Questions I would ask D'Antoni in a press conference

shaolin

Benchwarmer
1. What do you think the Knicks lack as far as talent? (i.e rebounding, defense, backup point guard, etc)

2. Could you incorporate a 6'7 small forward who can guard the post and perimeter well but does not have much of an offensive game into your basketball system/philosophy?

3. What would you consider a successful season for the Knicks? 4/5 seed?

legend33

Rookie
i'd ask him why in the hell isn't he starting turiaf or mosgov?

we're CONSISTENTLY getting freakin DESTROYED on the glass mans...

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
i'd ask him why in the hell isn't he starting turiaf or mosgov?

we're CONSISTENTLY getting freakin DESTROYED on the glass mans...

Have you watched the Knicks at all this season? When Moz was starting they went what was it...3 and 9? Turiaf is physically unable to play more than what he's currently playing and that is about 5 minutes per game too much; that is why is always injured.... Turiaf is a 20 minute per game player.

legend33

Rookie
Have you watched the Knicks at all this season? When Moz was starting they went what was it...3 and 9? Turiaf is physically unable to play more than what he's currently playing and that is about 5 minutes per game too much; that is why is always injured.... Turiaf is a 20 minute per game player.

u sound likea lil dicked wimp assh*le man....

**** is wrong with you, calling my ass out like that lil kiddo?

ive probably watched almost every game this season kid, we are getting F*CKED IN THE AZZ on the boards...

Have YOU ****in watched every game little boi? Do you even play basketball? Or are you one of those fans taht talk alotta shiyt but know nothing about real actual basketball?

lols w/es ur not worth my time, we need mosgov and turiaf more than we need 2 undersized forwards...

1. What do you think the Knicks lack as far as talent? (i.e rebounding, defense, backup point guard, etc)

2. Could you incorporate a 6'7 small forward who can guard the post and perimeter well but does not have much of an offensive game into your basketball system/philosophy?

3. What would you consider a successful season for the Knicks? 4/5 seed?

I'd ask him if he knows the NBA lets you play zone defense now.

I'd also ask him why has has so much disdain for legitimate centers.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I would ask him what they are teaching/training Randolph (and Moz) so he can get better.

D'Antoni is notorious for not practicing the starters during the season so he can afford to play them heavy minutes during games.

So what are they practicing and teaching the guys that are not playing?

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru

ive probably watched almost every game this season kid, we are getting F*CKED IN THE AZZ on the boards...

Have YOU ****in watched every game little boi? Do you even play basketball? Or are you one of those fans taht talk alotta shiyt but know nothing about real actual basketball?

lols w/es ur not worth my time, we need mosgov and turiaf more than we need 2 undersized forwards...

?????????? Not really sure what you are saying

buddy

I get it, your passionate about rebounds, but he didnt call you out lol

if there is one thing about knocksonline.com , for the veterans of this website; it consists of one factor, and that is if you are going to argue, state facts to support your argument.

dont just curse people out nonsensically as you previously did towards HTguy

HTguy stated

we were in fact 3-8 when mozgof started truth

and HTguy also stated

Turiaf cannot play more than 20 minutes a game truth

both true facts, as to why Mike D wont start either one of them.

Amare is in the top 6 in the league in blocks, and sadly enough next to landry fields is our most consistent game to game rebounder despite what you think/ turiaf for the minutes he gets is quite inconsistent on the boards, a result of him focusing on help weak side defense altering shots, and not being in position to rebound on a regular possession to possession basis. .

Mozgof per minute is actually a terrible rebounder, and has poor NBA level timing despite his large frame and athleticism.

Turiaf could start, but that would give us NOOOO legit back up big man to give amare a breather.

you would basically be wasting Turiafs minutes next to Amare only to have to sit both of them

and then who do you bring in to spell your two best big men ?????

no one

its the same logic behind why Shaq and Alonzo mourning never started together in Miami.

you dont start your two best big men together unless you have an equal big man to fill in off the bench

essentially a really good move by COACH D.

either way

LEGEND

relax dude

I appreciate your passion and excitement, but the cursing, and down trodding of other posters for no apparent reason other than a logical response is misplaced here.

:thumbsup:

Madhatter9382

Benchwarmer
Interesting topic...

I'd like to ask if he's concerned about wear and tear on our starters (especially Amare) as the season goes on.

I also want to know why he went small against the Magic/Howard

Yo chill lil ***** you sound 15 don't come at my son Home he's Og and steady dropping great threads and posts ya ass ain't even make 1/6 the good post he has see that green rep.

You Rady do me a favor drop a ban on this little *****

MSGhobo247

Rotation player
How do we handle our rebounding problems? (others have brought this up already)

and

Do you think we can keep this pace up for the entire season with the amount of minutes played by a small group of players?

