Why can't we just sent Anthony Randolph to D-League?

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
Why are we giving up on him? Better yet, why is D'antoni giving up on a 6'11 only 21 yr super athletic with handle player. It just pisses me off to see this kid don't get any minutes. It would be best to send him to D-League and get his head and game right. It just kills me to not develop a back to the basket game for him ala Jermaine O'neal when he finally got an opportunity in Indiana. This bullshit offense of guards/forwards shooting all this 3's is something I'm not a fan of. If we don't make AR a player then why was the D Lee trade for? AR was the prize and I know he hasn't shown anything yet but the coach has his favorites and won't get anybody out of the dog house. Very very disappointed to see AR on the bench game after game. By sending him to the D-League you at least sending him a message that we want him here and that we want him to be part of this team. D'antoni will always be an idiot in my eyes!

tiger0330

Legend
The CBA doesn't allow you to send a 3 year vet to the d-league, you can only send 1st or 2nd year players. AR is a real puzzle, here the Knicks are looking for big man help to be able to rest Amare but AR can't get 10 mins a game, it's not doing him or the Knicks any good having him rot on the bench. We should play him or trade him at this point.

Red

TYPE-A
Why are we giving up on him? Better yet, why is D'antoni giving up on a 6'11 only 21 yr super athletic with handle player. It just pisses me off to see this kid don't get any minutes. It would be best to send him to D-League and get his head and game right. It just kills me to not develop a back to the basket game for him ala Jermaine O'neal when he finally got an opportunity in Indiana. This bullshit offense of guards/forwards shooting all this 3's is something I'm not a fan of. If we don't make AR a player then why was the D Lee trade for? AR was the prize and I know he hasn't shown anything yet but the coach has his favorites and won't get anybody out of the dog house. Very very disappointed to see AR on the bench game after game. By sending him to the D-League you at least sending him a message that we want him here and that we want him to be part of this team. D'antoni will always be an idiot in my eyes!
Its simple with MDA...

He wants players who already play with fundametals. He just wants to put players in the right position to win. He doesn't have time to teach his system and how to play the game.

If you can't play, with MDA you won't play until you get better in practice. Then you can prove yourself in garbage time, but he's a quick evaluator, and he expects players to show what they have quickly.

He's not going to coach anyone up, especially some one who doesn't show good fundametals. AR will be assesed for his value by prospecting offers at the trade deadline,

If an offer presents itself that makes sense (a player that can quickly pick up on MDA's system with minimal coaching, AR is gone... definitely for a pick.

New New York

Quiet Storm
The CBA doesn't allow you to send a 3 year vet to the d-league, you can only send 1st or 2nd year players. AR is a real puzzle, here the Knicks are looking for big man help to be able to rest Amare but AR can't get 10 mins a game, it's not doing him or the Knicks any good having him rot on the bench. We should play him or trade him at this point.

The CBA states you can not force a player (more or less) to play in The D League, meaning The Knicks could suggest it to Randolph and he has the right to say yes or no.

AR has been the lone disappointment for me this season, I think the skill is there, but he really lacks the confidence about playing in this league that a 3rd year player should have.

I do wonder how much of that is our coachings staff's fault, I mean he did not look great in Europe (Pre Season) but he played with confidence and meaning and when he made a mistake he wasnt looking to see if he was going to get pulled, so how much further a long would he be if he was allowed to play through his mistakes during the season?

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
We need to start playing STAT less in the 1st and 2nd quarters and save him more for the second half and give Randolph like 10 minutes so that STAT's legs will still be working by playoff time.

Again...Randolph has skill, he just needs to work on shot selection and he'll be a good player. He's a great rebounder which is something we lack and he's also a fine shotblocker...he's almost 7 feet tall, yet he has the athletic ability of a 6'5 shooting guard. All he needs to do is stop taking jumpers and he'll be good...and he can't do that unless he gets more playing time

tiger0330

Legend
The CBA states you can not force a player (more or less) to play in The D League, meaning The Knicks could suggest it to Randolph and he has the right to say yes or no.

AR has been the lone disappointment for me this season, I think the skill is there, but he really lacks the confidence about playing in this league that a 3rd year player should have.

I do wonder how much of that is our coachings staff's fault, I mean he did not look great in Europe (Pre Season) but he played with confidence and meaning and when he made a mistake he wasnt looking to see if he was going to get pulled, so how much further a long would he be if he was allowed to play through his mistakes during the season?
incorrect.

The NBA Developmental League (NBA D-League) is a separate league run in affiliation with the NBA. Teams may assign up to two of their players to an NBA D-League team. Only players with fewer than two years' experience may be assigned to an NBA D-League team, and each player can be assigned no more than three times per season. If an active player is assigned, he is automatically placed on the team's Inactive List. There is no minimum or maximum length of an NBA D-League assignment, and players have 48 hours to report to the NBA D-League team once they are assigned. Players continue to receive their NBA salary while assigned to the NBA D-League.

NBA D-League rosters are normally 10 players, but can expand to 12 to accommodate assigned NBA players. In some cases where one team might be overstocked with assignees or players at a particular position, players might be reassigned to a different team. NBA teams do not control the playing time their assignees receive -- that matter is up to the discretion of the NBA D-League coaches.

jpz17

Starter
Amen brother, Randolph won't get anything done on the bench. If you won't play him, send him down.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Thing is Randolph averaged 11 PPG last year whilst only playing 22 minutes per game (granted it was only a third of the season but still).

He's far too good for the D League...if he went there he'd just use his athleticism to beat everybody and he wouldn't really be growing. It'd be like expecting me to study for the GRE by coloring children's books...

