Keeping Chandler?

Red

TYPE-A
THANKS WALSH!

F*ck the Wilson Chandler haters...

This is what skill looks like.

BleedOrange&Blue

Benchwarmer
I and others have explained that if we trade Gallo and other unnecessary pieces now, we can use Chandler's Bird Rights and lock him up at a reasonable price during the offseason.

moneyg

Starter
so....if chandler is a part of our future, gallo is as good as gone.

expendable gallo.. and most of all, this statement sends a bullet at Denver... dont even think about us including chandler....

i think Will will settle more for about 7-8 mil starting will annual increase of 10%.. more like 45 over 5..if he gets 60 mil.. its gotta be over 6 years if the new CBA will allow it..

Kiyaman

Legend
About time Wilson Chandler is recognize by management!
I was happy as hell when Portland turned Walsh down in a
trade for Chandler for Rudy Fernandez. Portland wouldve had
alot of long winning streaks this season with Wilson Chandler.

I think the only guys in Chandler's draft class to get an extension
were Durant, Horford, Conley, and Noah. Guys like Jeff Green,
Oden (obviously), Marc Gasol, Stuckey, and Brooks also got
snubbed for an extension.

Guys like Chandler/ Brooks/ Gasol/ and Green are going to receive
$2M to $4M more per season then what they wouldve received in
an extension. What makes it bad is that the majority of their
owners are the ones who have been crying the most about
teams over paying players.
Do the Knicks really need cap-space for the 2011 offseason?
if so for who SF-Melo or C-Mark Gasol?
or should the Knicks give playingtime to more players on their roster
to lift the trade-value of players on the roster to trade on the deadline?
Do the Knicks really need to sign max FA SF-Melo?
The Knicks do have both sizes in SF on the roster..... in
6.7 Fields/ 6.8 Chandler/ 6.9 S.Williams/ 6.10 Gallo?

BleedOrange&Blue

Benchwarmer
Its amazing ow all the gallo lovers cease to exist right now, I guess this makes me happy? As for Wilson I got on the bandwagon a long time ago as soon as I saw how well he recovered from his injury. The Knicks need to find a way to retain Chandler, they could start by putting him up on the All-Star Ballot and quit hyping overrated Gallo.

His emergence as a legitimate third option gives us the liberty to forget about Gallo and possibly not depend on getting Melo so much either. The Knicks have a legit big three of Stat, Ray and Will. All tree are level headed character guys who play well off each other and gives us a solid offensive core while providing reasonable defense. Fields is the perfect role player in that e plays right off our big three, getting rebounds, hustle plays and blending in our offense seamlessly.

Our WEAK LINK has always been Gallo. I'm not saying hes a bad player, but rather way to inconsistent and his offense is redundant as Chandler, Walker and Shawne Williams can all shoot threes at a reasonable percentage. If we can trade Gallo, Randolph and some draft picks for a Center and a back-up point guard we will have an elite 9 man rotation.

Mock Roster

PG Ray
SG Fields
SF W. Chandler
PF Amar'e
C T. Chandler

F/C Turiaf
PG/SG Douglas
PG Luke Ridnour

While I have been a pessimist for a long time, I think the time for pessimism is is over. Time to look at what we got.. and give Donnie Walsh his due as he as got to be in the run for executive of the year. As he took Isiah's Knicks and cleaned house top to bottom leaving us with

1. Young Talent (Chandler, Fields)
2. Leadership STAT and Felton
3. Winning Record 20-14
4. Cap Space The ability to sign Chandler and a Center or possibly Melo

NYKLiFER

Benchwarmer
Wtf ???

so....if chandler is a part of our future, gallo is as good as gone.

Hey just wanted to say don't you think its about time to change that stupid "if Duhon was here he would be ....." I think Felton is doing a pretty good job

NYKLiFER

Benchwarmer
my bad

Hey just wanted to say don't you think its about time to change that stupid "if Duhon was here he would be ....." I think Felton is doing a pretty good job

not that i said anything bad. but, i see it was that Paul dude hey paul change that line......

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Great news!!

I have doubted Chandler in the past but always felt that if he improved his outside shot and ball handling and learned to be more aggressive and not settle for the 3-point shot all the time, that he could be very good. To his credit, he has accomplished all of those and has turned into a complete player.

And, we can still resign Chandler + max free agent in the summer. Bill Walker has a Team Option and Mozgov is a non-guaranteed contract. Waiving those two affords us the ability to sign Chandler's Qualifying Offer, sign a max and then give Chandler his money and exceed the cap.

Donnie's cap manipulation is genius.

iSaYughh

Starter
Good news. But why such a surprise? He's played great, is young, wants to be a Knick, always has been. And after letting Lee go, there was a huge premium on Walsh keeping a Knick, a la Lee, who had been here a few years and gradually improved to borderline all-star performance, and then became a FA.

This doesn't preclude him from being traded, however, IMO -- just he will be signed if the option is there in the offseason.

This Gallo shittalk is mostly nonsense, though. Per usual. :) We won the very game he got injured in because...of him. And Gallo has won more games "by himself"/being dominant, in a shorter career, than Wilson has. So those arguments are beyond null about talent/dominance. Gallo has a great attitude also -- like Wilson.

Gallos injury followed by a great win where Wilson played great is just the perfect oil to get the hype machine chugging, and sensationalize Chandler and de-value Gallo.

Chandler is awesome and a terrific piece to a championship puzzle. I still feel Gallo has a better game, is a superior talent, and will become the better player; through this season and next season -- which would pit him at equal age and roughly equal experience to where Chandler is now. That's just an IMHO, and only a bit more time will be the judge on that. Much like Chandlers evaluation this season, and D'ant as coach, as well.

Ideally, I'd love one to become a bigtime 6th man, w Melo on team as our 4.

Last edited:

iSaYughh

Starter
Great news!!

I have doubted Chandler in the past but always felt that if he improved his outside shot and ball handling and learned to be more aggressive and not settle for the 3-point shot all the time, that he could be very good. To his credit, he has accomplished all of those and has turned into a complete player.

And, we can still resign Chandler + max free agent in the summer. Bill Walker has a Team Option and Mozgov is a non-guaranteed contract. Waiving those two affords us the ability to sign Chandler's Qualifying Offer, sign a max and then give Chandler his money and exceed the cap.

Donnie's cap manipulation is genius.

Excellent small-print pt on Moz's contract. I had been wondering how we'd deal him out of cap necessity. Can we retain Turiaf, too? Even sign another bench playing big, if we let AR go? Hmm.

Moz is 3M. Randolps is the equiv of 5 if we keep. Same for Turiaf -- 5M. Azzy, Walker, Curry melting.

Imagine

Felton
Fields
Chandler/Gallo
Melo
STAT
6th Chandler/Gallo

bench -- Douglas, turiaf, Williams, we still have rights to Jerome Jordan and we have 2 second rounders this draft for Walsh to further refine the bench.

Maybe unstoppable.