Houston only has the right to swap picks with us this year. they dont own it outright

moneyg

Starter
we still have a first round pick this year...

houston is not goog so they will keep their own pick...

while im positive we cant trade it because houston owns the rights...

we should be picking in the mid to late first round...

i think we should target a backup pg like

KEMBA WALKER..

he might be available

nyk_nyk

All Star
In a way it's better if HOU takes our 2011 pick this year. If that happens we have full control over the 2012 pick and can use it in any future deal. As it stands now, we can't use the 2011 or 2012 pick in any deal until HOU decides to swap or not which they have all season to figure out. (if i'm not mistaken)

Let's say they decide on the 2012 pick after the season, we'll have this years pick but by that time most of the major (and best value) deals are probably already done.

moneyg

Starter
In a way it's better if HOU takes our 2011 pick this year. If that happens we have full control over the 2012 pick and can use it in any future deal. As it stands now, we can't use the 2011 or 2012 pick in any deal until HOU decides to swap or not which they have all season to figure out. (if i'm not mistaken)

Let's say they decide on the 2012 pick after the season, we'll have this years pick but by that time most of the major (and best value) deals are probably already done.

not sure of that. i though it was a swap this year and an ouright pick next year.. not 100% sure.

im not sure if you swap a pick if it means the sames as trading it away outright as far as trading 1st rounders in consecutive year

can anybody verify???

moneyg

Starter
just checked

http://www.nba.com/knicks/news/mcgrady_trade.html

NEW YORK, February 18, 2010 ? New York Knickerbockers President of Basketball Operations Donnie Walsh announced today that the team has acquired seven-time All-Star swingman Tracy McGrady from the Houston Rockets and guard Sergio Rodriguez from the Sacramento Kings, as part of a three-team trade. New York traded guard Larry Hughes to Sacramento and forwards Jordan Hill and Jared Jeffries to Houston, as well as a protected 2012 first round pick and the Rockets have the option to exchange first round draft selections in 2011. Sacramento acquired forwards Carl Landry and Joey Dorsey from Houston and Houston acquired guard Kevin Martin and forward/center Hilton Armstrong from Sacramento.

looks like they can swap and and the 2012 is outright but protected..

so i guess the rule is you can swap in consecutive years.. u just cant trade outright...

so its not as bad as I thought