Interesting Knicks article Points in Paint

Teams love playing paintball against Knicks
<hr noshade="noshade" size="1" width="100%"> By Jared Zwerling

Tomorrow night, the Knicks take on the Rockets in Houston -- their second meeting of the season. The first one on November 14 is a game that Amare Stoudemire remembers far too well. If you recall, after the Knicks lost, 104-96 -- their fifth in a row -- Stoudemire publicly criticized his teammates while addressing the media by saying, "You just can't have guys complacent and comfortable with losing. I'm not used to that. We're not playing like we're on a four-game losing streak, now five. We don't have that sense of urgency. It's almost as if it doesn't matter."

Now that the Knicks have dropped three in a row -- their longest losing streak in a month -- you can bet Stoudemire, a co-captain alongside Raymond Felton, will talk to his teammates about coming out with a greater sense of urgency. On the plus side, after that November 14th loss, the Knicks turned the tables and won 13 of their next 15 games. But only two of those teams had records over .500 (the Hornets and Nuggets).

Since their consistent winning ways ended in mid-December, the Knicks' defense has been exposed, especially in the paint, as they're allowing 47.8 points per game there -- second-worst in the league. At this point, there is no question that the Knicks' interior needs more than Stoudemire's vocal leadership and dominating consistency, as he's scored at least 20 points in 25 straight games -- the third-longest streak in Knicks history. Yesterday against the Suns, the matter became more pressing -- even more so than acquiring Carmelo Anthony -- as the Knicks allowed a team, which averages 41.5 points in the paint, to score 58 in that area on the court. Not only that, the Knicks allowed two aging stars, Vince Carter and Grant Hill, to maneuver in the lane easily and score 29 and 25 points, respectively -- way above their season averages.

True, the Knicks knocked off the Suns back on January 7th, 121-96, by excelling in their fast-paced offense (they lead the league in points per game at 107.5). But for them to have any shot at beating the league's elite teams, like the Celtics, Heat, Lakers and Magic, they'll have to add depth to their center position to complement Stoudemire. The charts below show how the Knicks lost a significant edge to those top four teams around the basket, highlighting these four categories: points in the paint, second-chance points, offensive rebounds and total rebounds.

NEW YORK KNICKS STATS
<table> <thead> <tr> <th>GAME</th> <th>PPT</th> <th>2PT</th> <th>ORB</th> <th>TRB</th> </tr> </thead> <tbody> <tr class="last"> <td>10/29/10 NY @ BOS</td> <td>38</td> <td>7</td> <td>9</td> <td>38</td> </tr> <tr class="last"> <td>12/15/10 BOS @ NY</td> <td>50</td> <td>14</td> <td>9</td> <td>35</td> </tr> <tr class="last"> <td>12/17/10 MIA @ NY</td> <td>38</td> <td>19</td> <td>13</td> <td>41</td> </tr> <tr class="last"> <td>12/28/10 NY @ MIA</td> <td>42</td> <td>18</td> <td>9</td> <td>32</td> </tr> <tr class="last"> <td>12/30/10 NY @ ORL</td> <td>40</td> <td>15</td> <td>11</td> <td>35</td> </tr> <tr class="last"> <td>01/09/11 NY @ LAL</td> <td>30</td> <td>9</td> <td>7</td> <td>42</td> </tr> <tr class="last"> <td>Totals</td> <td>238</td> <td>82</td> <td>58</td> <td>223</td> </tr> </tbody> </table>

NEW YORK KNICKS OPPONENTS STATS
<table><thead> <tr> <th>GAME</th> <th>PPT</th> <th>2PT</th> <th>ORB</th> <th>TRB</th> </tr> </thead> <tbody> <tr class="last"> <td>10/29/10 NY @ BOS</td> <td>54</td> <td>16</td> <td>14</td> <td>54</td> </tr> <tr class="last"> <td>12/15/10 BOS @ NY</td> <td>62</td> <td>12</td> <td>11</td> <td>39</td> </tr> <tr class="last"> <td>12/17/10 MIA @ NY</td> <td>46</td> <td>6</td> <td>8</td> <td>45</td> </tr> <tr class="last"> <td>12/28/10 NY @ MIA</td> <td>56</td> <td>22</td> <td>13</td> <td>50</td> </tr> <tr class="last"> <td>12/30/10 NY @ ORL</td> <td>50</td> <td>20</td> <td>17</td> <td>51</td> </tr> <tr class="last"> <td>01/09/11 NY @ LAL</td> <td>50</td> <td>28</td> <td>17</td> <td>61</td> </tr> <tr class="last"> <td>Totals</td> <td>318</td> <td>104</td> <td>80</td> <td>300</td></tr></tbody></table>

Am I the only one that found this interesting? It points out exactly how bad our defense and rebounding has been. The primary reason MDA should grab Moz & AR and say, "look all I need you two guys to do is rebound and play defense, and any points you get are gravy". But of course it aint gonna happen. I'm not going to flame on MDA, but its obvious we need these two guys to help us win in a conventional way...

moneyg

Starter
its not only the bigs.. guards are pentrating at will and there is not secont line of defense..

i think last night the rockets had like 54 points in the paint.. more than half their points... disgusting

yup, it's clear the coach knows very little about Defense. How in the hell does he expect his small rotating unit (that plays uptempo) to have the energy to play man2man....all year long?

In SSOL you have to play a zone defense from time to time so they can catch their breath and not give up so many easy paint buckets. I don't know how people can't see this. I think this is the most stubborness coach we ever had. Is he blind or something? Do he even watches the games to see where they are going wrong. These dudes are gasping for air out there...

its not only the bigs.. guards are pentrating at will and there is not secont line of defense..

i think last night the rockets had like 54 points in the paint.. more than half their points... disgusting

We never cut anyones path to the basket off. Drawing a charge must be against MDA's defensive philosophy...

petescud

Starter
YOu also have to blame our assistant coaches. Believe me i'm not a Dant fan by any means. But aren't the assistants supposed to help out with D too. WE need a big, and we need a Patrick Ewing to train them, as i'm sorry, Herb Williams was a career back up Center, and not very good IMO. Maybe his coaching skills aren't too hot either

moneyg

Starter
YOu also have to blame our assistant coaches. Believe me i'm not a Dant fan by any means. But aren't the assistants supposed to help out with D too. WE need a big, and we need a Patrick Ewing to train them, as i'm sorry, Herb Williams was a career back up Center, and not very good IMO. Maybe his coaching skills aren't too hot either

when ur talking about asssistant coaches include O'antoni in the mix..cuz thats what he is

didnt they want him to hire a defensive coach.????.. but he said no...

theyre his entire staff...his brotha and $hit...except for herb who is always gonna be employed...courtesy of Mr dolan

O'antoni was an assistant coach on team USA.. coach K was the boss...O'antoni was only helping on the Offensive end..i belive Nate Mc was on the staff to...

JUST remember..it really his staff....NO D

petescud

Starter
I just feel bad for STAT. If we don't know how to stop the good teams especially during crunch time, we'll never win a championship. I understand you need the players too. Lets hope we get a stopper underneath and a stopper who can shut/slow down Kobe,LBJ,Wade etc

Then we can put up our 110 points and win