Starks

Starter
There's two variables that are the reason for AR's benching:

1. The Knicks rotation is providing great results
2. Practice performance

If the current rotaion isn't broke, why tweak it and risk falling behind? At some point Stat is going to need a little rest, but right now the cost/benefit of inserting a raw Randolph is not on the side of winning games. Throwing him out on the court is a huge gamble, and from the way he has played when given time, why on earth would anyone want him in games? He looks like absolute scrub and we all have seen that with our own eyes.

As for practice, we aren't really aware of what goes on behind the doors. But we all know players get rewarded for they play in practice. Hell even Roger Mason and Shawn Williams worked there way into small intervals of play based on their effort during practice. If someone that has as much skills as we seem to say AR owns has not been given a chance to play, that should tell you something.

I have complete faith in our head coach. If he thinks AR has not worked his way onto the court, I think its better to listen to him over fans.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Problem is AR hasn't even been given a CHANCE. He's played in a handful of games and we all know that players have bad games or bad stretches of games. D'Antoni didn't put Gallo in the doghouse after Gallo had a terrible start to the season or a god-awful shooting night against the Cavaliers; D'Antoni didn't put Toney Douglas in the doghouse after Douglas singlehandedly chucked the team out of some games earlier on in the season, why is D'Antoni going to put Randolph in the doghouse?

Randolph's worst games haven't even been as bad as Gallo's or Douglas'...Randolph had a game where he went 1-7 and another game where he went 2-7 and that's pretty much as much playing time as he ever got...he's a good rebounder and shotblocker (he's blocked 7 shots in a total of around 104 minutes of playing time...assuming the average player plays 36 minutes a game, Randolph's blocked over 2 shots a game per 36 minutes...that's insane considering half of his minutes were garbage minutes...), he's athletic, tall, and can play anywhere from Center to Shooting Guard.

I don't know why we haven't at least given him a shot...granted, it's not a good time to be experimenting, but they also play some scrub teams in January. Randolph should've at least gotten to play against the Warriors.

Current rotation is:

PG - Felton
SG - Fields
SF - Gallo
PF - Chandler
C - Amar'e

Bench:

G - Toney Douglas
F - Shawne Williams
F/C - Ronny Turiaf

We should take that 8 man rotation and round it out into a 10 man one. We need another guard and another forward. The forward should be Randolph, the guard should be Walker, and when the Gov gets better he should play C, shifting Amar'e to PF and Chandler to the 6th man role

Last edited:
Ar= Trash The David Lee Trade was too not let Lee Walk and pick up some great players. Nobody was left out there for us to pick up and we weren't going to retain Lee. Randolph just comes on the cheap, I wish we hadn't picked up that team option on him so we would have more cap when he is a free agent

Knicksdabest

Benchwarmer
Is it just me or does AR have no personality at all?He always seems so miserable,despite what's happening lol.He has no emotion whatsoever.He should be sent to the d-league though,no use in just having him sit out all game when he could turn out to be a good player.

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
Problem is AR hasn't even been given a CHANCE. He's played in a handful of games and we all know that players have bad games or bad stretches of games. D'Antoni didn't put Gallo in the doghouse after Gallo had a terrible start to the season or a god-awful shooting night against the Cavaliers; D'Antoni didn't put Toney Douglas in the doghouse after Douglas singlehandedly chucked the team out of some games earlier on in the season, why is D'Antoni going to put Randolph in the doghouse?

Randolph's worst games haven't even been as bad as Gallo's or Douglas'...Randolph had a game where he went 1-7 and another game where he went 2-7 and that's pretty much as much playing time as he ever got...he's a good rebounder and shotblocker (he's blocked 7 shots in a total of around 104 minutes of playing time...assuming the average player plays 36 minutes a game, Randolph's blocked over 2 shots a game per 36 minutes...that's insane considering half of his minutes were garbage minutes...), he's athletic, tall, and can play anywhere from Center to Shooting Guard.

I don't know why we haven't at least given him a shot...granted, it's not a good time to be experimenting, but they also play some scrub teams in January. Randolph should've at least gotten to play against the Warriors.

Current rotation is:

PG - Felton
SG - Fields
SF - Gallo
PF - Chandler
C - Amar'e

Bench:

G - Toney Douglas
F - Shawne Williams
F/C - Ronny Turiaf

We should take that 8 man rotation and round it out into a 10 man one. We need another guard and another forward. The forward should be Randolph, the guard should be Walker, and when the Gov gets better he should play C, shifting Amar'e to PF and Chandler to the 6th man role

Completely agree, Gallinari can go 0-13 and it won't matter. Douglas can go 0-9 and it won't matter. And it doesn't matter what AR does he won't come out of the dog house. AR incentive is to go practice with Fat Curry, shit that is depressing. When in fact AR is traded which I hope is not the case, I will root the hell out of him. I love his all-around game!

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Seriously Gallo's bad games have been just as bad if not worse than AR's bad games...why the hell is Gallo not getting the doghouse treatment, then? He didn't, and look at what happened, he improved his game and took better shots.

I can't tell you how many times Gallo has pissed the hell out of me by chucking up some truly terrible 3's. Same goes for Douglas, and for, well, everybody on this team once in a while. AR getting the doghouse treatment...I dunno why, it's just not fair for him and it's not the best thing for us considering we could use SIZE and SHOTBLOCKING and REBOUNDING and AR brings ALL THREE of those

Starks

Starter
Lets analyze this when the Knicks go on a losing streak. We haven't played this great in an decade so lets just sit back and stop bitching over things that aren't worth a few minutes of thought.