Am I crazy?, will Melo really help?

gmpknick

Benchwarmer
Just think about this..would I love to see Melo in Blue and Orange,,absolutley!
Would I love to see him and Amare out on a break?..absolutley!
Would I love to see Melo iso against D Wade and take him home..absolutley!!
Am I ready to but his jersey?..absolutley!
but...it seems like scoring points is not the problem'O...Does the top scoring team in the league need more scoring...OR should they look in the direction of a defensive stopper, maybe (2)...the team doesn't seem to need the offensive weapons as much as they need the defensive stoppers..

Getting Melo is great, and I still do want him in MSG, but it reallly doesn't help to see the Knicks lose, 135 to 131 cuz they can't get any stops..

G.Wallace type perhaps??:peace:

just say'n

nuckles2k2

Superstar
I agree that we need defensive stoppers, but I think we'd be better off looking for defensive stoppers to add to a core of Amar'e, Melo, and Felton as opposed to just Ray Felt and STAT.

We still don't have that "who you gonna let get theirs?" dynamic. Like a Gasol & Kobe, Pierce or KG (when the trade first took place), Duncan, Parker, or Ginobli?

Right now it's too easy for teams to either let STAT get his and stop everyone else, or double and triple team him and force everyone else to beat us. That second scenario only works in our favor when multiple people are on their game...both Chandler and Gallo.

I think we have to stop looking at this team like the rebuilding effort is finished...it's not. We're not at the stage where we need to add pieces here and there...we still don't have a team that can weather a 7-game series against the upper echelon teams. I know folks are in love with the roster because we're finally winning...but this team isn't as good as the Magic that lost in the finals 2 years ago, or even the 3-seed Hawks team last year.

Regular season wins do not always translate into playoff wins, what we need to do is stop trying to figure out how we can bolster our winning total this year to be a 5th seed, and focus on what'll make us a top 4 seeded team and championship contender in 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, etc.

skisloper

Starter
Just think about this..would I love to see Melo in Blue and Orange,,absolutley!
Would I love to see him and Amare out on a break?..absolutley!
Would I love to see Melo iso against D Wade and take him home..absolutley!!
Am I ready to but his jersey?..absolutley!
but...it seems like scoring points is not the problem'O...Does the top scoring team in the league need more scoring...OR should they look in the direction of a defensive stopper, maybe (2)...the team doesn't seem to need the offensive weapons as much as they need the defensive stoppers..

Getting Melo is great, and I still do want him in MSG, but it reallly doesn't help to see the Knicks lose, 135 to 131 cuz they can't get any stops..

G.Wallace type perhaps??:peace:

just say'n

The answer is YES.
GET MELO AND A BACK-UP POINT GUARD AND A BACK-UP TO AMARE AND WE COMPETE WITH TOPS IN THE EAST.

Felton
Gallo
Melo
Amare
Turiaf

la2ny

Starter
this is like the 10th different I'd love Melo but do we really need him thread lol.

Yes we do and Donnie Walsh and Amar'e know it. Just Ask em' :thumbsup:

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I would say this depends on what it will cost. A gutted team of Felton, Melo, Amare and a bunch of minimum salary scrubs is worse than the current team + someone like Tyson Chandler and Luke Ridnour.

If there is no MLE next year and we trade all our youth, assets and draft picks for 1 player, we're screwed and will never compete for anything. It's still better for us to wait until the summer.

mafra

Legend
If you can keep Chandler... YES. Get Melo.

If we have Felton-Chandler-Melo-STAT, we will find guys this summer. A guy like Deshawne Stevenson is a solid option. Plays great defense and is shooting 45% from downtown.

Felton
Stevenson
Anthony
Chandler
Amar'e

Douglas, Turiaf, Williams, Walker, Mozgov, Rautins, Jordan

skisloper

Starter
If you can keep Chandler... YES. Get Melo.

If we have Felton-Chandler-Melo-STAT, we will find guys this summer. A guy like Deshawne Stevenson is a solid option. Plays great defense and is shooting 45% from downtown.

Felton
Stevenson
Anthony
Chandler
Amar'e

Douglas, Turiaf, Williams, Walker, Mozgov, Rautins, Jordan

I am not sure we need a guy like Chandler for 10 million.
If he was a great rebounder and defender yes.
I am not saying Chandler is not very good I just think for 10 million he is not worth it.

mafra

Legend
I am not sure we need a guy like Chandler for 10 million.
If he was a great rebounder and defender yes.
I am not saying Chandler is not very good I just think for 10 million he is not worth it.

I disagree only b/c:

1) He's only 23
2) We retain his services under Bird Rights' rule.

In other words, if we sign Anthony to the max... w ehave little cap space left... There is now way we can lure a player even close to WC's ability for a few million a year (if we even have the room to do that). However, since Chandler is our own free agent we can give him big bucks.

So, why not? Not like we would have that 10 mil to spend elsewhere.

skisloper

Starter
I disagree only b/c:

1) He's only 23
2) We retain his services under Bird Rights' rule.

In other words, if we sign Anthony to the max... w ehave little cap space left... There is now way we can lure a player even close to WC's ability for a few million a year (if we even have the room to do that). However, since Chandler is our own free agent we can give him big bucks.

So, why not? Not like we would have that 10 mil to spend elsewhere.

If under the CBA new agreement that all remains the same then YES I agree if it has zero effect on our salary cap then there is no reason not to.