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
buddy

I get it, your passionate about rebounds, but he didnt call you out lol

if there is one thing about knocksonline.com , for the veterans of this website; it consists of one factor, and that is if you are going to argue, state facts to support your argument.

dont just curse people out nonsensically as you previously did towards HTguy

HTguy stated

we were in fact 3-8 when mozgof started truth

and HTguy also stated

Turiaf cannot play more than 20 minutes a game truth

both true facts, as to why Mike D wont start either one of them.

Amare is in the top 6 in the league in blocks, and sadly enough next to landry fields is our most consistent game to game rebounder despite what you think/ turiaf for the minutes he gets is quite inconsistent on the boards, a result of him focusing on help weak side defense altering shots, and not being in position to rebound on a regular possession to possession basis. .

Mozgof per minute is actually a terrible rebounder, and has poor NBA level timing despite his large frame and athleticism.

Turiaf could start, but that would give us NOOOO legit back up big man to give amare a breather.

you would basically be wasting Turiafs minutes next to Amare only to have to sit both of them

and then who do you bring in to spell your two best big men ?????

no one

its the same logic behind why Shaq and Alonzo mourning never started together in Miami.

you dont start your two best big men together unless you have an equal big man to fill in off the bench

essentially a really good move by COACH D.

either way

LEGEND

relax dude

I appreciate your passion and excitement, but the cursing, and down trodding of other posters for no apparent reason other than a logical response is misplaced here.

:thumbsup:

100% correct about Moz and another point about Turiaf is, he is as good rebounder and he is a prolific shot blocker but not the greatest defender, He has no lateral quickness and is foul prone as well; ends up playing defense with his hands a not his whole body.... That's why 20 minutes is his "sweet spot".

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
1. I'd have to ask to see his play book. Particularly go to 4th quarter plays. Not post up STAT, but some sort of genius concoction that warrants his merit as an O.G - offensive genius. I am still unconvinced that he's ahead of the field in any way from a lot of his counterparts. If it's the case, and he is this O.G, then surely his creativity should allow him to reach deeper in to his bench with the likes of Randolph playing.

2. His honest views on traditional pivot play.

3. Why his father named his brother Dan.

skisloper

Starter
what i cannot understand is that nobody thought the Knicks would be as good as they are at this point in the season. Yet more complaints then ever.

Everyone question D'Antonio but he seems to have the knicks with a winning record and yes I would call the 6th seed for the playoffs a winning season for us.

So may people on this board argued about STAT....why do we need him if we could have had david Lee for less ? You all forget so soon........Now STAT is having a break-out year and YES the coach does have something to do with that. Remember the first few games when everyone was down on STAT and the coach for not getting Stat the ball down low....More Complaints.

The new complaint is we cannot compete with the Elite teams. Well that is correct we cannot. We are missing one more superstar.

As for Mozgov I had the pleasure of being on the court before the Knicks game and watched the trainer work with him on rebounds...More then a few times the coach would say " Tim you did not see that the ball was going right ?" Tim u did not see the ball was going left " ....This is the samething I say to my 10 year olds that I coach....No knock on TIM but he is not ready...

People have actually argued about Nate, Hill and Milisc and how well they are now doing......Nate is back to the bench with Rondo healthy avergaring 12 minutes, Hill comes and goes ( look at last night ) and Milisc is on one day off the other.......Thats not what we needed.

Everyone should appreciate that we have a winning record, as of now heading to the playoffs, have cap room to sign a superstar or 2 quality players, we have Randolph who at anytime we can trade for a first rounder....

Red

TYPE-A
1. Given your reputation as being an offensive coach, and the use and philosophy of the SSOL (spread P & R), when exactly has this approach been PROVEN to succeed? You seem so adamant about instilling this system, but when has it produced champions?

2. What don't you see in AR's game that warrants diminished playing time? Besides D12, what CENTER in the league would fit best and warrant playing time?

3. What do you feel is a better approach: play 7-8 players who lack size, will get worn down, but make the playoffs and be ousted -or- play 9-10 guys, reduce injury/wear, maybe get a lower seed, actually develop bigs for the future, get ousted? What's better?

BleedOrange&Blue

Benchwarmer
1. Given your reputation as being an offensive coach, and the use and philosophy of the SSOL (spread P & R), when exactly has this approach been PROVEN to succeed? You seem so adamant about instilling this system, but when has it produced champions?

2. What don't you see in AR's game that warrants diminished playing time? Besides D12, what CENTER in the league would fit best and warrant playing time?

3. What do you feel is a better approach: play 7-8 players who lack size, will get worn down, but make the playoffs and be ousted -or- play 9-10 guys, reduce injury/wear, maybe get a lower seed, actually develop bigs for the future, get ousted? What's better?

