DON'T BLAME 'MELO - They are makign him a villain.

mafra

Legend
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Asebg7IO48193FRHDq.cl0A5nYcB?slug=aw-anthonyfeature011311

‘Melo’s trade becomes agenda battle

The commissioner, the owner, the agents, they’re running one big hustle on Carmelo Anthony. Together, they’ve thrust him into a circumstance where the Denver Nuggets and New Jersey Nets are holding hostage basketball seasons, and everything’s playing out to turn a popular NBA star into a villain.

As NBA commissioner David Stern threatens doomsday labor-talk scenarios – rollbacks of existing contracts, tens of millions of dollars out of the pockets of NBA stars, the nuking of the players union – Anthony is too terrified to go into free agency. And why wouldn’t he be, when the commissioner is pushing to someday make himself the highest-paid player in the NBA.

Anthony is forced to leave a terrific basketball market largely because this has become a sport of stars who need to play for great owners and great management teams. He doesn’t want to stay with the Nuggets. Stan Kroenke has invested hundreds of millions into the Nuggets, and he fired a past executive of the year – Mark Warkentien – so he could have his 30-year-old son, Josh, and a former international scout, Masai Ujiri, make the trade of his franchise star.

They’ll be judged on the results, which is good, because the process has been clumsy. Mostly, it’s confirmed the reasons Anthony wants out: The Nuggets are far more farce than they are formidable.

Too bad, too. Anthony likes those fans, that city, and he hates that it had to play out this way. Only, he has no choice. ‘Melo lived through the dysfunction and ethical nightmares of Bret Bearup as a force in the Nuggets’ front office, and he watched Warkentien have his contract expire and let go without legitimate reason.

When Ujiri had a deal in place with New Jersey and Detroit over the weekend to finally move Anthony to the Nets, he backed away. Why? Stan Kroenke didn’t like the deal, a league source said. Never mind the three teams had all but agreed on it. For Kroenke, the Nuggets were taking back too much salary. “Kroenke has laid down a parameter they can’t take contracts back and they need to dump as much [money] as possible,” a league source said.
Kroenke is someone who Anthony should fear: As an NFL owner, Kroenke loves the hard salary cap and is pushing hard to see it implemented in the NBA. Anthony’s playing the game the way Denver’s owner and the league’s commissioner framed it: Get yours, and get it now.

The consequences of these trade talks dragging on and on have destroyed two seasons – the Nuggets and the Nets. They’ve insulted paying customers in Colorado and New Jersey, and left Anthony at the mercy of his most dubious decision of all: Hiring Leon Rose and William Wesley of CAA to represent him.

As happened with LeBron James’ inner-circle last summer, there’s a growing tension within Anthony’s camp over the agendas of the agents. Rose and Wesley – the famous Worldwide Wes – have pushed for the Nuggets to make a deal with the Nets. Wesley is a close associate of Nets minority owner, Jay-Z, and everyone believes he wants a further entr?e into the lair of Russian billionaire owner Mikhail Prokhorov. Within the league, they all get it: Wes wants access to Prokhorov’s empire, wants to get the coaches he reps hired in Jersey and get full access to the franchise.

After they deliver New Orleans’ Chris Paul to the Nets – which could be impossible with Richard Hamilton’s contract clogging the salary cap – Wesley will have what he wants: a franchise to call his own. CAA is selling itself as the powerhouse agency that’ll package you with the stars, but that’s easy in free agency. How’s it worked for Anthony and Paul? How’s CAA helped their images? How have they muscled teams into doing deals for them?

Rose is ultimately indebted to Wesley as the recruiting muscle of his agency, but has a unique affinity and loyalty to Hamilton. Hamilton is one of his longest-standing clients, and Rose wants badly to pull Hamilton away from the rebuilding Pistons and partner him with Anthony and Chauncey Billups in New Jersey. Rose – not anyone else – constructed the idea to send Hamilton to the Nets. How this all benefits Anthony remains a mystery.

Yes, it gets Anthony his $65 million now. It makes him the centerpiece of the 2012 move into Brooklyn and all. Yet, Anthony keeps hearing Ujiri and his agents tell him: The Knicks don’t have a deal for you. The Knicks aren’t trying that hard (which isn’t true). Anthony watched all his free-agent buddies get everything they wanted over the summer – LeBron and Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh and Amar’e Stoudemire – and wonders: Why do I have to settle? Why do I have to become the bad guy this season?

“There are so many different agendas at play in this deal,” one league official said. “But there’s no question: Leon and Wes want [the Nets] – even if it’s for different reasons.”

