

Yeah but that isn't the point. The point is, for the Nets to give all of that up for Carmelo, they are going to need an assurance that he will commit to them longterm. And if they don't get that commitment from Melo up front, then they are morons taking a huge, unecessary risk.

And here's the thing that makes no sense. New Jersey is 6-18 (and currently losing at home to Philly). What they should be focusing on is improving their team in any way they can to look as appealing to Melo as they possibly can as quickly as they possibly can. Carmelo is not going to be interested in agreeing to an extension with a team that has the worst record in basketball, when he can go across the river and play with Amare Stoudemire (a top ten NBA player in the prime of his career), Raymond Felton, and the soon-to-be annual playoff-bound New York Knicks. The Nets ALREADY had a more appealing package to Denver (because of the 2 1st rounders they already had along with Derrick Favors). If they were willing to use Terrence Williams as a trading piece, they should have used him to improve their roster in any way possible.