Rhetorical much? Good points none the less :).

I get the lets lengthen our rotation bit, but at you can't seriously be so naive to not realize Mike D'Antoni wants to keep his job. If I am correct people on this forum and others wanted D'Antoni's head when we started 3-8. During that time D'Antoni was giving AR, Walker Mozgov and Mason their chance to make an impression. As a result we sucked something nasty and he did not have a choice but to "win now."

As for your suggestion about whats better develop your talent or take a higher seed, I think you assume that playing AR and co. will get us into the playoffs, which is at least debatable. I personally could see getting a higher playoff seed and giving ourselves a chance to upset Chicago and get into the 2nd round as much more beneficial to the development of our players. Wilson, Gallo, Felton and Fields would stand to gain a lot from playing a meaningful playoff series, as opposed to getting swept by Miami or Boston in the first round. As for the ARs and Mozgov's they got plenty of time to develop in practice.

Just my 2 cents I guess...

It will be interesting however, to see what D'Antoni does now that Gallo is injured. Does he go with Turiaf at PF, Chandler at SF and Amar'e at C? or does he bring in Shawne Williams whos 15 minutes seemed to have expired.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Probably Turiaf at C and Amar'e at PF.

With regards to the rotation...I don't buy that the Knicks' 3-8 start had anything to do with AR or Mozgov or Walker or anyone else. We were 3-8 because we had a brand new team, not because we weren't giving our starters enough minutes.

Our subsequent winning record has nothing to do with not playing certain guys, either. It's not like AR or Mozgov was getting a ton of minutes even in the beginning anyway.

I'm really hoping this development forces coach to put Turiaf in the starting lineup and thus have to rely on either Mozgov of Randolph as backup for the 4 and 5 spots

Red

TYPE-A
Rhetorical much? Good points none the less :).

I get the lets lengthen our rotation bit, but at you can't seriously be so naive to not realize Mike D'Antoni wants to keep his job. If I am correct people on this forum and others wanted D'Antoni's head when we started 3-8. During that time D'Antoni was giving AR, Walker Mozgov and Mason their chance to make an impression. As a result we sucked something nasty and he did not have a choice but to "win now."

As for your suggestion about whats better develop your talent or take a higher seed, I think you assume that playing AR and co. will get us into the playoffs, which is at least debatable. I personally could see getting a higher playoff seed and giving ourselves a chance to upset Chicago and get into the 2nd round as much more beneficial to the development of our players. Wilson, Gallo, Felton and Fields would stand to gain a lot from playing a meaningful playoff series, as opposed to getting swept by Miami or Boston in the first round. As for the ARs and Mozgov's they got plenty of time to develop in practice.

Just my 2 cents I guess...

It will be interesting however, to see what D'Antoni does now that Gallo is injured. Does he go with Turiaf at PF, Chandler at SF and Amar'e at C? or does he bring in Shawne Williams whos 15 minutes seemed to have expired.

You can't be so naive or short-sighted enough to not believe that while "saving his job" MDA is actually hindering our future...but thanks for pointing out the obvious. Good job. BTW he's always done what he has felt was best for himself, ever since he got here... that's nothing new.

On to the "experience" given to Wilson, Gallo, Felton & Fields:
1. Wilson will be a free agent who we probably can't afford if we plan on up grading our most needed pos.'s

2. Felton has playoff experience

3. Gallo has played in more than one game that mimicked a playoff atmosphere... he was absent and inconstent at best when facing elite talent

People wanted MDA fired after going 3-8 because the flaws in his approach and philosophy, combined with the inevitable fact that players will wear down, and the fact that no matter how perfect we execute our offense, we're still not good enough to be where we want. With Amare & Felt that actually became more obvious.

Don't let our record fool you; that of which is a small sampling and short-term indication -vs- multiple years and teams worth of knowledge and facts... again the only valid conclusion to draw is yes some posters were right (we can do better with better players) but more so, even with better players, the system and approach isn't championship worthy and is flawed and easily exposed by fundamentals and talent.

On to big men... the issue isn't "he should of played AR or Moz and we would've won"... that's speculative at best.
No the issue is based on facts: No matter how offensively gifted a team is, interior presence is needed to beat better teams. Playing a big in spurts is better than not at all. Fouling can be used strategically and every player is allowed 6. Some claim our record at 3-8 and subsequent improvement was based on removing AR and going small, but never say going small is why we lost other games, and prevents us from competing.

So after three years of this you hit me with "Moz and AR have time to develop in practice"... sorry but I'm smh! Develop like who? To do what? Please stop this imagining things. Deal with the facts.