In every way, Anthony is a pawn in a bigger game. He’ll be blamed as the reason basketball seasons in Denver and New Jersey have collapsed under the weight of his trade talks. Only, he has no choice. This is his free agency now, and he’s trapped from above with the agendas of David Stern and Stan Kroenke, and those below with Leon Rose and Worldwide Wes. In the end, they’ll get everything they want out of this lost season.
And ‘Melo, he’ll probably end up in Jersey.

Last edited:

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Honestly, I only read the first line because I'm funk as druck. But the league needs successful villains.

Any victory is sweetened by the defeat of a creton.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Melo doesn't have to settle. He can go where he wants if he waits until free agency. That's why there is free agency. To allow players to go where they want. He didn't have to demand to be traded.

He's earned over $100 mil in his career so far. I am not going to shed a single tear for Melo. Poor Melo, he has to take $50 mil instead of $65 mil. Sheesh. Woe is me. I only wish I had his problems.

mafra

Legend
Melo doesn't have to settle. He can go where he wants if he waits until free agency. That's why there is free agency. To allow players to go where they want. He didn't have to demand to be traded.

He's earned over $100 mil in his career so far. I am not going to shed a single tear for Melo. Poor Melo, he has to take $50 mil instead of $65 mil. Sheesh. Woe is me. I only wish I had his problems.

Accroding to the NY Post:

Walsh, however, is reluctant to break up his team for Anthony, hoping he waits until summer.

Walsh can get a first-round pick from Minnesota for Anthony Randolph, but is not looking to burn all his young assets in a trade for Anthony. Walsh may need them over the summer in a sign-and-trade when he seeks a starting center, with restricted free agents DeAndre Jordan and Marc Gasol on the radar.

The Knicks' ideal scenario is Anthony spurns the Nets and takes a leap of faith by becoming a free-agent this summer when the Knicks have cap space. But Anthony said last month at the Garden he wants to sign an extension and not risk free agency under a new CBA.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/source_knicks_grizzlies_melo_talk_Ozbw4gnhenyKLnhQOTSJXN

-----------

It might make more sense just to wait this out and see how bad Carmelo wants to be a free agent. Which NY team is better:

A

Felton-Williams-Anthony-Chandler-Amare (Douglas, Walker, Turiaf)

B

Felton-Fields-Gallo-Amare-Gasol (Chandler, Douglas, Williams, Walker, Turiaf)

Of course, a backup PG will eb involved in either case. AND, I would be in favor of dealing Randolph to MIN regardless. Have a lottery pick plus another 1st round pick i this year's draft is useful... Especially if we're trying to get MEMPHIS or CLIPPERS to ship us their RFA center.

Gasol or Jordan plus a 1st round pick (Kyrie Irving) + current team is pretty good too.

I guess they are all villians: Player, Owner, Agent

petescud

Starter
If it mean gutting our team for Melo, i think we should pass. WE need interior defense via a big man more then anything. We score around 100 points plus a game, so thats not our problem. Problem is we can't keep anyone under 100 and Melo doesn't help us there. I say if we can steal him great, if not move on. Funny thing is Jersey isn't going to go anywhere with Melo if they get him. I don't know about you guys but guys RIP's age get hurt all the time. Who replaces RIP when he miss' 20 games. Its all BS. We have a decent team, i think we should build off it. Get McGee, Anderson V and grab Minny's first rounder.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
I said this would happen.

This shitstorm, tho not as powerful as Lebron's, is quite fecal, lol.

God bless him.

pat

Starter
Problem is we can't keep anyone under 100

Taking into consideration the amount of shots opponents get in our system, keeping them below 100 is not the benchmark for good defense. Actually it is almost impossible. It is points per shot allowed. But we could we could improve in this department as well, though.

NYKLiFER

Benchwarmer
Wtf.....

I don't get it. I understand the situation but, MELO needs to just let em know NO I DON"T WANT JERSEY F ALL OF YOU I WANT NY PERIOD. It is obvious they all want him there for their own agendas. This is pathetic that they are making him out to be the bad Guy Melo could have just stayed shut and bolted at seasons end but, he felt that he owed it to his employer to let him know his wishes and now they have turned that around and are making him the Villain. Shyt if I was Doaln I would talk to him and let him know whatever the difference is Ex: 3 yrs 65Mil turns into 3 yrs 45Mil I will give you the difference after you retire a Knick period. He could set up an offshore account right now and in 10 years that 20Mil would be like 30Mil with interest. I may be wrong but, I believe they could get away with it.......

metrocard

Legend
Not only I don't like his game, Melo is a scumbag. It would be a blessing if we keep our younger and cheaper efficient homegrown talent in NYC where they belong and have gave us a memorable season thus far.