MDA's system doesn't value traditional bigs that naturally play center, nor does he develop bigs or defense..... which means acquiring AR was a potential waste of an asset.... as well as paying 3mil for Moz.... which means we will continually get killed on the boards.... which means no matter who we have (or get) as long as we take this approach we will lose games in the long run.... and potentially players to injury and fatigue (furthering our demise).

But the good news is, we'll sell mad tickets and MDA's job will be safe.
Shaking my f*cking head!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

nyk_nyk

All Star
You can't be so naive or short-sighted enough to not believe that while "saving his job" MDA is actually hindering our future...but thanks for pointing out the obvious. Good job. BTW he's always done what he has felt was best for himself, ever since he got here... that's nothing new.

1. Wilson will be a free agent who we probably can't afford if we plan on up grading our most needed pos.'s

3. Gallo has played in more than one game that mimicked a playoff atmosphere... he was absent and inconstent at best when facing elite talent

People wanted MDA fired after going 3-8 because the flaws in his approach and philosophy, combined with the inevitable fact that players will wear down, and the fact that no matter how perfect we execute our offense, we're still not good enough to be where we want. With Amare & Felt that actually became more obvious.

Don't let our record fool you; that of which is a small sampling and short-term indication -vs- multiple years and teams worth of knowledge and facts... again the only valid conclusion to draw is yes some posters were right (we can do better with better players) but more so, even with better players, the system and approach isn't championship worthy and is flawed and easily exposed by fundamentals and talent.

On to big men... the issue isn't "he should of played AR or Moz and we would've won"... that's speculative at best.
No the issue is based on facts: No matter how offensively gifted a team is, interior presence is needed to beat better teams. Playing a big in spurts is better than not at all. Fouling can be used strategically and every player is allowed 6. Some claim our record at 3-8 and subsequent improvement was based on removing AR and going small, but never say going small is why we lost other games, and prevents us from competing.

So after three years of this you hit me with "Moz and AR have time to develop in practice"... sorry but I'm smh! Develop like who? To do what? Please stop this imagining things. Deal with the facts.

MDA's system doesn't value traditional bigs that naturally play center, nor does he develop bigs or defense..... which means acquiring AR was a potential waste of an asset.... as well as paying 3mil for Moz.... which means we will continually get killed on the boards.... which means no matter who we have (or get) as long as we take this approach we will lose games in the long run.... and potentially players to injury and fatigue (furthering our demise).

Damn good post.

In keeping with the theme of the thread, I would ask Dantoni if he thinks its a failure on his part that AR has been banished to the bench seeing how he praised him so much in the preseason.

Quick story guys:

I use to play basketball with my boys and as you know there is always that guy who isnt particularly skilled. Anyway, whenever that guy was on my squad I'd give him specific instructions on the court to maximize what he did do well. He was aggressive on defense and had some length. I had him guard the shooter and his only responsibility was staying with his man no matter what. Anyway it worked and we won.

I find it hard that a professional coach can't get a "max potential" player on the floor and assign him responsibilities. Players like Birdman, Evans, Mcghee, (Rodman), Turiaf... are not skilled all around players but they have/had something to lend to the success of their teams.

People like to point out that AR looked lost on offense and he forced the issue too much. Well, Dantoni's practices are either weak or don't heavily include the bigs on the bench. I'm guessing the latter. I'm not a huge AR fan but at the same time I think he's too good to be burried on someones bench.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru

Red, you are way off and your bias against D'Antoni is glaring in your arguments!
You reference D'Antoni's system in your arguments but don't really break down what you think his system is or what about his system you think is bunk!
First of all, everyone talks about his "Blanton" disregard of defense and judging every player on their offensive qualities but you might be surprised to know that D'Antoni's Suns has ranked in the top 10 in multiple defensive categories! Traditionally his defense has players playing off the ball, not applying man pressure in order to close out lanes at all times to avoid penetration to the basket; Essentially his strategy is to turn the game into a jump-shooting contest; which of course he feels he can win that contest.
Also, you insinuate that he prefers smaller lineups when the fact is that he just makes do with what he has! Marion was in Phoenix before he was and when D'Antoni moved him to the 4 spot and Amare to the 5, that's when they became all stars. He's kind of doing the same thing here with the Knicks. Moving Chandler to the 4 spot has propelled him to a higher level! I think the reason why they went after Anthony Randolph is they thought they would get what Chandler is giving them from him and you would have 2 tall, very athletic bigs... Things don't always work out like they are planned and now he has an undersized 4 again.... But it is working and the team is wining. So relax, sit back and enjoy your team that is finally exciting and fun! Walsh will tweak it a little more and I'm sure it the roster will improve without destroying what is WORKING!